Will this game be coming to Steam? Would go FAR!

Clawdius

Supporter
Well, the next time you have issues with your internet you can try clicking "Steam" and "Go Offline". This really shouldn't be necessary for most games during a short internet service interruption, but some developers flag a sort of "check in" option that makes some games endlessly attempt to phone home when it thinks there should be an internet connection available. Unfortunately some publishers and developers are convinced that having a dozen or more steps, sometimes including requiring several different programs to all be online at once, will help them prevent piracy. I am unsure why these attitudes persist, clearly the only people who will be subjected to that sort of thing are legitimate customers.

If you have persistent offline mode issues, perhaps the following may be of some use.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Canis Mactire

Supporter
My biggest problem with Steam is that, by their TOS, all you're really doing is kind of renting from them. If your Steam account is banned for whatever reason or something similar, any game that requires the Steam wrapper to run (Skyrim) is inaccessible, and you can't legitimately do anything about it.

Prasse

Insider
My biggest problem with Steam is that, by their TOS, all you're really doing is kind of renting from them. If your Steam account is banned for whatever reason or something similar, any game that requires the Steam wrapper to run (Skyrim) is inaccessible, and you can't legitimately do anything about it.
That is actually a big problem, and i do not think it's acceptable to ban anyone from using something they bought. I can understand why you would be banned from a online game, but a singleplayer one is just wrong.

Look at the launch of the latest Simcity, ppl can't even play it because the awlays online drm. The servers are shutting down from overload. Steam should never be force upon someone, neither always online. That is the big reason i never bought the new simcity. Ofc they could release SG on steam, and GOG, but why give steam more power?

Sandalwood

Insider
I also really hate this about them, but i know of only a few instances were people git completely banned, most involving problems with payments and some seem to have frequently "traded" games from regions were the games were cheaper. Vac banning only affects online play of vac-activated games.

Luckily their have been some efforts (but sadly not from steam itself) to give players more rights regarding their steam games ... at leat in germany steam can't force players to agree to a new TOS to access their already purchased games.

Look at the launch of the latest Simcity, ppl can't even play it because the awlays online drm. The servers are shutting down from overload. Steam should never be force upon someone, neither always online. That is the big reason i never bought the new simcity. Ofc they could release SG on steam, and GOG, but why give steam more power?
Yeah, but the new Sim City is an Origin (=EA) exclusive and has nothing to do with Steam (=Valve) :D . No Valve game has this kind of drm.

Prasse

Insider
Bloody... A well i guess i'm happy for them if they get some more money from STEAM. Still i really do loath online gaming services.

Sandalwood i really don't care if it´s Valve since several LAN-Partys have been ruined becuase Valves servers can't handle the release day load ;). Also a lot of games force you to use steam to be able to install, which is a horrible thing since you have to ping their servers that can't handle it. I fi buy i game i want to be able to play it the second it's installed, and i want to be able to play it 20 years from now.

Moralh

Insider
Well, the next time you have issues with your internet you can try clicking "Steam" and "Go Offline". This really shouldn't be necessary for most games during a short internet service interruption, but some developers flag a sort of "check in" option that makes some games endlessly attempt to phone home when it thinks there should be an internet connection available. Unfortunately some publishers and developers are convinced that having a dozen or more steps, sometimes including requiring several different programs to all be online at once, will help them prevent piracy. I am unsure why these attitudes persist, clearly the only people who will be subjected to that sort of thing are legitimate customers.

If you have persistent offline mode issues, perhaps the following may be of some use.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555
Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Sandalwood

Insider
Sandalwood i really don't care if it´s Valve since several LAN-Partys have been ruined becuase Valves servers can't handle the release day load ;). Also a lot of games force you to use steam to be able to install, which is a horrible thing since you have to ping their servers that can't handle it. I fi buy i game i want to be able to play it the second it's installed, and i want to be able to play it 20 years from now.
What games exactly are you talking about (and please i really would like to know which ones exactly - since you already confused origin with steam when you talked about simcity, you might also confuse something now, no offence)?
I've been using Steam for two years regularly now, and never had this kind of problem. I don't know how it was before than, but e.g. this week i had no problems launching Bioshock Infinite directly after it was released. Same with Dishonored and XCOM in Autumn.... First game i preordered on Steam and played directly at launch was Left4Dead - No problem there either. Only thing with preloaded games is that they take some minutes to decrypt, but this shouldn't be the case with retail (=dvd) games which use steam to activate - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Regarding steam server reliability i did indeed notice that the download servers (which are different ones from the steamworks (=steam drm) servers) completely break down during the big sale events, but meeh, i can forgive that when they give me 75% off.

PS: Also there's this thing that the steam drm features seem to be COMPLETELY optional. I remember installing Terraria from steam, copied the folder to a pendrive - without the use of any ripping tools - and played it at work without having steam installed

Parco

well anyway, im completely fine with this game being on steam as long as it doesnt require that steam is running to play the game.

