Shroud of the Avatar

Psychomorph

Insider
I saw the latest Shroud of the Avatar video. It's shaping up, but I don't really like their game-ish approach. You can stuff a whole Guillotine in your backpack and place it somewhere else later.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed about what I see from Garriott. The early content they showed during the Kickstarter also didn't impress me much, which why I didn't backed it. After a couple of seconds into the Sui Generis pitch video I knew I would pledge.

Tessaya

Insider
Have to agree there're some similitudes between the 2, and I too feel much more confident about Sui Generis than SotA.

Kosac

Insider
same as me.. i dont know what Richard makes after UO and was successfull :( SotA have some nice ideas but dosnt look so nice as SG maybe Unity is problem i dont know.. maybe its new age where old developers dosnt shine :)

Psychomorph

Insider
Looks interesting, probably worth trying, but art and style is very MMO/browser-game-ish and not quite that impressive. Doesn't convince as much as Sui Generis (pre-alpha) did.

The inventory menus (bags and chests) look really good though.

Fawz

Insider
Tried it out a bit since I'm a backer. It's still super early and they're not going for that strong a base with their engine. They do have some new ideas for some mechanics though and it looks like by release it'll be a great RPG that's not so visually impressive. Still really worried about their design plans for combat though :S

Dinah

Insider
I've participated in all 3 releases so far, and despite that it is still in pre-alpha, I'm fairly worried at this point. What they've shown in the releases so far has been limited to: crafting; housing showcase/item placement; a "unique" dialogue system; character creation; and multiplayer. All of which just feel bland and uninteresting.

One of the main reasons I backed Sui Generis is the fact that it looks to almost be a spiritual successor to the old Ultima games, specifically U7, one of my favorite games of all time. The progress BM has shown so far has truly exceeded my expectations in every way. On the flip side, to have also backed the TRUE successor to the Ultima series, and have it feel so bland at this point is extremely disappointing. Here's hoping they can turn it around.

Fawz

Insider
It's been the same for me. I tried all 3 Alpha stages and came out extremely disappointed. I think the main issue I have is with how safe their playing it by using a cheap, bland and easy to use engine (Unity). It doesn't help when character control and combat look to be so dated and uninspired. It never felt fun to play the game, and I can't imagine it'll get better. Let's just hope they get exploration, story and characters right.

I really hope they can turn things around in a year or so, but I doubt it. Their focus seems to be on adding all sorts of gimmicky features and customization assets that they can sell on their online store.

Psychomorph

Insider
SoA hit STEAM early access.

Does anyone still think that it still is kind of really crappy? I'm a bit appalled, lol. Maybe there is more substance to it than what it looks like, but I can't shake off that feeling.

like with 99,9% of every early access game ever. i completely ignore it until it comes out.

And even then I wait a month or so until they patch things (which also always happens after an early access release).

And with this game. I'd give it a full year of further development until they 'release' it. It'll take a whiiiiiile.

Dinah

Insider
SoA hit STEAM early access.

Does anyone still think that it still is kind of really crappy? I'm a bit appalled, lol. Maybe there is more substance to it than what it looks like, but I can't shake off that feeling.
I've tried every release of the pre-alpha (1-12) and quite honestly it hasn't really improved to a point where I can defend it. Comparing their initial kickstarter pitch to the progress they've made, I think they are either way off track from their original vision, or have a long road ahead of them.

Now, the counter argument to that would be to say that it's still pre-alpha. That's true, but the fact is that every release focuses more on their paid add-on-store, and not the interesting quest, dialogue, exploration, and combat systems that they wanted to stand out from other MMO's.

In it's current state, it feels like an extremely bland version of every other MMO out there. It has also made me pick up Guild Wars 2 again, which probably isn't their goal :)

Psychomorph

Insider
...and combat systems that they wanted to stand out from other MMO's.
Makes me laugh, because the combat is atrocious.

In it's current state, it feels like an extremely bland version of every other MMO out there.
That is exactly the though I have and always had with this. The only thing that I like is what comes from the old Ultima games, something you also see in Sui Generis, that is the grid-less inventory placement, but that's about it.

This also shows the sad fact that there is nothing sacred in this world. A childhood idol like "Lord British" (for some anyway) disappoints like this. :(

Murf

I also backed this, just yesterday uninstalled it. I'll just wait till it is fully released, just upset me every time I went in to 'test' out a new build. Hopefully they will improve by release time, I would imagine so this being pre-alpha and all.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.