Wounds, Limbs and Gore

Madoc said:

"As for dismemberment our idea is that while it might not kill instantly it would still kill pretty quickly. Not something you can recover from."

Maybe not fingers or toungs lol but I can see part or all of legs, arms & heads being removable, either in combat or a physics related accident. There is no need to debate the outcome of dismemberment as slow & painful death has already been confirmed!

What I find interesting about this is that we know there will be no HP, no healing potions & no saving so I imagine engaging an enemy in battle is gonna be a pretty big deal every time.

Tony

Insider
Um, no. You can't just get used to pain unless you have a serious mental problem. Especially the losing of a limb.
When I was 8-years-old I was stabbed in my armpit by a rather large pole (about a 2" diameter). It tore through the skin, muscle and you could see exposed bone. However, since I went into shock after it happened it just felt like a warm sensation under my arm. My brother went pale and almost passed out when he saw it. I was curious why he turned pale since I didn't realize how bad it was. I was going to try and look at the injury but he refused to let me because he knew I'd panic if I saw it. I almost bled to death but luckily he wrapped my arm with a roll of guaze tape which stopped the bleeding. I ended up passing out from loss of blood and waking up in the hospital several hours later when they were operating on it to remove the gauze that had crusted up into the wound.

Anyways, my entire point is that severe trauma to the body sometimes isn't felt since your body goes into shock. It's usually not until the shock wears off that you start to feel the pain.

It's not the shock, it's just that you don't hit as many nerve endings as you would if you say, chopped the entire thing off. It's the same reason people don't realize they have been shot.

Tony

Insider
It's not the shock, it's just that you don't hit as many nerve endings as you would if you say, chopped the entire thing off. It's the same reason people don't realize they have been shot.
Think so? Are you sure it's not something more along the lines of this?

Delayed Pain
According to the medical professional, when you are in a car accident you are generally in shock. Adrenaline starts to run through your body, which actually blocks your pain receptors. It isn’t until the adrenaline leaves your system that you start to feel pain.
People don't realize they're shot because of the same reason: adrenaline blocks the pain receptors. Most people in a gun fight have quite a bit of adrenaline. Same as those who go into shock.

walltar

Insider
But i just remembered story about japan biker ... A Japanese man continued to drive his motorcycle for over a mile after losing his right leg below the knee when he hit the central reservation on a motorway in Hamamatsu, south-west of Tokyo.
Kazuo Osada, 54, described as a company worker, crashed when he failed to negotiate a bend, and was unaware his right leg had been severed below the knee apparently because his attention was focused on the strong pain he felt from the crash, police said.

You may be right about shock and adrenaline.

Tony

Insider
But i just remembered story about japan biker ... A Japanese man continued to drive his motorcycle for over a mile after losing his right leg below the knee when he hit the central reservation on a motorway in Hamamatsu, south-west of Tokyo.
Kazuo Osada, 54, described as a company worker, crashed when he failed to negotiate a bend, and was unaware his right leg had been severed below the knee apparently because his attention was focused on the strong pain he felt from the crash, police said.

You may be right about shock and adrenaline.
I know I'm right because I've personally been in those situations many times in my life. If you're ever in a fight where you get your face smashed in and all sorts of other serious injuries you don't even realize until the adrenaline wears off then you'll understand. For anyone who hasn't been in a similar situation their opinion on the matter is worth a grain of salt.

Algea

Insider
It is a universally acknowledged fact that adrenaline blocks pain receptors.

On other occasions where the body needs to employ our fight or flight reactions, it can help us to block out or postpone the feeling of pain until the emergency has passed. The hormone Adrenaline is generated to prepare the body for the emergency and seems to be able to inhibit or interrupt the transmission of pain.
Source

Komuflage

Insider
What I find interesting about this is that we know there will be no HP, no healing potions & no saving so I imagine engaging an enemy in battle is gonna be a pretty big deal every time.
But the "no saving" is just no Quick saves. So even if you die you would loose much (I'm guessing it just cost a bit of gold? Like in sacred)

That's right. I don't think many details have been released yet but they plan to make death have serious consequences. There will never be a situation where death is the easier option. Perhaps you will loose all of your items & equipment & respawn with nothing but peasants clothes.

My understanding of the saving system is that the game will automatically save every second in the background so every decision you make in game will be irreversible.

Verva

I really like gore. In my opinion, guts spilling from a character's abdomen is just fucking cool. Things like halfway severing an arm and having it just hang and flail, or braking a bone so completely that the limb bends in half. I would really like to know how far the devs want to take gore. I'm on the side of extreme realism, or even exaggerated, but that might be too much for some people. What's the rating on this game gonna be, anyway?

