Kingdom Come - Deliverance

Empire²

Insider
Update #2: Kickstarter Success!

Warhorse Studios has taken Kingdom Come: Deliverance, their historically realistic, first-person open world Medieval RPG to Kickstarter. Their unfruitful search for a publisher for their game has resulted in their private investor wanting to gauge the interest in the game before continuing his financial support.

Update:

After only 36 hours on Kickstarter, Warhorse have reached their goal of £300,000! With 27 days left on their Kickstarter, they will now commence adding stretch goals, the first of which will be announced very soon!

Kickstarter

With their switch to Kickstarter comes a new trailer and a load more information about the game, the most important of which is summarized and listed below!

Kickstarter Video:

The kickstarter video consists of the trailer (can be found separately here) and some developer insight into the general picture of the game.

Prominent features, as noted on Kickstarter:

• Non-linear story lets you choose between being a villain or a savior. Every quest can be solved in multiple ways.

• A revolutionary combat system based on inverse kinematics, the only one of its kind to offer a rich, authentic yet easy-to-control, first-person melee experience. Based on actual 15th century fighting techniques and designed in cooperation with medieval martial arts experts.
  • Improve your character. Different play styles - warrior, rogue or bard - can be mixed and matched as you see fit. You can develop your skills, earn new perks, and fine-tune your equipment.
  • Large realistic, medieval-themed, open world landscape covering 3.5 square miles and 30 hours of gameplay (in first act, out of 3 total).
  • Lead the charge in enormous, open field battles and sieges. You are no superhero. If you’re going to take on an army of enemies, you better find one of your own to back you up.
  • Take a trip through the Middle Ages: Traverse sprawling cities, magnificent castles, towering, dark forests, and muck-strewn villages.
  • Discover this huge world from horseback or on foot. If you can see it, you can visit it.
  • A dynamic world comes alive. Every inhabitant plays a role in their communities, and as night follows day, you can watch people work, help them when needed, or try to interfere in their routine and see what happens.
  • Build relationships with characters, become a criminal or a local hero, seduce local women, threaten your enemies or pardon vanquished opponents.
  • Create your own weapons, cook, brew up potions, or dig around for silver. All crafting occurs in-game, using clever mini-games, rather than boring, soulless menus.
That's the most prominent features of the game in a nutshell, although I strongly recommend you visit the Kickstarter page, where they go into a lot more detail about a lot of the features.

The game will be divided into 3 acts. One may assume these run with a single story, however you wish for it to play out. The first Act will feature 30+ hours of gameplay, and the second and third about 70+ combined.

Warhorse Studios consists of a group of experienced, talented and well-known developers from teams that brought you Mafia II, ArmA, Forza Horizon, Operation Flashpoint and Crysis 3.

As of now, they're getting ever closer to reaching their kickstarter goal, thus allowing further development of the game. Should you want to know more about the game, you can find more information on their website:
http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

If you feel as excited for this game as I do, I hope you'll ferociously throw money at them on Kickstarter!

Last edited:

Empire²

Insider
Yes, their website does suggest they were very unfortunate in finding an interested publisher. It's a strange feat though, considering the success of "recent" games like Dead Island, Chivalry and The Elder Scrolls, which are all first-person games done in a similar style to what Warhorse is going for. Adding the Medieval European theme and the premise of "No Fantasy Allowed" is definitely something that I feel can only add to the enjoyment.

I think they need to make clear to the public and any publisher though that fictionalised history is not considered fantasy. Coming up with battles, sieges and events is something I would allow in the game, because it's an action RPG. If entirely based off of historical events, you would have a big battle or siege followed by a year of nothing but silence and peace. Medieval wars were fought on a much smaller scale than what we now relate the term "war" to. This makes wars effectively shorter, and every turn of events a lot more influential on the world and its inhabitants.

What I am interested to see, speaking of the stage of Medieval Europe and fictionalised history, is the locations you'll be visiting. Giant fortified cities like Carcassonne or secluded castles like Hohenwerfen and Edinburgh are perfect locations for these battles, yet very far apart.

