Inventory handling

I can't remember if the weight of items in your inventory affects what you can carry or not. It is essentially a slot based system that is represented without slots. Meaning you have an item quantity limit. Whether you can only carry so much weight at once, I think so, but I'm not sure. Assuming there is a weight limit, I would like money to have weight, and to have to change it up in denominations. That way, it would only make sense to carry round loads of money if you were buying something and also push people to make some kind of base/ buy a home to store their money. Or maybe there will be banks in the game, who knows? Also, it would mean money bags might be a thing, which I think is just cool (little sacks that people give as rewards that are filled with cash!).

Well, the whole copper silver gold denominations was confirmed in the Items and Equipment update. But it was said that gold would rarely be used and mostly silver and gold would be used for transactions. It's whether or not it will change up automatically. Think if you have one silver and you are bordering your weight limit. If you spend one copper, you'll have, one assumes, 99 copper in weight to deal with, encumbering you.

Parco

if different coins are to be added i hope they dont magically turn into other coins when stacked. but you would keep alot of different coins instead. 1, 5 and 10 coins in bronze as an example, 20, 50 and 100 in silver and 500-1000 in gold, or something like that.

if different coins are to be added i hope they dont magically turn into other coins when stacked.
I agree with you, it would be much more fun to be able to go into a shop and ask for change. Plus, think if the weight of coins were there, you'd have to start changing up to be able to carry enough money to buy a house. Nobody would sell you a house for millions of copper coins.

cosmo bozo

Insider
Even if it has weight you probably won't have so much of it. Who would carry 20,000 coins with him ? ;D It is hard to compare it to skyrim because the economy will probably be way too different. You won't be buying tons of things all the time that are worth tens or hundreads of currency. When you get far in the game maybe you will have to find a safe spot to store your wealth, if you think that stacking crazy amounts of money is that important. ;D About the copper-silver-gold thing, seems like a good question, I guess it will be just be one type to make things easier, but who knows.

I wonder will you be able to barter with traders/people.
The combination of weightless gold and unrealistic inventory space is the the reason that the player gets ridiculously rich in every RPG ever.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Yes, but i think in SG it will not be as easy to get crazy amounts of money and what you can use the money for will mostly not require large sums, thus making your goal of stacking more and more gold to buy stuff(ingridients, weapons,armor etc)seem not good. To me having 100 gold coins sounds like being very rich. You should be able to buy things for just a few coins and a bunch of expensive things for 1-2-3 gold coins.
As i see it you won't be/have to be that concerned about currency, like in most games where one of the main things is collecting currency to spend it on upgrades and the more currency you have the more "upgrades" you can get(directly or not). As long as you have enough money to get by and maybe bribe some people here and there you should be fine. ;D Just the way the game, items and economy sounds to me, is that there will not be so many items that you will need to buy very often, especially mid game. I'm guessing most vendors will have just common things to sell. Buying a sword with 5 more damage and changing your gear every 15 minutes will not be happening, I think ;D

Money bags will be needed,no ? Like a bag that you have in your inventory to put the coins in, you will have to find/buy such a bag from somewhere of course. Things like in Arcanum where you could buy a keychain and put all your tons of keys on ;D

Yeah even if you are strong and can carry a house with you it is still a problem, it will get in your way if you wan't to fight or whatever. ;D

Thinking how you use your money and manage them well, sounds better than "farming" millions and just buying whatever, whenever.

Do we know if things will stack in the inventory on this game. Right now I think I'd like no stacking and have it so items take up a number of your slots based on size, without you seeing it of course. That way, you could have a bag with hundreds of individual coins in, that wouldn't clutter your inventory.

Stacking is an important topic besides just money management though, we know there will be consumables, not a heavy focus, but they'll exist - do they stack? Armor and weapons would be silly stacking, but what about dyes?

