Exanima OST Preview

Pilluminati

Insider
@Bethain Stumbled across this and immidiately thought of the dungeons of Exanima :p

Go to 2:33 -> because most of it won't make any sense to your ear unless you've listened to this style before due to the unconventional 12 beat rhythm and syncopation

Bethain

Developer
So Bethain, heard some new tracks... Sounds awesome. Don't suppose there is a YT playlist with them on it somewhere is there? :)
Not sure where or which you've heard to be honest Murf, not that I mind, it's just I suspect maybe they are tracks I did for SG or unfinished ones for Exanima. So, no, basically, sorry. O_O

Bethain

Developer
Ah yeah I see. Thanks Parco, obviously once we actually get back to making SG I'll do some more work on those and get them up to a higher standard. Who knows, maybe then I'll even be able to afford a recording studio and session musicians and a sound engineer and a full orchestra and loads of good vintage synths and mics and guitars and amps and fx pedals... and a giant boulder made of crack cocaine!!!! *looks off into the yonder wistfully*

Bethain

Developer
Oh I thought one thing was worth pointing out that I don't think I've ever mentioned before. I've listed inspirations and stuff I like before, but I was thinking recently that if I see myself as close to anyone in terms of ethos and approach to music, it would be Burial. I love his music, and I kind of feel/hope, that if he were into composing game soundtracks and doing the type of stuff I do, his style would be akin to mine. Not that we sound similar, it's just that lo-fi, unique, otherworldlyness, that we have in common. Anyway whatever, just thought that was worth adding. Also, here is some Burial, his best album IMO (if you've not listened to it before, give it 5 or 6 plays in good headphones ideally, or out of high quality monitors if that isn't possible, before you make any kind of judgements). Enjoy!

Pilluminati

Insider
Oh I thought one thing was worth pointing out that I don't think I've ever mentioned before. I've listed inspirations and stuff I like before, but I was thinking recently that if I see myself as close to anyone in terms of ethos and approach to music, it would be Burial. I love his music, and I kind of feel/hope, that if he were into composing game soundtracks and doing the type of stuff I do, his style would be akin to mine. Not that we sound similar, it's just that lo-fi, unique, otherworldlyness, that we have in common. Anyway whatever, just thought that was worth adding. Also, here is some Burial, his best album IMO (if you've not listened to it before, give it 5 or 6 plays in good headphones ideally, or out of high quality monitors if that isn't possible, before you make any kind of judgements). Enjoy!

I didn't listen to it 5-6 plays but I can definitely see what you mean by needing good headphones. Mine aren't spectacular (audio technica ath-m50) but the sounds used are quite unique and almost like a massage for your ears. Unfortunately I don't listen much to electronic music so I can't appreciate it fully although I can kind of understand why you would admire him. I'm not a big fan of the vocals but the beats are quite good and getting more tolerable ( :D ) / better the more I listen. I would however say that I get a more otherwoldly feel from your music despite because of the unique sounding melodies.

Murf

Not sure where or which you've heard to be honest Murf, not that I mind, it's just I suspect maybe they are tracks I did for SG or unfinished ones for Exanima. So, no, basically, sorry. O_O
Ahh did not know there were full tracks of the old dev videos , anyways, loved them :)

Wow, really like Burial, haven't heard something like that for a long time. Reminds me of stuff I heard in the park and Country Faire in Oregon in the early 90's :) Very cool indeed.

Faelivrin

Insider

It is true that you need few times to start appreciating it ^^

This is definitely darker and relies more on vocals, but in a way it reminds me a bit to Nathan Fake.

Tony

Insider
...it's just that lo-fi, unique, otherworldlyness, that we have in common. Anyway whatever, just thought that was worth adding.
Thanks for sharing that music, Bethain, it's pretty cool!

When you first described what approach you were trying to take with the soundtrack (in your other thread created many moons ago) it reminded of me of the artist yelworC. When he creates music he's not afraid to break the rules and it has a very free-flowing and somewhat abstract style. He uses similar techniques to what you described like throwing in an offbeat note or instrument just to mix things up and remain unpredictable.

My favorite yelworC album is Icolation and I highly recommend listening to it if you aren't turned off by music with a slightly darker ambiance. I couldn't find the entire album on Youtube (indie/underground artist and not very well-known) but here's one song from it, though one should really listen to the entire album in order to get the full effect since he's basically painting an audible picture using soundscapes:

Bethain

Developer
Thanks for sharing that music, Bethain, it's pretty cool!

When you first described what approach you were trying to take with the soundtrack (in your other thread created many moons ago) it reminded of me of the artist yelworC. When he creates music he's not afraid to break the rules and it has a very free-flowing and somewhat abstract style. He uses similar techniques to what you described like throwing in an offbeat note or instrument just to mix things up and remain unpredictable.

My favorite yelworC album is Icolation and I highly recommend listening to it if you aren't turned off by music with a slightly darker ambiance. I couldn't find the entire album on Youtube (indie/underground artist and not very well-known) but here's one song from it, though one should really listen to the entire album in order to get the full effect since he's basically painting an audible picture using soundscapes:

Cheers Tony. Nice track, very dark, love the drums and the processed vocals. I'll have a scout around for the full album.

Tony

Insider
Cheers Tony. Nice track, very dark, love the drums and the processed vocals. I'll have a scout around for the full album.
If you're actually interested in listening to the entire thing I could upload it to Youtube.

Tony

Insider
well, amazon sells it, and I found this place that has it too http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=38528&ev=mb ... but yeah, listening for free is always a plus, would be much appreciated
Alrighty, encoding now and uploading soon™. I know it will not be everyone's cup of tea so if ya don't care for it this way it'll save you some money :p. Though like you said previously, it might take a few listens on a decent pair of headphones to really appreciate it and notice the nuances.

Tony

Insider
nice one Tony, will defo give it a go in my headphones a good few times once it's up
Okay, it's uploaded but it might take a few more minutes before YT allows you to play it in HD. I also noticed that it seems to have lost a bit of quality from the original songs but it should still work to give you a general idea about it; just note that the originals are higher quality and sound more clear.

EDIT: seems to be stuck processing so I'm going to upload it again...

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.