In Ryse: Son Of Rome, a historical action-adventure game for the Xbox One, you visit every landmark with any significance to that period. With the help of the gods, you are always the lone survivor of barbarian ambushes or absolute massacres, taking you to completely fictionalised versions of historically important locations such as the shores of Britannia and York. I am not completely okay with changing history in such a way that barbarians have built complete citadels in places they didn't have much more than wooden huts.

Europe was the stage for a lot of interesting wars, such as the Wars of the Roses or the Wars of Scottish Independence, not to mention the Crusades, but I honestly wouldn't mind leading a conquest that was ripped out of the history books by those who were on the other side of it. The wars the English fought against the Scots, the French and the Muslims are far apart geographically, but I'm sure there's a way to weave a story into history without ruining the essence of the game.

BrecMadak

Insider
Yes, this project is quite an ambitious one in fps genre, and yet it could quite easily surpass M&B if all those goals are succeeded, dev co are from Mafia 2 so it adds an edge as well, donations are falling like rain.

I think Kingdom Come sets its place 2nd right after Sui Generis in my upcoming game list. (head to head with DS 2 though)

What makes me curious most is how they gonna handle dialogue branches since its also one out of many SG's feature as well.

@Empire² better to update your post since there new video released with ks campaign...

Komuflage

Insider
Need to eat and drink :D
I would like to back this, but could some1 answer this for me?
I had a hard time understanding everything he said. But from what I understood, the game was going to be released in 2 versions. Act I and Act II (Something like SG prelude?)
So is Act I more of a "demo" like SG Prelude. Or will Act I be the game and Act II an expansion? Or some other way?

Basically I need to pay 125£ to get act II which is just to expensive for me right now.
I would like to donate 30£ as that gives me Alpha + Physical box + Game, which is what I'm most interested in, but if I'm only going to receive a part of the game, I rather w8 for the full release as I'm short on money atm.

Pilluminati

Insider
Need to eat and drink :D
I would like to back this, but could some1 answer this for me?
I had a hard time understanding everything he said. But from what I understood, the game was going to be released in 2 versions. Act I and Act II (Something like SG prelude?)
So is Act I more of a "demo" like SG Prelude. Or will Act I be the game and Act II an expansion? Or some other way?

Basically I need to pay 125£ to get act II which is just to expensive for me right now.
I would like to donate 30£ as that gives me Alpha + Physical box + Game, which is what I'm most interested in, but if I'm only going to receive a part of the game, I rather w8 for the full release as I'm short on money atm.
From the FAQ:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Act I, as it is planned, is a full scale, stand-alone game. It has 30+ hours of gameplay, complete open world map, all quests and closed story line. Most (if not all) game mechanics described above will be included: horse riding, combat, castle sieges, there will be at least one large-scale battle. Acts II & III extend the story, add new environment in separate maps, new quests, gear and weapons. They will also add new quests to the map of Act I. It will be possible to travel between maps of all Acts, some quests will require you to visit all of them.

We definitely intend to make Acts II & III and release them as soon as possible. However, our funding and schedule does not reach past first Act. We will finalize our plans for the release of Acts II & III when we get closer to the release date of Act I. For these reasons we don’t want to offer and promise them as a Kickstarter reward in their own right. We want to use them as a token of our gratitude to higher tiers backers, but you should think about it more like 100% discount offer than a guaranteed reward.

Empire²

Insider
Will update the post tonight, need to digest the information and pick out some of the more interesting bits for a short summary here!

Tessaya

Insider
Seems really interesting (especially the actual gameplay shown), I just find it a pity they didn't go for the dollar based kickstarter, would've given it much more exposure (I'm in no way the majority, but I didn't back it yet as £kickstarter ask me to log when the $ one just send me on amazon payment).

Komuflage

Insider
From the FAQ:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Act I, as it is planned, is a full scale, stand-alone game. It has 30+ hours of gameplay, complete open world map, all quests and closed story line. Most (if not all) game mechanics described above will be included: horse riding, combat, castle sieges, there will be at least one large-scale battle. Acts II & III extend the story, add new environment in separate maps, new quests, gear and weapons. They will also add new quests to the map of Act I. It will be possible to travel between maps of all Acts, some quests will require you to visit all of them.