Prasse

Insider
What games exactly are you talking about (and please i really would like to know which ones exactly - since you already confused origin with steam when you talked about simcity, you might also confuse something now, no offence)?
I've been using Steam for two years regularly now, and never had this kind of problem. I don't know how it was before than, but e.g. this week i had no problems launching Bioshock Infinite directly after it was released. Same with Dishonored and XCOM in Autumn.... First game i preordered on Steam and played directly at launch was Left4Dead - No problem there either. Only thing with preloaded games is that they take some minutes to decrypt, but this shouldn't be the case with retail (=dvd) games which use steam to activate - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Regarding steam server reliability i did indeed notice that the download servers (which are different ones from the steamworks (=steam drm) servers) completely break down during the big sale events, but meeh, i can forgive that when they give me 75% off.

PS: Also there's this thing that the steam drm features seem to be COMPLETELY optional. I remember installing Terraria from steam, copied the folder to a pendrive - without the use of any ripping tools - and played it at work without having steam installed
Well right of the bat i can name Skyrim & Modern Warfare 2, which FTR are on steam. Both games could not handle the pressure of day one. Skyrim came with a bug that prevented you from installing the game from disc and forced you to download the entire game from server. Which you could bypass but someone who is not that keen on computers would not have.

Also my biggest concern with STEAM is that WHEN valve shuts it down, and that WILL happen. You will NOT be able to install these games since they force you to authorize with servers when first installing. This would ofc not be possible if the servers were in fact, shut down. And this all comes down to the thing were A LOT OF GAMES out there force you to use steam when first installing it, which makes it (legally) impossible to install when and if steam shutdown occurs.

Also i would have bought Bioshock Infinite day one collectors ed and all if not for steam. I hate when they release "Collectors Edition" for games that have online DRM, because they can´t be collected in a fair mannet.

As a game collector STEAM & ORIGIN are plagues...

Algea

Insider
If I'm not mistaken the devs already stated that everyone who pledged through Kickstarter (not sure about Paypal pledges but willing to bet that it's the same with those too) would get their copies "Downloadable DRM free directly from us."

Now, if this game is released on Steam it'd be great if only because more people would know about it and I think BME deserves to be wide acknowledged because they are awesome. I'm not sure why you, Prasse, is so concerned about Sui Generis being released on Steam. You'll get your copy without any DRM and without the need to be online anyway. Everybody else who missed Kickstarter campaign and (possibly) Paypal pledges before SG is released on Steam (if ever) and don't like Steam? Welll, it's their problem. It's the perks of being supportive and helping our favorite guys to make their dream come true.

So in short - those who pledged and hate Steam for whatever reason would not suffer if Sui Generis is released on Steam too. Those who are waiting for this game to be truly released would benefit from having it on Steam. It's a win-win situation so I really hope this game will be on Steam.

Prasse

Insider
I know we will get our game DRM free, what i don't want is for STEAM to get more power =/. Ofc i want BME to be able to reach out to as many as possible, which i guess is steam, but i really really hate steam since it´s destroying my kind of gaming culture.

Sandalwood

Insider
Well right of the bat i can name Skyrim & Modern Warfare 2, which FTR are on steam. Both games could not handle the pressure of day one. Skyrim came with a bug that prevented you from installing the game from disc and forced you to download the entire game from server. Which you could bypass but someone who is not that keen on computers would not have.
I haven't found info about the modern warfare 2 launch via google, but yeah i think i remeber that there was somethiong ... it wouldn't surprise me at all, since this games hat millions of 0day players :D but how long where the drm servers overloaded? an hour maybe? can't imagine that it was much longer. at the very least i can't imagine that it was waaaaaaaay better than the diablo 3 and simcity launches.
as for skyrim this sounds like a problem with the installer not steam - without steam you would have probably have had to wait for an patched installer - would this have been much better - especially if it took longer for the patched installer to be made than downloading the game?

Also my biggest concern with STEAM is that WHEN valve shuts it down, and that WILL happen. You will NOT be able to install these games since they force you to authorize with servers when first installing. This would ofc not be possible if the servers were in fact, shut down. And this all comes down to the thing were A LOT OF GAMES out there force you to use steam when first installing it, which makes it (legally) impossible to install when and if steam shutdown occurs.

Also i would have bought Bioshock Infinite day one collectors ed and all if not for steam. I hate when they release "Collectors Edition" for games that have online DRM, because they can´t be collected in a fair mannet.

