Summer Games Done Quick 2013 - July 25th - 29th

Komuflage

Insider
SDA is doing another of their annual speed runs marathons, starting at 2PM EST (GMT-4) the 25th they'll stream their speed runs of over 75games (Mostly classics) all the way till the 29th (morning 30th, depending on where you live)

Sites: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ - http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/upcoming
Schedule: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule
Old marathons (With full videos of every run) http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/history

For those that don't know what SDA is, it's a website where speedruners can talk and discuss, and compete for the best times of all kind of different games. And every summer and winter they're streaming Summer games done quick and Awesome games done quick respectively, which basically are a bunch of speedruners who get together and stream their runs for charity. They'll be giving out prices to the viewers and all the donations will go towards different organisations (This time they're giving the money to Doctors without borders)

So if you want to see some geeks destroy your childhood memories, then this is a perfect opportunity :eek:

Tony

Insider
Sounds like an interesting idea but I've never been big on speedruns. Speedruns are the exact opposite way I play games. I take my time and enjoy every little detail. I explore and adventure and discover new things.

I remember playing Mario Brothers on Nintendo back in the day and how people would skip 90% of the game and beat it quickly. I thought "what a waste; they just missed most of the game". If people want instant gratification why not simply make a game where you push 1 button and win? That would be the ultimate speedrun :p

Komuflage

Insider
I remember playing Mario Brothers on Nintendo back in the day and how people would skip 90% of the game and beat it quickly. I thought "what a waste; they just missed most of the game". If people want instant gratification why not simply make a game where you push 1 button and win? That would be the ultimate speedrun :p
I to try to enjoy a game for as long as possible, therefore I skip things like fast travel etc. But speedruning is not trying to get instant satisfaction. (Since most of the satisfaction comes from discovering new tricks and trying them out, which takes time)

Think of them as the geeks way to free run... The goal may be to get from point A to B asap, but it's the trip from A to B and trying to find new ways of doing it faster that gives the thrill.

Also, while you might play Mario Brothers, 4-5 times and get a 100+ hours of fun out of it, a speedrunner may play the games 100+ times and get 500+ hours of fun out of it :rolleyes:

Tony

Insider
Also, while you might play Mario Brothers, 4-5 times and get a 100+ hours of fun out of it, a speedrunner may play the games 100+ times and get 500+ hours of fun out of it :rolleyes:
Perhaps if they're not very good at speedruns I could see this as being logical. But if they play the game 100+ times with the goal of doing it as quickly as possible, then I'd assume they'd get progressively faster. And the fastest way to beat a game is to skip as much of the content as possible. This is why I find speedruns to be ironic. Discovering the best way to skip content seems counterproductive to me :p

Komuflage

Insider
Perhaps if they're not very good at speedruns I could see this as being logical. But if they play the game 100+ times with the goal of doing it as quickly as possible, then I'd assume they'd get progressively faster. And the fastest way to beat a game is to skip as much of the content as possible. This is why I find speedruns to be ironic. Discovering the best way to skip content seems counterproductive to me :p
Well for once they discovered a glitch in ocarina of time just Last Year that took quite a few minutes of their times. Even though it's an old game, new discovery's are still being made.

I guess you can compare it to Driving in some twisted way, some people prefer to keep their cars very clean, and then enjoy a nice trip cruising through town, while other prefer to take their cars out on the ice and driving it as hard as possible, 2 completely different ways to enjoy the same product. (Please bare in mind that it's 7Am here, and I just awoke, this was the best comparison I could come up with right now) However, I understand what you're saying. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.