We definitely intend to make Acts II & III and release them as soon as possible. However, our funding and schedule does not reach past first Act. We will finalize our plans for the release of Acts II & III when we get closer to the release date of Act I. For these reasons we don’t want to offer and promise them as a Kickstarter reward in their own right. We want to use them as a token of our gratitude to higher tiers backers, but you should think about it more like 100% discount offer than a guaranteed reward.
I wonder why I didn't read that, I usually try to read before I post :oops:

Nontheless, to me that sounds more like expansions (Adds more quests and items)

1 more thing, the game is supposed to be 9sq km. Isn't that very very small?
According to the Interwebz Skyrim is about 37sq km, and I thought that was quite small.
The map Stratis from Arma 3 is 20sq km which also seem like a quite small map.

Tessaya

Insider
I wonder why I didn't read that, I usually try to read before I post :oops:

Nontheless, to me that sounds more like expansions (Adds more quests and items)

1 more thing, the game is supposed to be 9sq km. Isn't that very very small?
According to the Interwebz Skyrim is about 37sq km, and I thought that was quite small.
The map Stratis from Arma 3 is 20sq km which also seem like a quite small map.
My guess would be, if they want to keep it realistic, you'd have 1 major city (capital level) then smaller villages in its wherebouts. I'm no historical expert but I think most of the Old World countries were forest until not that long ago.

666jet

Insider
Seems very cool just not sure of I'm willing to to pay that much for beta/alpha think I'll just wait it out and I'm not really sure about cryengine 3 because of mechwarrior online they had some major problems with the engine and well had to get rid of half there stuff they planned also the company did a complete 180 and went into money grabbing mode and ruined the game rip mechwarrior :(

Pilluminati

Insider
Seems very cool just not sure of I'm willing to to pay that much for beta/alpha think I'll just wait it out and I'm not really sure about cryengine 3 because of mechwarrior online they had some major problems with the engine and well had to get rid of half there stuff they planned also the company did a complete 180 and went into money grabbing mode and ruined the game rip mechwarrior :(
They've modified the engine iirc. Star citizen and countless other games are also made with Cryengine so I'm not entirely convinced that it's the only problem in the mechwarrior case ;).

Tessaya

Insider
If I recall right, Mechwarrior problems were more about the networking aspect of the game (which isn't used here as it is single player), then for those who have fear about the small map -> loading -> small map, thanks to star citizen the cryengine now supports seamless transition between maps.

Even if it's in a medieval setting, kingdom come is still a fps, the genre the cryengine was built to do best.

Komuflage

Insider
Here's a map size comparison, it's not that small actually.

Maybe my maths skillz are very bad, but Oblivions map is 16sq miles. The playable size seems to be ~67% or 2/3, so about 10sq miles of playable area, Kingdom come is supposed to be 3.5square miles.
So about the size of the smallest map on the picture.

I dunno if you added Kingdoms come map to this or someone else, but the Kingdom comes map is in KM while Oblivions is in Miles.
So while Kingdom comes map seems to be 3/4 as wide as oblivion, in reality it's only ~1/2.
And since it's in square, Kingdom come will only be about 1/4 of oblivions map (keep in mind that only ~67% of oblivions map is accessible.) So it's more like: Kingdom come is about 1/3 of oblivion in size. which is really really tiny :p

This is a more accurate map: Which seems to be ~50% of oblivion, and not 33%. (playable area)
Looking at oblivions map, in this scale, it's only 3,2miles high, and not 4. So either oblivion is smaller than 16sq miles, or the map is not to scale.

If we change oblivion to the scale that the figures tell us, this is the result

Last edited:

Pilluminati

Insider
Maybe my maths skillz are very bad, but Oblivions map is 16sq miles. The playable size seems to be ~67% or 2/3, so about 10sq miles of playable area, Kingdom come is supposed to be 3.5square miles.
So about the size of the smallest map on the picture.

I dunno if you added Kingdoms come map to this or someone else, but the Kingdom comes map is in KM while Oblivions is in Miles.
So while Kingdom comes map seems to be 3/4 as wide as oblivion, in reality it's only ~1/2.
And since it's in square, Kingdom come will only be about 1/4 of oblivions map (keep in mind that only ~67% of oblivions map is accessible.) So it's more like: Kingdom come is about 1/3 of oblivion in size. which is really really tiny :p
This picture is from their own blog, did they get confused with the units or what?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.