Subhu Man

Insider
I think that gore is cool, I think that taking a last couple of swings with your sword after losing a limb is cool, and by the rule of cool those options should be in the game :p. That being said if anybody believes, dispite evidence to the contrary, that losing a limb immediatly fullbody paralyses you, what if you had combat shrooms first?

Combat 'shrooms effect: Eat them; when they take effect in about 5 minutes, you can fight with any working limbs for the next 2ish minutes unless your head or spine is severed or destroyed. At the end of the 2 minutes you... can't do that any more.

Verva

Combat 'shrooms effect: Eat them; when they take effect in about 5 minutes, you can fight with any working limbs for the next 2ish minutes unless your head or spine is severed or destroyed. At the end of the 2 minutes you... can't do that any more.
So like, a painkiller that turns you into an unfeeling death machine...

That sounds badass.

Fawz

Insider
Blood, Gore and dismemberment sounds awesome for this type of game. It would make the combat more visceral and intense.

The idea of dismemberment affecting gameplay and acting as severe damage over time is great.

Bibidibop

Insider
Hey, first post.

Anyway, on the matter of dismemberment: we all know you'll bleed out in about ten seconds, and your brain will suffocate, unless you're high on stuff. So, what about having combat drugs in game, such as a berserker draft, or mate de coca, or you smoke "pipeweed"? That's not my kind of thing in life, but anything for an edge in a (fantasy) fight. Amiright? After all, we all know those stories about guys hopped up on crazy juice, and manning up against 40 bullets to the chest, with only a hit to the spine or brain taking them down; I figure that's great fun in a game with swords, especially with a creature which may be innately insensitive to pain. Sign me up.

Secondly, cauterization: the game has magic, so could we just burn the stump till it seals, and let adrenalin carry us through the fight? What if the enemy has a burning torch as a weapon, could I purposefully put myself in the arc of the weapon and get my stump cauterized? I hope so.

No hit points sounds awesome, as long as it is combined with a lovingly modeled gross anatomy. Kidney hits equal instant win, spines partial win, brain torsion from non-linear impact equals punch drunk?

Does all this mean that my character, if having been eating and drinking regularly, will piss and crap himself on death? Will being full of food make infection from a gut cut more likely? I don't know if I want it going that far--infection; I definitely thinking a crappy death is a good feature. Death is so overblown in games, that the simple reality of how weirdly easy, yet horribly disgusting it can be would be an interesting change.

Kaizer0002

Insider
The prospect of opponents who don't go down easily is an intriguing one. Generally that's the design benefit of using zombies in video games - they can take a beating. It would be an interesting mechanic to have a Frenzied Beserker type character, whether it is the player or an enemy. For those who don't know the reference, Frenzied Beserkers are a prestige class from 3rd edition DnD who can go into a frenzy and for a limited amount of time will not die no matter how much damage they take. There are other ways to dispatch them and if they do not receive adequate healing by the time their frenzy is over, they die from any damage taken. It wouldn't necessarily have to work the same way, instead enemies could just remain active for an amount of time after they should have expired. The whole concept could be a simple game of itself (frenzy to avoid immediate death but have to make it up in healing within a time limit), although the idea of enemies that require a little more cunning and give the all important gore that I had threatened to derail this from.

Hey, first post.

Anyway, on the matter of dismemberment: we all know you'll bleed out in about ten seconds, and your brain will suffocate, unless you're high on stuff. So, what about having combat drugs in game, such as a berserker draft, or mate de coca, or you smoke "pipeweed"? That's not my kind of thing in life, but anything for an edge in a (fantasy) fight. Amiright? After all, we all know those stories about guys hopped up on crazy juice, and manning up against 40 bullets to the chest, with only a hit to the spine or brain taking them down; I figure that's great fun in a game with swords, especially with a creature which may be innately insensitive to pain. Sign me up.

Secondly, cauterization: the game has magic, so could we just burn the stump till it seals, and let adrenalin carry us through the fight? What if the enemy has a burning torch as a weapon, could I purposefully put myself in the arc of the weapon and get my stump cauterized? I hope so.

No hit points sounds awesome, as long as it is combined with a lovingly modeled gross anatomy. Kidney hits equal instant win, spines partial win, brain torsion from non-linear impact equals punch drunk?

Does all this mean that my character, if having been eating and drinking regularly, will piss and crap himself on death? Will being full of food make infection from a gut cut more likely? I don't know if I want it going that far--infection; I definitely thinking a crappy death is a good feature. Death is so overblown in games, that the simple reality of how weirdly easy, yet horribly disgusting it can be would be an interesting change.
No on all accounts.

Verva

Bibidibop

Insider
When you die, you lose muscle control, which means you crap and piss yourself if you're full of either. Which leads to a good joke about being full of crap.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.