More control options

CalenLoki

Greetings.

I've spent quite some time playing both arena, and while mechanics are lovely (especially "grappling" with 2h sword and throwing enemies on the ground xD) the controls are really holding it back. I find myself fighting with controls is much harder than fighting enemies. Mostly - movement and camera controls. I've played stable version 6.0.3, so if anything got already fixed in beta 6.1.x then let me know.
I know some people have vision that "what we have is the best, and any change is for worse", thus all the suggestions here are for OPTIONS. It's early access, and the point is to test which one works - instead of asking devs to change it every update, it'd be great to change it until it fits our needs. Then through survey, the most popular setting could be set as default option could be set

I'll start with camera - right now we have a lot of buttons to control it (MMB, space, scroll), but all of them interrupt combat flow in some way. Personally I'd rather have camera follow the cursor - but not strict (like holding space). I'd like two sliders - first for angle deviation before camera starts turning towards cursor at 1% speed, and second that sets angle deviation at which camera turns at 100% speed.
Now all options are possible:
- set first to 180+ and it will never follow
- set both to 0 and it works like holding space
- set first to 0 and second to 789 and it will very slowly rotate towards cursor
- set first to 45 and second to 90 and camera won't swivel when you do minor adjustments, but also won't leave you facing at camera
- first 30 second 30 - freedom within small angle, but then instant turn
Second thing is zoom. I have quite small screen, so full zoom-out hides all sweet details (and show a lot of completely unneeded area behind me), while full zoom-in (which could be even closer IMO) leaves me with very small area. My suggestion here is to make camera centre follow cursor, or more precisely point between character and cursor. And again sliders: one to it either closer to char or cursor, and other to set how fast it adjust, instantly or fluently.
All the current keys would work of course, but personally I'd use only free-look to see my sexy outfit from various angles.

Now the movement - I think that both combat and non-combat should be closer to each other, with less buttons for more functions.
Out of combat first - we have two ways to move forward (RMB and W), two way to turn (RMB follow cursor and A/D) and two ways to run (LMB cursor far from char and shift). At the same time there is no way to move diagonally to avoid obstacle without either using A/D with precision of heavy tank or RMB. So I suggest (OPTION, as always) that char follow cursor (without any sliders this time) while A/D are for strafing. You think it's gamey? Well, then you never really walked through clogged basement/attic/warehouse dungeon. It's more natural movement than walking back. Also - we have RMB free for something else.

Now combat - it would be nice if we could choose the difference between "tap" and "hold" of movement keys. Because animation starts with some delay, I find myself tapping it until I see my char reacting. But game thinks I'm holding it, so it ALWAYS do the double-step, even if I ask for something else well before first step got executed. It just feel not responsive enough. Also, with more responsive controls regarding single/double step, you could remove the hard-cap and allow as-many-steps-as-you-like by holding controls long enough.

Second concern is "normal" movement during combat. I play by killing everything that moves, and that everything often run away from me (I'm better at long defensive fights rather than quick finishing). Then the only way to run is by RMB method (which I dislike for taking RMB and preventing attacking). IMO shift, mostly unused in combat, should switch to non-combat running mode, but with ability to swing. Right now it's not possible to attack someone who run away, because as soon as we start attacking we stop running and he get out of range. Think of it as charge - which thrue bahrbarian would stop in front of his enemy before swinging his mighty choppa?

And last one about weapon handling this time, very small change. ATM left to right swing require you to reach as far as 45 degree left from your character. It make little sense for weapons that idle on the right side (all 1h and 2h swords) but is absolutely counter-intuitive for weapons that point left by default (polearms). IMO for simplicity ltr and rtl should be always equal. So just clicking in front will give you random attack, but even slight movement to left or right will determine the direction.
I could start here with click-and-draw-direction (which also allows control over vertical angle and strength of blow) as alternative to move-and-click that we have currently, but let's keep it simple for now.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Some more thoughts.

I don't like double clicking. Perhaps we could map overhead to something else? Mouses have more than 2 buttons these days. Still inferior to mouse-gestures, but a least some improvement, and require almost no coding.

There should be option for combat-interaction via single keypress, rather than combination of two (ctrl+LMB by default). Again, 5 mouse buttons (7 if we include scroll down/up) are there for a reason.

