How much content is there?

Natharias

I've tried the arena for about two hours now and always get stumped on the first armored guy (red coat, cap/helmet). Sometimes I think I'm close but I have yet to kill him.

But that's when I'm using a two-handed sword, which seems to be the only weapon I can really use. One-handed weapons are a pain in the rear to use.

So suffice it to say I can't get too far in the regular game. Yes, I do use a shield from the barrels and have alternated between the broken chair leg (the one-handed one due to range), the handsaw, machete, and metal spike (usually for short range encounters).

To the point, what else am I missing? I'm looking over bits and pieces on the wiki but there isn't much on there (or I simply don't know the terms and the links don't lead to them).

I'm not looking for the typical "you go this way, grab this, do that, and end up here". How much does this game branch off, or is it linear like Dungeon Siege and Diablo 3? Is there any method to save your character or is this game all about permanent death? How long have people been playing to get full suits of armor? Is it possible to have friendly NPCs follow and help you?

Tony

Insider
Currently there are three levels to explore but more non-linear content is coming soon. Here are the planned features for the near future of Exanima:

• Per session and global character skill progression
• Large non-linear main game following early content
• Build and permanently save characters by completing early content
• New encounters, items and environments
• Ranged combat and new close quarter manoeuvres
• Numerous moddable thaumaturgic powers
• More complete arena game modes featuring outdoor arenas
• Complex NPC interactions and dialogue
• Cooperative and competitive LAN multiplayer

While playing look for keys, open chests, drawers, cabinets, etc. and just explore the environment well. Some of the lore also includes hints to help you discover secrets so it's worth reading everything you can. You can be relatively decked out in armor by the end of the first or second level.

Last edited:

Natharias

Currently there are three levels to explore but more non-linear content is coming soon. Here are the planned features for the near future of Exanima:

• Per session and global character skill progression
• Large non-linear main game following early content
• Build and permanently save characters by completing early content
• New encounters, items and environments
• Ranged combat and new close quarter manoeuvres
• Numerous moddable thaumaturgic powers
• More complete arena game modes featuring outdoor arenas
• Complex NPC interactions and dialogue
• Cooperative and competitive LAN multiplayer

While playing look for keys, open chests, drawers, cabinets, etc. and just explore the environment well. Some of the lore also includes hints to help you discover secrets so it's also worth reading everything you can.
Yeah I've been looking at everything I can. The very first room taught me that since I found two metal spikes, a two-handed chair leg, one-handed chair leg, and two barrel shields. Very interesting how much I missed on my first playthrough-I fought a zombie with just a torch and was absolutely destroyed so I figured I missed a weapon. Suffice it to say I was shocked I missed four and two shields. LOL

By global character progression do you mean a skill tree (or similar) that applies to all characters at all times, and progress (for the most part) isn't lost?

Edit:

On a more important note, does Physique (strong, skinny, fat, etc) in character generation have any actual in game effect? If not, is it planned?

I know height does make at least a small difference and I seem to like it. Smaller characters have less reach but blocking and dodging is easier, and taller characters have more reach.

Tony

Insider
By global character progression do you mean a skill tree (or similar) that applies to all characters at all times, and progress (for the most part) isn't lost?

Edit:

On a more important note, does Physique (strong, skinny, fat, etc) in character generation have any actual in game effect? If not, is it planned?

I know height does make at least a small difference and I seem to like it. Smaller characters have less reach but blocking and dodging is easier, and taller characters have more reach.
Yes, after you reach a certain point in the game it will act like a checkpoint which you can start from if you die and it will save your character permanently. There will be a skill system that applies to each character individually so you can have several different characters with different builds.

Currently physique does play a role in the game but they plan on adding even more to this and fleshing the system out. Heavier characters seem to have an easier time throwing their weight around and knocking people over. The most noticeable impact currently is height. Tall characters move slightly slower and more "springy" while having a longer reach while more compact characters are slightly faster and seem to have better balance (harder to trip and fall over) but less reach.

Natharias

Yes, after you reach a certain point in the game it will act like a checkpoint which you can start from if you die and it will save your character permanently. There will be a skill system that applies to each character individually so you can have several different characters with different builds.

Currently physique does play a role in the game but they plan on adding even more to this and fleshing the system out. Heavier characters seem to have an easier time throwing their weight around and knocking people over. The most noticeable impact currently is height. Tall characters move slightly slower and more "springy" while having a longer reach while more compact characters are slightly faster and seem to have better balance (harder to trip and fall over) but less reach.
Do you know how much physique makes a difference? And I'm specifically looking at muscle, skinny, and weight. Do you have more life or take slightly less damage with more fat, or does it just make you easier to hit?

Tony

Insider
Do you know how much physique makes a difference? And I'm specifically looking at muscle, skinny, and weight. Do you have more life or take slightly less damage with more fat, or does it just make you easier to hit?
I'm not sure on how much they've already implemented in regards to the physique system. Madoc or one of the other devs would have to clarify. I'm fairly certain I remember Madoc saying all human characters have the same amount of "life".

Natharias

I'm not sure on how much they've already implemented in regards to the physique system. Madoc or one of the other devs would have to clarify. I'm fairly certain I remember Madoc saying all human characters have the same amount of "life".
Yeah, I think that's what keeps this game interesting. Each enemy seems to have about the same life, so that leaves you at a disadvantage if your life is permanently lost.

