Historical techniques and Exanima

rsdnfsdn

I was thinking, perhaps one way to improve the combat would be to take inspiration from history, and how we know people actually used the weapons involved in Exanima/Sui Generis. For example, when wielding a 1 handed weapon with nothing in the offhand, you could have the wielder hold their offhand behind the back like this:
http://i.imgur.com/EEzysI4.jpg
Also, the general "sideways" nature of the stance provides a smaller target to the enemy and stuff. Perhaps a more "trained" stance could be a learnable skill? Seeing as there are tons and tons of free binds in this game there would be no issue adding a key that could cycle through different stances, something that would be genuinely useful in a game so heavily based on physics.

There's also the manner in which weapons were wielded historically. The most important example, and one that I think games in general miss out on way too often, is the size of a swing. In Exanima (and pretty much every game and movie I can think of) there are these big, dramatic swings going on with tons of wallop, whereas in real life you can gain a ton of momentum out of much shorter, subtler actions. An important part of this would be adding in diagonal attacks by the way.
Again, more experienced (and say, not undead) characters would look and feel significantly more dangerous if they're attacking with the speed and precision of a martial artist.

My suggestion boils down to this: If they haven't done so already, the devs could use historical literature as well as reconstructed martial arts as a baseline to help improve the combat system in a way that is fun and believable. It also just might innately work well because of the physics-based nature of the game. HEMA especially would make a great reference for how swords and stuff were really used.

Last edited:
It would mean alot more work on a very full work-plate but I think it's a very good idea.

If they do go for historical accuracy, I want to be able to perform half-swording. This would be great in close quarters when you're using a two-handed sword and/or fighting a heavily armored opponent. :D

Augsburg_Cod.I.6.4º.2_(Codex_Wallerstein)_107v.jpg

rsdnfsdn

It would mean alot more work on a very full work-plate but I think it's a very good idea.

If they do go for historical accuracy, I want to be able to perform half-swording. This would be great in close quarters when you're using a two-handed sword and/or fighting a heavily armored opponent. :D

View attachment 1463
If you look at the thrust animation for two handed swords it already is a form of half-swording, it's performed pretty much like the way the dude on the left is thrusting.

Buggeroo

Insider
The overswinging, telegraphing and weapons in general being slower and heavier than they would in reality is intentionally done to make the game more controllable. If the characters were moving exactly like real people, it would be impossible to follow what was going on. So it's the ol' gameplay/realism balance.
I know Madoc once mentioned different stances as something they were considering. I don't know if it is still on the table, but it would fit well within the game, I think.

NachoDawg

I don't think the controls will ever be so accurate that we can half-sword like IRL. And then i mean aiming at the helmet slit, or uncovered parts in armor or between plates. There just wont be enough time to aim and guide the half-sword stabs.

That said, I am very much pro-stances. It would be cool to have fighting styles with lore-implications. Or just to add more flavor and make all the NPCs less same-y

MindSliver

It's always a complicated proposition to try and incorporate real life techniques into a video game. There are simply so many nuances that are impossible to control with any thing less than a real brain and real hands and even that would be an over simplification. What I would love to see though is perhaps places you can learn particular "styles" which may grant different stances or guards, enhance the speed or accuracy of parries etc... as most of the finer interactions of sword play are simply not possible.

Fdel

I agree there could be improvement in stances.

But lets face that to move like martial artist would need thousands of tons of coding. Integration muscle- skeleton, muscle resistance and force apply to stop-renew movement. IMHO not feasible. But i may be wrong.

Basicly now theres 2 things that bother me much is this department:
The over bended knee in the fighting stance.
The non linear combat walk.

Tony

Insider
Public test branch?? Are you saying there is a way to test pre-releases? I would love to hear more about that!
When the new arena mode was added Bare Mettle created a beta branch on Steam which people could opt into. This is no longer being used (same version for everyone on Steam now) and they're not sure if they'll use it again for future patches.

This combat is extremely difficult, even after hours of practice, though I do practice in the arena nearly naked. Half swording seems like a stretch, especially in a game with hammers, pole-hammers, maces, etc. Though, a stab to the face will pretty much always hurt haha. I have been working on thrusting for the last couple of hours. It's a great way to lead a fight.

By the way, I found a bug with the controls. I use the mouse left handed, so I have to map actions and whatnot to the arrow keys. Currently crouch wont map to RCTRL and I have to have num-lock off for any of the buttons to work for mapping, which is frustrating when I have my alt-action key set to NUM1, I cant assign an action to the END key. I have to map to the numbers themselves as a workaround, but the control shceme should recognize the different vs the NUM Pad and the numbered keys across the top.

Jenn

MindSliver

This combat is extremely difficult, even after hours of practice, though I do practice in the arena nearly naked. Half swording seems like a stretch, especially in a game with hammers, pole-hammers, maces, etc. Though, a stab to the face will pretty much always hurt haha. I have been working on thrusting for the last couple of hours. It's a great way to lead a fight.

By the way, I found a bug with the controls. I use the mouse left handed, so I have to map actions and whatnot to the arrow keys. Currently crouch wont map to RCTRL and I have to have num-lock off for any of the buttons to work for mapping, which is frustrating when I have my alt-action key set to NUM1, I cant assign an action to the END key. I have to map to the numbers themselves as a workaround, but the control shceme should recognize the different vs the NUM Pad and the numbered keys across the top.

Jenn
If I were you I might just keep num-lock off and map keys directly to ten key pad. 8 being up, 5 being down etc..., gives you a lot of keys right around your arrows at least.

rsdnfsdn

Thought I'd bump this with a little anecdote regarding the whole putting the offhand behind your back thing:
I just watched a hireling of mine fight an (expert level) duel in which she hit her sword-with-no-offhand-weapon opponent in the (unarmored!) left hand three times! Poor opponent, if only she had put her hand somewhere safe!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.