Interesting weapons

Ickorus

Insider
Take a look at the variety of weapons in Dark Souls, if we get anything like that I'll be very happy.

My personal favourites:

- Rapiers - Fast stabbing weapon with medium-to-long reach. Excels at fighting enemies wielding large, slow weapons by darting in, attacking and then darting back out before the enemy can adequately respond but has a much tougher challenge fighting other fast weapons. (Brilliant weapon for parries & ripostes if those are added into the game.)

- Polearms - Slow weapon with long and wide reach. Excels at dealing with groups of enemies and keeping them at a distance but becomes worse than useless if someone manages to get close.

- Scimitar - Fast slashing weapon with short reach. A very good weapon dealing a lot of cuts fast at very close range, if you were to fight someone with a polearm and got close to them this would probably be the weapon to wield. Weak against armored opponents but powerful against light or unarmored opponents.

BigT2themax

Insider
Take a look at the variety of weapons in Dark Souls, if we get anything like that I'll be very happy.

My personal favourites:

- Rapiers - Fast stabbing weapon with good reach. Excels at fighting enemies wielding large, slow weapons by darting in, attacking and then darting back out before the enemy can adequately respond but has a much tougher challenge fighting other fast weapons. (Brilliant weapon for parries & ripostes if those are added into the game.)

- Polearms - Slow weapon with long and wide reach. Excels at dealing with groups of enemies and keeping them at a distance but becomes worse than useless if someone manages to get close.

- Scimitar - Fast slashing weapon with short reach. A very good weapon dealing a lot of cuts fast at very close range, if you were to fight someone with a polearm and got close to them this would probably be the weapon to wield.
That's the sort of thing I'd love to see. Having lots of different weapons, and, due to the way your character holds them, and their weight and shapes, have unique properties (and with it, playstyles) for each. I'd rather see that than have every weapon just work the exact same way as every other weapon of it's type. I hope the engine will be able to handle this kind of stuff, because if it can, and BM does do this, it'll make the combat so awesome.

What would be especially nice is if BM can come up with some weapons that would be implausible or unfeasible in real life, but can be simulated in the game engine well enough to be used in combat. That would make the game REALLY stand out, even amongst other games where weapons like them are also usable, because in Sui, it'll all be physics-based, which would be much better than just preset animations you'd find in other games.

Ickorus

Insider
What would be especially nice is if BM can come up with some weapons that would be implausible or unfeasible in real life, but can be simulated in the game engine well enough to be used in combat. That would make the game REALLY stand out, even amongst other games where weapons like them are also usable, because in Sui, it'll all be physics-based, which would be much better than just preset animations you'd find in other games.
I'd be very disappointed if we aren't able to dual-wield shields. :p

Bibidibop

Insider
The hunting yo-yo. Philippine hunters would throw a rock connected by rope at an animals legs, and the rope would tangle in the legs, while also offering a chance to recoil the stone for a second throw. But, what if it were more like a toy yoyo and could be whipped around for repeated hits, like a retracting flail?

Other chain weapons would be great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_weapon

We simply must have the venerable Germanic judicial combat shield. JUDICIAL COMBAT!!! It's like a real life version of a bat'leth. For that matter, a bat'leth would be a great Easter egg.

Vagabond

The German Zweihander, my favorite melee weapon. They can adapt to nearly any situation (aside from ranged combat. However, Cold Steel demonstrated the sword being thrown like a spear, piercing a steel hood).

It's one thing I haven't seen a game do: individual weapon stances/grips. The zweihander for example, could be used with a "half-swording" grip for close quarters combat.

Bibidibop

Insider
http://www.deviantart.com/download/126677381/Zweihander__by_Zeppi_il_Hafi.jpg

The German Zweihander, my favorite melee weapon. They can adapt to nearly any situation (aside from ranged combat. However, Cold Steel demonstrated the sword being thrown like a spear, piercing a steel hood).

It's one thing I haven't seen a game do: individual weapon stances/grips. The zweihander for example, could be used with a "half-swording" grip for close quarters combat.
The game would have to have stances for that sword to really shine, otherwise I wouldn't want a sword as awesome as that in the game.

Vagabond

The game would have to have stances for that sword to really shine, otherwise I wouldn't want a sword as awesome as that in the game.
Bibidibop,

I agree completely. It's one of gaming's greatest flaws; they make everything too generic and streamlined. I understand that it makes it easier to produce and balance, but it really takes out realistic styling. Most games require set animations for everything, so it would likely take a lot of man hours to create animations for each stance and grip of a weapon. The Zweihander had a whole fencing manual to accompany it. There was a reverse grip to start a fight with an upward or outside swing to make a large clearance radius around the fencer who would use the space to get in close to use the half swording technique. That is three sets of animations there. The difference between those games and this one is that, if I understand correctly, in Sui Generis they just have to rig the weapon onto the skeleton and the physics engine takes care of the rest.

Cheers,
Michael

Bibidibop

Insider
Bibidibop,

I agree completely. It's one of gaming's greatest flaws; they make everything too generic and streamlined. I understand that it makes it easier to produce and balance, but it really takes out realistic styling. Most games require set animations for everything, so it would likely take a lot of man hours to create animations for each stance and grip of a weapon. The Zweihander had a whole fencing manual to accompany it. There was a reverse grip to start a fight with an upward or outside swing to make a large clearance radius around the fencer who would use the space to get in close to use the half swording technique. That is three sets of animations there. The difference between those games and this one is that, if I understand correctly, in Sui Generis they just have to rig the weapon onto the skeleton and the physics engine takes care of the rest.

Cheers,
Michael
Soul Caliber did pretty good with this, two of the characters have stance based combat with a huge sword, making them quite different from the other characters. Also, if the animation system for Sue Generis is anything like Overgrowth then it would be easy to make the animations required.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.