Search results

1. SRJR

Music and Sounds

Bringing together the bar setting with the silence idea, you could do the opposite of NWN- if the player had a bad relationship with the town, a noisy tavern could go quiet as soon as the hero walked in.
  2. SRJR

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Sui-sons Greetings!
  3. SRJR

Music and Sounds

I turn music off for the same reasons as Psychomorph, and I completely agree about the minimalism. A long stretch of silence can remind a player of the serenity (or tension) of the moment. Besides, any music gets tiresome- minecraft's music plays less than half the time, but I still got sick of...
  4. SRJR

Piercing vs Skeleton and Skeleton in general

I agree that the sword wasn't really designed for fighting armor. Some large swords were meant to be used upside-down (held on the blade and swung like a hammer) against heavy armor. Still, it's not like swords won't do damage against armor. Even in plate mail, you're still getting hit with a...
  5. SRJR

The Fan Art Thread!

I stared making one as a joke and got sucked in. The flail is backwards on purpose.
  6. SRJR

Dynamic Lighting Mechanics

I make games as a hobby, so I also think about SG in terms of what is possible on a software level. If you are rendering dynamic lights, then you can find out how much light is being cast on a certain point, and if the value goes above a certain amount, then you are visible. You could even...
  7. SRJR

How would you define difficulty ?

I'm not trying to say that level design is all that matters, I'm saying you don't have to make complicated and unpredictable AI to surprise the player and provide unique challenges. I would argue that the chess "level" isn't the grid, it's the positioning of available pieces- if your...
  8. SRJR

Merchants and Vendors

I'm glad coins will have real weight. This was the case in early Everquest, and high-level players ingeniously overcame it by carrying around valuable gemstones (normally used for crafting but could be sold for 95% of the cost) and by doing large trades at the bank. Item storage will likely be...
  9. SRJR

Merchants and Vendors

I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere, but I did a few searches and couldn't find a thread for it. What types of vendors can we expect in the game? - If the game can fit them, a big variety is nice. There's no reason that one vendor should sell every type of item, or even every type of...
  10. SRJR

How would you define difficulty ?

I don't think you need advanced AI to challenge a player and make them think on their feet. Take chess for example. All of the pieces move in a very specific and predictable way, but when you arrange them on the board in a complex manner, the player has to think on their feet. Level design is...
  11. SRJR

I get a little tired of games that have a legendary all-powerful sword that can slay any evil and... looks and works exactly the same as a starting sword. I think starting weapons should be ridiculously cheap and weak, like a heavy stick, or a length of chain. That way you have a nice variety of...
  12. SRJR

I assume that by "piercing" you mean stabbing, not armor-piercing. I definitely agree that a skeleton would be less vulnerable to stabbing attacks, but there is only one kind of weapon that you would jab with rather than slash, and that's the spear. Spears are badly under-explored in games...
  13. SRJR

In regards to game difficulty

I tend to play games on the hardcore side, often putting arbitrary restrictions on myself if the game isn't challenging enough (for example, I just finished Fry Cry 3 on hard using only explosives. I play GTA4 with a restricted view mod and 4x vehicle damage). I hate being able to beat a level...
  14. SRJR

Dynamic Lighting Mechanics

Having all dynamic lighting offers a few opportunities for gameplay. Many have mentioned hiding in the shadows, and personally I like the idea of using a torch or a lantern to uncover enemies in dark corridors. However, one more possibility occurred to me, and I'm not sure if it's reasonable...
  15. SRJR

Buildings and destruction

This is really important, otherwise the player could just kill every NPC in the game one by one, and nobody would suspect a thing. There is still a problem with it, though- when do the posters show up? Do they just appear on the sides of buildings when you are not looking? In-game Law and...
  16. SRJR

I figured as much, it's just fun to talk about mechanics. The thing that bothers me about fines and prison sentences is when they come into effect- for example in bethesda games, you commit one crime and every guard is telepathically notified. To fix this, a time-out could be put in place (all...
  17. SRJR

Different npc "factions"

I think factions are extremely good to have in games. I also like the idea of Ranking within the faction. For example if you kill the ruler of a castle, one of the remaining faction will replace him. This way you can have an organic, realistic faction, without the need to respawn NPCs.
  18. SRJR

Earlier today I imagined a game scenario in which buildings could be destroyed. Of course this would be challenging to do in a game like Sui Generis (how much damage would the roof deal when it falls down on you? how many individual objects are in a section of wall?) but let's assume that...
  19. SRJR

De gustibus non est disputandum

De gustibus non est disputandum

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.