Item Durability and Repair

I agree with pretty much everything you said there, Madoc. Although, I think it's difficult to try and describe the ideas that we have just generally without being specific to Sui Generis. I was largely arguing about games in general on the front that "tedious" tasks contribute to gameplay as something not fun in themselves, in the same way death isn't fun. And that the optimisation of groups of these tasks and the avoidance of them can be fun (think the Sims).

I personally never find such elements fun, and I know you guys don't, and I certainly don't think that that's how Sui Generis should handle any of the proposed game mechanics. I'd much prefer to have each mechanic interesting in it's own right. Going back to my whole meaningful choice is fun argument, a better and more fleshed out system means even more meaning behind any choice and is therefore more fun.

Ideally, I'd like to see a hugely dynamic item damage/repair system in the game, but balanced in a way that you never have to even consider it. Weapons would break outright so rarely that you wouldn't even bother carrying a spare around. And the effects of damage to equipment would be really rather small. The system that was being thrown around early on this thread would be ideal for me, but it would require a silly amount of work for very little pay off.

I guess it really comes down to the ethos of the game, which you have identified and I think most of us are aware of. But sometimes we exhaust the discussion of what we think would be good in this game and start talking about games in general.

Komuflage

Insider
I can't think of much fiction I've become immersed in (whether books, games, films) because of things like characters releaving themselves. Yeah, people eat and defecate, with some frequency, but the fact in itself is not very interesting. I fail to see how constant repetition of these tasks could effectively contribute to any kind of story or role.
Now again, I understand why just eating and sleeping is not often included in games, but, clicking a repair button or buying things from a merchant is just as "boring" as walking, then why not remove the need to walk from dungeon to dungeon? (I understand this won't be a full dungeon crawler, just using it as an example)
For me, repetition of some "boring" chores can ad to the overall experience of the game, as well as add a lot of extra hours.

Combat can definitely be fun in itself but it is also interesting because of its consequences, danger and the driving you to improve your character and so much more besides, it's central to gameplay in most games because that really works. Where's the challenge in having to click a repair button? Where's the fun if you just have to do it again and again rather than for some specific purpose?
But there would be a specific purpose to repair a weapon, it would also be completely optional.
If you have a fine crafter sword, it might be more difficult and more expensive to replace it, than repair it, however if you think it's to boring to repair it, you can just toss it away and find another one.

it's fun if you want to do it.
I see your point here.
But this brings me back to the GW2 example, What I enjoyed most was dungeons, and it was possible to skip pretty much everything else than just dungeons if you so chose, but the game felt extremely shallow, and there weren't really much immersion.
Many MMOs include mounts, as a compromise to "boring" walking, and "shallow" teleporting.
With mounts, you can travel fast enough for the trip to not feel tedious, but u still get to experience the world, and see the beautiful landscapes the dev have created.

Our general intention is for every interaction to be meaningful and deliberate. It should be obvious by now that we definitely don't want a game where everything is as convenient as possible. You will be doing things that out of context might seem tedious but you'll always be doing them for different reasons and because you've chosen to.
But does everything have to have a deep meaning to it?
Kinda gets me thinking about these picture.

"You will be doing things that out of context might seem tedious but you'll always be doing them for different reasons and because you've chosen to."
Wouldn't for instance, repairing be just that?

We carefully analyse and try to capture those rare elements of games that we actually enjoy, the why we enjoy them.
This in itself seems great, but if "everything" is super epic (in need of better words) wouldn't it become standard and unmemorable?

I'm thinking a game that have greats bossfights, but if the whole game was just these amazing boss fights, wouldn't they become somewhat unmemorable?

I'm going to use one last example to try "prove" my point. But before that I want to say that; yes I understand what you're saying, I guess we just have different opinions about this.

Now for the example: I currently own 2 cars. 1 Winter/trash car I'll be using over the next 5-6 months, and 1 summer/nice car that I'll be using in the spring and summer.
This particular car is a old Japanese sports car, originally built only for the WRC, and due to the nature of WRC, this car was build with traction and acceleration in mind.
And Mitsubishi really managed to create a great car, with great acceleration and amazing traction.

