Things I do to make life easier..... (list udated 11 JUN 15)

Guy

I wanted to put some of the tips I have figured out (I assume I am not the only one on these) and wanted to put it in one place to help those who are newer to this than I. I am not good at this game yet, but I have picked up a few things.

1) (mentioned before) I try to think of combat WASD keys as forward-back, and shield-sword. I even say it out loud when I am in arena and often in combat in the dungeon. This helps my whole left/right confusion when not behind the character in a fight, so I am not having to really concentrate on movement as much anymore and I can focus more on timing and defense.

2) When I get the bill, or to a lesser extent other weapons, and I have an encounter I struggle with, I will stack a bunch of chairs if readily available in front of the doorway or hall or what have you and fight over the the top. The enemy usually trips up or at least struggles and the polearm takes them out handily. I find this as the life saving if cowardly approach when dealing with the axes (I struggle against those and the sickle-on-a-steek the most it seems) or multiple opponents. Often a few waves of my equipped weapon bring them running into my mess. It does need to be set just past where the door swings of course.

3) When fighting in the dark, I seem to get more light if I set the torch on the edge of a box, table, etc where possible. The fire head must be off the support in the open to give the most benefit. Setting it unlit end down in a bucket should work as well, I haven't experimented with that yet, but I intend to tonight.

4) Some weapons are better up close in contact than others. I usually use the sword and shield combo usually, and carry a polearm for my leetle friendly traps, but if you are in contact (touching distance) with the bad guys, a cleaver works wonders sometimes. If they have polearms they can't get a swing while you are inside their arc, but you have a much greater chance of landing a telling hit. Conversely, those weapons can tear you a new one quickly in the beginning it seems, so beware. Sometimes the little ones hurt the most.

5) Doorways can be your friend if you are on the right side of them. The bad guys once again can't always make a good swing, but you can dart in an out while they are struggling. Just don't let the situation flip on you.

6) Watching others play live or on youtube helped me understand movement in combat and timing better than any other one thing other than the shield/sword side thing. Make use of those vids to see how others do it when you are frustrated or trying to figure it out.

7) From OddSpierce, below.

Also, another thing I've found to be helpful (once you've practiced 99999 times....) is ducking. Move in whilst attacking, duck halfway through, and even if you miss once they counterstrike it SHOULD pass over your head. Some weapons seem to hit you anyways due to their larger hurting pieces. Plus, nothing looks sweeter than passing through your opponent's guard and getting the kill.
8) I assigned the combat button to "F", the camera follow to "R" and the crouch to space bar. The space bar tip came from Sir NAB (Sir NotABot), and the rest fell into place after I thought about key assignments/mapping.

Pro-tip: assign crouch to the space bar and use it liberally to smack his leg under the shield. Careful with the timing though as you will fall on your face if you do it wrong.
Reasons. I don't hit "tab" naturally, but "F" is a single finger move to strike, and I don't have to look or blindly search for it when I need it. Took me almost no time to learn this button. Same reasons for "R", since I wanted to bind the space bar to couch as @Sir NotABot @OddSpierce (and @Moppy) was talking about. Don't use center camera as much as I did when I started, and an east button like space bar felt wasted for that task.

9) To be added as I think of more or find other things that seem to help. Feel free to add your own tips, please.

Last edited:

Sir NotABot

1) The enemy gate is down. Okay, not helpful, but it had to be said.

2) Way to use the environment!

3) This. If you're in the dark and want to fight with a decent weapon and shield, or 2-hander, just drop the torch on the ground and try to stay close to it during the fight.

4) Keep an eye out for sharp cleavers. Even better.

5) Gotta be careful though. Sometimes their weapons come springing out of the doorway when you least expect them. That's why I've mostly given up on this tactic.

6) I may or may not have been drunk when I made this:

7) If you like sword & board, make a very short character and use the barrel lid. Good luck hitting me now, deadites! Conversely, make an extremely tall character for 2-handed weapons. Just make sure you keep out of range. Don't engage anything until you have some decent armor. You want to get good at combat and manuevering? Screw the arena: play the campaign and engage every zombie, in multiples if you can.

Guy

1) Always. Read that book in Jr. High or High school for the first time. Too bad about the movie being a fail in every way.

3) I do drop when I have to, but there is much better light with the torch up. Also, the basket trick does work, I just tried it. Only issue is that when I picked up the basket the torch fell right through. I hope we can set stuff on fire in the game. That is a lot of wicker and wood to just leave laying around when it is dark.

4) Found a sharp cleaver. Nice. Kept it. Now I want a sharp sword.

5) Has happened to me too, but the fail is usually mine. Helps me live against two opponents sometimes though.

6) LOL. I can't drink anymore past a single beer from time to time (liver transplant, PSC), but my character is obviously a drunkard. Often and lots seems to be his motto.

