Wounds, Limbs and Gore

Ivan

Hey, singed to say good luck to the team with the game.

Also on the topic. A game like this will do greatly with dismembering and it's nice they are considering adding it into the game. It will add a good dark mood to the game.

From my personal experience the only hack and slash games that did dismembering the right way are age of chivalry (now known as "medieval warfare") and an old personal favorite "severance: blade of darkness"

I am Cuda

I think I may have just come up with an awesome idea on the topic of dismemberment and possible prosthetic limbs.

Say your character is seriously injured in a fight (left arm chopped off at elbow) but survives the battle and goes on to live another day. Then, while recovering in your home town or wherever, you craft or buy a flail that you can attach to the stump of your arm. So try and picture captain hook, but missing more of his arm, and instead of a hook its a deadly flail (or any other weapon you could attach to your arm).

Anyone else think this would be flippen' awesome?

Verva

I think I may have just come up with an awesome idea on the topic of dismemberment and possible prosthetic limbs.

Say your character is seriously injured in a fight (left arm chopped off at elbow) but survives the battle and goes on to live another day. Then, while recovering in your home town or wherever, you craft or buy a flail that you can attach to the stump of your arm. So try and picture captain hook, but missing more of his arm, and instead of a hook its a deadly flail (or any other weapon you could attach to your arm).

The problem is that it's nearly impossible to survive a lost limb without immediate access to modern medicine. Surviving a lost limb in this game's setting would be unrealistic on it's own, but then attaching a heavy weapon to it adds another level of improbability. Think: what would happen if you were to attach a large, heavy fixed object to your forearm, then try and hit things with it? You'd break your arm. Without any pivot, the weapon would exert far too much strain on your elbow, probably breaking it within the first battle.

I get that it sounds like a cool idea, but it's something that can't be done in a game that is based on realistic physics and damage.

Vagabond

The problem is that it's nearly impossible to survive a lost limb without immediate access to modern medicine. Surviving a lost limb in this game's setting would be unrealistic on it's own, but then attaching a heavy weapon to it adds another level of improbability. Think: what would happen if you were to attach a large, heavy fixed object to your forearm, then try and hit things with it? You'd break your arm. Without any pivot, the weapon would exert far too much strain on your elbow, probably breaking it within the first battle.

I get that it sounds like a cool idea, but it's something that can't be done in a game that is based on realistic physics and damage.
Readers,

I completely agree with Verva, it is completely ruin the immersion for me. It is very unrealistic. The only way I could see something like that working is if magic of some sort was involved. Magic like that would be incredibly unnatural, and likely drive fear into the common folk. It would also require a lot of thought and explanation for me so it doesn't turn into "Its magic, duh", I don't care for those kind of cop-out methods of explaining why something is the way it is.

Something else that could fall into the topic would be ratings. These types of things affect ratings. Personally, I don't buy games at retail. I'm a digital download-only type of guy. Trying to stay within a certain rating can kill a game, and I would prefer it if more developers disregarded ratings completely - it is the digital age of gaming. There is no need for retail or ratings. Creative freedom and uncensored content appeals to me. It is a bit rebellious, but I say stick it to the ratings boards. Don't let them dictate what creative content is put into our entertainment, especially for a game with a realistic and dark tone. I want a game with rape, pillage, racism, sexism, vicious politics, corrupt officials, death, disease, famine, no invisible walls, and no immunity for npcs (quest, young, old, or otherwise).

I want to feel like I am in a real world, with real evil, and real altruism. Where bad things happen to me, and to the people around me. Where I can make them happen, or go the other way and try to keep them from happening. They are a fact of life, and they should be present for a fully immersive game, happening with or without you present or influencing it.

Cheers,
Michael

A lot of people have been saying that it in a realistic, low fantasy game, such as Sui Generis, dismemberment would be fatal. I would just like to raise a couple of points.

• Firstly, dismemberment was a common way to punish thieves in the past. Even without modern medical attention, one could survive losing a limb. Mostly, these acts of dismemberment were carried out with a sharp weapon in a planned way. This fact would make losing a limb more survivable but it is still something to keep in mind.
  • Secondly, amputation in a naval setting was also not uncommon. Although people who had received traumatic injury to a limb and needed it amputated received medical attention, this was nowhere near the quality we have available to us today (or possibly equivalently in a magical medieval setting). This indicates that a traumatic injury followed by crude surgery is survivable.
  • Thirdly, I would like to refer to special cases of survival. Aron Ralston (of "127 Hours" fame) survived a self inflicted amputation with a dull multi-tool after 5 days of drinking small quantities of water and burritos (I kid you not).

Dismemberment would still be a big deal (especially if you did not have immediate access to someone who could heal you magically). All this being said, I think your character would only remain short a limb until you could get back to a safe place (where you could store your gear, etc.) and kill yourself to take advantage of the respawn.

Vagabond

A lot of people have been saying that it in a realistic, low fantasy game, such as Sui Generis, dismemberment would be fatal. I would just like to raise a couple of points.

• Firstly, dismemberment was a common way to punish thieves in the past. Even without modern medical attention, one could survive losing a limb. Mostly, these acts of dismemberment were carried out with a sharp weapon in a planned way. This fact would make losing a limb more survivable but it is still something to keep in mind.
  • Secondly, amputation in a naval setting was also not uncommon. Although people who had received traumatic injury to a limb and needed it amputated received medical attention, this was nowhere near the quality we have available to us today (or possibly equivalently in a magical medieval setting). This indicates that a traumatic injury followed by crude surgery is survivable.
  • Thirdly, I would like to refer to special cases of survival. Aron Ralston (of "127 Hours" fame) survived a self inflicted amputation with a dull multi-tool after 5 days of drinking small quantities of water and burritos (I kid you not).
Dismemberment would still be a big deal (especially if you did not have immediate access to someone who could heal you magically). All this being said, I think your character would only remain short a limb until you could get back to a safe place (where you could store your gear, etc.) and kill yourself to take advantage of the respawn.
the0thMonkey,

These are all incredible points. Personally, I'd opt for perma-death. If you die, you die. If you get knocked out
you have a chance to awaken depending on your injuries and if your foe leaves you to die, or if they deliver a coup-de-grace. If you lose a a limb, you'd better get into a place to apply a tourniquet, or you die. In the case of a lost hand, if you survive, you could still always strap a shield to your arm like Campbell did in braveheart (Hamish's Father). The "get in trouble but kill yourself to respawn out of trouble" thing is rather lame.