Now I spend a lot of time in my garage and driveway working on my cars, and this is, in itself extremely boring and tedious.
Late summer I took the whole drivetrain down - Transmission, Transfer box, Differentials and so on.
And it's not especially fun, lying under a car, unscrewing a transfer box, which pour oil all over you face, and then while lying on you back, lifting it down to your chest (this weights around 50KG) and then trying to get out of underneath the car.
Then lifting down the gearbox, also extremely oily, and repairing whatever needs to be repaired.

It's a ton of work. But it's part of owning an old sports car.

Now the best thing about the car is just it's great acceleration and traction, so the funniest thing to do is, just before a tight corner, you shift down to third gear and stomp on that "acceleration pedal", (dunno the name) managing the corner in quite some high speed.
But if the whole experience of owning one of these cars would just be going high speed in corners, it would kinda loss it's purpose.

Just think of your profession (Ofc I dunno about it, so this is just speculations) I can imagine that, a lot of what you do is pure hell, you've probably cursed a few times over that stupid bug you can't squash, just like I curse about that freaking screw that wont get loose.
And over the course of making a game, I think there are moments of satisfaction in overcoming some parts, cursing and getting angry about others and so on.
But in the end, when the game is finished, you'll remember the whole experience, the good parts and the bad parts, and most likely be very satisfied over what you've done.

This is (imo) the same for games, not everything should be a walk in the park, there should be parts were you get frustrated, there should be parts that's annoying or boring, because it will help you remember those amazing moments after you've overcome a challenge.

Now like I said, I understand that our opinions might differ on the matter.
And I won't try to convince anyone to think like I do. I just wanted to show my side of the coin.

ZaratanCho

Insider
I don't think he meant "every interaction to be meaningful and deliberate" in the way you take it.
And i am pretty sure it won't be a walk in the park. ;D

I understand your concerns and view and agree to a certain extent.

Overcoming something hard and all, is clear(though the 'joy'[or not] it brings can be of many different reasons depending on the individual psych). It is clear that not everything will be "super epic", because this can't be the case in a proper game. And all this epicness, frustration, boredom etc and their causes can't be generalized(what can) because it depends on the individual(of course there will be some majority,probably, but this shouldn't dictate anything).

I think most of what you are 'concerned about won't be the case in SG. Things will become clearer in the near future.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't think he meant "every interaction to be meaningful and deliberate" in the way you take it.
And i am pretty sure it won't be a walk in the park. ;D

I understand your concerns and view and agree to a certain extent.

Overcoming something hard and all, is clear(though the 'joy'[or not] it brings can be of many different reasons depending on the individual psych). It is clear that not everything will be "super epic", because this can't be the case in a proper game. And all this epicness, frustration, boredom etc and their causes can't be generalized(what can) because it depends on the individual(of course there will be some majority,probably, but this shouldn't dictate anything).

I think most of what you are 'concerned about won't be the case in SG. Things will become clearer in the near future.
I understand that not everything will be extremely meaningful or a walk in the park, nor that everything will be "super epic" I was exaggerating and generalizing in order to be able to speak my mind, without having to put: Imo, in general etc in each sentence.

I also know that I can't say what will and what wont work for SG, since I've not played it yet.

I still think SG will be quite a deep and memorable experience, and I'm very sure there will be a lot of challenges to overcome.

Just like I'm, not sure about that void pocket power yet, but I haven't seen it in action yet, so I don't know, I can't really do much more than to speak from speculations.

Madoc

Project Lead
@Komuflage, now you're definitely misunderstanding me. In no way at all am I saying that everything you do should be epic and grandiose. I am literally saying it shouldn't be repetitive, mandatory and amount to clicking on the same button. Getting something repaired would be totally fine itself, say if you do it once or twice and as part of some specific event or story, not 100-200 times just because the computer says you have to and by clicking on said button.

