Why I hate this game.

MrPork

So I decided to pick up the game and try it out and it happened to impress me and disappoint me at the same time. The first problem I found was the blocking mechanics. Normally In a game, I would like to do the blocking myself, and in a game with physics like this especially. Many time I've seen a perfectly good block have a weapon go through it like butter and end up in my shoulder in my head, leaving me raging at what just happened. On many occasions as well the enemy has attacked and blocked at the same time that they hit me in the stomach, even though their weapon was far from mine. The second problem is how much hacking goes into this game. Every single battle I've fought has been nothing but Hacking and waiting for the enemy to screw up in their blocking code. The only tactic I have known to use is do a fast small attack as soon as the enemy does a large attack in hopes that it will kill him or stun him enough that he doesn't manage to do the attack. Rarely and I mean RARELY have I actually did a nice leg sweep to kill the enemy. The third problem I have is the shield using AI. Not only do they attack quite fast, but they've got a big meaty invincible shield that is impossibly to get through. I end up do large sweeping attacks through the midsection in hopes that I might get lucky with the physics and it will bounce up the shield and straight into the enemies head. The fourth and last thing I hate is the camera. The camera fits well with the dungeon feel of the game but as soon as combat starts its absolutely excruciating to use. I'm constantly holding space-bar to align the camera but this also causes another probablem. It allows your aiming reticule circle to move in only one axis so if you happen to swing your sword and then immediately press space-bar, you're reticule might be past the visible area of the camera and there's no way to find it except letting go of space-bar and repositioning it, all the while you're freaking out looking for it.

Suggett66

Insider
Honestly, I find everything you have said to be down to being new to the game. You will get used to fighting and you will get used to killing people with shields, having played since the first release I find killing enemies with shields to be easy because they tend to be a little slower and them being weak on the side without the shield. Getting hit when fighting is just part of battle, you can't expect to come out of a fight without a few injuries unless you seriously master the combat mechanics which lets be honest, won't happen as the engine will slip up sometimes and hits will land. No, the blocking is not perfect because it's automatic, but it also works if you actually let it. By this I mean plenty of times in the past i've raged because I thought it should have blocked but I realise my finger had clicked to attack thus stopping a block. You will get used to these things and as for the camera, can't really question that, if you don't like it then sorry you can't love everything in a game ^^

Tony

Insider
Hmm if you've been playing the beta version shouldn't your title say 'insider'and not 'member'?

The AI controlled opponents are controlled using the same key presses that players use. This means they do not cheat and what they can do so can the player. Sounds like you need a bit more practice to learn how to defeat the opponents you are struggling with. All of the novice opponents die relatively easily once you gain a better understanding about how to successfully execute various tactics.

Murf

I'm constantly holding space-bar to align the camera but this also causes another probablem. It allows your aiming reticule circle to move in only one axis so if you happen to swing your sword and then immediately press space-bar, you're reticule might be past the visible area of the camera and there's no way to find it except letting go of space-bar and repositioning it, all the while you're freaking out looking for it.
That's because you are not supposed to be using the spacebar to center your camera all the time. If you do wish to do that then you will have to figure out a way to compensate for the cursor movement that results from using the spacebar to spin the camera.

Also, you are more than likely playing an older version since the version of the game available for torrenting is not up to date with what has been released. There has been some changes to combat in the later hot fixes.

Lastly, it is stated over and over and over that you will not get used to the combat method by playing a few times, or for a day or two. It is just not going to happen. You have to play a lot, over an extended period of time. Just because you are not used to playing with this style of combat mechanics does not mean those type of moves you are describing cannot be done. It just means you don't know how to do them. They can be done, it just takes practice and learning how a simple LMB click changes depending on where you are facing, where your opponent is, the type of weapon you are using, what type of steps you take during the attack and how much if nay you use your mouse to add momentum to the swing.

Madoc

Project Lead
Blocking requires you to position and turn your character to intercept the blow. A button that puts you into an invincible block mode as seen in many games has no place in this combat system. It's not possible for a weapon to physically pass through a block and deliver damage, it can very easily get around it though and the moment you relinquish your guard by pressing the attack button you're much less likely to stop the blow. AI are subject to the same exact rules as you, they can't block and attack at the same time, it is however entirely possible for your attack to be physically deflected by their weapon even if they are not blocking. The early undead are a very clear example of this as they never block.

