Modular weapon variation

Feels like this thread needs to be revived :)

I'd like to see a version of what bibidibop suggested, but maybe limited a bit. In any case i'd like to see weapons broken down into generic parts not specific to any particular weapon. For example a simple long shaft could be used as a simple staff or in the creation of halberds, spears, war hammers, great axes and so on depending on what blade or end piece you find, or even, if you find something like a scimitar blade, create a naginata.

That's actually a really cool idea, especially if each object has its own weight properties. Instead of having a generic rule for weapon types in terms of their speeds, damage, etc., everything would be factored just like it would in the real world. A spear with a heavy pommel and a light tip would be much better at thrusts while a spear with a heavy tip and a light pommel would be more of a swinging weapon. Plus it just seems to be something that would be within the realm of possibility with what I've seen of the engine, although obviously that's up to the devs to decide.

Granville

Insider
Not to mention the fact that it allows you to mess around with weapons and make some real fantasy stuff, attach blades to EVERYTHING

The only thing I see being a problem would be balancing such a customizable system. With premade weapons, the stats are tested really thoroughly to make sure each weapon performs realistically and with no great advantage over other weapons of similar value. Making this system balanced would take a *lot* of work.

The only thing I see being a problem would be balancing such a customizable system. With premade weapons, the stats are tested really thoroughly to make sure each weapon performs realistically and with no great advantage over other weapons of similar value. Making this system balanced would take a *lot* of work.

I think that as long as you keep the amount of components low (3 seems like a nice number) and maintain a set of balances for the stats of each component (e.g. Speed will be traded for damage, as you lose mass), there should be too much of a balancing issue except around edge cases like a dagger that's made entirely out of light metal that swings so fast the opponent has no chance.

Customization of playstyle is something I consider vital to any sort of game with melee combat. If I want to play a shield/shortspear character, I feel as though I should be able to do that. But a game that lets me choose a shield/shortspear character and then goes on and says, "Alright, will that be a thrusting spear or a cutting spear, or maybe a hybrid? You know what? Just figure it out yourself. Here's the pieces to a spear, go nuts" will have a place in my heart. And maybe even my bed.

Granville

Insider
"and that sword you have there, would you like the blade short? long? curved? straight? and the hilt would you like a hand guard that increases hand defense but decreases mobility? and if you want a hand guard would you like it bladed which decreases defense slightly but increases damage if you get too close?" the possibilities are endless with a system like that.

Shame that there is no player crafting, if done properly a modular crafting system could be amazing. Still should be fun with NPC craftsmen though.

Granville

Insider
Shame that there is no player crafting, if done properly a modular crafting system could be amazing. Still should be fun with NPC craftsmen though.
I think NPC crafting with such a system (where by you the player gets to design the weapon and not just pick from presets) is much better than a crafting skill. In every game i've played with crafting, it seems like a good idea at the start but it just ends up as a grind, making the same thing over and over.

I think NPC crafting with such a system (where by you the player gets to design the weapon and not just pick from presets) is much better than a crafting skill. In every game i've played with crafting, it seems like a good idea at the start but it just ends up as a grind, making the same thing over and over.

Well that's when you have a crafting stat and the only means of crafting better things is by repeatedly making the same things over and over. In a game where there's no stats, all you'd need is the materials and maybe a certain tool. Or perhaps there would be a quest that teaches you a new crafting method or recipe that you would be able to utilize.

Still, not really important since they won't have that in the game :p

Granville

Insider
Very true sir snips but redundant discussion of ideas and opinions is what forums are for, so i shall continue: In any version of player crafting there will be some element of grinding, be it grinding through the type of quest you mention or grinding through particular enemies to find the right parts/materials. From what i have read i think the devs are minimizing grinding in the game so that's pretty cool.

Well in any case, I would love to see modular weapon creation. Weapons could still be classified based on the combination, so something like a long shaft and a mace head would qualify as a maul while a short shaft and a mace head would be a warhammer, thus allowing skills to apply to weapon types without mucking up the whole design.

I would say that such a system would go really well with the game, but I'm not sure exactly what the end vision is for BME, so I'll hold my tongue

Interesting point Granville, if there is some kind of equivalent, would one have to find a specific smith to make a weapon including one? Or maybe some other profession entirely.

Granville

Insider
I think in SG magical items will be extremely rare, so maybe a long dangerous pilgrimage to a thaumaturge temple, to find an enchanter?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.