What would you like to see in future Sui Generis videos/trailers?

Pilluminati

Insider
I was thinking we could gather some feedback/suggestions regarding videos that the devs could use to help them create better videos in the future. Now, I'm not saying the previous ones were bad (they weren't even trailers), but there's always room for improvement, and I know how hard it is to miss obvious things when you're working on something 24/7. So I hope this will be of help.

Here's a few things I've noted:

1. Pace of the videos
The previous videos have been quite slow with lots of time spent simply walking or running around. While this is fine by me, with the low attention span of the internet in general, many people might simply click away before seeing the amazing stuff this game has to offer. This could also lower the amount of criticism on the animation quality. I know they were simply gameplay videos, but they are the only things the public can see at the moment. For example, the section 2:17-3:40 on the pre-alpha gameplay video felt a bit pointless except for the beautiful water and rain. Same with the castle part of the video, starting at 6:20. It dragged out a bit long and a few friends I've shown the video to simply started doing other things after a minute while the video was playing despite being interested in the game. You could also look at the youtube analytics for that video to see where people exit the video or skip forward which would be more accurate than just taking my word for it, hell I could be entirely wrong. Also to find out the most watched parts, the highlights.

2. Physics
Showcase the physics more! Show some of the creative things you can achieve with them. Barricades, using a bucket as a helmet, I'm sure there are lots of ideas the community could give.

3. Chair tripping
The chair tripping part was awesome and I could easily see it becoming "a thing" with all the retarded memes we have nowadays. It was already one of the most talked things about the trailer, so taking advantage of it and including a similar part in future to maximize exposure could be a good move. With some luck reddit might pick up on it.

4. Environments
Show more varied environments. In development video #3 there was some really beautiful architecture at 3:20 for example. This might be difficult to achieve with Exanima though.

5. Combat encounters
Show more varied combat encounters. Watching Porky in action is really entertaining. Multiple enemies at once would be interesting as well.

6. Combat mechanics
Make it clear in the beginning of the video how the combat works, otherwise people will misunderstand. Do a few swings with a weapon from side to side and clearly indicate with the pointer what's going on.

7. Two-handed weapons
Consider using a heavy two-handed weapon with a lot of impact when showcasing the combat. It looks and sounds extremely satisfying when landing hits with them.

8. Thaumaturgy
Be careful when showing Thaumaturgy, like the teleportation. It looks overpowered when used so frequently and people won't understand that numbers can be easily tweaked.

9. The cool stuff
Show the really cool stuff early. I'm afraid many people missed the part where you were disguised as a guard simply because it was in the end of the video (Pre-alpha gameplay).

I hope the community can come up with more feedback/suggestions and feel free to dispute any of the things I've noted (except Porky being awesome ofc). These are not demands by the way ;).

Last edited:

Pilluminati

Insider
I was hoping others would come up with feedback as well with the release getting closer :p.

Feel like I've covered something you wanted to say? Doesn't matter, repeating it will reinforce the point.

Got any cool ideas to showcase the physics? I'm eager to hear.

Vold

Insider
Since this is about Sui Generis, eventually I'd like to see PC/NPC interaction, including dialog and different complex behaviours. Although, I guess that this is not going to happen any time soon.

burgzaza

Insider
I find your points very valid ( especially the last one).
About physics, why not a trap, with crates and stuff falling over the player or ennemies. Or basically an oponent losing balance in a stair ( can't wait to see that ^^ ). A "force push" thauma' on multiple ennemies making them fall into a cave with a troll inside could do it too I imagine ^^

Pilluminati

Insider
I find your points very valid ( especially the last one).
About physics, why not a trap, with crates and stuff falling over the player or ennemies. Or basically an oponent losing balance in a stair ( can't wait to see that ^^ ). A "force push" thauma' on multiple ennemies making them fall into a cave with a troll inside could do it too I imagine ^^
Trap idea is awesome. I wonder if it works? I suppose as long as the enemy falls it would be considered a success :p.

burgzaza

Insider
oh it would work, but I'm not sure it would deal any damage yet. Plus, we haven't enough height to plan this kind of trap in Exanima's dungeon.
I liked a feature, in a little game called Besiege! ; it was drawable strings, allowing tu pull/hold/release things, . I wonder if that could be possible in SG

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.