Any reason not to use shields?

Ketobor

I prefer when choices exist meaningfully. As it stands now, I cannot figure out for the life of me why I wouldnt use a shield if one was available.

This feels like a weakness of the game.

Am I wrong here? Is there some use to a pure one-handed weapon?

There certainly are many possibilities for reasons, faster swing speed, faster movement, better balance. I am just not sure any of those exist in a way I can notice.

If you don't have a shield, wanna use a torch or 2h weapons...Other than that as far as I know (my knowledge is limited) nope.

Holy.Death

Insider
Using a hield means you HAVE to get in harm's way and the lack range (as one-handed weapons are rather short) means you can find yourself at a disadvantage when fighting a group of enemies. I think Bare Mettle is aiming at reducing the shield's "invincibility mode" by making really strong hits do damage your stamina instead of blocking everything. I can also see weapon such as a flail being able to bypass a shield.

Two-handers are a viable choice as they can hit from afar and hit hard, even when enemies are decently armored. In fact I think it's easier to start when you use a two-handed weapon instead of a shield, because shield does take some using to while with two-handers you simply step out of the way.

Ketobor

You seem to misunderstand. To such a degree it seems you think my question is obvious beyond reckoning.

I have fought with swords, and I have fought using shields in real life. Managing a shield a significant pain, even for someone experienced. They are heavy, bulky, and get in the way of a lot of movements.

Is there any advantage to wielding a one-handed weapon without a shield? I ask this because I truly feel there should be and am not feeling it at all.

Buggeroo

Insider
I don't think there is a difference as it is right now. I know there has been mentions about armour slowing you down a bit, depending on skill levels when those are implemented. I would imagine something similar regarding shields at some point.

-Tim-

Insider
This is a good question. I believe especially the bigger shields (because of the weight/physics) slow down your turning speed a little bit and make turns a bit less precise. Other than that, shield > empty hand in this game. This may change soon though, with the implementation of the skill system.

Merlkir

Insider
The way characters block with shields and with a one handed weapon are slightly different. I actually prefer to go without a shield, just for the feeling one handed weapons give me. Dunno how objective or system-based this is.

Holy.Death

Insider
You seem to misunderstand. To such a degree it seems you think my question is obvious beyond reckoning.

I have fought with swords, and I have fought using shields in real life. Managing a shield a significant pain, even for someone experienced. They are heavy, bulky, and get in the way of a lot of movements.

Is there any advantage to wielding a one-handed weapon without a shield? I ask this because I truly feel there should be and am not feeling it at all.
I see.

As of right now there is no disadvantage of using a shield, but I suspect that skill system might come into play and change things a little. I am know for sure they said something about making heavier weapons not be as easily parrable by light weapons in the future so here is that.

Madoc

Project Lead
Just as with armour we're adding some encumberance disadvantages to shields that will need to be countered by investing in the shield skill. I also already find shields to be somewhat cumbersome purely due to physics, especially the larger ones, it is a real dead weight on your character. I find fighting with just a sword is more precise and responsive, the character has better balance etc.

I am almost purely a sword and shield fighter, and would definitely like to see more depth to the shield system, adding weight to the shields is already a great first step, but would like to see the skill system effect it in subtle ways and not just giving you more moves. Things like increased nimbleness with a shield, improved blow absorption, being able to absorb a blow to the shield while still following through with an attack, the obvious shield bash, and maybe something like a shield shove that pushes an enemy off balance. I have never being able to unfoot an enemy with a sword and shield and believe the shield bash/shove could be an answer to that.

This point would need to be properly thought through and balanced, but I feel you should also be able to parry with your weapon but probably very restricted to blows coming towards your own weapon or head from the right side. I know weapons clash, but it would be nice to have a more subtle way to block from that direction rather than always trying to rotate your character so your shield intercepts.

Last edited:

Elaxter

Insider
I notice that when I use just a sword, my character can attack without his offhand swinging wildy. This allows me to stop my attacks easier to parry and attack. It's purely preference.

SpaceKing

I've found the shield you find in Story Mode to be useless, verging on counter-productive. It's far better to have the torch for light or a good two-handed weapon. In arena they can be useful, but I'd say the ones we have right now are waaaay too small to be that great. They block the occasional hit, but for the most part the flailing arms defeat the purpose of having a shield.

A good tower shield, now that I could get behind. Yes, pun intended.

Buggeroo

Insider
In story mode, I never switched away from the barrel lid, simply because of the size it seems to be the most effective. I am guessing when they implement damage penetration and skills, there will be more incentive to use better/lighter shields

I always use the shield in the campaign mode,if you find it useless then you are using it wrong, I never have a sense of flailing arms, maybe you aren't balancing properly. I use the torch if I am caught in a situation where I am surprised, but most of the time I have my shield out. I usually go barrel lid- square shield- heater/sturdy round shield. I am trying to do a little testing to find difference between the heater and sturdy shield,frim what I can see the heater shield doesn't block all damage and is lighter so easier to position.

Playing the campaign yesterday and trying to decide btw the 2 shields I had a few ideas. Heavier shields should have more bash or should do some stamina damage when bashing, lighter shields have the advantage of being more nimble, with better balance when performing wide swings. There should be realistic and smart advantages and disadvantages to all choices. There shouldn't be simply better gear, but gear should be a conscious choice, involving not just protection, but nimble news and speed. Armor should weigh you down, and make it easier to lose balance. Wearing leather armor should allow you to be definitely faster than an armored guy, possibly faster reaction time.

ZaratanCho

Insider
@SpaceKing I dunno, i don't use shields much but i prefer the small bucklers if i am going to. The mace and shield from the 5th guy in expert is a great set up.

Murf

For now, the shield properties have not been completely implemented , so in this case size does matter, I stick with barrel lid unless I am using a smaller character (way to clunky on lil short dudes) and switch to the heater in the armory.

Zotis

I notice that when I use just a sword, my character can attack without his offhand swinging wildy. This allows me to stop my attacks easier to parry and attack. It's purely preference.
This does seem to be the case. I was trying this out today, with the shield vs without. I think the reaction time is a bit quicker without the shield.

Personally I find balanced double-handed weapons much superior than any combo with a shield.
I wouldnt say so, probably because in the arena you have an open space, try fighting me and my sword and shield in the campaign and you will find me fighting in tight places.

NachoDawg

Long weapons (2hander/polearm) are my favorite weapons given there's room to use them. It's a lot safer to keep a distance from the enemy and poke him with the end of your weapon rather than to count on your shield continuously being able to block everything. Ironically, this leads me to think board/shield types are more offensive than 2hander types.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.