Implementation of a stamina bar,a drop item key, uncomplicate arena management

NachoDawg

Hardcoreness has nothing to do with it, lmao

Anyway, drop the "stamina" bar and just have the character's movement and behaviour reflect getting tired. Less clutter on the UI, and you don't itemize and gamify just being out of breath

I'm all for not being able to swing endlessly if it fits the planned game design

MindSliver

I think stamina is less of a big deal than people think. As a fencer I can tell you that there is lots of opportunity to rest in the average fight. In a boxing match or wrestling match where every moment is spent either punching or grasping or fighting yes stamina is a big issue. But honestly if you look at the way the fights go down in Exanima stamina would be meaningless. how many people do you fight in a row in the campaign? 1? 2? 3 maximum? anyone that's not a complete noob would be able to fight through 3-6 matches to the death without breaking a sweat. At several events I've fought for as long as 3-4 hours with only 5 -10 minutes rest every now and then between fights and I never reached a point where I could no longer defend myself.

I think adding a stamina bar would be a useless endeavor that would only ever come into play if our characters were severely out of shape couch potatoes and if the weren't it would simply not come into play. Why muss up the system with stuff that isn't fun?

NachoDawg

I think stamina is less of a big deal than people think. As a fencer I can tell you that there is lots of opportunity to rest in the average fight. In a boxing match or wrestling match where every moment is spent either punching or grasping or fighting yes stamina is a big issue. But honestly if you look at the way the fights go down in Exanima stamina would be meaningless. how many people do you fight in a row in the campaign? 1? 2? 3 maximum? anyone that's not a complete noob would be able to fight through 3-6 matches to the death without breaking a sweat. At several events I've fought for as long as 3-4 hours with only 5 -10 minutes rest every now and then between fights and I never reached a point where I could no longer defend myself.

I think adding a stamina bar would be a useless endeavor that would only ever come into play if our characters were severely out of shape couch potatoes and if the weren't it would simply not come into play. Why muss up the system with stuff that isn't fun?
your realistic approach and input is appreciated , but a blanket statement that stamina management as a game mechanic is not "fun" is unfounded :p

Fdel

I agree from your POV but let me totally disagree.
What your style of fencing ? If its olympic, i ve done it too, saber, and with all due respect, its toothpick fight, and It cannot be a reference at all to exanima combat.
If it is EMA fencing, ken-jutsu, then my entire respect, but the considerations below would apply.

How many fight did you do with one opponent willing to kill you, not just marking point, with weaponry bad at stabbing and most of all cutting ? (because stabbing in exanima is horribly slow and energyless. (i think some adjustment should be done)
How many time did you fight bleeding or wounded ?
How many time did you fight many opponents ?

Since the video below can be offensive, i made a small change so it wouldn t bring the video.
[*media=youtube] AYoDV2jjd9M[/media]

Here an example out of dojo... for how much time can you keep it up...now imagine with 2 opponents...
Of course its a game and other considerations kick in.

There could always have a "basic mode" and a "hardcore mode"

MindSliver

I agree from your POV but let me totally disagree.
What your style of fencing ? If its olympic, i ve done it too, saber, and with all due respect, its toothpick fight, and It cannot be a reference at all to exanima combat.
If it is EMA fencing, ken-jutsu, then my entire respect, but the considerations below would apply.

How many fight did you do with one opponent willing to kill you, not just marking point, with weaponry bad at stabbing and most of all cutting ? (because stabbing in exanima is horribly slow and energyless. (i think some adjustment should be done)
How many time did you fight bleeding or wounded ?
How many time did you fight many opponents ?

Since the video below can be offensive, i made a small change so it wouldn t bring the video.
[*media=youtube] AYoDV2jjd9M[/media]

Here an example out of dojo... for how much time can you keep it up...now imagine with 2 opponents...
Of course its a game and other considerations kick in.

There could always have a "basic mode" and a "hardcore mode"
I'm a historical fencer, mostly Rapier (not the toothpicky kind, an average rapier weighs about as much as an arming sword it's just longer and thinner instead of shorter and broader) and I also fight long sword (much more cutting) and I've fought in armor with sword and shield as well, though less often. Our play style even with rapier involves cuts as well as thrusts. I would say that in a single average fight with one person we may fight for 5-10 minutes and go through 10-15 "kills" before we're sweating. Considering that my average fight with a zombie or even skeleton is less than 30 seconds to a maximum of maybe a minute against an armored human, I can easily fight 5-6 before I even start to slow down. We do fight multiple opponents at times which honestly is not really more tiring, it's more about maintaining measure and ensuring you don't get flanked. in fact in some ways there's more movement and less actual fighting.

