Watch me Play... I made some gameplay vids of my first try at Exanima

Alex

Insider
Watch me Play... I made some gameplay vids of my first try at Exanima.

I like to make gameplay videos. I'm new at this but enjoy talking and playing games. So I tried this with the new Exanima and failed miserable at playing but had fun doing. come watch and like if you enjoy it.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Should have been able to take that pole and use it, i will go try to pick this one now.

Some advice. There are better weapons in the first room than that stake(not only weapons). First guy you fight is dangerous(more than others close by) and that next to the table is a chest you can loot. Also moving with the right mouse button is the standard way to walk around and WASD for some more specific cases. Though i guess anyone can move however they wish ;d

Edit: Yup can't pick it up it's like it's not even there, walk through it.

Murf

Also, you don't need to fight everyone, starting off, prob better you don't try, some NPC's are passive and only react if you go into combat mode. The quick start guide under Settings>Controls tab has some good tips on combat maneuvers and movement and such.

Alex

Insider
Firstly i like to thank you guys for watching my videos. Means alot to me that you took the time.
Secondly thank you for the advice I will def take it all onboard. I guess when you get so used to context highlighting in games it's hard to adjust to using your brain. ;-) it's a good thing though.
I think your right with the right mouse moving, need more practice I think.
i'll try to read the quick guide but as you may have seen the settings menu started to give me that error so will try again otherwise maybe a reinstall is in order.
Would like to make a few more vids of me 'trying' to play this game so if I do i'll def post it here and see what you guys think.

Regards.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Yes i am having the same problem. Turning vsync on is causing it for me. I have set FPSLimit = 60 in the ini file and turned off vsync. You can make the settings screen show up by pressing alt+enter and press defaul in the settings or navigate through the boxes to turn it off and it might be ok after that. Still a little buggy though.

Alex

Insider
Cheers, i will do that. i pretty sure you're right. I think i pressed the vsync button to cause that error.
Will find time tomorrow as the girlfriend is playing Cities: skylines at the moment (Great game). ;-)

Thanks again Mr Guru.

Faelivrin

Insider
Hopefully the error that pop up when entering settings could be fixed soon. It's not beautiful you get screen blocking error the first minute you are messing a game.

Considering it's not a showstopper error (you can even access the settings menu if you persist) i think it would be better to display it on some other less intrusive way. Maybe a little console on the side, and even better if it's optional. Whatever less frustrating than a blocking alert is good. I understand the current method is more useful and clear for an user to notice on an alpha or even beta stage, where you need your users reporting the bugs. But now that the game have public visibility i would say it is better to keep the shit under the rug... to put it in some non-delicate way :X

Sorry if i sound rough. It's just i have been following the game for a time now, and i have participated on the bug reporting. I can say for sure this game had the most solid alpha stage i have even played, and this first beta is also fine. But it is a little frustrating to me when i see that the bug reporting system makes more harm that the bug itself, because unlike with the bug, the reporting system is something the devs have control over. My point is that I know the game is solid, but whoever who plays the game for the first time, get frustrated by its difficulty and on the top of that get those nasty alerts is not going to agree with me. And if that person is a game reviewer.... :(

Last edited:

Alex

Insider
Yeah I agree. I don't mind and fully understand there will be problems but a console would be a better implementation of a tool for errors. Would also allow us players to say dump the console log at the end and send it in for them to study any errors. I'd imagine that would help them with bug checking. On the plus side I did like how I was allowed to move that error box off screen and keep going ;-)

Faelivrin

Insider
Yeah I agree. I don't mind and fully understand there will be problems but a console would be a better implementation of a tool for errors. Would also allow us players to say dump the console log at the end and send it in for them to study any errors. I'd imagine that would help them with bug checking. On the plus side I did like how I was allowed to move that error box off screen and keep going ;-)
There is already an error log located on %appdata%/exanima ;)

Alex

Insider
Hey Guys. Thanks for all your help. I found the .ini file and turned off the vsync. That fixed my issue with the error trying to get the settings to work in game.
So I took your advice onboard, found some better weapons (plank with nail is my fav) and also learned how to double click and get me a belt ;-)
I progressed further but have yet to win a fight. I've yet to learn how my health works and the fighting is just an epic learning curve. But is strangely rewarding. Thanks again.

