UO!

Fawz

Insider
Nice! I'm also a backer for Shroud of the Avatar and although the key ideas behind the game sound awesome, but i'm very skeptical about the actual gameplay.

Hearing him say he'll look into emulating SG's type of gameplay is great news! :D

Yeah it was prettying awesome knowing he check it out and it could potentially inspire ideas for shroud of the avatar.

and about the previous message i didn't mean complaint I meant to say compliment lol sorry about that.

Clawdius

Supporter
Hopefully Sui Generis is wildly successful and Bare Mettle goes on to produce a long line of wonderful games, perhaps including any multiplayer games they have the aspirations to work on. A multiplayer game in the Sui Generis universe seems like it would be an entertaining game indeed, at least given what little I have been able to see, since I am just a lowly backer and not an insider. As for an MMO, I'm less pleased with some of the routes many of those titles go with regards to monetization, but if Sui Generis is as stellar a game as it has the potential to be, I still might have to keep an eye on such a thing if it were to ever materialize.

Retro

What I liked about UO the most was the option for Freeshards. The official UO servers weren't much different from the hack, slay and loot WoW gameplay yet the deepest and most positive experience I had is connected to Freeshards where roleplay and immersion were king and you had to use your own fantasy to create a character and a world. It's a unique experience I haven't seen before or after and to build on your own world, create your own houses, cities, dungeons and society and interact with people that you really got to know in the process of playing together was awesome. It wasn't so much an MMO as an interactive roleplay game where every freeshard had a different story and setting.

I can't express how much I would love Sui Generis to fill those shoes yet I can accept if multiplayer ain't possible.
It's not that it would be that simple anyway. Even though you only would have to provide and sell a matrix to the players (maybe with some add ons here and there with new items, features and so on) and the players would do the rest and create their own worlds you would still need a lot of features that Sui Generis as a single player game hasn't planned.

Starting with a simple yet detailed world creation tool, same for player created quests, a tool for mods to overseer the gameplay and interact withit, a dedicated pvp system, an architecture feature to be able to construct your own house when you provide the building material, a lot of crafting from forging to tailoring to carpentering and even baking or cattle breeding and farm work. To make a long story short: It would be an entirely different game & concept.

I hope Sui Generis will become a big success. Whenever I see some new information or a new video it just shouts Innovation! and Immersion! as never seen before. The whole package keeps surprising me over and over again and leaves that pleasureable feeling of "what if?" as the vision of the devs manages to inspire you to dream. Maybe on a future day after Sui Generis has been released you may aspire such a project.. with or without a cooperation with Richard Garriott. I really hope so.

lvk

Insider
I hear a lot of great things about Ultima Online, but I only think I ever saw one or two Flash animations about it. I wonder what I've missed, reading about UO on sites like Wikipedia doesn't quite give me the passionate idea that people who played it have. It sounds like fun, but I feel like I'm reading the wrong parts.

I feel as if I'm in the same boat as you @lvk. I'd love to be able to play it but it always seems a little daunting to me. I don't know why. But here's to hoping in twenty years people still play and talk abut Sui Generis as one of the greatest games of all time.

Retro

After 15 years Ultima Online possibly feels hopelessly outdated to those who haven't experienced it back then and therefor connect a lot of emotions to it... even though 2D seems to me to be able to stay more timeless in contrast to 3D games that old.

The cool and unique thing about UO was it's one of a kind concept. It was basically a Pen & Paper like game that you enjoy with your friends at home taken to the PC. The shard devs were the game masters of the world and you forged the shards history due to your actions and conversations ingame and your roleplay posts in the forums which made it a very personal experience as all these people grew into a community over time. So P&P players might be able to get a better idea. While the official servers attracted more the hack&slay fans (somewhat close to what we nowadays picture when we hear MMORPG) the freeshards were more for those roleplaying fans. The fact that there were so many freeshards out there meant, that it wasn't just a single game but you could look for a community that shared your interests, ranging from Lord of the Rings over a samurai world till completely made up fantasy worlds. High Fantasy, low or urban fantasy, realistic or AD&D like over the top.. the choice was yours and if you haven't found something that interested you, you could always open your own if you were dedicated enough.

I'm not sure if UO is still frequently played today. Some genres have their time when they are popular and disappear again without much of a trace. I believe UO would belong to those as basically everyone I played with back then doesn't play on a UO shard anymore even though we regularily talk about the "good old times". Yet every genre that was once good and able to fascinate can be revived again under the right circumstances.

Reactions: lvk
Sometimes I hate being so young. I feel like I've missed out on so much. But hey, this could be the revival of such a genre. If mod tools are made, then we might just see the dedicated servers that allow for true roleplaying, potentially without the need of an active game master.