I suppose my objection to a stamina bar is mostly based on my perceived function of a stamina bar. in most games I've played, once you run out of stamina you can no longer attack/defend/whatever hard penalty is imposed. Let me just say that I have never in my life been so tired that I could no longer attack or defend. slowed? sure but at the same time if I'm slowing down then my opponent is slowing down too, and we both take more time to rest because we both want to hit the important part of the fight with the energy to kill and survive. but the actual attack/defense portion doesn't slow down. the pace of the fight slows. the delay between clashes grows.

My fear with slowing down the characters animations when tired or injured is that once someone gets winged or tired their attacks and defenses are less effective, less reliable and easier to overcome. so whoever gets that first hit has an easy path to victory. It's like gun ship games. you fight an enemy one on one and and it's just a war of attrition with the goal to do more damage and take less to win... but then if you encounter a second enemy you automatically lose. because you cannot stop from taking some damage and you're already at a disadvantage. You lose not because your opponent is better than you but because there is nothing you can do about it. Nothing burns my ass more than feeling like I lost to some BS mechanic. Stamina being the worst offender. and in a game with perma death the last thing you want is cheap deaths.

Stamina systems don't take into consideration the human predilection for reaching deep down and pulling out reserves of energy/strength/willpower to overcome in extreme situation which, let's face it, is exactly what we'd be eliminating with a stamina bar.

Anyways, there's my stamina rant for the year haha.

Last edited:
I can't imagine characters getting any more tired (oh wait I can, pre 6.2 lol)

If our steps and swings were really quick with no armour and full stanima then maybe it could be a reason to fight naked. A lot of stuff would be balanced around this and it's pretty much an archetype in rpg/hack-and-slash games (something Exanima doesn't seem to care much about). Besides, there are skills and more to come. I'm sure they're bound to be tweaked a lot or even changed completely. Wearing heavy armour now without the skills makes you slower etc.. Putting a cost on every swing too could get annoying and lead to walking around tables to regen stamina to get a swing and run to the other end of the table or whatever lol...
The way it is, our character is still quite clumbsy and 'tired' and having penalties to make you drunk again would just be tedious.

I'm pretty sure there won't ever be a visible stanima bar on the hud.. Well I hope there won't be lol..
Just my 2c

Fdel

I'm a historical fencer, mostly Rapier (not the toothpicky kind, an average rapier weighs about as much as an arming sword it's just longer and thinner instead of shorter and broader) and I also fight long sword (much more cutting) and I've fought in armor with sword and shield as well, though less often. Our play style even with rapier involves cuts as well as thrusts. I would say that in a single average fight with one person we may fight for 5-10 minutes and go through 10-15 "kills" before we're sweating. Considering that my average fight with a zombie or even skeleton is less than 30 seconds to a maximum of maybe a minute against an armored human, I can easily fight 5-6 before I even start to slow down. We do fight multiple opponents at times which honestly is not really more tiring, it's more about maintaining measure and ensuring you don't get flanked. in fact in some ways there's more movement and less actual fighting.

I suppose my objection to a stamina bar is mostly based on my perceived function of a stamina bar. in most games I've played, once you run out of stamina you can no longer attack/defend/whatever hard penalty is imposed. Let me just say that I have never in my life been so tired that I could no longer attack or defend. slowed? sure but at the same time if I'm slowing down then my opponent is slowing down too, and we both take more time to rest because we both want to hit the important part of the fight with the energy to kill and survive. but the actual attack/defense portion doesn't slow down. the pace of the fight slows. the delay between clashes grows.

My fear with slowing down the characters animations when tired or injured is that once someone gets winged or tired their attacks and defenses are less effective, less reliable and easier to overcome. so whoever gets that first hit has an easy path to victory. It's like gun ship games. you fight an enemy one on one and and it's just a war of attrition with the goal to do more damage and take less to win... but then if you encounter a second enemy you automatically lose. because you cannot stop from taking some damage and you're already at a disadvantage. You lose not because your opponent is better than you but because there is nothing you can do about it. Nothing burns my ass more than feeling like I lost to some BS mechanic. Stamina being the worst offender. and in a game with perma death the last thing you want is cheap deaths.

