Environment Interaction - sitting on chairs/benches, lying on beds, destructible objects

Pengman19

I know some of these points have been made in the past, and by past I mean 3-4 years ago. Was curious if any advances have been made in any of these areas.

1. I personally would like the ability to sit on a chair/bench. It serves no "purpose", except world immersion. Which, IMO, is very important. "Unnecessary detail" should be the motto of games like this. Creating a believable world, with realistic parameters, allows for a more engaging and dramatic story.
  2. Sleeping, I know, most likely will not be implemented in the game. I would like to counter that it SHOULD be implemented, and simply lying on a bed, for resting purpose, should always be implemented. I think that lying on a bed for X amount of minutes should allow you to improve lost health. Not 100%, but maybe a quarter of lost health, and sleeping would allow you to heal a third of lost health. The downside is there's risk you could be robbed, attacked in your sleep, and/or wake up with someone in the room you're sleeping in. This would require barricading doors prior to sleeping, by maneuvering objects behind doors, etc.
  3. Destructible objects. This has been brought up a few times, but, immersion would be greatly increased if some object realistically broke. So this shouldn't be some overdone thing. Objects should require X amount of force to break. A pot you drop off the top shelf SHOULD shatter into pieces. But if you drop a chair from the same height, it should not. BUT if you get knocked over and fall on a chair in a hectic battle, maybe a leg breaks off. The unique and random possibilities are endless here.
Thoughts?

Baka-sama

1. I love it when games have this stuff, think The Elder Scrolls. It really does add to immersion, which is really important for games like this.
2. Sleeping or some other way to pass time is in my opinion a must for Sui Generis. Like you said it could help speed your healing, but it could also speed up experience absorption. Even in Exanima it could help pass the time for events to happen.
3. As far as I know the devs would love to do this but unless they made a fully procedural system for this (which would be hard) they would have to make the models themselves, which would be time consuming. But this probably will make it into the game eventually, as it would greatly increase immersion.

Hastur

Totally agree with you. Small details like sitting on a chair, sleeping on a bed..etc is what makes an RPG last hundreds of hours more imo. I don't know if you heard about the ultima series, but those game had this, and they were so fun i couldn't stop playing them, even when i finished the main quest i could play for hundreds of hours more simply because i could immerse myself into the game and make my own story using those details.

Seedy

Explore, fight, explore, fight, run away, run away, repeat.
"Hey, you know what would improve this game play?"
Explore, fight, sit in chair............, run away, run away, sit in chair............, repeat.

zhuliks

Insider
You enter a dark room. Small light is all that helps you make out objects there. But you are not alone here, there in the corner behind big table, sitting on a fancy chair is a dark figure.

Suddenly there is a bright light - all magic spheres on the wall spring to life, dark figure is a massive creature with rock solid massive muscles on his back, he starts laughing and slowly turns on a swivel chair. It is Sir, dark demon of 4th level. Sir is sitting on a brass swivel chair with a fail on his lap. Fael purrs with a deep voice, sir is petting it.

Sir speaks, voice sound like its coming out of a deep well, you dont want to imagine what else might come out of there:

- I've been expecting you living one. Do you see our new feature? Do you like how it looks? Sitting, a simple concept, yet so immersive. Oh dont act surprised, dont be be shy - try it for yourself, here - sit.

And you sit. It really feels immersive. You are happy, happy not just as a single person, but as a community.

Pengman19

I appreciate the tongue-in-cheek replies :)

It's easy to twist anything to sound silly or unnecessary.

But I think the point is being missed. It's not about implementing detail that necessarily serves a "real" purpose (although some of it does, like resting and/or sleeping); it's about implementing SPECIFICALLY "unnecessary" detail for the sole purpose of making the world MORE realistic, MORE believable, MORE immersive.

It's really an easy concept to understand. There may be no situation where you'd want to sit down on a chair. But, I will defer to Mr Costanza:

Elaxter

Insider
Explore, fight, sit in chair............, run away, run away, sit in chair............, repeat.
I can't tell if you're trying to bait.

Tyon

have you even read any of the previous posts

NachoDawg

Want to wait for night? You get to do it in real time like a man.
Sitting and sleeping aren't things you have to do, but things you can do. Think of skyrim.
I could imagine this game having a particular problem with just simulating time having past. What does 8 hours of passed time look like when it's all physics rendering? Are npc lifes auto-resolved? Would that really play out the same as if there were no sleeping?

DrMonocular

I don't care about sleeping and sitting, but I can tell you I'm salivating waiting for more game to play. Please don't make them take more time adding trivial stuff.

Tyon

These suggestions are obviously for when they finish core elements for the game, and the devs love to add an unprecedented amount of detail to things.

DrMonocular

These suggestions are obviously for when they finish core elements for the game, and the devs love to add an unprecedented amount of detail to things.
This doesn't change the fact that not only have the devs said sleep is out, but every time I accidentally sat down in Skyrim I had a tiny rage.

Tyon

This doesn't change the fact that not only have the devs said sleep is out, but every time I accidentally sat down in Skyrim I had a tiny rage.
They said it's not going to be in the arena mode, that's all. I doubt it will be added to Exanima, but in SG I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

NachoDawg

They said it's not going to be in the arena mode, that's all. I doubt it will be added to Exanima, but in SG I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
No I'm pretty sure it's out in general. At least the last time I read anything on it, they didn't see the point in it and it just looked like a lot of work for little gain gameplay wise. Maybe it's somewhere in the Grand List Of Dev Quotes

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.