I always say that my favourite part of an RPG is the very beggining when you're a nobody and the little things matter (though games today are often epic in scope from the very start). While there are definitely some more remarkable elements to the world we don't want these to be the norm, a lot of the time we want you to experience the more mundane and subtle aspects of it.

Again, in no way am I saying that something should be easy and convenient. That would go against everything we've said. You choose to do maintenance on your sports car and of course you ultimately enjoy it and find it rewarding. That's very different from when something is being forced on you and doesn't pay off in any way.

I think in essence we agree about what we want, we're just not on the same page yet when it comes to how that should be achieved.

Komuflage

Insider
@Komuflage, now you're definitely misunderstanding me. In no way at all am I saying that everything you do should be epic and grandiose. I am literally saying it shouldn't be repetitive, mandatory and amount to clicking on the same button. Getting something repaired would be totally fine itself, say if you do it once or twice and as part of some specific event or story, not 100-200 times just because the computer says you have to and by clicking on said button.

I always say that my favourite part of an RPG is the very beggining when you're a nobody and the little things matter (though games today are often epic in scope from the very start). While there are definitely some more remarkable elements to the world we don't want these to be the norm, a lot of the time we want you to experience the more mundane and subtle aspects of it.

Again, in no way am I saying that something should be easy and convenient. That would go against everything we've said. You choose to do maintenance on your sports car and of course you ultimately enjoy it and find it rewarding. That's very different from when something is being forced on you and doesn't pay off in any way.

I think in essence we agree about what we want, we're just not on the same page yet when it comes to how that should be achieved.
I understand that the game ain't supposed to be easy, you've stated quite a few time that there will be some real challenge in the game. And the picture I've had since I first saw the pitch videos is that this will be a more hardcore game than what we're used to.

But when I read about these things that are supposed to be convenient, I just get "casual" in my head.

Maybe it's because older games that actually were challenging, (compared to today's crap) didn't give you any help at all.
In Fallout you were thrown out in the world, with the task of getting a water chip. And you only had 150days to find it, and if you didn't manage to find it within those days (Which is quite a few hours of gametime) then to bad, game over, restart.

"Getting something repaired would be totally fine itself, say if you do it once or twice and as part of some specific event or story, not 100-200 times just because the computer says you have to and by clicking on said button."

But like I said, repairing would be optional, if some1 prefer to just toss their damaged sword away and find a new one, fine.

I would just like if there is something that "force" you out of the action.
Oblivion had it's sleep system, where after you levelled up, you had to sleep in order to actually get the stats boosts. This meant that every once in a while, you had to take a break, go to a town or settlement, rent a room and sleep. For me this was a good mechanic, since it didn't feel repetitive (Since the time between each time you had to go sleep, was quite long)

Now, there might be no good point in me trying to discuss this, because I've not played the game.
So like you said, we're not on the same page yet.

Tony

Insider
I think perhaps what I said was misunderstood. However I disagree that these things contribute anything unless they are evolved far beyond clicking on a button. You should choose to travel somewhere because there's a meaningful interaction to be conducted there, not be forced to do it regularly.

I can't think of much fiction I've become immersed in (whether books, games, films) because of things like characters releaving themselves. Yeah, people eat and defecate, with some frequency, but the fact in itself is not very interesting. Characters may be eating as part of setting a scene but something else is going on, not the eating itself. I fail to see how constant repetition of these tasks could effectively contribute to any kind of story or role. What we have taken into serious consideration is food affecting your physique, that's kind of interesting. Eating because you have to seems pointless and tedious unless it drives content or presents a significant and relevant challenge. These seem like difficult things to pull off without significantly changing the scope and direction of the game. Procuring your next meal is not what we have in mind as the difficult challenge your character must overcome.

Combat can definitely be fun in itself but it is also interesting because of its consequences, danger and the driving you to improve your character and so much more besides, it's central to gameplay in most games because that really works. Where's the challenge in having to click a repair button? Where's the fun if you just have to do it again and again rather than for some specific purpose? Ideally even combat should be optional.

