Will the blocking system be fully automated?

Scarecrow

Insider
So first of all i am super excited about this game, and i love the realistic go at an RPG. It seems they want to make the game challenging, which is good (For me atleast).

However, from what i understood through watching the videos, blocking will be automated? Does this mean we only have to stand still to defend ourselves, and no active blocking (like parrying) will be required? Appreciate it if someone could clarifie this.

Although it would be a bit of a shame i think if it turns out like that, i would still buy and play the hell out of it tho.

Kieran

Developer
There is actually no such thing as passive or active blocking. If a weapon hits the shield, it wont harm you. You can block while attacking if you know where the shield is going to be while you're swinging. Bear in mind we have only had shields working for less than a week, but I found it to be a great tactic (with current animations) to start your swing when your opponent is doing his first attack across your shield arm, as you can block their blow at the same time you hit them.

When you're not attacking, you will attempt to move your shield toward incoming blows automatically, but that doesn't mean there's an infallible automatic blocking system. You still need to anticipate the blow and adjust your character to maximise your chances. Certain weapons like flails might still wrap around your shield (and you) and hit you in the back.

Parrying is slightly different, but still isn't strictly automatic. You have to hold the button to perform attacks and letting go cancels the attack and allows you to defend. You choose whether to attack or defend, you don't just automatically parry everything. Again, you have to position and angle your character to intercept the attack which is quite skilful.

Scarecrow

Insider
Oh okay, i get it. Its more about the physics, timing, and footwork. Seems quite neat now that i have watched the videos again after u explained it. Can't wait to get my hands on the game.

Thanks Kieran!

Komuflage

Insider
But let's say I stand absolutely still, will my character just hold the shield next to his waist, or will he raise the shield in front of himself? And if it's like the first example, why not assign a "Raise shield button"? And while holding that button down I can move the corsair and my character will try to face the shield in that direction.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.