As a game collector STEAM & ORIGIN are plagues...

yes this sucks of course - i won't argue with that. their was a post some years ago by gabe newell were he said, that it would actually work to disable the drm system, in case it was needed. the post has since been deleted and is now only requoted again and again - there's no official stance on it right now. but actually i think right now a freak housefire seems to be the a bigger threat to ones retail dvd collection, then steam shutting down is to ones digital goods right now - they seem to do quite well.
but yeah you have the problem with any digital distribution platform. do you buy your games on gog.com? they might not have drm but when they shut down you also won't be able to download your drm free copies from them. desura? same thing.
of course in case of indie games (yay for indie!) you can often purchase and download from the developers themselves, but in all honesty this is to "stressy" for me - now that i also use desura and capsule besides steam and backed lots and lots of projects on kickstarter and indiegogo i'm getting kinda confused about which games i own/preordered and how to access them. i actually created the labels "key" and "preorder" in my gmail because otherwise i wouldn't no about half the stuff i purchased anymore , but this only makes it bearable - it's still not very comfortable - so if i have a chance to add a game to one or more of the mentioned game distribution platflorms instead of the email chaos: hell yeah!
also i really need to say this: i absolutely LOATHED cd/dvd drm systems and "enjoy" one time online authentication much more. in case of discs you were also quite screwed if your disc got scratched or you lost it. of course i understand that people with low bandwidth might see this differently.
oh and autoupdate! i friggin love autoupdate. this is also a thing where i think drm - if only in the form of being distributed by an online distribution platform like steam - is asolutely okay. some people just won't buy software i know that, i won't judge them or anything else, but i think it's quite okay or rather i hope that they have to do more work when using their pirated software e.g. by having to apply cracked updates themselves.
There was actually this case a month ago or so when i purchased Darkout when it was released. Liked it and told a work colleage about it. He of course pirated it. Thing is Darkout doesn't have any drm at all and has it's own unprotected autoupdater. so that guy not only get's the software like a paying customer does, but also the service!
this is not okay, in my oppinion, especially since server resources are limited and without some kind of protection pirated copies can decrease the quality of service for legal ones.

Lastly, please try to differentiate little more more between Steam and Origin. Funny thing is that i probably feel the same way towards origin as you do towards both of them. i simply won't buy games that are origin exclusives, i want nothing to with, if i would be forced to use it i would rage around quite a bit, but trust me when i say origin/ea is worse than valve/steam. steam never had code which searches the users hard drive for pirated copies of games like origin had when it launched (i dunno if they removed it in the meantime - i would think so since it caused an outcry), also valve never used an always on drm scheme like ea did with simcity. (steam does distribute uplay titles though, but that's ubisoft stuff)

ah! about what i mentioned in my earlier, that games do not require any kind of steam integration to be on steam:
terraria meanwhile actually complains when steam is not running - might have something to do with them adding support for the steam ingame overlay, which wasn't available at launch. still i found two games that did not require steam running. there are definitely a lot more but i only tested 20 games or so. anyways evochron mercenary doesn't need it and more importantly hotline miami doesn't either.
hotline miami is an interesting case because it actually offers steam achievements and uses the steam_api.dll but it actually asks you when starting if you want to enable/disable steamworks.
so it seems steam can be used purely for distribution without forcing anything else on the player (btw all of the f2p games that i tested on steam also started regardless of it running or not: planetside 2, blacklight retribution and tribes ascend)

PS: bioshock infinite ROCKS. you should have bought it - preorders even got XCOM for free ;)

Fawz

Insider
Steam would be good for coverage but they do take some big cuts. GOG is another great alternative digital distributor. And of course the game should be available for purchase through their website so they get the full amount (maybe have a exclusive bonus for buying here).

These are the kind of details we'll know closer to launch though. They do have a steam greenlight concept page though, so I'm guessing they are planning for a steam release.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106079894

Gerald S.

Supporter
I truly hope not, i´m kind of against steam, or any other services that forces me to be online to play LAN or plainly just to install my game.

Also, steam will die one day, not now, not in five years. But when it does all your games will be lost :(. Maybe i just hate these things since i collect games =/, but i want to be able to play my NES games today that i bought -91. Things like steam are nice, as long as it doesn´t shut down...
I've never understood Steam hate. It's the best way to buy games in my opinion and I try to buy all of my games on it. I used to hate the idea of having to use a gaming service like Steam to buy all of my games. Now I own nearly 250 games on it.

Clawdius

Supporter
Yes, you have to connect once after installing the game and run the game while connected because it downloads the Direct X files, Visual C files, and .net files etc that you may need for that game to function.

Yes, WHEN Valve shuts down a massively profitable service that grows http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410531 year http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/06/steam-reports-100-growth-in-2011/ after year http://www.edge-online.com/news/steam-concurrent-user-growth-rate-up-300-per-cent-compared-to-2012-6-6-million-peak-users/ after year and was worth several billion http://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverchiang/2011/02/15/valve-and-steam-worth-billions/in 2011. So, when were you planning for the power of negative thinking to topple Steam? A company which is owned by someone who could have lived a life of luxury when he left Microsoft, but instead chose to build a software company because he enjoys the work, and feels privileged to work with the people he hires? When, exactly, do you think that Steam is going to dry up and blow away, before or after the technological singularity?

Gerald S.

Supporter
Not to mention that a Steam shutdown would never happen. Somebody would buy the service from Valve and the service would continue. It would never just up and disappear. Anybody saying anything different is ignorant about business in general with no clue what they are talking about with their fear mongering about one day losing access to your games because of a Steam shutdown.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.