Idea on making combat even cooler

Cool?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
Hello,

I just want to share this idea with you developers.

You got a great physic engine currently. It feels very realistic. Combat would be even more cooler and realistic if the played had more influence on the attack swings and also parry.

Here my idea:
Currently many players own a so called MMO mouse with up to 16 buttons. Example Razer Naga Croma (pls google a picture). Imagine if the numbers 1-6 were attack directions like
3 - swing from upper left
6 - swing from upper right
2 - swing from middle left
5 - swing from middle right
1 - swing from lower left
4 - swing from lower right
The numbers 7-12 would be the suitable parry for being attacked from the directions. e.g. 9 would be the parry for 3.

LMB/RMB and the mousewheel could be used for a full overhead and a stab and its parry.

In summary, it would be a great rock, paper scissor concept and make combat suuuuper intense.

You could even add a "speedometer" like in FIFA (or at least have one in the background if it would be an atmosphere killer).
If a players holds a button shortly it will be a fast but not hard strike. If held longer, it will be slower but heavier and the opponent will feel more impact when blocking and be more moved away.

With your physic engine and this mechanic...the game would be outstanding, phenomenal...

BR,
Andy

CalenLoki

I'm all for more attack angles, but requiring all the players to own specific mouse to be able to utilize them all is a no-go IMO. Not to mention that remembering all the mapping would be real pain.
3 buttons (and their combinations) should be enough for weapon at any point.

Regarding manual parry - it's super fun in M&B, but here camera is way to far to read opponent clearly and quick enough.

MindSliver

The system you've mapped out there is actually remarkably similar to an old old game called "Die by the Sword" it was a 3rd person hack and slash that used the ten key number pad to control the sword in almost exactly the way you described. Die by the Sword was awesome BUT very unwieldy and extremely difficult to produce any kind of efficient attacks and that was with no mouse involved at all. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to control both the sword and the character using the mouse at the same time but in different ways.

Personally I rather like the simplicity of the Sui Generis system in comparison. There aren't that many types of attacks but how you use them and how well makes all the difference. Instead of focusing on your ability to block everything you focus on your ability to use your measure and your tempo to be in the right place at the right time. I honestly would like to see more efficient angles of attack or maybe a smart system for attacking obvious targets though as with the current system if I attack right I almost always hit legs and if I attack left I almost always hit the right shoulder or the head. If not precise, at least it's reliable.

Just some thoughts about your answers.
@CalenLoki
There are comparable mouse options for about 30 Euros. For me it would go in the same direction as buying a controller to play FIFA.
The Mapping is done once and maybe takes 10 minutes since the keys are for example 1-0 and Numpad 1-0.
@MindSliver
Have your maybe played Chivalry? Here you have 5 directions. Ok ist 1st person. Exanima would need a higher zoom. But WASD + Mouse + the Sidekeys would definitely be possible. It would need some practise of couse. And you could btw. still use tempo and distance with strategy.

CalenLoki

The point is - you can use all FIFA features with K+M, and you suggest that angled strikes are achievable only using such special mouse.
I googled MMB, and it could work indeed. But for sure as one of options, and not the only one.

MindSliver

@MindSliver
Have your maybe played Chivalry? Here you have 5 directions. Ok ist 1st person. Exanima would need a higher zoom. But WASD + Mouse + the Sidekeys would definitely be possible. It would need some practise of couse. And you could btw. still use tempo and distance with strategy.
Actually I have played chivalry, and Mount and Blade, and one hell of a lot of War of the Roses/War of the Vikings haha. But in all those games you use the mouse to both look and control the weapon (though it's done with animations and not physics) and they all have a very high learning curve that produces a brutal environment for beginners. don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it couldn't be usable. But adding an additional control scheme on top of an already difficult control scheme may just end up creating an even greater barrier to entry. that's all I'm saying.

NachoDawg

The idea of everyone buying a 30 euro mouse aside,

If a players holds a button shortly it will be a fast but not hard strike. If held longer, it will be slower but heavier and the opponent will feel more impact when blocking and be more moved away.

With your physic engine and this mechanic...the game would be outstanding, phenomenal...

BR,
Andy

That is not how physics work

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.