Stamina systems don't take into consideration the human predilection for reaching deep down and pulling out reserves of energy/strength/willpower to overcome in extreme situation which, let's face it, is exactly what we'd be eliminating with a stamina bar.

Anyways, there's my stamina rant for the year haha.
My fear with slowing down the characters animations when tired or injured is that once someone gets winged or tired their attacks and defenses are less effective, less reliable and easier to overcome. so whoever gets that first hit has an easy path to victory
I understand your worrying and this requer adjustment, but i will use another kind of logic to make my point:
If the first punch in the face can be the winner, i don t see why the first mace on your ribs can t be a winner...ribs are important for breathing and breathing is important to maintain a any fighting stance.
What the hell take a good shin blow or 2 on your tight and i wan t to see you remain with unaltered with 100% of your celerity..now imagina a metalic blow on it.
Of course we can t do that ingame...but i think there s room for something in between.
So.
I don t see much thing amiss here depending on the blow (let say red bar status).
As i sayd, stamina can t be implemented as an option for those who want to add a layer more of "realism" maybe.

Your experience is interesting and ok, but it doesn t seem anything near someone wearing a full plate, above a layer of chain, above a layer of leather, above a layer of cloth, slashing and thrusting a halberd around, trying to bypass a metalic, hard leather or wooden protection.
i would say the physics of it speak for itself, as it will generate energy that must be controled by muscle that will generate heat, muscle must be feed by oxigen, that won t come because of an helmet, heat won t dissipate because of the armor,and and so on.
Put something of a tae know do armor and try bashing, thrusting with enought force to generate inconvenience, things... get a bit more... diferent. Most trusts will be useless as they ll slide on the armor...so you ll neeed something more energetic.
My experience with fighting is a bit more violent, fighting to bring your opponent to a cease and desist state or make it sleep. It can be quick...but, as both are trained, it usually isn t. Ok the country is hot.. above 30° is normal. But 3 minutes of fight is enought to take its toll on most normal (non not even semi professional people)

MindSliver

I understand your worrying and this requer adjustment, but i will use another kind of logic to make my point:
If the first punch in the face can be the winner, i don t see why the first mace on your ribs can t be a winner...ribs are important for breathing and breathing is important to maintain a any fighting stance.
What the hell take a good shin blow or 2 on your tight and i wan t to see you remain with unaltered with 100% of your celerity..now imagina a metalic blow on it.
Of course we can t do that ingame...but i think there s room for something in between.
So.
I don t see much thing amiss here depending on the blow (let say red bar status).
As i sayd, stamina can t be implemented as an option for those who want to add a layer more of "realism" maybe.

Your experience is interesting and ok, but it doesn t seem anything near someone wearing a full plate, above a layer of chain, above a layer of leather, above a layer of cloth, slashing and thrusting a halberd around, trying to bypass a metalic, hard leather or wooden protection.
i would say the physics of it speak for itself, as it will generate energy that must be controled by muscle that will generate heat, muscle must be feed by oxigen, that won t come because of an helmet, heat won t dissipate because of the armor,and and so on.
Put something of a tae know do armor and try bashing, thrusting with enought force to generate inconvenience, things... get a bit more... diferent. Most trusts will be useless as they ll slide on the armor...so you ll neeed something more energetic.
My experience with fighting is a bit more violent, fighting to bring your opponent to a cease and desist state or make it sleep. It can be quick...but, as both are trained, it usually isn t. Ok the country is hot.. above 30° is normal. But 3 minutes of fight is enought to take its toll on most normal (non not even semi professional people)
We as the the blows that can end fights. we already have those, you take a nice head shot with a voulge before you get a helmet and it may very well be the end of your game. Even a punch can knock you out in one. The yellow bar simulates that very effectively already.