So here's a vid of me trying again post advice. ;-)

ZaratanCho

Insider
More tips, you can inspect items even if you have them equipped by just clicking on them. You can also hold ctrl while in combat mode to interact with doors and objects.

Also double click and hold is a overhead attack and it can be very effective just stepping out of range and stepping in with it for the hit. I think you actually did it before. ;d

Do check out the quick guide(settings>controls>quickstart guide) and controls if you haven't unless you want to figure out everything by yourself ;d

Faelivrin

Insider
I progressed further but have yet to win a fight. I've yet to learn how my health works and the fighting is just an epic learning curve. But is strangely rewarding. Thanks again.
I would recommend you give it a try to the arena. Will help you realize how important is a good timing in a combat (waiting for the enemy to finish their attack before you start yours). Learn what kind of weapon family suits your the best. Get more familiarized with controls, and enjoy some well deserved victories. In short, restore a bit of the self esteem and enjoy the game hehe. I guarantee you will find the arena much more rewarding than the campaign, and you will notice that you progress if you give it some time and effort.

When you feel a bit more comfortable with your combat style you might give another try to the campaign. If you made a good use of shields on the arena, give a better look to the first room because there is something you can use as shield. Have in mind that unlike area opponents, zombies of the campaign do not block, they are a bunch of kamikazes... that's your only advantage, and it's crucial, because the rest are just weak points compared to the arena conditions (narrow places, darkness, more frustrating defeats). As a not mandatory side-note i also recommend you get soaked with the lore if you are into that kind of thing, because the strongest point of the campaign is the history. But if you are solely into combat and wish to feel progression, then i think the arena is your place.

About the hearth bar, it's located on the left side. It showcase three colors:
  • Strong yellow: how much of your hearth is replenished.
  • Pale yellow: damage inflicted that you will recover over the time into strong yellow. I guess you could also call it stamina, but you will die if it goes beyond the limit.
  • Red: permanent damage. It wont replenish over the time on the campaign, but it will do a little on the arena after each combat.
Don't pay much attention to the blue bar on the right for now. It represents thaumaturgy (magic), that's is not present on the game yet. I wont go into more details on hearth unless you ask because i fear doing some unwanted spoiler. That's the basics!

Last edited:

Alex

Insider
Well, I don't think I can thank you guys enough. Your advice is amazing. I will def take it all onboard and keep trying.
So much good advice and help I think it'll take me a bit to let it soak in but really keen to try again.
Can't say I've looked into much of the lore. If I manage to find some time around real life will look into it.

Apart from that thanks to everyone on here for taking the time to watch my videos and for writing up such excellent advice. I do appreciate the time it would of taken for you to bother. =D

You're all legends =D

Alex

Insider
So I went back, had some practice in the arena and gave it another go ;-) Persistance right?

Well so say the least, the fighting is difficult but super rewarding. So I made another video for you guys to enjoy.
I promise there's at least one kill in this one lol eventually. I know where some better stuff in the campaign is too now. May in future play the stealth game to find more goodies. ;-)

Hope you enjoy.

Faelivrin

Insider
I really have fun with your videos, i can feel your pressure hahaha thanks for mentioning! You are definitely progressing there, i can see you parry and block quite nicely, and you have good intentions with timing, just need a bit more of fine-tuning =] that's not little thing. As a feedback, you probably want to move less and on a more meaningful way, so when the chance comes you are on a good balance to access to enemy openings.

Alex

Insider
No I should be thanking you Faelivrin (and you other awesome peeps), if that is your real name ;-) I started my channel because I love games. I figured it'd be fun to share the games I play and love every week for anyone who would care to watch and listen. And if I can entertain then that's even better. I've always been a gamer since I was little playing on our atari, friends megadrive, our commodore 64 and a whole slew of systems ever since.
To be fair, this game is super stressful. I was really trying my best to make it further and not rush it although I did get carried away lol. It's super addictive so I will def be making more vids. Hopefully not being too distracted with Pillars of Eternity's release this week.
As usual I'll take your advice with me to hopefully do better next time.

Cheers, ADirtyRumour

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
Hey ! I watched your number 4 :)
Was very cool and GG for the kill !
This wooden club basterd, I hate him so mutch too, he just killed me like a hundred times before I managed to take him out. You're not alone there ;)
And you'll progress over time. Arena is really harder than the undeads, but once you pass the first novices on a regular base, you can survive in the dungeons.
Fun vid and fun comments.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.