The Exanima Videos & Screenshots Thread

In a medieval world, pink should be one of the most common colors amongst the working class. You're talking natural fiber cloth, most of which is going to be beige or brown to start with unless somebody takes the time and expense to bleach it somehow. Then your talking natural pigments, nearly all of which are water-soluble so fade quickly, don't come in every color, and the availability of certain colors varies widely. In the real world, red was common and cheap whereas purple was rare and expensive.

So say you've got some coarse homespun that's naturally a sort of brownish color, and dye it with cheap red pigment. Then you work up and sweat in it, or are out in the rain or even just prolonged exposure to UV light. Before too long, your clothes will be some pinkish shade.
Your own source here: http://rosaliegilbert.com/dyesandcolours.html explicitly states that "Red dye which came from madder was significantly more expensive than the blue dye which came from woad." What made purple so expensive was the red dye, as purple dye is just a combination of red and blue. After the medieval era when there was access to the Americas red dye became more prevalent because they could use the carmine dye from the cochineal bug, which was indigenous to the Americas. Check out the wikipedia page here. As a matter of fact, one of the cheapest dyes in the medieval era was blackish-blue. As it could come from many cheap plants such as whortleberry, black currant, woad, indigo, or anchusa.

Zoltan

Supporter
I am starting to wonder if we shouldn't start a thread about about coloring fashion over the ages... I'm kidding but we really glided away from the thread subject :D

Dorag

I'm surprised no one shared Jerma's video yet

This guy's just brilliant and he made me laugh SO much, and this is why I love this game so much, it feels so personal, so.. Realistic :D

Zoltan

Supporter
I just need really long hair, dresses, and stilletos. Then I'll be completely satisfied.:D
That would be cool to look at but i doubt they ever do the stilettos in their world, though I would love to see what would they do to the character with that physics animation :cool:

Zoltan

Supporter
I'm surprised no one shared Jerma's video yet

This guy's just brilliant and he made me laugh SO much, and this is why I love this game so much, it feels so personal, so.. Realistic :D
Oh yeah good one indeed, thanks, I had fun especially when he was wearing that wood frame & box :)

NachoDawg

That would be cool to look at but i doubt they ever do the stilettos in their world, though I would love to see what would they do to the character with that physics animation :cool:
Well now, high heels originate as equestrian footwear, you know, for riding and stuff. And we are getting horses in SG, so it's not that far off

Bullethead

Your own source here: http://rosaliegilbert.com/dyesandcolours.html explicitly states that "Red dye which came from madder was significantly more expensive than the blue dye which came from woad."
It depends on what where you live and what you use for red dye. If you read further down the page where it has recipes for dyes, you'll see several for red, some of which are made from common red dirt. Where I live, the dirt is red and wild indigo plants are very common weeds. No woad, but still plenty of fixings for red and blue dyes.

What made purple so expensive was the red dye, as purple dye is just a combination of red and blue.
The purple dye that was so expensive was made from the ink of marine snails. It wasn't a mix, it was its own thing by itself. The raw material was relatively rare and difficult to obtain, so was quite expensive. Clothing dyed with this purple became a symbol of rulership, only worn by emperors and kings.

Greenbrog

Insider
Boxes are a known issue to "transmute things", putting keys in boxes seems to be the main way to "iniate" this bug, don't put keys in boxes, though undoing the transmute is tough.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.