Suggestions after alot of arena

Magus

First of all, this arena mode is amazing, I have been having so much fun with it, I can't see myself playing warrior on any other arpg from now on...

Started four times in the arena and got to Master rank with the gear I wanted, my brother has been playing too and here is a few things we want to point out. I always keep in mind MP/PvP, since I really want it to become a reality and want the game to be ready for it.

1- Heavy shields look a bit too heavy. I noticed the square shield works better on "messy fights", the ones you try to keep close and aim your shield to block. Specially if you are using a heavy weapon (like maces). The problem with the round and heater shield, is that they take too long to get back into position, so you take a hit because he was having trouble raising the shield. Add the huge amount of points required for adept shields, and it's really alot more effective to use the square and better armor. If it has to be further balanced because they end up too good, maybe increase the points cost, add encumbrance (so you have to sacrifice armor for same speed, even on SG). Now this all makes sense since it's a bigger shield, it's not really an issue, but it does feel very clunky the way he holds and uses the bigger shields. Maybe if characters held them closer to the body, instead of trying to block so actively (like it's required with the buckler), it would feel more natural.

2- Some 2H weapons are too fast for their range. It even looks very weird when they hit you on one side, then immediately on the other (they probably have the Remise skill). It really feels like it breaks the laws of physics. I also noticed a great increase on win rate of my hirelings when giving them these, and their gameplay is not interesting at all (swinging like crazy and hitting alot). And if you play with them, even holding LMB and using footwork works a bit too well imo. You hit the air, then move forward/backward depending on what they do to hit the second strike. Too fast and range is too large for them to react properly. Add crouching to the mix and shield users become a joke, you can even hit-crouch and hold LMB to hit twice on his legs. The real issue is that the height is not taken into account properly when swinging (hit or miss), so it's quite balanced with daggers and even swords, but 2H weapons with high balance go out of control. I also feel like it is way more effective than thrusting on some polearms, which I think would be their identity?

3- Need to check item prices/point cost. All ranks of equipment have the same price and cost the same points (rusty or exceptional), this makes it a waste of money to buy anything below "normal" (and even normal, personaly I go for heavy/tough as minimum).

4- Damage system and permadeath needs some tinkering. I just forfeit solo fights against certain bladed opponents (specially dagger) because it's not worth it. Your characters can die, or stay a long time out of the fight. It also makes a bad idea to give bladed weapons to your hirelings to fight 2v2/3v3. It's more of a liability to playstyles than a feature. The fact it's an early-mid game mechanic also makes it less relevant, and a bit weird early game is more "dangerous" when it comes to the death system. I played first game with a recruit, then the others with my main character. While it gives you more of a adrenaline rush when on tough fights (and when trying to get greedy on eliminations), it's more of an incentive to cheesy playstyles (step out, step in, repeat). I was thinking maybe instead of permadeath, a reputation system is added (not linked with skills or AI) with bonuses and heavy penalties on death (reset?). Bonuses could be something like more money from fights (tips?), higher chance of getting a "gift" item, louder crowd in matches. All this is considering changes that wouldn't affect SG/campaign, so a arena-specific rank would probably fit better. I also think it's important to keep the arena a place to test combinations and weapons, not just go for the "tried and true".

5- Make Exanima an arena game (I mean, focus on the arena from now on). All bad reviews I saw were related to the campaign, most good ones were related to combat. Sui Generis will be a better ARPG than Exanima ever will, you should put your development time and cost into evolving the combat/balance. The way it is now you give people the choice to buy an inferior ARPG or wait for your next game (which looks awesome btw). I mean there is the arena but I think you are wasting resources trying to finish the campaign. I say it's better to give people an arena game to "train" for when the full RPG experience arrives. This way people could easily buy both, even when Sui Generis is released (which will make Exanima obsolete, without the arena). Quite frankly I didn't like the saving and death system, I wouldn't recommend this game if it was only the campaign. Now the arena, I even bought a second copy for my brother. I look forward to buy Sui Generis too (4 copies, +2 exanima if both are MP). Even though I read somewhere the Exanima world would be included in SG, wouldn't be better for the map creator to focus on building SG world? Get a beta out? The arena has very low requirements on map making, since it's charm comes from game modes and different gears. As long as you keep the same engine updated on both, you have two games evolving at a faster rate. New gear and engine improvements make both games better, get that and SG world focused and I think everyone will be happier.

6- Elimination allows you to get equipment from defeated foes. Not sure if this was intended but I would like it to be kept, it adds a level of strategy since you can equip for them counting on the gear you will get in the fights (plate helmet, vambraces, greaves, etc). It has to be noted that you can actually go above the points limit for the fight's rank, so it can end up making the fights much easier than intended.

7- Increase risk with crouching. I noticed you can fall to the floor and take headshots while trying to crouch-attack, this is a very needed behaviour since it's VERY rewarding to crouch. I believe you need to increase the risk to match the rewards, specially making the "fall to the floor" more frequent with longer weapons (maybe always if you miss? too much?). Not sure about short weapons since the AI seems kinda good at hitting you in the head when you crouch near them (testing lately with the cleaver, been getting some nasty blows to the head, even when hitting the ultra-satisfying scream of pain hits).

8- The game really needs some sort of stamina, to counter the "hit spam" effectiveness (needs to increase windows of opportunity). The battles are much more interesting when it's all about action and reaction, not so much when it's only a matter of who times better the step in with longer weapon. With stamina you would have an extra option to balance 2H advantages over shorter versions, and even shields and big weapons interaction (stam drain based on blow impact). I think it should be a very high priority mechanic in the dev's list, it adds alot of options. What I think would work the best is a anti-burst stamina mechanic, that quickly replenishes

9- Hitting on the ground needs improvement. I can land one double click+crouch per downed state, but it feels soooo weak. I practiced this move ALOT (including dead enemies) and never got the same satisfying hit I can get with them standing. The AI is much worse, they can barely hit me 30% of the time when I fall down, it got to a point I'm not really worried when I fall. Make it so you can land at least one strong meaningful screaming-dying-pig-hit on the fool on the floor. I need to be punished harder for trying 3 hit wins on expert shielded users, as it is I go for a leg hit with "heavy swing" nonstop since his payback if I fall won't be as bad.

I hope my fellow players can give their input on my notes.

I will post more later on, keep up the GREAT WORK!!! :)

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.