New weapons suggestions and ideas thread

Bullethead

Why limit the creative aspects of the game's culture and technology to what we know and are familiar with?
Because if you don't have pretty narrow limits on what's generally available, then you don't have a believable game world. Instead, you have what I call "Walmart World".

Every culture that's ever existed has, for whatever reason, chosen a small subset of the nearly infinite number of possible ways to deal with the common issues and challenges facing humanity as a whole. The choice of these detail things is, in fact, what defines a culture, both archaeologically and in its own time. So a culture has a distinctive assemblage of items, clothing and architectural style, etc., which essentially every contemporary person in the cultural area either owns or sees every day. At some distance away, there will be another culture that has a different set of distinctive items. And the less mobile the population, the less mixing of these items there will be.

Thus, to have an identifiable, believable, meaningful culture in a game world, three has to be fairly restrictive limits on what's available in shops. If the entire range of goods from all across the planet, throughout all time, is readily available, then you don't have a culture.

Because if you don't have pretty narrow limits on what's generally available, then you don't have a believable game world. Instead, you have what I call "Walmart World".

Every culture that's ever existed has, for whatever reason, chosen a small subset of the nearly infinite number of possible ways to deal with the common issues and challenges facing humanity as a whole. The choice of these detail things is, in fact, what defines a culture, both archaeologically and in its own time. So a culture has a distinctive assemblage of items, clothing and architectural style, etc., which essentially every contemporary person in the cultural area either owns or sees every day. At some distance away, there will be another culture that has a different set of distinctive items. And the less mobile the population, the less mixing of these items there will be.

Thus, to have an identifiable, believable, meaningful culture in a game world, three has to be fairly restrictive limits on what's available in shops. If the entire range of goods from all across the planet, throughout all time, is readily available, then you don't have a culture.
Whoever said that the world of Sui Generis is just one kingdom, one country and one landscape? Seems boring then, no? Perhaps cultures are separated by only a mountainous desert. The world is not Earth as we live on.
Exanima is one world, and one culture seen. Sui Generis is something big

-Tim-

Insider
I agree that there should be limits and adding tasteless and unfitting items should be avoided in order to shape a distinguishable identity and culture. I fully trust Bare Mettle in these decisions. What I do hope is that the uniqueness of this fictional world is fully exploited, and I see no reason to limit ourselves to the European Middle Ages, even though it may provide a good starting point. An example would be thaumaturgy-infused weapons that would be mostly useless to non-thaumaturges. Or weapons specifically designed to traverse the vast and dark underworld (with a built-in ‘lamp’ for example, hence the helmet), or to combat ogres, or the native flying beasts that are unique to the island.

Iscandar

Why would he have a scimitar?
For fun. Having a whole variety of "foreign" equipment would be silly unless there were a completely fleshed out culture that has immediate dealings in the world. It's okay to make combinations that aren't 100% historically accurate, because this is still a fantasy world after all. I'd be fine with combining cultural characteristics if they melded together well enough aesthetically. They just need to look right and feel right. If I'm going to make a few examples, the expert arena boss has more gaps in his armor than even the normal plate armor knights, yet his armor is somehow more protective. Why? Because it looks cool. Because it looks cooler, it must be better. The Redguards of Elder Scrolls are also a mixture of African and Middle Eastern cultures, but it works well enough that I believe it. That's the logic.

Nynuc

Insider
I agree that there should be limits and adding tasteless and unfitting items should be avoided in order to shape a distinguishable identity and culture. I fully trust Bare Mettle in these decisions. What I do hope is that the uniqueness of this fictional world is fully exploited, and I see no reason to limit ourselves to the European Middle Ages, even though it may provide a good starting point. An example would be thaumaturgy-infused weapons that would be mostly useless to non-thaumaturges. Or weapons specifically designed to traverse the vast and dark underworld (with a built-in ‘lamp’ for example, hence the helmet), or to combat ogres, or the native flying beasts that are unique to the island.
As cool as that would be, I hope there's no real solution to combat ogres. I hope they're just menacing creatures that can rip even the best players to shreds easily.

not impossible to kill, but extremely difficult.

For fun. Having a whole variety of "foreign" equipment would be silly unless there were a completely fleshed out culture that has immediate dealings in the world. It's okay to make combinations that aren't 100% historically accurate, because this is still a fantasy world after all. I'd be fine with combining cultural characteristics if they melded together well enough aesthetically. They just need to look right and feel right. If I'm going to make a few examples, the expert arena boss has more gaps in his armor than even the normal plate armor knights, yet his armor is somehow more protective. Why? Because it looks cool. Because it looks cooler, it must be better. The Redguards of Elder Scrolls are also a mixture of African and Middle Eastern cultures, but it works well enough that I believe it. That's the logic.
Parts of Africa are part of the Middle East

Bullethead

Whoever said that the world of Sui Generis is just one kingdom, one country and one landscape? Seems boring then, no? Perhaps cultures are separated by only a mountainous desert. The world is not Earth as we live on.
Exanima is one world, and one culture seen. Sui Generis is something big
IIRC, the devs said SG will be 1 big city and a number of surrounding towns. At least to start with. This to me makes it "1 kingdom" (or at least a duchy), so I would expect a pretty monolithic culture.

Also, cultures frequently cross national boundaries, at least if there are no major geographical barriers between them (oceans, deserts, etc.). Neighboring kingdoms can share the same overall culture, although some of the nuances of the latest fashion trends might be somewhat different. So you might have to go a very long way before you found another culturally distinct area.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.