Just my two cents,
Michael

the0thMonkey,

These are all incredible points. Personally, I'd opt for perma-death. If you die, you die. If you get knocked out
you have a chance to awaken depending on your injuries and if your foe leaves you to die, or if they deliver a coup-de-grace. If you lose a a limb, you'd better get into a place to apply a tourniquet, or you die. In the case of a lost hand, if you survive, you could still always strap a shield to your arm like Campbell did in braveheart (Hamish's Father). The "get in trouble but kill yourself to respawn out of trouble" thing is rather lame.

Just my two cents,
Michael
The lameness of the "get in trouble but kill yourself to respawn out of trouble" thing depends on the story behind the mechanic. BME has some top secret reason why you can do this, but they are not telling anyone. :( Although they aren't telling us, they do seem to be quite pleased with it, and so far everything that pleases them has also pleased me, so I have high hopes. I hope this brings you some piece of mind.

Vagabond

The lameness of the "get in trouble but kill yourself to respawn out of trouble" thing depends on the story behind the mechanic. BME has some top secret reason why you can do this, but they are not telling anyone. :( Although they aren't telling us, they do seem to be quite pleased with it, and so far everything that pleases them has also pleased me, so I have high hopes. I hope this brings you some piece of mind.
the0thMonkey,

I hadn't read that. Thank you for that information. If there is a system and lore, I can get behind that.

Thanks,
Michael

This brings up an interesting point. I know for a fact there'll be one MAJOR city that's probably crawling with human activity. Would there be any NPC's that are thieving? It'd be cool to just see one sprinting away from a couple of guards. Could be a fun little mechanic (and ways for you to deal with this. help the guards or the thief?)

Also if the thief were to be caught he would get punished depending on the crime he/she comitted. Lose a finger, lose a hand...Public hanging? This could also mean you could lose a finger for thieving yourself. this wouldn't necessarily kill you but it'd put your skill with the blade behind. (unless it's your shield arm)

I can't wait to see how BME will tackle doing their city and towns. I'm just going to be patient ;)

BrecMadak

Insider
I want a game with rape, pillage, racism, sexism, vicious politics, corrupt officials, death, disease, famine, no invisible walls, and no immunity for npcs (quest, young, old, or otherwise).

I want to feel like I am in a real world, with real evil, and real altruism. Where bad things happen to me, and to the people around me. Where I can make them happen, or go the other way and try to keep them from happening. They are a fact of life, and they should be present for a fully immersive game, happening with or without you present or influencing it.
I fear most of these would not even happen (wish it would !), since devs not siding those 'so-called' bad things(?) willingly and, considering Madoc has qualified nudity and having an intercourse with someone in SG as "needless".
Same goes for not implementing children as if they were untouchable in real life...

Personally the direction taken within these issues i can not put my finger on it, cause reasonings were not good enough or reasonable, so that i just give up talking about it further.

I fear most of these would not even happen (wish it would !), since devs not siding those 'so-called' bad things(?) willingly and, considering Madoc has qualified nudity and having an intercourse with someone in SG as "needless".
Same goes for not implementing children as if they were untouchable in real life...

Personally the direction taken within these issues i can not put my finger on it, cause reasonings were not good enough or reasonable, so that i just give up talking about it further.
Censorship is a bitch. It's just because video games are an extensive and global medium that a lot of kids utilise. This is why we have books I guess (like A Song of Ice and Fire)

Ickorus

Insider
All this talk of dismemberment..

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see a knight in black armor that is immune to dismemberment guarding a bridge.

Infidel

Insider
All this talk of dismemberment..

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see a knight in black armor that is immune to dismemberment guarding a bridge.
And by 'immune' I assume you mean he keeps fighting after losing arms and legs, claiming "It's just a flesh wound!".

Ickorus

Insider
And by 'immune' I assume you mean he keeps fighting after losing arms and legs, claiming "It's just a flesh wound!".
Something like that, yes. :)

On the entire decapitation and dismemberment debate, I'd say no to it being a survivable injury, it'd be a waste of developer time and resources because most people would skip it by simply killing themselves to become whole again.

If I were to suggest a system it'd be having decapitation be a mortal wound but on respawn the player character would 'remember' the wound and take a certain amount of time to become fully proficient with that limb again so for instance if the shield arm is taken off the player respawns and perhaps has a harder time blocking attacks for the next several minutes until they become 'used to' the arm again or if they lose a leg perhaps they might have a higher chance of stumbling when they try to use the leg or they sprint slower or something for a period of time.

It adds a consequence (albeit temporary) to the dismemberment without all the extra annoyances a survivable dismemberment would entail for the developers.

Cooper Holt

Insider

No.
It has already been confirmed that nothing of this sort will ever happen in this game.

I am Cuda

No.
It has already been confirmed that nothing of this sort will ever happen in this game.
Yeah, I know it wont be put into the game. And as a matter of fact I don't really think I would want it in the game either, but when I thought of the idea I had to share it with someone, so where better than the Sui Generis Wounds, Limbs and Gore thread?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.