Ecosystem

Komuflage

Insider
I guess the simplest version, would just be to create a lot of factions, Would being their own, and ogress being their own for instance. Each "unit" in a faction should also get a score. Let's say a wolf have 3 score and a orc 5.

4 Wolfs = 12 score, should in most cases avoid 3 orc since their score is 15. That way you wont see a little goblin mindlessly charging 3 knights.

Ofc some other mechanics should be added to keep some variety, but the above is just a very simple system.

Parco

as for other mechanics, what about adding a mechanic for social behavior; friendly, unfriendly and on-guard (1,2,3) the friendly ones doesnt mind other friendlies but will try to avoid unfriendly ones, "on-guard" ones will be friendly with other friendly ones but will be aggressive and attack/be threatening towards unfriendly beings. this should apply for individuals to individuals, not race to race, but if same race there is a big chance that unfriendly ones will be friendly towards others.

Komuflage

Insider
as for other mechanics, what about adding a mechanic for social behavior; friendly, unfriendly and on-guard (1,2,3) the friendly ones doesnt mind other friendlies but will try to avoid unfriendly ones, "on-guard" ones will be friendly with other friendly ones but will be aggressive and attack/be threatening towards unfriendly beings. this should apply to individuals to individuals, not race to race, but if same race there is a big chance that unfriendly ones will be friendly towards others.
I think something like that could work. I guess with a few very basic mechanics, the devs can create the illusion of a "ecosystem"

Stupidity

Supporter
That seems the simplest way. Just add some situational behaviors like, ambushing, opportunistic attack, determined assault and frenzied.
I'm surprised more games don't have a system like that.

Fallenhein

Would they have the regular animals or is it gonna be with a bunch of monster made up animals. That will be cool if they did that. Also the idea of having a volcano that erupts would be really cool. Maybe in a small place surrounded by a river where only a few pieces of land can be affected. Maybe they can even make a quest where you have to save the people in a town from the volcano.

Komuflage

Insider
Would they have the regular animals or is it gonna be with a bunch of monster made up animals. That will be cool if they did that. Also the idea of having a volcano that erupts would be really cool. Maybe in a small place surrounded by a river where only a few pieces of land can be affected. Maybe they can even make a quest where you have to save the people in a town from the volcano.
I dunno if we really talked about what animals will be present in the game, I would assume that "our" animals will be present: Dogs, Wolfs, Deers, Rabbits and so on. But some made up fantasy ones could be a nice addition, although I think it can be difficult to come up with a plausible animal that is not "over the top"

Fawz

Insider
I dunno if we really talked about what animals will be present in the game, I would assume that "our" animals will be present: Dogs, Wolfs, Deers, Rabbits and so on. But some made up fantasy ones could be a nice addition, although I think it can be difficult to come up with a plausible animal that is not "over the top"
The only info on Wildlife I remember hearing about was a long time ago and not too specific. So far I guess we can expect it to be a possibility but not a focus of the game.

Here's the quote about incorporating wildlife in the game (From Tony Dye, the writer, for once!)
I've talked a little with Madoc about this, because it matters in early-game quest building and it's important to the tone. Right now we're not planning on having aggressive wolfpacks in the game, because that sort of fantasy-world aggression is very much counter to their RL nature. I think the largest "normal" predator you'll encounter is a bear, and we aren't planning right now on including any big cats. Boars perhaps - they fit the setting and RL ones are surprisingly ornery in the wild.

All of this is subject to dramatic change, of course... so far I've only been involved in a couple of short brainstorming-type conversations about it.
My idea for normal animal spawns is that they have a "range" where they live, and they move through the range doing their animal business. If the area can't support their survival or becomes too dangerous, they move on to a new range. In theory, you should be able to hang around an area and run across the animals that live in it... not because you hit their spawn trigger, but because that's where they happen to be at the moment. It lets us do things like ask you to follow a herd of deer in the game if you want to kill more than one or two, rather than waiting some arbitrary time and running over the deer trigger again.

