Arena Looting

MindSliver

So I opted in to the new Examina beta to check out all the cool things they did with the arena and what not and immediately jumped in. named my character, picked out a weapon, etc... jumped into my first match (fray) woot! new game modes : ). killed everything in the room and then spent the next 5 minutes picking out the best gear from all the corpses and was feeling pretty good about my first match... I then hit exit and popped back to the hub area with absolutely nothing I had picked up... and that's when I realized that i was going to have to grind grind grind for coin to get every shabby layer of fabric. Srsly guys? what happened to arena looting, totes my favorite thing about arena haha. I don't like fighting things that are better equipped than me. I DO like stealing their stuff when they're dead, which makes the fighting (and now the risk) worth it. PS. bomb ass game gents, purchased today and I think I've been playing it for 10 hours now.

burgzaza

Insider
You can loot and use the items for the matches you are in. Better loot in elimination mode, where you can keep the stuff you pick for the next 5 enemies.
It would ruin the purpose of the store if you could pick up and use or sell stuff that way.
I find it more satisfying to buy my onw gear instead of stealing it ( witch is of course fun too, but not for this mode, remember it's an arena, the owner of the fighters get the gear back if they lose a mercenary, as you do ! ^^ ), and you can get better items that way, like "superior" stats;)

Tyon

Perhaps make it so you can still keep your bought gear if you get defeated, but any looted gear you have on will be gone. It's a pretty meta concept though, which is something the devs don't like.

I think the best option would be to lower the prices on the gear or give us higher rewards for all the match types.

MindSliver

I dunno. the "looted gear lost on defeat" actually makes a lot of sense. kinda the cost of doing business I like that. Right now I'm just fighting more with the system more than the opponents, trying to figure out why my aspirant appears without weapons (not even in inventory) when I start an aspirant level fight. lol.

I dunno. the "looted gear lost on defeat" actually makes a lot of sense. kinda the cost of doing business I like that. Right now I'm just fighting more with the system more than the opponents, trying to figure out why my aspirant appears without weapons (not even in inventory) when I start an aspirant level fight. lol.
I was actually confused with things like that as well. A lot of people are, too, from what I've seen on the forums. To the left of the merchant area, there's a paper on the wall, looks like the fight list paper, click that, and your inventory items will be on the right when you click your character. You'll find it :)

MindSliver

Yep it's official. i liked the old Arena mode better. I see the potential in this one. but there are several reasons that I enjoyed arena mode. it's was simple, I could go there and immediately get into an interesting fight without the stress or worrying about management and losing gear and all that. i could fight all I want and enjoy the combat without all the BS of going through the campaign and being careful and slowly building up from zero to hero. I"m loving the campaign but now the arena is a new campaign and I'm having a real hard time convincing myself that all this low level not-having-any-fun is going to be worth it after I put in the first 40 hours ugh....

MindSliver

I was actually confused with things like that as well. A lot of people are, too, from what I've seen on the forums. To the left of the merchant area, there's a paper on the wall, looks like the fight list paper, click that, and your inventory items will be on the right when you click your character. You'll find it :)
Yeah I know all about it : ) I'll outfit my character as an aspirant, move the little slider over 1 so I can equip the gear, then put it on my character, exit, go to the fight board, start a fight and my guy will be wearing pants and a shirt with no weapons in hand or in inventory. I think it must be a bug or something.

I loved the simple arena as well. I have two copies of the game on my computer, one from this site, which is un-updated, and the fully updated Steam version. Whenever I wanna get into a simple tussle, I can click on the un-updated version and start bopping hahahaha

That definitely sounds like a bug... Try to let Madoc or someone know, these devs jump on people's game problems like a snap of the finger. It surprised me how quickly I was helped, usually it takes a few days, but they get right on it.

MindSliver

WOOT! that may be the best solution all around. I am interested in the new arena mode. I just loved the old one too haha so now I get the best of both worlds. I'll get that save file out to you today. Thanks for the proactive response.

