Jumping, and the like

Parco

probably shouldnt consume too much stamina, i can take myself as an example, im very untrained and cant jog for 30 meters even before i start breathing heavily but i still wouldnt have problem jumping over 1 meter high obstacles and can do it for a little while before i feel tired. and this is as good as, if not even better, than some games with "highly trained" soldiers is able to do, similar to this this.
and i agree that the wight of your equipment should make it so you drain stamina faster, but even when wearing only cloths i seriously hope it wont drain unrealistically fast as if you were a "soon to be fat" untrained guy as i am :p

nox

Insider
But that would really limit the player, let me have control over my character.
Just make it consume a lot of stamina, so you can't bunny jump and I think it would be good.
Sure if it was a leap to the side or a doge while in combat, but that is a different matter.
But why would you want to be able to just jump straight up in the air in an isometric game? That makes no sense.

On another note though, if jumping is included I hope it takes in mind your armour. So if you got some heavy armour equipped you can't really jump. (This should take your inventory in account as well, so you cant just put it all in your inventory, jump over the obstacle, and then equip it again.)
Yes I like this. :)

Parco

But why would you want to be able to just jump straight up in the air in an isometric game? That makes no sense.
ants maybe(or other dangerous insects), rolling barrels/stones or traps.
if they add the possibility to jump/climb over obstacles it would feel a little stupid not being able to jump elsewhere.

nox

Insider
ants maybe(or other dangerous insects), rolling barrels/stones or traps.
if they add the possibility to jump/climb over obstacles it would feel a little stupid not being able to jump elsewhere.
Yeah but like someone else said, how do you know how high you are jumping? Trying to avoid a rolling barrel by jumping over it seems like a really frustrating and ineffective way if you don't know whether you'll clear it or snag your feet on it and die horribly. If there is such traps maybe a sideways dodge would be better.

Parco

snag your feet on it and die horribly.
i would find that funny :p it might be easiest/best just have roll/dive and possibly a climb ability so you can climb on top of tables and other stuff. would also be fun if they made it possibly to climb on enemies, like porky, climb on top of his back and stab him in his head, and smaller enemies would fall over and it would simply be a takedown ability, useful for assassinating or capturing people alive if that is part of some quest or something.

Komuflage

Insider
Yeah but like someone else said, how do you know how high you are jumping? Trying to avoid a rolling barrel by jumping over it seems like a really frustrating and ineffective way if you don't know whether you'll clear it or snag your feet on it and die horribly. If there is such traps maybe a sideways dodge would be better.
Why wouldn't I know how high my character can jump? Sure it's isometric but it's still 3D.
Ever played BG: Dark alliance (1/2)? you could jump in that game, in the same manner as most games, simply run in a direction and press the jump key. I at least had no problem with it.

nox

Insider
Why wouldn't I know how high my character can jump? Sure it's isometric but it's still 3D.
Ever played BG: Dark alliance (1/2)? you could jump in that game, in the same manner as most games, simply run in a direction and press the jump key. I at least had no problem with it.
Why you wouldn't know is because your view is from the top, it might be hard to judge the vertical distance. Sure it is a 3D game but I think the camera will be locked.

Well to be fair I haven't really seen it in any isometric game (except d2/3 barbarian leap :p), I'm just guessing what it might be like. Maybe you are right and it would work great. I'll just have to see. :)

Another thing I thought about is a jumping animations tends to get boring if it's the same vertical jump all the time. My original idea with the automatic climb/jump/vault mechanic was that the animation would be different and fit each different object. Like a fence would be vaulted over while a rock might be climbed up on or a small stone stepped over with a big step. :)

Komuflage

Insider
Why you wouldn't know is because your view is from the top, it might be hard to judge the vertical distance. Sure it is a 3D game but I think the camera will be locked.

Well to be fair I haven't really seen it in any isometric game (except d2/3 barbarian leap :p), I'm just guessing what it might be like. Maybe you are right and it would work great. I'll just have to see. :)

Another thing I thought about is a jumping animations tends to get boring if it's the same vertical jump all the time. My original idea with the automatic climb/jump/vault mechanic was that the animation would be different and fit each different object. Like a fence would be vaulted over while a rock might be climbed up on or a small stone stepped over with a big step. :)
BG:DA is a isometric game :p

I don't think it would get any more boring than a running animation, or whatever animation really.
And even if there would be different climbing animations for each type of object, wouldn't you get bored with those as well?

At least, imo it's not worth it to sacrifice player control in order to have more animations (And who's to say you can't have Climbing and jumping?)

Reactions: nox

nox

Insider
BG:DA is a isometric game :p
Yeah I got that :), I was just saying I haven't played it. :p

I don't think it would get any more boring than a running animation, or whatever animation really.
And even if there would be different climbing animations for each type of object, wouldn't you get bored with those as well?
What I meant was that there will be more variation and more realistic animations, but yeah sure after a while you will have seen them all. Maybe having a jump action that detects what kind of object you are facing and responding with the correct animation (I think a lot of games have this.). And if you aren't standing standing close to anything it will just be a normal jump in the air. (I still don't see a point in doing this :p)
At least, imo it's not worth it to sacrifice player control in order to have more animations (And who's to say you can't have Climbing and jumping?)
But the only "control" you'd not have is jumping up and down on the spot, which to me isn't that important anyways. :) But I agree that there could be both and that it's not really a big deal. :)

martino

Insider
I can see it now,

Ogre combat tactic:
1) Swing Flail
2) If puny human attempts dive/ roll out of the way stomp on their head.
3) Repeat above steps until human dead

Komuflage

Insider
But the only "control" you'd not have is jumping up and down on the spot, which to me isn't that important anyways. :) But I agree that there could be both and that it's not really a big deal. :)
What if there's a small river and ju want to jump over it? Or if you're on a big rock, and want to jump to another big rock.
Point is, if they're to include jumping, instead of making it automatic, just make it player controlled, nothing to loose, more to gain. (Again, imo)

Green

Insider
Sure it is a 3D game but I think the camera will be locked.
Just wanted to point out that it isn't locked, and it seems you can rotate the view as well as zoom in.

In any case, I'd find rolling more appropriate in my playstyle: hope and pray I can dodge effectively and attack from afar with a bow. I feel like jumping could be added in this game, and it has potential to be extremely cool, but possibly also painstaking to get it to that level. After reading through this whole discussion, I kinda feel like rolling is more important, especially since I read in a different post that said climbing over small things like beds is more like climbing stairs. Your character will automatically pick his foot up and climb up the obstacle. For fences, I feel like climbing over them could easily be automatic as well, thinking along the lines of Assassin's Creed 3, though more reliable. All in all, it's no huge loss to me if I have to wade through a river, rather than just hopping over it :p

Halvidore

Insider
I'd like to see some type of jump or something. The environment is going to be 100% intractable and running into an object and moving them out of the way as it looks at the moment doesn't seem to look good. The object might even fly across the room. Adding a Jump option to get over an object could get around this problem.

Subhu Man

Insider
I will say one of the more frustrating things about certain hack and slashy games is a poorly implemented jump/mantling mechanic.

It is especially frustrating when you are trying to back off from a fight, and some picket fence, plank of wood, or knee high step gets in the way, but because your character has no climb over small obstacle animation, they get stuck, and at worse sit there like a spanner half starting the jump animation, getting hit, staggering, half starting the jump animation etc till they die.

This is especially irritating when you have attacks that can one-shot dragons, but the immortal picket fence is impervious to them.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.