Another alternative to auto-aligning camera to cursor - my main problem is when character is facing down, and pressing "go left" moves him right on the screen. So maybe option to align movement orders to screen, rather than cursor. The key could be called "move towards top of the screen" rather than "move forward". Well proven in all top down games.

ANOTHER EDIT: Yet more thoughts.

This time I though about arm controls. I'm big proponent of two basic rules:
1. in/out combat shouldn't be very different in terms of controls
2. keyboard - body, mouse - arms. With maybe few keys to alternate mouse buttons - for those who have just LMB-RMB-Scroll.

ad 2. We have several things we do with arms in game, and we'll have a lot more in the future.
Current are: swing, overhead, stab, grab (use).
Possible in the future: push, offhand attack, thaumaturgy (with gods know how many keys), weapon mode swap (sometimes with more than two options), weapon swap/quick-use (just 2 weapon sets confirmed, but maybe there'll be more), drop/throw.
As you can see, if we give each of those separate key, it'll take half of the keyboard - kind of Arma way, where you have separate controls for sniffing, splitting and eating pudding.

Thus IMO the better way would be mapping all those to three main keys (and three not that often used ones), and their logical combinations - all that accompanied with drawing gestures. Those keys would be:
- main-hand: handles attacks, using M&B like direction choice. Obviously perspective is not close third person, so character-to-cursor is used as bottom-to-top.
- off-hand: does the same, just for the other hand. Obviously, actions would be wastly different for non-weapon items (shield-bash) or for two-handed weapons (pommel strike or back-end strike with pole arms)
- main+off: shove - to create distance, or to push enemy at somewhere (so he tip over banana peel, impale on some spike or fall into endless pit of doom).
- use: if you click on object, it will be picked using free hand (or mainhand, if both hands hold something and the object can be grabbed with just two fingers while holding sword - i.e. door handle). ATM we have telekinesis, but I believe that we'll get proper physical picking animation in the future (and throwing, by dragging fast than releasing item)
- use+main or off: if you're not holding any object, you'll use radial menu to choose item from your belt or back, or if you click on object that lays on the ground you'd pick it up and use. If you do hold something, you'll be additionally able to drop it (left and right quarters of radial menu), sheathe it (if you choose proper empty space on the radial menu), quickly drop and take something else (if you select other item without sheathing first), or swap hands (use+main+off). If you have item, and do "up then down" gesture then release both buttons, you throw the item forward.
- weapon mode swap (up and down): preferably scroll wheel. Change between short and long grip for polarms, normal/halfsword/mordehau with 2h swords, overgrip/undergrip for 1h spears and knives, ect. If you press "up" while already being in longer grip or "down" while being in shortest, it will swap between blade and blunt side for axes, ect. Weapon swap+offhand change grip for off-hand items.
- thaumaturgy - we know very little about it, but probably radial menu for choosing effects.

With 4+scroll mouse (that is quite common) all those could be mapped without keyboard. With simpler mouses, just one (thaumaturgy?) need to be on keyboard.

ad 1. Because described combat hand controls handle everything you would possible like to do outside combat (including equipping weapons and armours, accessing chests and maybe backpacks/pouches, ect), I don't see reason to make the other scheme much different. The difference is ofc in movement animation and some game mechanics (lower on legs, more rapid steps, weapons auto blocking, inability to change clothes and access inventory, ect).

A bit more on movement control, as someone mentioned all the different movement modes we have: walk, combat movement (leaps), run, sprint; and how to achieve them without RMB. IMO space could work great for that. Simply WASD would mean walk, WASD+space is leap, WASD+shift=run, WASD+space+shift=sprint. And camera, as less important, could be handled with alt (or automatically).

Last edited:

Mailamea

I recently brought this for me and my cousin. We love and enjoy it very much. We are both suffering from slight coordination dyslexia. It's very hard for us to comprehend the WASD control of this game, we get very Dizzy and still can't adopt properly to it. Can we have a feature of the WASD in other top view games? like if im facing south, pressing W makes me go backward instead of still going forward? It's because we can't enjoy it for a long time cuz its making us Dizzy just comprehending with the current WASD Scheme where facing south to go backward we need to press S, and inverted A and D direction. It gets painful when we've played for quite a while.

