3D motion reality Gameplay?

Tessaya

Insider
Yep, I too have found it quite hard to believe noone seems to realise how natural 3D would improve even RTS games (and others with that kind of perspective). I'm sure if I can configure mine so head moves control the camera I'll use it in DOTA as it's basically a hand free analog pad.

Brendan

Developer
Interesting topic this. You guys are right stereo 3D is cool, even without the tracking etc. in an isometric game.

Madoc's engine does support stereo already (with 120hz and shutter glasses, or anaglyph which is amusing with £1 glasses but obviously not a viable solution for gaming); it's actually been *core* OpenGL functionality for many years, but sadly Nvidia and AMD both disable it in their consumer drivers (yet enable it for D3D), presumably in an attempt to sell (increasingly) hardware identical workstation versions of their cards.

I found a thread recently where some people seemed to find that quad buffer stereo has been enabled for OpenGL on Nvidia consumer cards, but I haven't been able to replicate that even with the 3D Vision drivers installed. They did have the 3D Vision 2 hardware too though, so I guess it's possible that it could be enabled with the IR emitter plugged in, senseless as that seems. Have to buy it to try it I spose!

Oculus Rift as far as I understand works differently; you have 2 displays which you output different frames to, so you don't rely on that support but there is some additional work involved in using it. We're kind of busy at the moment but might look into it eventually!

lvk

Insider
Oculus Rift as far as I understand works differently; you have 2 displays which you output different frames to, so you don't rely on that support but there is some additional work involved in using it. We're kind of busy at the moment but might look into it eventually!
If it helps anything, the Oculus Rift uses a single display, but you use half of the resolution for each respective eye - unless that's what you meant by two displays, on the visual end.

While it definitely may not be a priority right now, Oculus has made it surprisingly easy to work with the developer kit, even on a lower level (device enumeration/initialization and whatnot). This is one of the reasons I'm a fan of the company - they're being nice to developers as well. A lot of indie developers have reported getting the Rift working in way less time than they expected.

Brendan

Developer
If it helps anything, the Oculus Rift uses a single display, but you use half of the resolution for each respective eye - unless that's what you meant by two displays, on the visual end.

While it definitely may not be a priority right now, Oculus has made it surprisingly easy to work with the developer kit, even on a lower level (device enumeration/initialization and whatnot). This is one of the reasons I'm a fan of the company - they're being nice to developers as well. A lot of indie developers have reported getting the Rift working in way less time than they expected.
Fair enough, sounds like it might not be much hassle to implement development wise then! Personally, my main problem with it is (/was:)) that I can't see much use for the tracking functionality in a game that relies on cursor based input. That said, it is an interesting stereo solution, particularly because it isn't subject to the same visual problems that shutter glasses are, not needing to maintain 120hz and requiring a workstation graphics card.

Reactions: lvk

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.