We have a lot of ideas about what's fun and what isn't and different members of the team have different ideas, but the core one that we all share is that it's fun if you want to do it. Is solving a puzzle fun? If you have to in order to get further, then no. If you decide to do it because you think it might give you an edge, then yes. It's also actually rewarding that way.

This all needs to be put into the proper context too. Our general intention is for every interaction to be meaningful and deliberate. It should be obvious by now that we definitely don't want a game where everything is as convenient as possible. You will be doing things that out of context might seem tedious but you'll always be doing them for different reasons and because you've chosen to.

We think we've done a pretty good job of identifying what would actually make a game fun for us. We're extremely critical of games and generally very dissatisfied with them. We carefully analyse and try to capture those rare elements of games that we actually enjoy, the why we enjoy them. Throwing features in and generally copying stuff for the only reason that other (successful) games do it is definitely not part of our process. There's a lot of subtle conditions to making something fun that are not evident.
Excellent post!!! This philosophy mirrors my own view(s) regarding gaming. If a mechanic cannot be implemented in a way that is fun or enjoyable then it should not be implemented at all.

I think many developers add tedious or boring/repetitive mechanics in games as time-sinks. Or they simply can not (or did not) spend the time figuring out a fun way to implement a mechanic. I play games as a form of entertainment. I do not want playing a game to feel like a second job. The fact that the Bare Mettle team recognizes this flaw with games bodes well for Sui Generis :)

Reactions: Rob

Madoc

Project Lead
This is dragging on a bit now. I don't see how this has anything to do with "casual" or how that can be what you take home from anything we say. By what standards exactly? "Older games" where you could save and load without limitations and hence never take any real risk? Sorry but I really don't see it. We've also already said that this game can have a very unhappy ending quite explicitly.

There's nothing optional about your stuff regularly breaking through no fault of your own and having to then do one of two things about it. There needs to be more to it before it can be considered something that isn't just being forced on you and ultimately pointless and unrewarding. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying it needs to be a whole lot better than just that to find its way into this game.

The sleep mechanic in Oblivion kind of makes sense and has a rewarding side to it. It doesn't leave you weaponless mid fight, possibly get you killed or force you rush off immediately so that something simplistic and unrealistic can then allow you to go back to what you were doing. And what if you simply can't get to a blacksmith?

Also, this is not an "action RPG" where you need to be forced to take a break from grinding, where does that come from?

You seem to insist on taking what I'm saying out of it's proper context. Some things are done well and some aren't. I don't know what you think it is I'm objecting to but it is in fact very specific: this feature as it's done in <insert game name here> just sucks. If we could arrive at an actual complete and fleshed out way to do it that doesn't suck that's great but insisting that it should be added even when it sucks isn't going anywhere.

Rob

This is dragging on a bit now. I don't see how this has anything to do with "casual" or how that can be what you take home from anything we say. By what standards exactly? "Older games" where you could save and load without limitations and hence never take any real risk? Sorry but I really don't see it. We've also already said that this game can have a very unhappy ending quite explicitly.

There's nothing optional about your stuff regularly breaking through no fault of your own and having to then do one of two things about it. There needs to be more to it before it can be considered something that isn't just being forced on you and ultimately pointless and unrewarding. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying it needs to be a whole lot better than just that to find its way into this game.

The sleep mechanic in Oblivion kind of makes sense and has a rewarding side to it. It doesn't leave you weaponless mid fight, possibly get you killed or force you rush off immediately so that something simplistic and unrealistic can then allow you to go back to what you were doing. And what if you simply can't get to a blacksmith?

Also, this is not an "action RPG" where you need to be forced to take a break from grinding, where does that come from?

