Losing Balance

tiny lampe

Insider
Hi,

The other day I was thinking that most games, perhaps to avoid frustration, make it very hard for your character to lose balance, trip, and ultimately fall down.

In Dark Souls for example, you can collide with a dead body when walking backwards and you will never trip as a result. Same happens with rocks or other obstacles; at best they will prevent you from further moving in that direction but you will never lose your balance by hitting them. I think this is a missed opportunity that a physics-driven game like Sui Generis could take advantage of.

What I'm suggesting is hence the following: making any obstacle and terrain irregularity a threat that can make you trip if you collide with it when moving backwards.

Now you could ask: what is this adding to the experience besides annoyance and frustration? Answer: tactics. Using the terrain in your advantage gains a whole new meaning when such terrain can become a weapon that you can use against your opponents to lure them into an obstacle, make them trip, and then attack them when they are wide open. Sure it's a double-edged weapon because you can trip too if you don't watch your step but I believe this very fact makes the consideration of where to fight incredibly interesting (flat terrain where I can move freely vs difficult terrain where I can have an edge if I'm careful and play my card well?)

What do you guys think? Would you like this feature?

ZaratanCho

Insider
As long as it doesn't happen too easily, sure. This is something that will probably happen kind of naturaly, because of the physics. I remember in one video the enemy was on the ground and when he was getting up, he had some trouble because he stepped on a bucket, or something like this.

Parco

i would love this, as zaratan said it seems this seems to be happening naturally and is halfway implemented already. you can see it at 1:10 in the pre-alpha combat video

Fawz

Insider
If it happens due to physicis because it makes sense, then sure why not. Paying attention to your surroundings is great.

But if custom values are added for random slipping, then no stay away from that. The one case I think of that did that is Super Smash on Wii and everyone hated it.

Logical slipping is good, but a small chance to slip randomly with each move is bad.

tiny lampe

Insider
If it happens due to physicis because it makes sense, then sure why not. Paying attention to your surroundings is great.

But if custom values are added for random slipping, then no stay away from that. The one case I think of that did that is Super Smash on Wii and everyone hated it.

Logical slipping is good, but a small chance to slip randomly with each move is bad.
For the sake of clarity let me confirm that, indeed, what I was suggesting is a system of logical slipping where:
1) if you collide with obstacles while moving backwards or
2) if you approach large enough terrain irregularities while moving backwards
Then you lose your balance and may trip / fall down.

I was about to say that a system that adds a small change of tripping after every move is incredibly bad but then I realized that such system could work very well in the following case: leg injuries. If an actor's leg has sustained enough damage and he tries to move, he may lose his balance. Running (as opposed to walking) would dramaticallly increase the chance.

Reactions: nox

nox

Insider
I think this is a cool idea. :)
Has anyone seen if you can actually run backwards? I think when walking slowly backwards the character should have enough time to see/feel where they are going, and try to step over any obstacles, but if you move fast or dodge backwards then you could trip. But I think the physics will take care of this anyway. :)

Scarecrow

Insider
I think this is a cool idea. :)
Has anyone seen if you can actually run backwards? I think when walking slowly backwards the character should have enough time to see/feel where they are going, and try to step over any obstacles, but if you move fast or dodge backwards then you could trip. But I think the physics will take care of this anyway. :)
I do believe you can run/walk backwards, seeing as the player character is always facing in the direction of the cursor(in combat anyways). I definatly think you should be able to trip and fall into objects. I would like to be able to hit an opponent hard in his guard, and see him trip over a fence as an example. It adds even more depth and tactic to the the combat.

Halvidore

Insider
I do believe you can run/walk backwards, seeing as the player character is always facing in the direction of the cursor(in combat anyways). I definatly think you should be able to trip and fall into objects. I would like to be able to hit an opponent hard in his guard, and see him trip over a fence as an example. It adds even more depth and tactic to the the combat.
Haha yeah. It definitely would work well for tactics. Pretty realistic too. Would love to see this in the game.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.