I personally think we should do away with stacking, for this kind of inventory, I think people should manage stacks of stuff by stacking it manually in an ordered fashion in a respective bag. Plus, if things are stacked, you couldn't have say 2 silver lying in a chest and another thirty underneath an old ruined book in the same chest - which is something Madoc has mentioned for puzzles, not looting, but it would still be cool.

Pilluminati

Insider
Coins are something I feel can be kept as "unrealistic".
I don't want to be sorting coins in my inventory.
If it breaks the immersion thinking your character is carrying 1,000 coins, you can pretend that some of the coins are worth more and that your character is carrying a purse ;)

Regarding the economy in other RPGs, I don't think that has anything to do with coins being actual objects in the game world or not.
1. The games are too easy
2. NPCs will buy pretty much anything
3. You have too few expenses

I agree with you in the economy front, Skyrim is a great example. Fine silver ware costs as much as bread, just so you can't make too much stealing. The solution, would be increase the cost of most things so the money you make stealing silverware won't cut it but it's still worth more than bread. Then you have the issue of everything being too expensive for a noob and really expensive stuff like houses being dauntingly expensive for most people. Nobody would grind 200,000 gold in skyrim for a house in solitude when they'd need to spend 30,000 on the best armour. It's really, just a balance issue with most things. Luckily, Sui Generis shouldn't suffer from it as the world is more focused on everyone else than the player. If it doesn't make sense for you it doesn't make sense for an NPC. If it doesn't make sense for an NPC, it isn't in Sui Generis.

cosmo bozo

Insider
2. NPCs will buy pretty much anything
True, shops generally only sell stuff in real life, not the other way round....
However, if you could only carry a realistic amount of stuff, then you wouldn't have all that crap for them to buy anyway.
It all turns the game into a looting simulator, as opposed to actually playing a role...

Pilluminati

Insider
True, shops generally only sell stuff in real life, not the other way round....
However, if you could only carry a realistic amount of stuff, then you wouldn't have all that crap for them to buy anyway.
It all turns the game into a looting simulator, as opposed to actually playing a role...
4. Loot. Completely ridiculous in most games.
Since we won't be killing enemies in hordes I doubt it'll become a problem. Also doubt that minions will drop something they don't actually have. For example a rat dropping full plate armour + random amount of gold like in <insert name of any ARPG>.

4. Loot. Completely ridiculous in most games.
Since we won't be killing enemies in hordes I doubt it'll become a problem. Also doubt that minions will drop something they don't actually have. For example a rat dropping full plate armour + random amount of gold like in <insert name of any ARPG>.
Well we know that's the case, already. Madoc as said that enemies will be essentially like you (humans anyway), using what equipment they carry. Everything they carry is lootable and they must pick up equipment to have it or have it at the start of the game.

Pilluminati

Insider
Well we know that's the case, already. Madoc as said that enemies will be essentially like you (humans anyway), using what equipment they carry. Everything they carry is lootable and they must pick up equipment to have it or have it at the start of the game.
I know hehe. I'm just saying that I don't think weightless gold is the source of the problem for the player becoming too rich in most RPGs.

Komuflage

Insider
"3. You have too few expenses"
This is the biggest reason why you become rich in every rpg. There are no valid Gold sinks.
It doesn't matter if gold have any weight, or how easy it is to obtain, because if you don't have any expenses then you'll be rich anyway, it's just a matter of time.

Take Skyrim as an example.
Pretty much it's useless to buy Weapon and Armour, since u'll loot better stuff anyway.
Weapon and Armour doesn't brake, so u don't have to spend money on repairing it.
Food and drink are useless so no need to buy that.
No reason to sleep, so you don't have to rent a room.

