3D motion reality Gameplay?

BlackCore

Insider
Saw this video and thought how trippy would it be if wearing this headset and playing Sui Generis in "First Person" mode?

Would this even be possible?

MangoMarr

I would say probably not.

Sui Generis isn't being made to look good from that perspective. I would welcome anyone trying though.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
That looks great, but for Sui Generis no, also expect the consumer version to be out 2014, with very little game support.

MangoMarr

also expect the consumer version to be out 2014, with very little game support.
Rather cynical! :) Indeed it won't have much support initially, but the homebrew nature of it has garnered a lot of attention. It all depends on how the sales figures go. Actually, don't loads of people already have them pre-ordered? I've heard it'll only take a relatively simple patch for most engines to fully utilise the Rift.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I've not heard that, I'm sure the guys said it needs to be implemented into the engine very early, I can't wait to get my hands on one, but something telling me to wait till a v2 comes out haha.

MangoMarr

If you look at the 'Software' branch in their FAQ, it states that the Unity and Unreal engines are basically supported off the bat - just needs simple patching. Other engines require a deeper commitment, but the SDK apparently lifts the burden there also.

So, not quite as simple as I was saying, but also no where near as daunting as you thought either. :)

I think you're definitely right to wait for the v2s, though.

Parco

This in skyrim, would be epic. but also scary when a giant slams his giant stick in your face.

or use this while playing slenderman O.O

Octo

Insider
What you call 3d motion reality is usually known as virtual reality, or vr.
I'd like to see support for this even if it's not in first person, it would still add a lot of immersion.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
What you call 3d motion reality is usually known as virtual reality, or vr.
I'd like to see support for this even if it's not in first person, it would still add a lot of immersion.
+1

I was just thinking you'd feel like a God looking down at your character.

Octo

Insider
You could look around freely over the landscape, but even the FOV makes for a huge difference.

It looks like it could be awesome, but I feel like I'd end up breaking my computer or falling off my chair or something... Is there such a thing as too much immersion? ;)

Rob

I think that the oculus rift sounds great. There have been analogous technologies over the years (i.e. 3D headsets) but they've always had pitiful resolution, so I've never been tempted.

I think it's got potential to be awesome, but it's not going to work with just any game. The games will have to have *proper* support for it - they need to be made to measure, so to speak. Same goes for 3D films. That's one of the shortcomings of many of the "games that work with 3D" to date. There are relatively few that really work well with 3D because they haven't been designed that way, which leads to disappointment in most cases, even though it's fun for a while (I'm referring to enabling 3D through iz3d/nvidia drivers). And I'm a big fan of 3D, so I'm not being a skeptic.

In my opinion, Oculus Rift support shouldn't just be a hack that's added to games. If implemented, it should be done with proper consideration. Consequently, I can imagine that getting Sui Generis to work well with Oculus Rift would not be a trivial task, and as such Bare Mettle won't be able to devote it the necessary resources, given the length of the existing wish-list!!! (of course, it would be great if it was supported!)

For those that are interested, here is a list of games with planned Oculus Rift support:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift#Software

I'd be very skeptical about any homebrew or after-patch solutions, such as it "working with any unity/unreal game". Done properly, it will add immersion. Done poorly, it will break immersion.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I think this Hardware would best work with Horror/Survival games. Why? Take a look at Outlast Trailer, its in game but its cinematic, now, with this hardware, its possible to act like a proper character in the world. Imagine peaking round a corner at something, wow. That's just amazing.

Octo

Insider
This first version doesn't have positional tracking, so unfortunately you can't peak behind things by leaning.
It's something they have planned to add to the final product though.
I think it'll work best for almost every type of game! Racing, horror, shooters, anything with the freedom we can't do on an every day basis...swinging around like spiderman, or 'flying' around in prototype? hell yea.
Even RTS would be cool, soaring over the battlefield like an eagle ;)
It probably won't be limited to games either...if you film experiences with a 360° camera you could skydive, dive, go to museums and concerts etc virtually. It's truly a game changer, once it matures.

Parco

even if the motion sensors in OR will not be supported, i hope they still make the screen itself compatible with the game so i can use OR as a normal screen while playing.

Saw this video and thought how trippy would it be if wearing this headset and playing Sui Generis in "First Person" mode?

Would this even be possible?
You wouldn't need a first person mode. There are a few developers that are slowly realizing this. Anything would be better using the Rift no matter the view. tracking aside it is natural 3d. Tracking could do things like alow the player to look around the world more. Eyeball tracking can allow for targeting or selecting things. All kinds of awesome things could be done. No game no matter the type wouldn't benefit is someway. Very excited for the new Crystal Cove revision of the Rift. A bit of a downer using a second peripheral camera but I understand getting software to figure out where the head is in relation to the shoulders using only gyroscopes would probably be very difficult and inaccurate, so for now it is necessary. My idea was building the camera into the Rift itself to measure head position by looking at surfaces around the user. or some kind of sensor. Just build it right in. I think I heard the lady in the video say the Rift could track her eyes so see could like lock on to incoming missiles. If that is true I am so happy for the possibilities that opens up. I was hoping for that very thing one day. I had no idea it would make in for the first eventual consumer model. I thought maybe some revision int he future that would happen. Higher resolution displays are awesome too of course. This idea to only keep the static image from the graphics displayed for that brief moment and then keeping the screen off until a new one is received from graphics combined with a high frame rate to eliminate blur is genius. It is a trade off to be sure. Playing games at frame rates not high enough would result in a lot of flicker or black screen time so this would force users to focus on frame rates or not be able to play certain games at all until they can achieve high enough frame rates. Less of course the flicker isn't too bad it could add a bit of cinema effect to their content. This could make playing games more expensive having to upgrade our rigs more often but it sounds like the right way to go. http://bit.ly/1dQs8ga

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.