Position of Torch

Valu

As someone who is put off by the common medieval fantasy tropes I was really appreciative of the use of lighting (or that lack there-of) in dungeons for both Exanima and Sui Generis. In medieval times torches were expensive, produce a lot of smoke and weren't generally seen too often. As such I appreciate the Devs for realizing the lack of light - and not being able to see your a lot of your environment - adds more to the game then any amount of magic glowing ores that we commonly see scattered on the walls of most RPG's. I cannot state enough how pleased I am (even though if it was up to me torches wouldn't be in them at all :p ) about this.

However one tripe I had with the approach to lighting was the position the character holds the torch. When i'm walking through the dungeons I feel taken back when I realize that my character has no idea where he's going because he's blinded by the light of the torch in front of his face.

To be true to your statement about being Believable Fiction I would recommend that you do a simple change to the character model when holding a torch. Instead of in front of you the player character should hold it far to the side of themselves or even behind them to light their way. I hope that this small issue can be solved (also if you could increase the amount of smoke coming off the torches that would be great as well :p )

Resources (a little more information on the subject in the widely popular: Video format):
- Indoor Torch use
- Outdoor Torch use
- Possible Alternative Light sources

Thanks for reading.

Moppy

Supporter
I've seen these videos and I thought the same thing the first time I played :p
Would be neat if you could carry candles and place them around to lighten dark areas.

Bergzwerg

I agree with everything in the videos said, however..
In real life nobody would _run_ in a dungeon - in Exanima you do.
Ever got your torch arm stuck from swinging around while running?
After playing the same level for the 10th time, i do tend to run :)
I like your point - i just can't see this happen. For Gameplay's sake.

IMO there should be lights lit for ages.
Imagine all of the campaign dungeon in total darkness.
I would probably start to cry when i get to the lightsource item on L3.
Also, _I_ would never play a character without the Light Thaumaturgy. Never.

Exanima has a good solution for it already.
The only fire so far is the torch, all the other lightsources are some sort of mystic lights.
There is a scroll about lights. Other 'visitors' have been experimenting with them and wrote down their results.
I love how it's part of the lore - it's not JUST there.

I'm sure candles and lanterns will be in - hopefully more advanced than just 'on - off' or 'lit forever' :D

Reactions: Guy

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.