Pain threshold/stamina, Bones and fatigue

Ephrum

Insider
I apologize in advance if any of my ideas are cringingly redundant, repeated or unfeasible :p.

I love the game's style and above all I love the game's physics based combat and controls, but like a few other games featuring physics based or real time combat with ragdolls it has always bothered me by the the way a character could take a heavy blow or be stabbed, setting aside being knocked over or blood spray, your character gets back up rather unscaved besides a knock to the health bar. Although I realize the dev has said that the game isn't based towards realism and more towards gaming and simplicity, I started thinking of a logical system that would make surviving a battle more interesting and not simply relying on keeping your health bar above zero(though it would still be the main goal).

In real life when you get cut or you're wounded you react to the pain hindering your performance, while in games you could take a sword to the face and you hardly react. So I thought that there should be a meter that measures your pain threshold/stamina/endurance that would for example; if you were to receive a shallow cut on the arm it wouldn't necessarily be deadly but it would be painful putting a knock on your stamina, while being overcome by pain may not kill you you may just collapse or become unable to to move efficiently. In the game being slashed deeply or stabbed in the arm or elbow could dynamically change how you fight by rendering that arm useless or it will cause lower exertion with that arm and it would put a strain on your stamina to use damaged body parts. possibly Even hitting hands causing disarming and temporary disability to wield a weapon in that hand (or maybe you could, but it would causing a lot of pain).

My other peeve in this type of game that includes physics and the feeling of weight is most players and monster meshes (besides the shattering skeleton undead) still feel like moving hollow blobs. A game that i adore for it's combat that handles physical bodies and sword combat that i'll use as an example is Overgrowth (if you haven't heard of it:
). It's very gorey and combat is more focused on 'realistic' fighting without a health bar using a skeleton systems inside the meshes to simulate real combat ( kick them hard in the leg it breaks, break their neck to kill them or just stab them in the chest or head).While this game has a health bar. The skeleton gives the ragdolls the feeling that they're actually alive and a solid things as well as having a dynamic role in combat. If a similar system was implemented in this game impact and crushing attacks could break and fracture bones causing the damaged party to loose balance, limp, or have to support their weight with their weapon; using a polearm as a crutch/walking stick. Breaking bones could also have a physical effect such as disfigurement, (or not if that's too realistic) the damaged area simply going limp or unusable. It would also cause immense pain greatly eating into your stamina. This would make a need for resources to mend your body such as healing thaumaturgy or items like potions.

constant use and depletion of stamina will cause semi permanent loss of stamina known as fatigue too much will cause a reduction in movement efficiency making you to become sluggish, then with far too much fatigue will start to have negative effects on your health. Resting or sleeping could revitalize your body lifting your fatigue and speeding up natural mending processes.

I know that the devs probably wouldn't want to change up the combat at this stage in the game, but I'm posting this because I want to hear other people's opinions on my ideas and their own regarding this topic.

Thank you for reading and please share you opinions :D

Ephrum

Insider
i think that broken bones and such would come when the damage model does along with cutting of of appendages and decals but i could be wrong :D
Yeah, that could be right:D I apologize if I don't know information about the game or missed threads I'm still a newbie here :p

Parco

overgrowth actually doesnt use a skeleton system the way you are thinking about it, its more used for animations. the characters themselves have a health bar, but its hidden and works similar to the health bar in sg, one is permanent damage and other is recoverable health which cant go past the permanent damage. there is a mod that enables/shows this health bar .

a pain threshold is a interesting idea that could be useful, but i think it should then be linked to the skill system. the more it is leveled up/trained the more pain the character can take before getting staggered/stunned. but it should only apply to small wounds and changes should be almost insignificant when trained/leveled up (still significant when comparing untrained to max trained) because armor is really op and protects the body really well from damages.

there is no stamina in this game, the stamina you might see us refer to here is what we call the second health bar i mentioned for overgrowth, can regenerate health over time but cant go past the permanent health bar. bm will most likely not implement a traditional stamina system/bar

broken bones and dislocated limbs/disfigurment sounds like a fun idea, but i doubt i will be implemented. if it is then i would guess it either will work as a movement hindrances (less effective use of a limb) for a while or be treated the same way as dismemberment will; wont kill instantly but will die quite quickly from it. would be quite useful i guess, if you can sometimes tell what weapons a possible opponent is using if you find a dead body with one or more type of damage to its body.

Ephrum

Insider
overgrowth actually doesnt use a skeleton system the way you are thinking about it, its more used for animations. the characters themselves have a health bar, but its hidden and works similar to the health bar in sg, one is permanent damage and other is recoverable health which cant go past the permanent damage. there is a mod that enables/shows this health bar .

a pain threshold is a interesting idea that could be useful, but i think it should then be linked to the skill system. the more it is leveled up/trained the more pain the character can take before getting staggered/stunned. but it should only apply to small wounds and changes should be almost insignificant when trained/leveled up (still significant when comparing untrained to max trained) because armor is really op and protects the body really well from damages.

there is no stamina in this game, the stamina you might see us refer to here is what we call the second health bar i mentioned for overgrowth, can regenerate health over time but cant go past the permanent health bar. bm will most likely not implement a traditional stamina system/bar

broken bones and dislocated limbs/disfigurment sounds like a fun idea, but i doubt i will be implemented. if it is then i would guess it either will work as a movement hindrances (less effective use of a limb) for a while or be treated the same way as dismemberment will; wont kill instantly but will die quite quickly from it. would be quite useful i guess, if you can sometimes tell what weapons a possible opponent is using if you find a dead body with one or more type of damage to its body.
That's a nice take on the idea, I definitely agree with your statements. And thank you for correcting my earlier statement on overgrowth, wow that's embarrassing. I agree it would would be great and immersive if you could find bodies and visually see how they were killed giving you the chance to formulate a plan to either run or put together weapons and armor to use against it.:D

When I said 'stamina' I didn't mean the classic representation of stamina but as you said, simular to what's in overgrowth, I guess a better name for this would be endurance.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.