os support (linux)

borartr

Insider
ok i may be able to access a windows system somewhere in the next days, but i dont know if its worth the effort. probably ill wait a bit first if someone like Pilluminati manages it only through wine.

Pilluminati

Insider
Guess I'll look into it, perhaps later today. I haven't tried it with the self-extracting archive yet, only by moving the installed files with a usb stick from windows to linux.

666jet

Insider
Might give it a look as well just need some storage space hopefully I have a spare HDD laying around

Edit: amd driver didn't install 32bit opengl fml

Last edited:

666jet

Insider
just got it working in Ubuntu 14.04 at very choppy framerate but working probally just need to install the amd drivers

Last edited:

borartr

Insider
hi nice to have other people trying it too. as i mentioned i never got to the point of starting the game because i got stuck at the installation. which is independent of your graphics vendor (if have intel btw, but very new one), so i ask myself how you managed this specifically. seems to have been no problem for you, would be nice if you can explain installation/extraction more in detail.

666jet

Insider
In Ubuntu:
1. Open a terminal (xterm, or anything, probably just called terminal in Ubuntu)
2. Type this into the terminal: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
3. Type your root (admin) password and Press ENTER then sudo apt-get update
4. If you are on a 64-bit system type this into the terminal:
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 libopenal1:i386 mpg123:i386
4. Else if you are on a 32-bit system type this into the terminal:
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 libopenal1 mpg123

5. You might have to install libpulse as well, in that case this might work, not completely sure as I'm not on Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install lib32-libpulse
in one of the incider threads from a while ago he explained what packages are needed

Pilluminati

Insider
Seems to run fine. Just run the self-extracting archive with wine, then go to the path you installed it in and run Exanima.exe with wine.
It doesn't look quite right though. I don't know if this is because of the intel drivers. Haven't managed to get my nvidia card working because of Optimus, but it worked fine on AMD last time I tested it.

borartr

Insider
hi now i a got it also with your instruction n how to install wine properly. i get similar error though.
i am able to start the game an it seems the functionality is there (i got injured by the first arena boss), but the lights are not working (except for torches, but except them everything is black). also the character model (which is the only thing i got to see besides) are very glitchy. so not yet usable, but nice to see it run atleast.

Brendan

Developer
hi now i a got it also with your instruction n how to install wine properly. i get similar error though.
i am able to start the game an it seems the functionality is there (i got injured by the first arena boss), but the lights are not working (except for torches, but except them everything is black). also the character model (which is the only thing i got to see besides) are very glitchy. so not yet usable, but nice to see it run atleast.
Cool, progress! Do you know what graphics card you have? Sounds like something is off with the OpenGL driver..

Brendan

Developer
Seems to run fine. Just run the self-extracting archive with wine, then go to the path you installed it in and run Exanima.exe with wine.
It doesn't look quite right though. I don't know if this is because of the intel drivers. Haven't managed to get my nvidia card working because of Optimus, but it worked fine on AMD last time I tested it.
This bumblee thing looks a project to help get the Nvidia card working with Optimus: http://bumblebee-project.org/ might be worth a look if you're interested..

borartr

Insider
hi on my laptop, which i currently use, i have just an intel hd4400 (which should be capable of opengl 3.3 atleast). i dont know which version of opengl you require (would be nice to know). intel drivers should have been installed by default afaik, but ill look for some more advanced ones this evening maybe.

Pilluminati

Insider
hi on my laptop, which i currently use, i have just an intel hd4400 (which should be capable of opengl 3.3 atleast). i dont know which version of opengl you require (would be nice to know). intel drivers should have been installed by default afaik, but ill look for some more advanced ones this evening maybe.
I would guess it's the drivers bad GL implementation. I tried to run the game on my integrated gpu on windows which worked fine apart from the Baremettle logo appearing red in the beginning (same problem on linux).

borartr

Insider
what would you suggest me to do then specifically? i will probably search for better ones, but if you already know id gladly take your advise.

Pilluminati

Insider
what would you suggest me to do then specifically? i will probably search for better ones, but if you already know id gladly take your advise.
Not much you can do I think. Either wait for Intel to fix their drivers or Baremettle to make some workaround for intel cards...

Madoc

Project Lead
That sounds exactly like an abysmal OpenGL driver. You can probably get around the blackness by adding LinearRGB = 0 to the game's ini file, and say welcome back to the 90s.

These kind of issues I'm afraid would not at all be ameliorated by the game being native on Linux. WINE will take care of the windows stuff but everything else is essentially native and down to the system.

@Pilluminati Intel drivers are a pain even on windows but I expected better from nVidia.

Pilluminati

Insider
That sounds exactly like an abysmal OpenGL driver. You can probably get around the blackness by adding LinearRGB = 0 to the game's ini file, and say welcome back to the 90s.

These kind of issues I'm afraid would not at all be ameliorated by the game being native on Linux. WINE will take care of the windows stuff but everything else is essentially native and down to the system.

@Pilluminati Intel drivers are a pain even on windows but I expected better from nVidia.
In the screenshot I was using intel because I haven't managed to get the nvidia drivers working but I'll give it a try at some point and report back here.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.