Maybe add it as like a checkbox on the settings? Like "Easy Mode" turns the controls to usual WASD where in facing south doesn't invert A and D Left/Right pressing S makes me go north.

Thank you for this game.

Posting here to stay at a single thread

I recently brought this for me and my cousin. We love and enjoy it very much. We are both suffering from slight coordination dyslexia. It's very hard for us to comprehend the WASD control of this game, we get very Dizzy and still can't adopt properly to it. Can we have a feature of the WASD in other top view games? like if im facing south, pressing W makes me go backward instead of still going forward? It's because we can't enjoy it for a long time cuz its making us Dizzy just comprehending with the current WASD Scheme where facing south to go backward we need to press S, and inverted A and D direction. It gets painful when we've played for quite a while.

Maybe add it as like a checkbox on the settings? Like "Easy Mode" turns the controls to usual WASD where in facing south doesn't invert A and D Left/Right pressing S makes me go north.

Thank you for this game.

Posting here to stay at a single thread
Just keep practicing in arena mode! That's how you get comfortable with the way the top-down WASD controls are, at least in my case. It's like Oblivion, you keep using a blade, you level up in Blade, thus getting better. It takes time and patience, so don't expect to win all the time. That's how you should get better :)

Mailamea

Just keep practicing in arena mode! That's how you get comfortable with the way the top-down WASD controls are, at least in my case. It's like Oblivion, you keep using a blade, you level up in Blade, thus getting better. It takes time and patience, so don't expect to win all the time. That's how you should get better :)
That's what i've been doing. But it's hard for us. Makes us Dizzy due to constant camera rotation cuz of the control scheme, and we can't really comprehend quickly direction wise.

That's what i've been doing. But it's hard for us. Makes us Dizzy due to constant camera rotation cuz of the control scheme, and we can't really comprehend quickly direction wise.
Have you tried changing up the controls to scheme a bit better for coordination? You might be able to hold a key down so the camera is always facing forward. Otherwise, as much as it sucks to say this, but you might have to move on :/ or wait until a mod can be made changing the camera angle.

Mailamea

Have you tried changing up the controls to scheme a bit better for coordination? You might be able to hold a key down so the camera is always facing forward. Otherwise, as much as it sucks to say this, but you might have to move on :/ or wait until a mod can be made changing the camera angle.
I tried activating follow cam, it helps a bit.

Hopefully someone mods it with normal WASD

tiny lampe

Insider
Makes us Dizzy due to constant camera rotation
That's the issue. You are not supposed to rotate the camera while fighting. Instead, the idea is to get used to fight an opponent no matter if the camera is behind you, in front of you, or anywhere else. Try to leave the camera alone and you will see how you won't get dizzy anymore.

Madoc

Project Lead
The character/mouse relative movement can be confusing when you are very used to screen relative controls, many people have trouble with it at first.

The idea is indeed to leave the camera mostly alone and learn to fight from any angle. Having the ability to quickly spin your character to a specific new direction and generally have reliable mouse control despite your character's movements is fundamental. A moving camera doesn't allow you to use the cursor with precision and execute moves with a fixed frame of reference.

Once you get used to it, you should definitely see the benefit of the controls remaining character relative. W is always advance, S is always step back etc. It also makes various moves repeatable through input/key combinations rather than changing completely depending on the camera angle. Try never, or hardly ever, rotating the camera. You can also just focus on forward/backward movement until you feel more comfortable with it.

We are adding controller support, and that will have screen relative analogue stick control. We will always actively oppose screen relative keyboard controls though. You can't move in a precise direction with 4 binary inputs and it's very clumsy. The controls as they are can take some getting used to, but work very well.

To answer some points by the OP:

Rotating camera is not going to happen. See above. Camera or cursor, this game uses a cursor.

Movement is done with the mouse, WASD movement out of combat exists only for when you need the mouse to do something else. Movement using both the mouse and the keyboard seems redundant. Shift makes you move faster, the controls becomes run/sprint instead of walk/run.

There are already 3 dash options that cover everything you mention. This game has as low input lag as can be physically achieved (and better than many, most or even all other games). If your character doesn't step instantly when you press a button it's because they physically cannot, it has nothing to do with the input system or controls.

The transitions / delays between running and attacking are something that will be worked on, and again isn't a matter of controls. Note however that when someone runs away it's to get away, not to give you an opportunity to kill them while they are defenceless.