I don't know yet how feasible something like this will be in terms of programming or how it'll survive design discussions going forward, but it's what I have on my concept list right now.
I would love it if there was a nice plausible variety of animals in the world, even if there's no complex level of interaction with them. This isn't a survival type of game so you won't have to hunt for food to stay alive, and they're going for a realistic approach where you won't be attacked by a pack of wolves each time you venture in the forrest. As such I feel like other than for the sake of immersion and making the world more interesting, there isn't too much point in adding a complex wildlife system.

Komuflage

Insider
As such I feel like other than for the sake of immersion and making the world more interesting, there isn't too much point in adding a complex wildlife system.
Personally I see those two things as very important. But I understand it's not the focus of the game. But a simple faction system could work, and might not detract to much from the rest of the game development.

Omenov

Insider
I'll chime in here. I think wildlife would add life to the area whether it be birds or deer or the occasional rodent. Not that we need to hunt them but just for some movement and overall feeling. It may not add to gameplay and might be a waste of valuable resources ATM but again there are animals in the woods in RL. I go back to not being able to hunt them.... You should be able to kill them IMO. Other games with invincible creatures have always been funny feeling to me.

Tony

Insider
I'll chime in here. I think wildlife would add life to the area whether it be birds or deer or the occasional rodent. Not that we need to hunt them but just for some movement and overall feeling. It may not add to gameplay and might be a waste of valuable resources ATM but again there are animals in the woods in RL. I go back to not being able to hunt them.... You should be able to kill them IMO. Other games with invincible creatures have always been funny feeling to me.
This post gave me an idea...

When you were talking about being able to hunt wildlife what about being able to capture small animals in a cage and being able to transport them? You could have pets at your house or you could use animals for other more sadistic purposes such as testing out thaumaturgy. I like games that give me options and don't artificially restrict what I can and can't do!

Leo

Insider
This post gave me an idea...

When you were talking about being able to hunt wildlife what about being able to capture small animals in a cage and being able to transport them? You could have pets at your house or you could use animals for other more sadistic purposes such as testing out thaumaturgy. I like games that give me options and don't artificially restrict what I can and can't do!
This ties in to the idea i expressed before about being able to use traps. Not only to capture pets, but also to defeat your enemies.

Pilluminati

Insider
I tried this mod for Skyrim http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10175/?
I'm not even a person who enjoys hunting, alchemy, etc. etc. in games and I can still say the game became much better. Wolves wouldn't just attack you like retards and fight to the death. There was a weird sense of them being alive. It was almost shocking what an effect it had on the gameplay & immersion, so personally I'd love to see something like that in the game.

Leo

Insider
I tried this mod for Skyrim http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10175/?
I'm not even a person who enjoys hunting, alchemy, etc. etc. in games and I can still say the game became much better. Wolves wouldn't just attack you like retards and fight to the death. There was a weird sense of them being alive. It was almost shocking what an effect it had on the gameplay & immersion, so personally I'd love to see something like that in the game.
That is a perfect example of a great mod. This is why i have such high hopes for a modding system, so that I can work on some mods myself. In fact once the community gets used to Sui Generis a bunch of people will have ideas for mods. The good thing is that in a world where there are no main quest and all NPCs can be killed all the problems that modders usually have with essential NPCs and breaking quests will not be a barrier leaving room for plenty of modding.

Fawz

Insider
That is a perfect example of a great mod. This is why i have such high hopes for a modding system, so that I can work on some mods myself. In fact once the community gets used to Sui Generis a bunch of people will have ideas for mods. The good thing is that in a world where there are no main quest and all NPCs can be killed all the problems that modders usually have with essential NPCs and breaking quests will not be a barrier leaving room for plenty of modding.
That's a very good point. Although technical and unique (since the game doesn't use proprietary tech) the fact that the game is based on a strong sandbox world where world rules are strict it shouldn't be hard to expand on the game with the right tools. Likewise the fact that you create a new world and can drop your character in and out makes it sound pretty easy to have people make their own version of the open world and have it just be a different world you chose to take your character to.

I doubt we'll see much in the way of mod tools until after release, but the way the game is being built (Open world sandbox RPG) makes it really exciting to think of all the possible additions that can be made :D

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.