Don't get me wrong friend, I'm not saying that stamina doesn't exist and having fought in armor on a number of occasions as well as doing boxing, jiu jitsu, capoeira etc... I can certainly say that you're right. it's much more difficulty and tiring to do so. What I'm saying is that the amount of time we spend fighting in Exanima is much less than what we generally spend fighting in say a sparring session. If you have been fighting an opponent in Exanima for 3 minutes then you're doing something wrong. In a sparring session you don't stop when you've "won" you continue to fight the same person multiple times. In the arena someone should be dead long before they become tired. In the campaign you have ample opportunities to rest between fights, even when encountering 2-3 violent enemies.

I think the more important thing though is figuring out how to deal with the stamina issue. What happens when you run out of stamina? is that the point of exhaustion when you actually pass out? or do we restrict the player from attacking? defending? what purpose does the stamina bar serve? How do you punish them for not being more efficient? But most importantly... does it make sense?

I'll give you an example. Skyrim had a stamina system, and at the end of your stamina bar you were no longer able to attack. Well unless you were willing to put all of your points into stamina (which I usually did until I had about 200 points) then you'd be exhausted after swinging your sword a mere 10 times or so. I found this highly annoying because I chose to play a mainly melee fighter and I really resented having to stand there like a lump taking shots waiting for my stamina to recharge so I can continue playing the game. Especially since I could easily swing my sword more than that in real life. So I worked and worked and every single level I pumped up my stamina until I didn't have to worry about it. So instead of using my points for interesting things I used them to offset a bullshit mechanic that stopped me from playing the game. but now I could say, "well I guess I'm in good enough shape to play the game now" it was completely meta.

Anyways I think we've beaten this dead horse long enough haha. Cheers.

Fdel

We as the the blows that can end fights. we already have those, you take a nice head shot with a voulge before you get a helmet and it may very well be the end of your game. Even a punch can knock you out in one. The yellow bar simulates that very effectively already.
Totally agree about permanent and temporary damage.
But we re not discussing that. one point of the discussion is lack of stamina which comes by damage too.

Don't get me wrong friend, I'm not saying that stamina doesn't exist and having fought in armor on a number of occasions as well as doing boxing, jiu jitsu, capoeira etc... I can certainly say that you're right. it's much more difficulty and tiring to do so. What I'm saying is that the amount of time we spend fighting in Exanima is much less than what we generally spend fighting in say a sparring session. If you have been fighting an opponent in Exanima for 3 minutes then you're doing something wrong. In a sparring session you don't stop when you've "won" you continue to fight the same person multiple times. In the arena someone should be dead long before they become tired. In the campaign you have ample opportunities to rest between fights, even when encountering 2-3 violent enemies.
It seems to me you have mastered the combat beyond what the AI can offer you. Congrats! i m far from it, my fight goes well beyond 3 minutes. So you are facing another problem, lack of challenge.
That is another problem, that stamina implementation may, maybe, help to solve adding an extra layer of challenge. ;)

I think the more important thing though is figuring out how to deal with the stamina issue. What happens when you run out of stamina? is that the point of exhaustion when you actually pass out? or do we restrict the player from attacking? defending? what purpose does the stamina bar serve? How do you punish them for not being more efficient? But most importantly... does it make sense?
My suggestion? Mimic reality.
You get slow, defense and attack, so you better conserve energy to do a good blow than keep worthlessly trashing around.
You re stamina is low ? you better get defensive and wait for it to replenish, which IMO should be fast (relatively fast) to not hinder gameplay much. (i think here lies the challenge of adjustment)
Stamina bar cannot be superior than the maximum yellow bar. (total bar minus red bar)
Cannot be superior than 150% than the actual yellow bar.
Out of stamina 100% you can walk and defend, dont expect your attacks to have much effectiveness, or any.
Stamina regenerate way faster when you are totally static. (like waiting to see whose of those 2 last combatant in fray will win)

I agree that the yellow bar, today, simulate partially stamina and in this partially is well done.
What i would do if a stamina bar is implemented is make the yellow bar grow faster.

