[0.6.1]: Equipment comparisment

Saetheer

Insider
Hey.

Finally I've found time to start playing games again, and that means I've started to master the combat system which means looting, scavenging is not so hard.

I tried searching for this, but dont know why I'm turning up empty since I recall seeing this before?
However, there is one thing that I really feel like missing: A quick way to compare the current item you found, compared to the one you currently have equipped. I finding it hard figuring out which 'slot' the new armor tunic (f.eks.) goes, since I have so many layers of clothes and armor. Belt, tunic, leather vest.. Hell, I dont even know all of the...

konggary

I would like it if when you hover a piece of equipment over your character, it pops up the stats window of both that item and the one it may replace, side by side. If it will not replace anything, it will pop up an empty window instead or some indicator that it's not replacing anything.

Then to make comparisons easier, it would be nice to have some indicator of how the stats are changing. If tunic A has 1 more slash resist but 1 less impact, the extra dot would be highlighted positively and the deprecated stat highlighted negatively.

There are a hundred ways to implement this, for example any typical MMO or RPG

Murf

There are a hundred ways to implement this, for example any typical MMO or RPG

I do hope if they do implement something that it is not like any typical MMO or RPG since they are trying to stay as far away from that as possible.

Put coat on, see if other coat gets taken off.

Put shirt on, see if other shirt gets taken off.

Put pants on, see if other pants gets taken off.

Put shoes on, see if other pair of shoes go off.

Put gloves on, see if other gloves go off.

Put cap on, see if other cap goes off.

Put vest on, see if other vest goes off.

Put boots on, see if other boots go off.

Put braces/vambraces on, see if other braces/vambraces go off.

Put spaulders on, see if other pair goes off.

Put coif on, see if other coif goes off.

Put helmet on, see if other helmet goes off.

Put bracers on, see if other pair goes off.

Put leggings on, see if other leggings go off.

Put armour on, see if other set goes off.

Now go check to see what got replaced and compare it.

Last edited:

Zuri

I'm with konggary on this, the game can't refuse to use an element simply because it appears in other games.
It's all a matter of how it's implemented.

For instance, the current game still uses a Tooltip system of sorts for representing the value of items to the player.

The current system is used thusly:
- Lock the Tooltip for the new item on-screen.
- Find the item it will replace in the character screen.
- If the item is hidden under another item or you don't know which will be replaced
- Put the new item on, the old one will appear in your inventory.
- Lock the Tooltip for the item that is (or was) equipped
- Visually compare each stat and make a decision (remembering which item is currently equipped)

In other mmo's, holding shift while viewing an items Tooltip will compare the items by bringing up the Tooltip of the relevant, currently equipped item beside it and maybe highlighting some values.

We don't even have to go this far though. I would propose something like:

I am wearing a shirt item which has:
- 5 globes coverage
- 3 globes impact protection
- 1 globe slashing protection
- 0 globes encumbrance

I pick up another shirt item which has:
- 4 globes coverage
- 6 globes impact protection
- 4 globes crushing protection
- 1 globe encumbrance

When I open the Tooltip for the unequipped item, the game compares it with currently equipped items.
finding that I have already equipped a shirt item which will be replaced, it alters the Tooltip, which now shows:

- 4 globes, then one shadowy one of coverage
- 3 globes, then 3 glowing ones of impact protection
- 4 glowing globes of crushing protection
- 1 shadowy globe of slashing protection
- 1 shadowy globe of encumbrance

This allows us to quickly compare at a glance, without looking back and forth between Tooltips. Using a single Tooltip also solves the problem of how the values appear to "move around", which also impedes decision making.
For example:
- Items protect from (or deal) different kinds of damage
- Tooltips do not show all kinds of damage (e.g, my new shirt protects from crushing but not from slashing)
- This often changes the order of values on two different Tooltips
- One might show slashing before impact, the other might have impact before crushing
- Impact appears to have moved.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.