You seem to insist on taking what I'm saying out of it's proper context. Some things are done well and some aren't. I don't know what you think it is I'm objecting to but it is in fact very specific: this feature as it's done in <insert game name here> just sucks. If we could arrive at an actual complete and fleshed out way to do it that doesn't suck that's great but insisting that it should be added even when it sucks isn't going anywhere.
So basically, people should stop trying to reinforce their arguments as to why a particular feature/mechanic should be implemented - if the devs have decided it's not getting implemented (because it's too rubbish or mindlessly repetitive in the form implemented in <insert game name>) then there's no point dwelling on it and arguing further!

However, it would be much more constructive for people to try and be innovative and suggest new mechanics, or new takes on mechanics, that would better fit with BMs mantra - vocalizing your thoughts and ideas is great! But importantly, don't get upset or offended when the ideas get rejected - that's just a natural part of design & development process!!!

BrecMadak

Insider
Well, actually I've proposed some ideas for durability and partially repair principle, and would like to know if not feasible or just ignored totally ?
Durability degeration and breaking chance may progressively be increasing due to;

1. How many times it got repaired before (or if any buff ever exists that would also be counted)
  2. How fragile that item is or crude & its mass weight
  3. Durability loss happens according to the style a weapon is used (f.e thrusting attacks would degenerate durability faster compared to slashing)
  4. Durability loss happens accordingly the difference of material used and the target
  5. Durability loss happens accordingly the difference of size between target and weapon.
So are none of these interesting enough to give a shot for ?

Scarecrow

Insider
Personally i don't quite see why this should be something to be spending development time on. In the end it's not an interesting and fun mechanic, and as i said before in the thread somewhere, it forces you out of whatever you are doing which might just ruin the fun you are currently having. It just drags you right out of your adventuring. Imagine if you are in the middle of something important, something you are trying to prevent from happening or something, then suddenly your weapon breaks and you have to run to a smith to fix it. Chances are that what you were trying to prevent, is now too late for you to fix. Just because your weapon broke. I don't see this as fun. And yes, you might argue that "Its your own fault for not being prepared", but if you constantly have to maintain your weapon it just becomes really tedious.

Also imagine the larger creatures in this game. If you defend yourself from a blow of an Ogre with your little sword, it would most likely just break instantly. Where is the fun in that? It wouldn't make sense at all if you just lost a little bit of "durability points".

I can understand that people want it, but personally i think that the time would be better spent on other things.

Komuflage

Insider
There's nothing optional about your stuff regularly breaking through no fault of your own and having to then do one of two things about it.

No one is suggesting that weapon should break often, through no fault of your own.

We've already talked about a "dynamic" system for in which case it might work, and be more fleshed out.

Anyways, you're right, this is getting to dragged out. So I guess I'll leave it as that for the time being. Since there is probably no point in discussing it before I can get a proper understanding on how the game works.

Madoc

Project Lead
After Ivk's post "Bare Mettle, what's useful to discuss" I thought I would try to use you as a source of workable ideas. I joined this thread to promote discussion and steer it in the right direction, not shoot it down! Designing a complete and functional system takes a lot more than throwing a few ideas around however. It's my job to find and point out potential problems with something before we dive into it. I made an effort to explain why these issues are important to us. I'm asking real questions here, not rhetorical ones. Just because I don't have an answer doesn't mean there isn't one. We've discussed a few interesting item damage related mechanics ourselves but we failed to come up with anything complete and problem free. Certainly you'd have to make an effort to understand our design philosophy and work with it, it's very real to us and we're not going to suddenly abandon it.

If there is a real intention from the community to bring something to the table and have meaningful discussions with us then we shouldn't post impulsively but work to understand what other posters are saying and use it in a constructive manner.

Hmm. It seems to me that it's the repairing of items that is the problem. It's somewhat unrealistic and has been established to be a bad mechanic if it's forced on the player. Damage to items in an dynamic way, on the other hand, is still a great idea imo. Repairing could be featured if it never really affected all that much (I.e. weapons/armour never breaks, so you're never forced to do it, but it loses a small fraction of it's effectiveness). So I guess it's not so much repairing and more maintenance.

