Inventory handling

tiny lampe

Insider
Other things to ad, is blacksmiths, you need to pay them to repair, and craft weapons, and in order to craft weapons, you'll need materials, which you need to find or buy from another merchant.
Crafting weapons should also not be instant. Crafted weapons should be less expensive than buying one from a merchants. But if u ask I blacksmith to craft a Steel shortsword for me, it should take 16/24H of ingame time, before the sword is ready. That way it would still be a valid choice to buy weapons directly from a merchants.
(Time is money, and you can decide if u want to pay 100% money, or 80%money and 20% time)
This distinction between (weapon) merchants and blacksmiths feels a bit strange to me. I mean, sure, today we have middlemen that buy from manufacturers and sell to consumers but, would that be true in a medievel setting? I would expect most merchants selling weapons to be blacksmiths in the first place. If they are not, where did they get the weapons from?

One option is that they stole them or took them from the corpses left by a recent battle. In those cases, I'd expect those weapons to be cheaper than those provided by a blacksmith, both because they would be used weapons and because the seller could probably be in a hurry to get rid of them.

The other option is that the merchant is indeed selling the equipment crafted by another blacksmith, although that would only make sense if such blacksmith is from another village that uses a different crafting style that is not available anywhere in town. Here paying a premium could make sense if the weapons are of higher quality than those sold by locals.

As for commisioning a weapon vs. buying an existing one, another consideration besides time it takes to make it is customization. Indeed, if you commision a weapon, maybe you can be very specific regarding certain features like how much it weights, how long the blade is, what kind of grip it uses...certain requests may require more skill than others and more time in order to be fulffilled. I would say price should be in accordance to that and could indeed surpass the amount a merchant would ask you for an existing weapon.

BrecMadak

Insider
Of topic (again) anyone else having problem Editing posts? It's been like that for a week or something not...
Yes, I'm having this as well, and I notified Brendan already, but he seems to be so busy lately since it had been about a week or so that he couldn't answer me yet.

Komuflage

Insider
This distinction between (weapon) merchants and blacksmiths feels a bit strange to me. I mean, sure, today we have middlemen that buy from manufacturers and sell to consumers but, would that be true in a medievel setting? I would expect most merchants selling weapons to be blacksmiths in the first place. If they are not, where did they get the weapons from?
Haven't really thought of that.
Well I would have guessed that maybe there won't be blacksmiths in every small village, only bigger towns/castles. And merchants buy the weapons from blacksmiths and transport them with their caravans to smaller villages.

But on second thoughts that wouldn't make much sense. Why would I buy and expensive item in a populated place, just to transport it to a less populated place, and try sell it there.

So I guess you're right :)
I like the idea of customized weapons. Could be quite cool to have a unique weapon, and I'd imagine that, if you can customize them to some extend, and they'd be expensive to craft, you would form some kind of bond with it. Something I really miss from Demon's souls.

Bibidibop

Insider
The other option is that the merchant is indeed selling the equipment crafted by another blacksmith, although that would only make sense if such blacksmith is from another village that uses a different crafting style that is not available anywhere in town. Here paying a premium could make sense if the weapons are of higher quality than those sold by locals.
There was this particular Viking blacksmith who was so fine only the wealthiest could possibly afford one his swords. Other blacksmiths would make inferior knockoffs of his work. Those are the kinds of weapon a merchant would buy and try to sell far away from the blacksmith's home town.

To that end, there could be four types of weapons: scavenged, which would be bought from shady merchants and would be of random quality, and could possibly lead into missions; local black smith goods, which could range from a local blacksmith used to making farm implements, to a castle's mass produced arms; and finally, like you mentioned, there could be the custom goods, but those would be nice if they range in quality and cost depending on the blacksmith.

Not sure if this question should go in this thread, but it was the closest one I could find. :p

How will hotkeys work in SG?

Assuming they are included in some form, will they be the industry standard 1-9,0 equips a previously selected item? Or will they be fixed? Will you be able to access more possible hotkeys by using modifiers (ctrl, alt)? Maybe the gear you can carry will be so limited by carry-weight that they will be unnecessary? Will you only be able to bind items to keys? Or will you be able to use them to activate open dialogue options (e.g. "Throw down your arms and I will spare your life")? Follower commands ("Don't forget to loot their bodies")? And others?

So, how are the devs planning this? And what features would you (the community) like to see included in a hotkey system?

I was thinking something similar recently but it was to do with dialog and I didn't want to make a thread on something we know so little about. I hadn't considered it for items though.

It might be nice if you could make macros to interact with UIs. Not for combat or anything like that, but dialog and equipment etc. This could be overpowered depending on how much certain features will be UI based.

Thaumaturgy will likely have no hard limit so there's probably a need for hot-keys for that. Changing between powers on the fly will probably need to happen often.

Maybe if the hotkeys 1-9,0 worked s normal, but you have to hold a modifier to determine between a command, dialogue, spells and equipment.

Komuflage

Insider
Not sure if this question should go in this thread, but it was the closest one I could find. :p

How will hotkeys work in SG?

Assuming they are included in some form, will they be the industry standard 1-9,0 equips a previously selected item? Or will they be fixed? Will you be able to access more possible hotkeys by using modifiers (ctrl, alt)? Maybe the gear you can carry will be so limited by carry-weight that they will be unnecessary? Will you only be able to bind items to keys? Or will you be able to use them to activate open dialogue options (e.g. "Throw down your arms and I will spare your life")? Follower commands ("Don't forget to loot their bodies")? And others?

So, how are the devs planning this? And what features would you (the community) like to see included in a hotkey system?
If we're able to command (to dome degree) our followers, A commo rose would be much appreciated.

Simply holding down a Key and dragging the mouse towards the command, and then left clicking.

It's easy and very fast once you get a hang of it.

Now I don't know how many followers you can have, nor how much of tactic/strategy BM want to have.

But what would be nice is that, we could chose which follower we want to give an order to by pressing 1-3, then we could hold the CR (Commo Rose) button and click the desired command to Initiate a order.
The default (Middle Circle) would be Move/Attack/Interact, depending on what you're hovering the mouse over. So you could easily, hold the mouse over an enemy, press 1-3 and LMB click, which would give the selected followers a Attack command.
Looking at the ground would be a move command, and a door would be a interact command.

This way, you could have it fluid enough to not break action, but you could still give your followers advanced orders if you so chose.

Last edited:
If we're able to command (to some degree) our followers, A commo rose would be much appreciated.

Simply holding down a Key and dragging the mouse towards the command, and then left clicking.

It's easy and very fast once you get a hang of it.
I've always though that sort of thing is better suited to a gamepad/controller. If this was put in in conjunction with some kind of keyboard press, it would be great. Without a key press, there may be situations were using this would be awkward. Also, remember that the game won't be paused at all, it's entirely real-time (excluding, actually pausing the game of course).

Komuflage

Insider
I've always though that sort of thing is better suited to a gamepad/controller. If this was put in in conjunction with some kind of keyboard press, it would be great. Without a key press, there may be situations were using this would be awkward. Also, remember that the game won't be paused at all, it's entirely real-time (excluding, actually pausing the game of course).
The fact that the game doesn't pause is the exact reason why a commo rose is so great.

In BF2, if you spotted an enemy, you just press Q + LMB really fast.
Needed ammo? Q + Down right LMB.

I totally understand why you think it fits better for consoles, but it worked amazing in BF2, also like I said, once you get a hang of it, you can shout commands extremely fast. Much more so than pressing: y - 2 - 5 - 3. As it works in Arma 3

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.