Most frustrating experience I've ever had in 20 years of gaming lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmini

Insider
You're making the assumption that everyone buying a game with an amazing combat system want perma-death. Sorry but it is objectively bad design choice if it is the only option a player has. Most people will hate this game after 6 hours of playing and losing everything to 1 mistake, if there is no alternate game mode where saving is possible.
Who said Bare Mettle cares about what people expect? Take it or leave it.

Tony

Insider
Sorry but it is objectively bad design choice if it is the only option a player has.
Objectively...? What you're saying is simply an opinion and therefore subjective, not objective. The argument you're trying to make could be applied to every single game mechanic which includes games that only allow manual saving and loading without offering a permadeath option. Are these games also "objectively designed badly"? What about games that have set sound effects without allowing you to customize any of them? Does this mean since you can't choose how you want the game to sound that it's objectively designed poorly as well?

BM did add optional checkpoints which allow the player to circumvent the permadeath mechanics in the first three levels; this is already a compromise from their original vision of the game and it's as far as they're willing to go concerning the subjective topic of permadeath. Having the ability to undo any mistakes or consequences in the game by manually saving and loading any time you'd like is something the devs consider to be game-breaking.

Tony

Insider
That's too bad for the people who'd probably buy this game if it had that feature, then.
That's okay ;). Bare Mettle are not interested in gaining mainstream appeal, they're interested in making the game(s) they actually want to play themselves (and doing so to the best of their abilities). They weren't happy with recent gaming trends which is what motivated them to create SG and Exanima in the first place.

Kaladin

You're just repeating buzzwords you don't even understand. What is a "mainstream" game? How is Exanima not cashing in on medieval combat hype that has risen up lately? You're just fanboys.

ThommiX

You're just repeating buzzwords you don't even understand. What is a "mainstream" game? How is Exanima not cashing in on medieval combat hype that has risen up lately? You're just fanboys.
You should go research games and game industry then to understand what it means.

Homiccus

Yes, BM are cashing in on the mediaeval combat hype. And we can see, even from the Steam reviews, general jib and YouTube videos that the arena is very popular.
But.
Combat is just means to an end and the main focus of the game is exploration and the story.
Yes. I'm a fanman. Why? For many reasons.
For example - I think this is the first ever game where I could cross the pit-trap by liberal use of junk lying around, or help in defeating opponents by sticking buckets or ladders over their heads, actions which were not scripted by the developers.
Mainstream, casual gamers will probably not appreciate the depth and invest time required to learn the controls.

Last edited:

Copgur

That's too bad for the people who'd probably buy this game if it had that feature, then.
You shouldn't say as if you are these people, speak for yourself.
"These" people should read what they are going to get, right?
If you don't like permadeath just backup your savegame folder before play every time.
And there are no such thing that everyone loves.

Tony

Insider
Well, let's see. Bare Mettle have been coming up with the concepts, mechanics, ideas, story and lore for Exanima/SG for over two decades... you consider that to be "cashing in on medieval combat hype that has risen up lately"? Unless your concept of "lately" is extremely lenient I don't see how that applies to BM.

As far as understanding what mainstream appeal is I'm quite familiar with the concept. If you're not familiar with what it means I'll elaborate for your benefit. If a developer decides to make a game that has mainstream appeal it means they make design choices based upon what they believe will be appealing to the widest audience possible. Bare Mettle do not care about this in the least -- Bare Mettle make design decisions based upon what they think makes a good game, not based upon what they think will lure in the masses or be the most profitable.

ThommiX

Guys,he won't get it. This is a person who thinks insulting everyone else when he's utterly and completely wrong,is the right way to behave. He will never figure out he's just digging a deeper hole for himself with every reply. Lets see,next he will probably try to pull the trolling-card to save his face. Anyone want to make a bet?

Kaladin

That's hilarious. You're actually going even edgier than before.

What I said in the beginning was "Hey, this one optional feature could really make this game a lot more enjoyable to more people with no cost for any of the hardcore edgelords who want the realistic authentic not-for-sissies experience" and I was met with "fuck off" for a response. Then you edgelords gang up and start defending your perfect game from the evil optional save-function because its mere existence, somewhere out there even if you never even saw it, would ruin your wet dreams about this ideologically pure save-free medieval combat dungeon crawler.

I genuinely think that an optional save-function would make the game a whole deal more playable to most people - that's pretty much as objective a thing that you can say in game development. Why not add in a feature that has no downsides (being optional and all) but has the benefit of largening your target audience, therefore increasing sales? And I'm saying this as someone who plays and enjoys this game. Of course, I don't really care about the ideological purity of a save-free dungeon crawler, and some of you might. And I find that approach quite hilarious - it literally only harms the game and the developer studio.

Tony

Insider
@Kaladin you're free to find the dev's decisions as hilarious as you like but please refrain from provoking other forum members and name calling. Sharing your ideas and opinions is fine, attempting to start flamewars is not.

ThommiX

You know,when you base stuff on assumptions and your own opinion instead of actually being objective,its never received well. You are talking out of your a** so to speak. Know your facts before you base anything on them.

Then proceeding to insult everyone who disagrees with you,just shows you really don't grasp how you should talk about things and that you have no clue whatsoever of the actual facts you try to base your comment on.

And now still continuing in the same manner,will not make anyone answer you any more nicely,quite opposite.
Really,when you are wrong,you will be told about it and its not an "f-off" attitude,you just are PLAIN WRONG. Everyone said it because its the fact. Not the nonsense you are spouting. Its not gangin up on you,you simply are just wrong. To avoid this kind of things,think through what you are going to write and check your facts.

You have obviously no clue about games,game industry or what the developers are even trying to achieve here.
You are really just talking your own opinion,which is really,really far from being ever objective.

Again,writing in an insulting manner will most probably just get you ignored. As i think i will after this. You just are too thickheaded to see any other way than your own,which is pretty sad.

Kaladin

@Kaladin you're free to find the dev's decisions as hilarious as you like but please refrain from provoking other forum members and name calling. Sharing your ideas and opinions is fine, attempting to start flamewars is not.
I suggest that you look to the top of this page - and to the last page - and see how I began commenting here. Was I being rude? Was I baiting to start a flamewar before someone told me to fuck off with my suggestions? My goal here is not to start flamewars, but I'm also rather amazed at how unfriendly this community is to people who disagree with their concept of the perfect game even slightly. You suggest a feature and you get childish posturing in reply.

gumshoe

I suggest that you look to the top of this page - and to the last page - and see how I began commenting here. Was I being rude? Was I baiting to start a flamewar before someone told me to fuck off with my suggestions? My goal here is not to start flamewars, but I'm also rather amazed at how unfriendly this community is to people who disagree with their concept of the perfect game even slightly. You suggest a feature and you get childish posturing in reply.
You haven't exactly been friendly yourself.

Using a 'buzzword' like 'edgy' kinda make your posts a little ironic don't you think?

The fact is Bare Mettle are certain in their design. You can like it or not but at least BM know the product they want to make and aren't just trying to catch as many gamer audiences ('Mainstream') as possible.

There are many people here who've disagreed with BM's choices and others' opinions, but without the negative thread direction following. Sure some people get defensive etc, but how you react adds to the atmosphere, it is not isolated.

Have a good day and maybe quit the childish return fire ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.