I'm also still liking the dynamic deformation of equipment. I like the idea that a sword would become completely unique after a while with chips and slight dents/bends in the metal. It would change the collisions for one and dynamically change the weapons stats to make it feel more unique. Obviously this would take a long time to happen and the effect would be rather small on the over all performance.

I also like the idea of sharpening and greasing mentioned earlier but I'm struggling to think of anything in the same vein. Madoc is right in the fact that you'd need more similar mechanics for it to work. All I have so far is (also mentioned earlier) re-stringing bows/crossbows after a while and having the option to reuse arrow heads on different shafts at a black smith in case one breaks.

What about replacing weapon grips? I don't know how much a worn grip would affect combat ability, maybe it would reduce the control of the weapon (i.e. it gives a little when parrying (As a side note, will gauntlets affect this and boots affect footing etc?)) or maybe it means you're more likely to be disarmed.

Actually, the perfect way to execute this kind of system would be no indication that the problem was there. The player would have to examine the item (manually, look at model, or by text) to see if there was an issue or notice it in combat.

Armour is slightly more difficult. All the ideas I have for anything but plate armour would require actual repairs. I'll say them anyway. For metal armours, obviously you could just hammer out dents. But what would the affect of a dent be? Protects less effectively, makes easier to pierce. Which brings me to another issue. Without piercing, the game would feel unrealistic with the depth of the rest of this system. But with it, armour would need to repaired much more often and the effects of pierced armour would be too large to ignore (at least I assume they would). You could "repair" pierces quite easily though by primitive welding as mentioned earlier which would mean the player would often feel it silly not to repair (making them feel forced to do it) which we've established to be bad.

For anything other than plate though, you have interesting possibilities. Replacing torn straps is completely feasible. Armours could be repaired in a more modular way in this sense. The only issue being that you'd have to somehow ensure that it never fell off (or would you? Depends on whether or not you could pick it up again (i.e. would it just become an item like a bucket or table)).

This is all I have for now. Hope this is in the right kind of direction for this sort of mechanic.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I appreciate that your trying to make more of an effort on the forums. Not all devs would do it.

Last edited:

Komuflage

Insider
I'll cut it short to save space.
This comment is extremely of topic, so I put it inside a spoiler, so that it wont take up to much space.
I do appreciate that you come here to the forum section and join in the discussion, not many devs would do that.
I also understand that you want to steer the discussion to fit the design philosophy, but it's also very difficult to understand it as someone who ain't directly within the development process, hence I can only base my ideas and speculations from things I read on the forum.

I just felt like you were missing some of my points, and from reading your comments I guess I missed some of yours. However I also fell like we agree on some aspects, but ofc disagree on others, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think this game will be a walk in the park, you made that clear very early on. But I guess that when I read something that leans toward the more "walk in the park" experience I might get a bit concerned.
However I do understand that you don't want to ad a mechanic, just for the sake of the mechanic being there, rather you want it to be somewhat meaningful. And that's a good thing.
I just guess that personally I rather have a "half-baked" system, than non at all.
To me, gold sinks and time sink, even if they might be boring will be "for the greater good"

I'm dragging this out again...

Anyways, I guess I just want to say, that ty for joining into the discussion, I hope you've not taken anything offensive, and not got to frustrated reading my comments :rolleyes:

tiny lampe

Insider
What about weapon degradation as a result of misusing the weapon as opposed to simply using it?

For example: you are trying to hit an opponent but he dodges it and you hit a wall instead. Weapon degredation occurs. Or: you use a delicate weapon (that is very good for slashing) against metallic armor. Here too, weapon degredation occurs.

As I understand from Madoc's post, weapon degradation is tedius and boring when it's unavoidable. Therefore we have to think of ways to make it avoidable. To be interesting, such ways must no be chance-based but something the player can control and become better at (ex: the player can indeed learn to fight more carefully in enclosed spaces so that he doesn't hit walls very often). Another key issue is that the risk of misusing the weapon should sometimes be worth-taking. For example: if you are fighting an opponent wearing a metallic cuirass and helmet, a slashing weapon can still be the best choice provided that you can hit the opponent's limbs. It's risky because if you fail and hit metal instead, then your weapon is punished. But if you are confident in your skill then you might be willing to take that risk. In my opinion, that kind of situation -a risk vs. reward choice- would make weapon degradation interesting enough.

