Put in a saving function ASAP

NachoDawg

Every time I see "there should be permadeath" comment, I just wonder how people don't respect their lifetime. It's a great game, but there are other games and whole real life. How many people will start the game again if they lose 10 hours? Not many. There shouldn't be manual save/load, but permadeath is stupid idea too.

Permadeath being stupid depends on how long the game is and what kind of experience they try to deliver. Beating on permadeath for being permadeath is ridiculous. We're talking about Exanima here, and no good exanima player currently spends 10 hours beating the game, so dont say that.

I agree that save/laod doesnt work in Sui Generis as an open world game, but currently as a tiny tech demo, Exanima doesnt fit it either. As an expanded game then sure, i bet exanima will benefit from a save/load'esque thing. My point is that we dont know what Exanima is going to shape up to be, so lets not draw definite conclusions on what is going to fit.

No amazingly good reason to insist on hammering in functions from SG, nor concluding that particular amgibious save/load is the best thing either. Wait and see. If the save/load in Exanima is bad for the total experience or if they come up with something better later then we'll see it. Its still in development.

Nomad

Put in a standard and Iron mode and everyone can have fun. Whose who want to bragg can say they beat it on Ironman. If the game is hard, it's stupid to try to beat a full game in one go. Repaying 999 time to get that 1 perfect runthrough. But then I never liked arcade games.
Options is the key. And checkpoints or save stations are the best options IMO.

Nomad

Permadeath being stupid depends on how long the game is and what kind of experience they try to deliver. Beating on permadeath for being permadeath is ridiculous. We're talking about Exanima here, and no good exanima player currently spends 10 hours beating the game, so dont say that.

I agree that save/laod doesnt work in Sui Generis as an open world game, but currently as a tiny tech demo, Exanima doesnt fit it either. As an expanded game then sure, i bet exanima will benefit from a save/load'esque thing. My point is that we dont know what Exanima is going to shape up to be, so lets not draw definite conclusions on what is going to fit.

No amazingly good reason to insist on hammering in functions from SG, nor concluding that particular amgibious save/load is the best thing either. Wait and see. If the save/load in Exanima is bad for the total experience or if they come up with something better later then we'll see it. Its still in development.
I agree. It's still very early. I think most of us agree on it to not being easy. I know I don't want it to be easy. I really like the hard combat, but I don't think all the fun is sucked out of it if I have to replay large portions over and over, because of a hard area.

NachoDawg

Put in a standard and Iron mode and everyone can have fun. Whose who want to bragg can say they beat it on Ironman. If the game is hard, it's stupid to try to beat a full game in one go. Repaying 999 time to get that 1 perfect runthrough. But then I never liked arcade games.
Options is the key. And checkpoints or save stations are the best options IMO.

Where's the line between a game being too hard and a player being too bad? I don't feel there's a cosmic rule saying all games has to be accesible to everyone. Just saying things out loud here :)

Nomad

Where's the line between a game being too hard and a player being too bad? I don't feel there's a cosmic rule saying all games has to be accesible to everyone. Just saying things out loud here :)
I don't think you got my meaning

NachoDawg

I understand you're saying that a hard game is not fun for everyone? "option is key" and has already been talked about in this thread and you haven't inserted anything new into the discussion except reasserting what other's have already said, so that's why i'm not addressing that from your comment.

Nomad

I understand you're saying that a hard game is not fun for everyone? "option is key" and has already been talked about in this thread and you haven't inserted anything new into the discussion except reasserting what other's have already said, so that's why i'm not addressing that from your comment.
No. Im saying we want a hard game. It's refreshing. There is no fun in easy combat and pushover enemies. Im not really answering you, because I have already written this a few times.

Elaxter

Insider
See, I actually like dying. It doesn't bother me in this game. I had fun and I don't feel as if I wasted time. Half the fun for me is getting killed in terrible ways. Reminds me of Dwarf Fortress. The name of the game is death, and in Dwarf Fortress, both fortress and adventure mode, you will die. And it's usually bloody and anti-climatic. I like that in games.

Every time I see "there should be permadeath" comment, I just wonder how people don't respect their lifetime.
The fuck? Now I know who not to listen to.

J.G. Elmslie

Insider
See, I actually like dying. It doesn't bother me in this game.
I dont mind dying.

What I mind, is dying, and it going all the way back to the start, and having to do the same damn thing all over again. Pick up the torch, go through the door, turn right, etc etc etc.

That is not fun. that becomes an exercise in repetition, and tedium. Checkpoints at the end of the level certainly help. But lets say you take 2 hours, slowly creeping through the entire place, (not fighting, because you think the combat's a trainwreck), exploring ever place, checking each chest and trunk, etc etc...

And then right at the end, last door, a zombie that automatically attacks spots you, runs up. and you die.

If that's "fun" then you have a strange idea of it. I certainly enjoy something being tough to complete, taking thought and effort. I enjoy it being difficult. What I do not enjoy is watching hours of gameplay like that get wasted, for nothing. I have more important stuff to do with my life than that. (Same reason I no longer play Eve Online. the risk is fun, but I dont have the time for it in my life.)

Elaxter

Insider
Well there's your problem: you think the combat system is a train wreck. It's a little incomplete, but it's far from a train wreck.

What gets me killed is overconfidence. The last time I died was in a dark hallway after the first locked door. I panicked and tried to run out in the light so I could use a two-hander. I died because I thought I was awesome enough to run full speed down a dark hallway of stuff.

You should just leave.

Elaxter

Insider
Well, you do believe the game's combat engine, the main selling point of Exanima, is a train wreck. You don't have to leave unless you really want to torture yourself with the game's obviously crappy combat system.

Nomad

I dont mind dying.

What I mind, is dying, and it going all the way back to the start, and having to do the same damn thing all over again. Pick up the torch, go through the door, turn right, etc etc etc.

That is not fun. that becomes an exercise in repetition, and tedium. Checkpoints at the end of the level certainly help. But lets say you take 2 hours, slowly creeping through the entire place, (not fighting, because you think the combat's a trainwreck), exploring ever place, checking each chest and trunk, etc etc...

And then right at the end, last door, a zombie that automatically attacks spots you, runs up. and you die.

If that's "fun" then you have a strange idea of it. I certainly enjoy something being tough to complete, taking thought and effort. I enjoy it being difficult. What I do not enjoy is watching hours of gameplay like that get wasted, for nothing. I have more important stuff to do with my life than that. (Same reason I no longer play Eve Online. the risk is fun, but I dont have the time for it in my life.)
I agree. The game is fun because the combat is hard and IMO really great, but replaying large portins over nad over again is a killer [of the fun].
I like to take my time, but I found that after replaying a few times I stopped even caring about immersion untill I was "back" to the point I died. And I always felt like I was playing some other character, because I didn't find and do the same things as before. It felt like reincarnation - and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Elaxter

Insider
Well, you guys got your checkpoint system you've been crying for.

Quit acting like babies about it. Oooh, playing a video game is so taxing on my soul! Don't sit there and play multiple attempts in one sitting and expect everything to be dandy. I myself spread out my attempts by a couple of days and I have yet to feel what you're feeling. Why is that?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.