It would be interesting if physique did alter your life (or damage mitigation), damage dealt, and so on.

On another side note, is there a limit to the inventory other than items being visually over another item?

Tony

Insider
Yeah, I think that's what keeps this game interesting. Each enemy seems to have about the same life, so that leaves you at a disadvantage if your life is permanently lost.

It would be interesting if physique did alter your life (or damage mitigation), damage dealt, and so on.

On another side note, is there a limit to the inventory other than items being visually over another item?
Currently there is no limit but this will be changing soon. Again, not sure about the details but Madoc has mentioned it's changing.

Natharias

I just saw all of the Youtube videos (excluding music) on the BareMettle account. Amazing game.

The only thing I don't like is how low the life seemed to be on that goliath; a few good hits and it went down. But besides that, this is now my favorite ARPG of all.

Cpt Dave

Supporter
In a few words: there is not a lot.

You can beat the two arenas, each offer ten enemies and are progressively more challenging, you can practice the combat and get to take a look at some of the high level loot of the game. It took me two or three hours to beat both arenas, and it was certainly satisfying.

Now about the campaign.
There are three levels. It took me about five hours to completely clear the whole game, although about two of those hours was just looking for the exit on a completely cleared level. On level two it is quite easy to get lost. It would be nice to have a map.

I killed everything that moved, took everything that was not nailed down, and read every book, log, diary, scroll which is currently the main tool of storytelling in the game. And I must say most of the things in the game are worth reading and not ridiculously lengthy, unlike in some other games. (Skyrim)

The problem with the story mode is that there is not a lot of replayability. Most of the new items introduced in the launch update that I've found were just recolored versions of the same item (I found some baby blue leather gauntlets), except for two of them, the leather vest and the chain coif.
The randomized loot is nice, but not enough to warrant multiple playthroughs. And if have already completed the game once and you know the way, you can basically just run through all three levels in under five minutes, without almost any combat.

While the game is certainly enjoyable and has a lot of potential, it is low in content. After 8-10 hours all you can really do is do arena runs every once in a while, and wait for the next update.

Gameplay tips:
You don't have to fight everything. You can go the other way, close doors, or just stay still, sometimes enemies will just walk right past you.

I found that they are really easy to defeat with overhead attacks with two-handed weapons. (Metal rods, a rusty axe, some polearns, and a rusty sword can be found on the first level. And don't use the sledgehammer, it's terribly slow.)

I know it's a chore to keep switching between your torch and your weapon, and picking up and dropping your torch in the dark, but the two handed weapons give you a significant advantage in reach and damage.

You can find leather vests, gambesons and padded trousers on level one, but it's scattered all over the place.

Location of more valuable loot:
Level 1, locked prison, the key is on an npc in a long dark tunnel. You can get some leather armor. Although since they are in a chest, I don't know if the randomized loot changed this.

Level 2, there is a big armory, it has everything your heart desires, but I don't remember the keys location, also there is an npc that has chain shirt and leggings.

Level 3, tailor workshop for leather/cloth armor and one or two armories. There is also at least one skeleton who wears a breastplate.
If you really find yourself dying too often you can manually make a copy of the save file.
You can find it in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Exanima\Exanima.rsg in Windows 8.1, but you need to be able to see hidden folders/files.

Last edited:

Natharias

In a few words: there is not a lot.
Yeah, I figured unique content (unique meaning actually different) would be low since the game was just released and is from a low-fund company. I'm sure much more will be added later though, it's well worth $12 to me.

As to two-handers, they are easier for me in the arena. But I've started using a torch/barrel shield combo to great effect. I almost cleared the first level (at least I think most of it) with it without taking permanent damage. But I slipped and ended up cornering myself amongst two enemies and a half-broken crate. One got a lucky shot and nabbed me in the face while the other hit the back of my neck.

I think I'm leaning towards shields because of the up-close-and-personal effect; when you run into an enemy it can mess up their movements, and this is deadly against two-handers. The only one I don't do it to is the sickle-ended two-hander, since it can cut when you pull back. I need a reliable method for other shields though...

Many thanks for all of the effort guys. Learning quite a bit.

Holy.Death

Insider
To the point, what else am I missing? I'm looking over bits and pieces on the wiki but there isn't much on there (or I simply don't know the terms and the links don't lead to them).

I'm not looking for the typical "you go this way, grab this, do that, and end up here". How much does this game branch off, or is it linear like Dungeon Siege and Diablo 3? Is there any method to save your character or is this game all about permanent death? How long have people been playing to get full suits of armor? Is it possible to have friendly NPCs follow and help you?
- Game doesn't really "branch off", but it has enemies moving around, each fight can be different (as they aren't scripted) and randomly generated content in chests helps adding some variety to each playthrough.

- You can heal with a specific items, but it's a luxury. That's why getting good armor is the key to survival (or learning how to use shield or two-handed weapons effectively, or even avoiding fights at start). By the end of the 1st level you should have some basic gear to help you survive without healing (unless enemy hits something vital, like your unprotected head). Some cool gear can be found at level 2, I think, although there are some nice items on level 3 too.

- You are missing some lore and storyline bits, but they are just that: bits. Pieces of text telling you what might be going on - just as likely - serving as a decoy to introduce some confusion (because some stuff you can read might not necessarily be linked to the storyline).

- NPCs are yet to come. Same goes for skills and more combat moves that'll help keep game fresh.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.