Macro Based Combat

Graham R.

Insider
Not much time to flesh the idea out before posting (on my way out the door), but I would like to suggest a potential combat mechanic.

Given that most things are procedural and can be highly customized, why not make combat moved customized as well? It appears, from the kickstarter video, that the physics engine used in the game that combat can be highly dynamic. The suggestion is as follows...

Provide a GUI with various movements that can be combined in sequence (aka combat macro) to allow players to make their own combat moves. Say I am a warrior in full plate and wielding a two-handed greatsword. I would like to have three moves; a simple slash from left to right across the front of my body, a downward slash (much like chopping fire-wood with an axe), and a short dash combined with a diagonal chop to the front. In the combat macro GUI I would be presented with the different elements that make up the movements in combat with each movement taking more or less time depending on my maneuverability/dexterity and how weighed down by armor I am.

If I feel more inspired later I'll elaborate, but for now please discuss!

Thanks for your time,
Graham

Tony

Insider
Seems like an interesting idea! I think this could be a lot of fun and make combat even more dynamic. You could design your own combinations of moves that would work better in different situations. The number of moves allowed while creating the macro could be based upon a characters stats. A more developed character would be allowed to create a more complex macro. I'm not sure if this system would work well with how they envision combat but I definitely like the idea of being able to choose and modify how your character attacks! This would make it feel more like you were actually playing your character instead of simply watching the character do things automatically.

forest

Insider
I'd like this feature. It would also be cool if there were teachers that could teach you moves, given, all of this moves you could design yourself, but getting taught would be faster, take less tweaking, and not all people would be as into tweaking their combat style as I would, and that would give them a viable alternative to making a custom style, it could also serve as inspiration for those of us that would like to make their own styles.

BrecMadak

Insider
Providing finishing combos are hardly achievable in real fights (say muay thai), considering both sides being conscious enough to make it to an end; it could lead being an immersion breaker (potentially); since you would less likely use your mind against non-pre defined attacks.

Never liked it in UO, as it was taking away tons of risks by only "one" button, and i personally think it just wouldn't fit with this nature.

For these reasons i would not support this idea specifically for Sui Generis at the least.

Tony

Insider
Providing finishing combos are hardly achievable in real fights (say muay thai), considering both sides being conscious enough to make it to an end; it could lead being an immersion breaker (potentially); since you would less likely use your mind against non-pre defined attacks, i would not support this idea easily specifically for Sui Generis at the least.
They wouldn't be finishing moves as much as a string of different of attacks which would form a combination. Real sword fighters use (and practice) a sequence of moves to create combinations which are effective in certain situations. Example: parry, twist your wrist to disengage sword and thrust. Using attack combinations would not be immersion-breaking. Besides, if you didn't like them then don't create or use any :)

Reactions: Rob

Rob

They wouldn't be finishing moves as much as a string of different of attacks which would form a combination. Real sword fighters use (and practice) a sequence of moves to create combinations which are effective in certain situations. Example: parry, twist your wrist to disengage sword and thrust. Using attack combinations would not be immersion-breaking. Besides, if you didn't like them then don't create or use any :)
In implementation, they'd have to make sure that the combat sequence was interruptable - if you're knocked over, you don't want to continue trying to carryout of a combat sequence squirming on the floor...

Edit: I suppose the way to sort that out would be to only carry out the sequence as long as you're holding down the left mouse button. Releasing makes you parry like normal!!!

Tony

Insider
In implementation, they'd have to make sure that the combat sequence was interruptable - if you're knocked over, you don't want to continue trying to carryout of a combat sequence squirming on the floor...
I'd assume it would be able to be interrupted. Just as your current attack gets interrupted when you're knocked over or you right click to interrupt your attack manually and parry (as demonstrated in one of their combat videos).

Tony

Insider
Personally I would prefer not, seems like it would break up the combat as you try and micro the combo you do.
Hmm examples please? I'm not sure how it would break up the combat. It works much as their combat system already works, just that you could more easily perform the attacks you wanted instead of having it be random swings. You'd record the macro before you got into a fight and then press a button in combat to trigger the macro sequence during combat. If you choose a poor time to execute the combo then you will either be penalized by creating an opening that an opponent can take advantage of, or you'll be quick enough to see that it's not a good idea to finish the sequence and manually cancel it by right clicking the mouse (like they've already implemented in the current system).

Reactions: Rob

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.