Gaming Laptop Suggestions

Tony

Insider
In terms of size and weight, I would prefer a larger screen and more weight (15.6" is what I currently have and it is fine). In terms of other features, a webcam would be nice (but it doesn't have to be good).
Ah, after you said this I took it to mean "bigger is better". Which is usually true for a gaming laptop. Most people want as large of a screen as possible. But I can also understand wanting a smaller, lighter one if you don't have an easy way to carry it around (no carrying case or something similar - it would only fit in a larger sized backpack).

Very few low-end laptops use IPS screens. This is why I was surprised the Sony Vaio had one.

I noticed that the Asus you recommended had a 2nd generation i7 processor. What's the difference between it and the Vaio (or the Clevo)?
This is a misprint. The Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM that the Asus has is actually a 3rd generation i7 processor, according to Intel's own web site. A "generation" of processors is simply a line of processors that has certain features (usually includes a die shrink to make a smaller chip). The Sony Vaio and the Asus both have 3rd generation processors which are 22 nm.

@Pilluminati
Two questions: What was your experience with your Clevo laptop in terms of payment and shipping? Also, the laptop you recommended looks like a really good deal, and also seems to suit my needs. Why haven't I heard of this company before?

@Tony
Sorry, that was a bit misleading. Also, thanks for the clarification. :)

Pilluminati

Insider
@Pilluminati
Two questions: What was your experience with your Clevo laptop in terms of payment and shipping? Also, the laptop you recommended looks like a really good deal, and also seems to suit my needs. Why haven't I heard of this company before?
I didn't buy from that company since I live in Sweden. But when I made research about clevo resellers this company was ranked by far the highest and endorsed by tons of people. My transaction went smoothly, although I did buy from a different company so it doesn't really matter lol.

Clevo isn't a very famous company and they are mostly sold by small resellers. They are known for being highly customizable (You can even change the GPU/CPU without breaking the warranty iirc) and chances are you've seen one of them sold under a different name (Sager for example, which is the biggest Clevo reseller).

Brendan

Developer
Those Clevo/Sagers are the best bang for buck out there 'tis true, definitely a good suggestion too.

The Sony has a nicer chassis (thinner, lighter and magnesium alloy vs plastic) and a slightly better screen (IPS vs AUO, which is still a lot better than TN).

The Clevo/Sager is faster, the difference in CPU speed is negligible and extra RAM not necessary, but if you spend a bit more for the NP9150 the difference in graphics performance will be huge.

Personally, I'd take the Sony over the NP6165 with a GT 650M for ~$1000 any day, but I wouldn't have either as my only PC. In that case I'd probably spend a few $100 extra and go for the NP9150 with an upgraded graphics card, which as Pilluminati pointed out is a proper beast for the money :)

Mello

Insider
If you still need input, Alienware 14x are very good, although I'm not sure if they are necessarily best value.

I'm back, and I have more questions! :)

1. Does anybody now how the suggested laptops will perform playing common games. For instance, how would the laptop perform while playing Skyrim, Sui Generis, Fallout, etc? Alternatively, if anyone knows a good source of information on benchmarking computers, that would also be really helpful.
  2. This question might seem a bit silly, but I trust that you guys will have patience. How will these laptops perform on tasks other than playing games? General use and multitasking, browsing, word processing, etc. I don't anticipate any problems but I don't know what I'm talking about, so just being careful.
  3. This question is a bit more general. For future reference, is there a big difference between Intel and AMD processors? I know they're the two biggest names in the CPU market and many people have strong opinions about which is better, so I'm interested in what the advantages and disadvantages of both of them are.
Thanks in advance and thanks again for all the advice so far. SG forum people are the best! :)

Tony

Insider
1. I've mentioned several times that a good mobile GPU is the GTX 660M (or even better the GTX 670M). I wouldn't get anything less than this for gaming or you'll run into performance issues in graphically demanding games. Same with an Intel i7 quad core processor. All of the i7's mentioned previously would be sufficient to run games smoothly and I wouldn't go with a dual core or AMD processor. For benchmarking there are numerous sites around the web that do benchmarking, like www.guru3d.com

2. A laptop that is capable of running games smoothly will excel at doing almost any other task too. Games are some of the most demanding applications you will run on your PC/laptop.

3. Yes, there is a huge difference between Intel and AMD processors. Intel processors are currently much faster. To compensate for this AMD processors cost less. Which means AMD processors are usually used when people are trying to build a budget system.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.