Tomimn

Insider
To me it makes sense that you cannot keep the loot, however they should bump up the rewards give by won matches, because so far the highest one i ve ever seen was like 1g/2g, which seems like nothing when there are items worth 9g. I also think it could be fun if they implemented a sort of reward system where they give you items instead if cash, sort of like an mmorpg. Maybe certain elimination matches, you get to keep 1 item from the last enemy,if you defeat him of course.

NachoDawg

@Tomimn The prize money are fine imo. If anything, Master Pugilism pays too much.

The reason is that the moment you have a good item, you're not going to replace that item in a long time - or ever. In the end you're not going to be spending money on anything and you accumulate a ton from then on. That's atleast my experience

I'd agree with the higher rewards suggestion if there were continious things to spend them on. Like out-of-the-blue, food/medical care to let fighters heal faster between fights or even instantly before fights in the common area

Or maybe there's alternatives to getting money other than fighting. We could be able to place bets on fights? Just place a bet on a character/team and see the NPCs duke it out.

I also kind of wish there were more to "The Hub" area. Maybe outsiders hire us to fight monsters in caves and dungeons, or infiltrate a mansion to assasin a duke - and just have generaly different missions we can do. It's against what the devs have said so far but at that point we could maybe randomize the mission content/levels

Fdel

I think the devs won t like me much but whatever.
I just got the game and after asking and reading...many things doesn t make any sense, its like trying the hard solutions to fix a simple problems.

If the problem is gear, gear is already in a table tied by rank. Just make it that only equal, or lower ranked gear can enter the arena fight.
Let the player loot, so they can only loot equal gear or lower gear, this way it won t hinder the game. it wont add an artificial illogical complicating not agregating layer.
And the player will be able too keep the look of his character the way he want (why, because i am now "Adept" should i be forbidden fight with inept gear if i wish so?).
Another point agaisnt this feature is that Exanima is a prequel to a RPG, so shouldn t the player have freedom for things that won t make him exploit or make the game too easy for him?
Looting is fun and gives a feeling of achievment, it also will encourage to not loose and not forfeit, as you will loose your equipment when doing so.
Some may say that the player will get rich fast.
Adapt the item prices even to 0 if need be.
Anyway if you want to get rich fast go pugilism all the way down to being the kingpin.
And please rise the QTD of item in the shop for Inept, especially weaponry. Acquiring an inept weapon is a chore, starting with always the same weapon is good for RPG, maybe not so good for an arena. ( i know, i used the inversed argument above LOL, but i IMHO it make sense).
Since Inept stuff are the weakest, i really don t understand why so much hindrance to acquire them.

This also fix the mental harrasment that is the "rank slider" tied to the gear in the management screen, this feature is insane!!!
- its overcomplicated and unecessary,
- it kills the game pace,
- Its totally irracional and kills any ounce of realism;
- Summing it up, its a fun killer.
Just to think that when i reach a upper rank i have to deal this feature and fight the game instead of enjoying it advert me from coming back. THis feature generate a lot of attrition to the player.
I just can t imagine the hell of someone that have 4 character in assorted ranks and have to adjust gears to play a 3 vs 3 match for example.
And once the match is over the player have to fight the system, again, just to adapt the gear of the caracter he wish to fight with. Its a timesink that may spend even more time than the fight itself. (due that i ve knocked down an opponent in 2 hits (i did it, once)and have been many timed KOed or KIA in 3 chained hits.)

OT: I also have the "naked in the hall, bobs taking cold" bug. i suppose its reasonable to think it s tied to the slider in some way.

1. Gear works as is.

2. If you could loot gear, than experienced players would have full sets of armour within a few matches of starting. Which defeats the purpose of the leveling.

3. You can use same rank or lower in the corresponding rank tab in the inventory. So, yes, you can use inept gear at adept matches.