Last edited:
What about weapon degradation as a result of misusing the weapon as opposed to simply using it?

For example: you are trying to hit an opponent but he dodges it and you hit a wall instead. Weapon degredation occurs. Or: you use a delicate weapon (that is very good for slashing) against metallic armor. Here too, weapon degredation occurs.

As I understand from Madoc's post, weapon degradation is tedius and boring when it's unavoidable. Therefore we have to think of ways to make it avoidable. To be interesting, such ways must no be chance-based but something the player can control and become better at (ex: the player can indeed learn to fight more carefully in enclosed spaces so that he doesn't hit walls very often). Another key issue is that the risk of misusing the weapon should sometimes be worth-taking. For example: if you are fighting an opponent wearing a metallic cuirass and helmet, a slashing weapon can still be the best choice provided that you can hit the opponent's limbs. It's risky because if you fail and hit metal instead, then your weapon is punished. But if you are confident in your skill then you might be willing to take that risk. In my opinion, that kind of situation -a risk vs. reward choice- would make weapon degradation interesting enough.
I like this idea. Although, on it's own, I don't think it's quite enough. Because you'd still have the annoyance of the need to repair the weapon after a while. However, coupled with some of the other ideas, such as the weapon never outright breaking, this could be a very simple and viable solution.

Madoc

Project Lead
Indeed repairing as a global mechanic that applies to everything seems difficult to get right. Perhaps though if enough individual mechanics could be indetified something interesting could be done. I'm still personally not keen on items breaking completely and leaving you weaponless or resulting in the permanent loss of the item (consider also objects that cannot be repaired by modern artisans). Armour looking battle worn is something that we would definitely like to have, so is upgrading items and we've also often considered that most shields should deteriorate meaningfully though that's a tricky one. After all this isn't an action game where you respawn with new gear after each battle. A lengthy excursion into the underwold or other uncivilised area for example could become problematic if essential gear starts to break.

Deforming and chipping items sounds like something very difficult to do properly. Changing the grip on a weapon is another interesting idea and would work with the modular weapon system we still plan on introducing. The idea that doing something stupid with your weapon might damage it is also interesting.

There have been some good suggestions but some issues remain. To summarise, here's what I've got so far (I might have missed something important, it's a long thread):
  • Bladed weapons can be blunted, whetstones can be used to sharpen them
  • Bows can be restrung, spare strings could be carried
  • Weapon grips can be replaced
  • Plate armour can be dented, the dents hammered out
  • Plate armour can be "welded" (don't see this fully restoring it though)

To this I could add:
  • Some shields could be broken, though probably not entirely
  • Chainmail should be repairable by replacing links
  • Perhaps items of a certain quality cannot be damaged?

Emergent mechanics:
  • Upgrading weapon grips and bow strings
  • Finding items in a worn / broken state that can be restored
  • Utility items for repairing gear
  • A more convincing and interesting item repair system

There are still a number of items however that don't work so well with damage inflicted in combat. Various types of leather or cloth armour can't be effectively repaired, a wooden shaft could suddenly snap and leave you weaponless, blunt weapons would presumably not suffer any noticeable damage.

The armour and wooden shafts seem like serious enough issues to bring us back to square one. They are catastrophic or can't really be repaired. You either make items unreliable and disposable (this is realistic but could be a very serious pain) or you ignore most item damage (and avoid raising questions) while only introducing some specific but ultimately different mechanics.

I particularly like the idea that you might for example find an old weapon that has deteriorated and you can restore it to its former glory, or that you can improve an item through some of the same mechanics. You could at that point work under the assumption that items just don't deteriorate noticeably or suddenly break during the time that you use them. Blunted edges, snapped/missing bow strings, rotten/broken shafts and grips all potentially work.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.