If LtR and RtL shared the same arc then it would be virtually impossible to know which one you will execute when the cursor is a neutral position. The angle is less than 45 degrees, but you need to move the cursor quickly or your character will turn, thus reducing the angle.

CalenLoki

A moving camera doesn't allow you to use the cursor with precision and execute moves with a fixed frame of reference.
Matter of opinion - IMO it does. The question is, if you want to allow us prove it. And if you want game that require dozen hours just to get used to controls, not to mention other aspects of gameplay.

You can't move in a precise direction with 4 binary inputs and it's very clumsy.
8 binary inputs - there are also diagonals. 45 degrees is precise enough, especially if you use some rounding (i.e. since last step player held W for 0.1s and WD for 0.1s - the step will go towards inbetween W and WD direction = 22.5)

Movement using both the mouse and the keyboard seems redundant. Shift makes you move faster, the controls becomes run/sprint instead of walk/run.
First sentence denies the second. ATM movement require both mouse and keyboard (shift) and prevents precise movement and interaction with environment at the same time (car-like keyboard controls are not precise, and you can't interact while using mouse-movement)

There are already 3 dash options that cover everything you mention. This game has as low input lag as can be physically achieved (and better than many, most or even all other games). If your character doesn't step instantly when you press a button it's because they physically cannot, it has nothing to do with the input system or controls.
3 options? I know about short dash, and long dash - how do you use continuous sidestep?
I understand that animations are not instant, so I have to wait a bit until char moves his leg. The lag I mentioned is visible when you release A/D long before first step is finished, and character does the second and third step anyway - I doubt that he physically can't stop the motion and change direction.

The transitions / delays between running and attacking are something that will be worked on, and again isn't a matter of controls. Note however that when someone runs away it's to get away, not to give you an opportunity to kill them while they are defenceless.
You're right, I stepped into animations from controls, my bad.
Still - running away should not grant you absolute immunity to strikes. It should be game by itself - who can cut corners faster, throw stuff under chaser legs, ect.

If LtR and RtL shared the same arc then it would be virtually impossible to know which one you will execute when the cursor is a neutral position. The angle is less than 45 degrees, but you need to move the cursor quickly or your character will turn, thus reducing the angle.
Cursor is never neutral in actual combat. ATM it feels like you have "normal attack" and "special attack". It pretty much forces you to play with cursor very close to character or extreme mouse sensitivity - both greatly reduce precision. Let's make it 5 or 10 degrees, so RtL attack is still default one, but you don't need to ballet around in order to execute LtR.

I'll try to play with some mapping/macro programs, but it's kind of sad to be forced to fix the nice game using those.
BTW - are there controllers just for left hand, so I can use joystick while still having mouse?

Mailamea

I don't understand why people can't understand that we me and my cousin can't comprehend that much on the controls scheme due to we being diagnosed with "Slight Coordination Dyslexia" its hard for us to cope with the reverse inverted control when we rotate. thats why i wanted the alernate WASD movement

Murf

If when steam controller support comes out, it does not help with the issue, you can try keeping the spacebar held down. Though not ideal, it will keep the camera behind you.

I don't understand why people can't understand that we me and my cousin can't comprehend that much on the controls scheme due to we being diagnosed with "Slight Coordination Dyslexia" its hard for us to cope with the reverse inverted control when we rotate. thats why i wanted the alernate WASD movement
I can kind of understand where you're coming from, I can't play games with 3D cartoon graphics or I get a headache, I have no clue why, I've never been to a doctor on the subject. Though it may be difficult, attempting to simply get used to the controls might suit you best, unless a mod is REALLY needed, though should be as a last resort. Like, it really sucks, this is a great game and everyone interested should be able to play it without burden, but some people have to go that extra mile just to adapt, unfortunately :L

Conan

Insider
Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but is there a plan to allow striking while running? Zombies running away, stopping and then running again before I can strike drive me insane and it seems very natural to just swing your sword while running but at the moment this does not seem to work.

Mailamea

I do like the difficulty and understand its mean to be played this way. I really do, give the feel of foot work and momentum being worked out by yourself.

But yeah cursed by this handicap its kinda hard to cope with, i really do hope an alternate control can get implemented, even if it makes the game harder like more enemies harder loot but with typical WASD movement

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.