I'll give you an example. Skyrim had a stamina system, and at the end of your stamina bar you were no longer able to attack. Well unless you were willing to put all of your points into stamina (which I usually did until I had about 200 points) then you'd be exhausted after swinging your sword a mere 10 times or so. I found this highly annoying because I chose to play a mainly melee fighter and I really resented having to stand there like a lump taking shots waiting for my stamina to recharge so I can continue playing the game. Especially since I could easily swing my sword more than that in real life. So I worked and worked and every single level I pumped up my stamina until I didn't have to worry about it. So instead of using my points for interesting things I used them to offset a bullshit mechanic that stopped me from playing the game. but now I could say, "well I guess I'm in good enough shape to play the game now" it was completely meta.
Although i don t totally like the stamina bar in Skyrim, i find it sound.
You have to consider the mistake of practically all games that have RPG have in them. At the beginning your a dried chickenshit, your usually way below a normal person. IMHO this is a error in concept.
You have to consider 2 others fact:
1) People that have some training, or some good degree in fitness (fighting requirement and fitness requirement aren t quite the same, the breathing management and muscular demand maybe totally diferent ( i know you know it)), usually easely forget how "normal" people, especially unfit people, are weak, slow, unable to stand damage, and some time weak willed. Not all minds are fit, nor made for combat.
Tell me that have you never received criticism, even just voice tone or look, for practicing martial arts of fun and interesting, as if you were some weird person ? Looked as if you are an alien ? Someone that should invest his time in something more usefull. And, in some extreme case, a violence lover ? And i ll call you a lier!!! :) (unless all your friend are in military, police and train martial arts).
2) When you are used to fight, or a similar experience, those weak settings piss you even more than a normal person, because you compare your caracter to your own aptitudes... and it seems super duper overly weak.

There s another fact here. In skyrim and others similar games, one of the basic concepts is specialization. Fighters are supposed to get stamina and life, mage mana and life.
So its totally normal that you pumped stamina, it is what was expected of your, and in such, cull your grow in other habilities.
What wasn t expected of you, was you taking few stamina, remain a fighter an manage your swings.

What i disagree in Skyrim bar is exactly what you dislike. The fact that you couldn t parry anymore, and could only dodge via moving, and even that not much.
But seek in your memory... Have you never seen newbies to any martial sport that can only sit and breath after a short time, in a combat it could be the very: sit and die. (or start running and pray or ask for mercy)
In my experience, unfit people can only swing a "heavy" (so daggers and the like are off the radar) weapons a certain munber of time until it ain t effective anymore.
Not because the weapon won t hurt anymore, but because it will be so slow and so weak that parrying or dodging wil be kid joke.

Although IMO it make sense IRL, gamewise it s not fun.
So a good solution, slowness, to me seem to be. You swing your weapon /rise shield a bit too late to parry effectively, your movement are slow and the ennemy, presuming he has better stamina, parry you with ease. So your start moving around to avoid blows, and get yout breath back.

Also this could breath some usefullness to the "forfeit combat" option which actually, is quite useless, since you can keep battling with 10% of life (temporary or not) as if you had 100%.

[/quote]Anyways I think we've beaten this dead horse long enough haha. Cheers.[/quote]
Relax, conversation, even in antagonist way, is enriching.

Elaxter

Insider
Dark Souls is the only game where the generic stamina bar works. It recharges very fast, and there are plenty of ways to increase the rate at which it recharges, making it almost a non-issue.

In the GURPS system, your character has fatigue points (FP) that they can spend to put extra oomph into their actions. 1 FP (and only 1!) is spent after you reach 10 seconds (10 turns) in battle at no encumbrance, but the GM can decide that after a few more minutes in battle, more FP can be spent. You can also spend FP points to get better odds or benefits when doing an attack, but you must make a roll against your HT. A critical failure means you hurt yourself!

I think something like that should be applied to Exanima.

The absence of a Stamina bar was a surprise to me when I began playing. I take it none of you have ever played Severance: Blade of Darkness? That was an excellent midevil fighting game on PC circa 2000 or so. Your stamina bar was depleted by activity, with larger weapons draining more. Some weapons were too heavy for your character to swing effectively, and would deplete your energy in one swing--if you could even muster it. When your stamina drained, your swings and movements were extremely hindered. It did replenish readily enough, so if you stepped back to "catch your breath" and moved defensively in combat, you could resume normally.

The mechanic worked well. That being said, with how nuanced combat is in Exanima, I'm not entirely sure it's necessary. Someone swinging wildly is going to pay for it. Heavy armor changes your freedom of movement. The tactical consideration of stamina might cross the line of verisimilitude and into something less enjoyable.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.