I'm honestly most looking forward to forming an group of adventurers with my friends on LAN and exploring a modded world from a novel. Like a middle earth recreation or maybe a game of thrones mod. If this is possible of course. I imagine I'll have explored Sui Generis before multiplayer's even a feature, which is why I want mod tools so badly.

One of the best things about UO right now is that you can simply go online and type "UO Free shards" and select from over 100 different servers out there which are all free. Most of them have websites that give you step by step instructions on how to connect to their server. Since all these freeshards are hosted by players like you and me, they have custom scripts. What this means is some of the content on their server is on their server only and was never in the legacy version of UO.

It's free, easy to install... there is no reason to try it out at least. You never know, you might get that same "HOOKED" feeling that I got when I first got on in 1996. I was so hooked that I would be dying to get home to start playing. I haven't had that feeling in YEARS and I probably will never experience it again.

I backed Shroud of the Avatar because I have trust in Richard, Blackthorn, and the whole team!

Saw the latest vid on SUI, and it's coming along real nice.

Oona

Insider
Perhaps after SG's release, we will see more on this, however I personally don't care for any online features. One thing that attracted me to SG is that it is single player. I don't understand the trend to make everything online. Skyrim is one of my favourite games, although if it were online I'm sure I wouldn't like it half as much as I do.

Reactions: Rob
Perhaps after SG's release, we will see more on this, however I personally don't care for any online features. One thing that attracted me to SG is that it is single player. I don't understand the trend to make everything online. Skyrim is one of my favourite games, although if it were online I'm sure I wouldn't like it half as much as I do.
With this particular game, I'm more concerned about LAN'ing with friends as opposed to "online". Also, I played Skyrim which is also one of my favorite games, and I'm currently doing the Elder Scrolls Online beta and it's pretty darn good!

I think you'd appreciate it. It doesn't make you feel like you're playing your typical MMO.

Kale

Insider
Why would it having Online make you like it less, or more? It shouldn't affect the game at all unless it specifically affected the game. If it were online only, then yea, I can see that. But just having online shouldn't change anything.

As for making things online... the thought is simple. Fun things are funner with friends.

Oona

Insider
I don't have the harddrive space for content I won't use, and I don't enjoy online. Simple.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't have the harddrive space for content I won't use, and I don't enjoy online. Simple.
Some games handle Online and Offline separately. That way you can decide to only install the Offline part, if you so chose. Perhaps that could be an option?

Retro

That depends how much the single- or multiplayer is worth to you by itself. There are people around who only buy CoD for its singleplayer or who want Star Citizen only for it's multiplayer. Personally I don't play a game more than I want to just because I haven't experienced everything in it so that I feel, I would have gotten everything out of my investment.

Yet I agree that when the challenge to allow the players to set up an MMO server for multiplayer with all the necessary tools would appear too big for bare mettle to include it, so that the singleplayer or the multiplayer part would suffer amongst the double taxation, then I would prefer to see them focus on Sui Generis as a single player experience. Maybe if the game is done they could think about using what they have achieved so far and take it on to another project like that of a worthy UO successor. At least I would buy it because as Kale put it so fittingly: Fun things are funner with friends. Also if you achieve a position of importance or a status of respect in such a "more or less massive multiplayer" community it usually feels more rewarding and personal then to do it in a SP game because your path ain't pre-determined and an experience to share with millions of others. It's simply not compareable and that's the fascination of it.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't know. Wouldn't it be silly to buy a game to install half of it?
Well no.
If the game was SP only, then you wouldn't mind installing all files needed to play SP.
But if the game also have some Files required for MP, and you don't want them, then for you it wont be any difference from just installing the game if it didn't have the MP files.

If that makes sense? :p

Akar

Initially we will have multiplayer LAN. This will not be an MMO like UO, it's just not really possible (we adored UO btw). If and when we introduce online play will be more along the lines of battle.net but hopefully with some additional nice features.
But its posible to make simplified client version for online? Realy you can leave some physic features for single player and make very nice MMO. What features you must remove for that? Its possible to make your combat system for online?

Kosac

Insider
iam fan of UO to.. and this is realy what we dream about UO2 :) maybe not so fyzical fight but engine and itemization looks like UOnext :) so give this engine and art to UO and we have winner :))

Tony

Insider
Some games handle Online and Offline separately. That way you can decide to only install the Offline part, if you so chose. Perhaps that could be an option?
I don't think it will matter if you're playing online or offline in Sui Generis. Once again using Terraria as an example; the content is the same regardless of whether you're playing single player or online with friends. It doesn't take up any more hard drive space to allow your friends to connect to your game since online/offline play takes place in the exact same world. Each time you spawn a new instance of the world it starts out in the same beginning state. You can create as many new instances of the world as you'd like and each one will remain separate and persistent. So if you desired you could spawn one instance that you play only single player and then spawn a second instance of the world that you allow your friends to play in as well.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.