4. Exanima is Linear, Sui Generis is not.

5. All that hard earned gear, for nothing if you lose. Sounds great to me... not.

6. Set prices to 0? Then why have a shop?

7. Pugilism is a fast way to make money safely, but where's the fun in that? Also, pugilism doesn't really teach weapon fighting skills

8. I would say lower ranked weapons should be cheaper, but only very, very slightly so. Say, enough to cost the earnings of 3~ lower tier matches

9. Yes, the rank slider isn't great, but I don't think buttons are any better. Also, it's so you can choose to fight with different loadouts depending on rank, or say, you switch in between two different ranks. It's much easier to have the current system than to have unequip, or requip things.

As for the rest of your post, I don't know about.

Fdel

@Fdel just buy enough gear for all your characters, then you dont have to shuffle your gear between matches
Then sell more gear...Actually buying selling is another luck game. Especially if you want to self impose a style for..lets say, RPG reasons.

Last edited:

Fdel

1. Gear works as is.
I m not sure i was clear enought to be understood that i was only speaking for the arena and not including the story of examina. and it may have created some misunderstanding.
So let me state: My post are for the arena as it is only.

2. If you could loot gear, than experienced players would have full sets of armour within a few matches of starting. Which defeats the purpose of the leveling.
False, if you only allow him to loot his level gear or below, as suggested..He will have, yes, all the gear on his level or below...but things as they are, with ranking limitation, it would be irrelevent.

4. Exanima is Linear, Sui Generis is not.
You mean that in exanima there s no gear ranking but in sui generis there will be ?
If it ain t that, i m not smart enought to link the statement to what i ve written, could you explain "for dummies"?

All that hard earned gear, for nothing if you lose. Sounds great to me... not.
Easy come easy go?
I think that could be a gamemode then, optional.

Set prices to 0? Then why have a shop?
Selling price to 0, i think it s already like that. i tried to sell stuff and got peanuts, wait, not even that, peanuts would give me +5 health.

Pugilism is a fast way to make money safely, but where's the fun in that? Also, pugilism doesn't really teach weapon fighting skills
Got it about fighting. And may i disagree just a tiny almost irrelevent bit...it can teach a bit more about fine control it did it to me.
Since there s a shop, money buy gear, gear can be diference between life and death, i suppose there s fun for beginner at least.

9. Yes, the rank slider isn't great, but I don't think buttons are any better. Also, it's so you can choose to fight with different loadouts depending on rank, or say, you switch in between two different ranks. It's much easier to have the current system than to have unequip, or requip things.
I understand where you come from....but:
what you state is only true because you cant fight an adept fight with inept gear. I still dont get the goal of that limitation. I tried and wen t naked on the arena.
If you remove this contestable limitation. buttons (or whatever other sistem that come handy) being able to choose multiple permited ranks will be much much better than the slide. Or the slide can be adjusted to The rank choosen + inferior ranks.

8. I would say lower ranked weapons should be cheaper, but only very, very slightly so. Say, enough to cost the earnings of 3~ lower tier matches
Thats only true if you have gear to buy.
What i mean here, is the fact that there s rarely anything for inept, and the level above, even if existing.
I really don t know why beginners need such a complementary punishment as the game already have a nice positively inclined learning curve.

It may be related, and i may be wrong, to something i am detecting.
A lot of thinking for "when your master" and very few consideration about "when your beginning". Maybe asyndrome of playing a lot or/and for a very long time and fight seem obvious now. But i can guarantee its very far from obvious, and hard to learn.
If the game ain t enjoyable enought in the beginning how much people will stick? And buy your next product?
I don t suppose dev are investing tons of hours and money just for fun...or the game would be free.

Last edited:
You have to equip you lower rank items to the higher-rank loadout slot.

And as for the weapon shop rotations, I see what you mean now. I should be more "Smart" and sell items that you can actually afford.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.