In general the AI is quite good at blocking and you're not really supposed to stubbornly attack their guard in the hope of hitting them anyway but rather use openings or try to outmanoeuvre them. Timing and clever use of the control system are key.

Again, shields work in exactly the same way for AI as they do for you. You're not supposed to "get through" a shield, you should be trying to get around it or attacking when their guard is down.

No other camera would work with this combat, animation or controls (not with any one of them individually). You're using a cursor and so the camera must be mostly static. In no game does the mouse control both the camera and a cursor at the same time because... well, that's just not possible. The camera align function (space bar) is intended as a convenience thing for exploration, there's nothing stopping you from using it in combat but you should definitely use it sparingly. In any case fighting with the camera behind you is not good just because it makes it difficult to judge the distance to your opponent.

The game plays very differently from anything else, the controls are usually unfamiliar and it has a very steep learning curve. We're still scratching our heads about how to effectively teach new players everything they need.

Last edited:

Pancakez54

Insider
Hmm if you've been playing the beta version shouldn't your title say 'insider'and not 'member'?
Pirate... Alert :x?

@MrPork

Everything you've said is just about getting used to the game ^^ As already stated :D It's hard to start off, but when you get into it there's no going back!!!

BM

In regards to new players, I think making the quickstart guide a bit more available/ visible would be helpful. Reading this from the start would have been very nice, but it was kind of out of the way. I understand you guys at BM don't want to spoil immersion or be throwing things in the players' faces, but I feel like having the quickstart guide more accessible would be nice for brand new players.

Murf

BM

In regards to new players, I think making the quickstart guide a bit more available/ visible would be helpful. Reading this from the start would have been very nice, but it was kind of out of the way. I understand you guys at BM don't want to spoil immersion or be throwing things in the players' faces, but I feel like having the quickstart guide more accessible would be nice for brand new players.
It did pop up when the game started initially before this latest version. Ppl seemed to skip past it.

666jet

Insider
BM

also there are guides in the insider forum

Pilluminati

Insider
The quickstart guide should imo be a selection in the main menu. You could also add the keybindings into the text. What I mean is this:
"To enter combat mode press Toggle Combat (Tab)" //Insert the current keybindings name string inside the parenthesis

Elaxter

Insider
This is the type of response some will give the game. They don't spend time to learn the combat and blame their ignorance on the game. I predict a large percent of negative reviews (specifically Metacritic user reviews and Steam Reviews) will be people who play an hour and drop the game because they concluded the game to be broken.

MrPork

Actually I spent about 10 hours playing this game and am still trying to get the hang of it. Also, why does everyone think I pirated? Not one person thinks I may have forgotten my password and just decided to make a new account since it was faster and I was just going to post a single thread anyways? For a long time the Torch with no shadow was bothering me and it finally got fixed in the last update.

MrPork

Oh and also, if there's any Devs on here looking for help on finding pirated copies then i'll be happy to lend a hand :D.

Holy.Death

Insider
Actually I spent about 10 hours playing this game and am still trying to get the hang of it. Also, why does everyone think I pirated? Not one person thinks I may have forgotten my password and just decided to make a new account since it was faster and I was just going to post a single thread anyways?
It's not that complicated to reset your password and since members aren't the same as insiders the connection is easy to be made.

Personally I'd aim to do what Paradox does: you don't get technical help if you don't have game registered, although you're not obliged to register your game and enjoy it. Some people don't do that for some reason while owning Paradox titles. To be completely honest I fail to see discussing issue if you don't have 0.4.2 version, because combat do change and each patch has quite significant impact (for example: combat was much more slower back in the days, then it speeded up, now movement is more fluid and faster, etc.).

Psychomorph

Insider
We're still scratching our heads about how to effectively teach new players everything they need.
Slow motion videos with the mouse/keyboard in the bottom that highlight buttons/keys when pressed and a commentary explaining what happens, what you do and why you need to do it.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.