The "only" expenses u have is a house (if u use that sort of things) and horses (which u get for free anyway)

There are pretty much no continuing gold sinks in RPGs, only a few, "Pay a load of money once"
Easiest way to fix the problem is.
Food, drink and sleep being mandatory so you've to buy/rent or steal it.
Weapons and Armour should become worn quite fast (not to fast though as these are games, and if u'd to repair after every fight, it would become tedious.)
Make items that are worth buying, there shouldn't be a "Sword of awesomeness" in every cave you enter.
Common enemys should use lesser armour and weapons. While special enemys might use plate armour. (Not like in Tes were everyone walk around in glass armour after a while.)
If fast travel is included, you should have to talk to an ingame NPC and instatravel with their caravan (Skyrim had this for instant) which you would ofc have to pay for.

Parco

but still i think it would be fun playing around with single coins in you backpack, and giving them actual weight and make each coin worth alot would make trading quite interesting. what if trading was not only by giving money and you get a item, but you also could also trade items for items?
my thoughts is that when trading you drag your money/items you want to trade from your inventory window to a trading window that works the same way as a normal inventory, the object(s) you want is in a trade window located right under the other window, then you will just wait and see if the one you trade with accepts the offer.

Komuflage

Insider
Other things to ad, is blacksmiths, you need to pay them to repair, and craft weapons, and in order to craft weapons, you'll need materials, which you need to find or buy from another merchant.
Crafting weapons should also not be instant. Crafted weapons should be less expensive than buying one from a merchants. But if u ask I blacksmith to craft a Steel shortsword for me, it should take 16/24H of ingame time, before the sword is ready. That way it would still be a valid choice to buy weapons directly from a merchants.
(Time is money, and you can decide if u want to pay 100% money, or 80%money and 20% time)

Komuflage

Insider
but still i think it would be fun playing around with single coins in you backpack, and giving them actual weight and make each coin worth alot would make trading quite interesting. what if trading was not only by giving money and you get a item, but you also could also trade items for items?
my thoughts is that when trading you drag your money/items you want to trade from your inventory window to a trading window that works the same way as a normal inventory, the object(s) you want is in a trade window located right under the other window, then you will just wait and see if the one you trade with accepts the offer.
Personally I don't care if money is a physical item in the game or not, but gold coins should be worth a lot, I'm getting sick of games we're you've to pay 1.000.000Gold/$ for items, it just feel teadious. Same thing goes for games were you get 200xp each kill, and have 100.000hp...

I don't understand why so many games these days deal with such a big numbers, good old BF2, you got 2p for a kill and 1xp for assist. In today's COD/BF you get 100+xp each kill, and in the end of a round you'll get 52435xp. It just get hard to keep track of it, and it looses it's meaning. Just like in WoW were you've hundreds of thousands of Health, and 1000Gold is worth nothing. It's stupid as hell.

Anyway, to try to keep on topic, trading with items and money is possible in most singleplayer rpgs, and have been for quite a while.

About the trade window, the good old simple system would work perfectly.

To the far left is your items. To the far right is the Merchants items.
To the "middle left" is the items you've and want to trade, and their total worth"
To the "middle right" is the item(s) you want to buy from the merchant, and how much it cost.

Of topic (again) anyone else having problem Editing posts? It's been like that for a week or something not...

Parco

that around how i pictured it:p i wouldnt mind that coins are stackables but i thought i would be fun if you treated coins as objects :p i agree gold coins should be rare and valuable, but by also adding copper and silver coins would allow poor people to own some money too, but the poor would probably only own on the average around 15-20 bronze coins. getting a gold coin should be hard to get through hard work and only the richest would own them. middle class people would normally trade with copper and silver but silver would be rare(ish) to use even for them.

Of topic (again) anyone else having problem Editing posts? It's been like that for a week or something not...
i dont have that problem, but on my stationary i sometimes get a dark after image after clicking away the profile windows, and they are stuck there until i reload the page, this randomly happens.

Again, trading items is something you'd think would happen just because of the dynamic AI, maybe it would need a UI dedicated to it but if money was an object I'd imagine it would work with what normal UI would look like. I'm imagining just what was shown above, but with what the inventory looks like currently but the to part (which normally has your equipped stuff) as the trading bit.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.