7) Have been waiting to experiment till I have reached the end. But yeah, a short fat man is high on my want to try list.

OddSpierce

1) Good luck hitting me now, deadites!
I found Bruce Campbell, guys! Now we can get on with filming the Evil Dead TV series!

Also, another thing I've found to be helpful (once you've practiced 99999 times....) is ducking. Move in whilst attacking, duck halfway through, and even if you miss once they counterstrike it SHOULD pass over your head. Some weapons seem to hit you anyways due to their larger hurting pieces. Plus, nothing looks sweeter than passing through your opponent's guard and getting the kill.

Reactions: Guy

Guy

I found Bruce Campbell, guys! Now we can get on with filming the Evil Dead TV series!

Nice. I will add that to my repertoire. Never thought about that much.

Moppy

Supporter
Nice. I will add that to my repertoire. Never thought about that much.
When your opponent has a 2h weapon, you can almost always duck under their left-right swing and counter attack at the same time. Works better than trying to block your right side with a shield since the left-right swings are pretty high.

You can also use crouch while swinging for an unblockable foot/leg hit, but if you don't time it right you might trip over.

Edit: aalso, feinting a swing, and then immediately swinging in the opposite direction is a good bait move. I never really feinted that much until the sword+shield chick in the expert arena kept pwning me like that.

Last edited:

Guy

After fooling around, I dropped my torch into this scone. It worked, nice. Anyway, notice how the quality of light is so much better when it is high up. Setting the torch on the table or shelf or whatever gives much better light to fight by than the floor drop. It would be nice if we could double click on the torch (like a key) and use it to light the candles that are lying around as well.

Or light the wicker baskets on fire, that would be nice as an additional light source.

torch scone 1.jpg

Sir NotABot

So you're a pyro as well as a packrat! ;) Nice demo. I've never really paid attention to those sconces. I wonder how frequent they are. How hard was it to get the torch to drop in there? I'll have to try this. Hopefully there will be sconces in those pitch dark long ass hallways filled with zombies.

Guy

Not usually, no. :rolleyes:

But there is plenty of wicker and dry old lumber. Just be sure you don't catch everything on fire. :eek:

Well, moshtly not everything. Moshtly.;)

Guy

New tip that works for me.

I assigned the combat button to "F", the camera follow to "R" and the crouch to space bar.

Reasons. I don't hit "tab" naturally, but "F" is a single finger move to strike, and I don't have to look or blindly search for it when I need it. Took me almost no time to learn this button. Same reasons for "R", since I wanted to bind the space bar to couch as @OddSpierce (and @ Moppy) was talking about. Don't use center camera as much as I did when I started, and an east button like space bar felt wasted for that task.

OddSpierce

Changing crouch to spacebar is actually pretty genius, and now I'm jealous that I never thought of it! I almost never change my camera angle and when I do it's to take a look around a corner or such, not to center behind my character. I'm stealing your idea :p

Reactions: Guy

Guy

Changing crouch to spacebar is actually pretty genius, and now I'm jealous that I never thought of it! I almost never change my camera angle and when I do it's to take a look around a corner or such, not to center behind my character. I'm stealing your idea :p
Honestly, I didn't think of it. I thought I learned space to crouch from you, but upon reading back, I don't see it mentioned. I know I read someone who did this first though, quite certain of that. If it was you, whomever you are, let me know so I can give proper credit.

Guy

Yeah, this game may be the one that makes me break down and get a game mouse. I would like 2-3 more buttons. If we get programmable zoom, I will want 2 buttons on my mouse for that, and then the third would be prolly for either combat toggle or combat interaction (current control button mapping). I have been thinking of moving inventory closer, maybe "E" or Caps lock. I is fine and makes sense, but again, I have to look down for it, I can't just blindly finger it in current WASD/mouse state.

Sir NotABot

Honestly, I didn't think of it. I thought I learned space to crouch from you, but upon reading back, I don't see it mentioned. I know I read someone who did this first though, quite certain of that. If it was you, whomever you are, let me know so I can give proper credit.
That was probably me. I told another guy (maybe you?) about it in a different thread.

Guy

Yeah, that jibes well with my memory that initially thought it was you who posted about it here first, but when I went back to look, it wasn't. I went through your posts but I didn't see it. Can you show me? Did you post that on Steam maybe?

Tips eh?

1. Run the F***er over if you think it's too hard to hit

2. Push them into a corner or table and just start smacking them with a hatchet or Cleaver(preferably sharp)

3. Those wooden Czech hedgehog(big caltrop looking thing), bring one around if you have the time. Your enemies won't really pay attention to it and probably trip over it.

4. It's like chess, corners are a bad place to be. Except for around outside corners with the wall to your left.

5. Leave doors open, you can close them after you for a quick escape, just don't get stuck in a toilet room. 'cept for when you are walking into a single closed room, unless you plan to lead some zombies in for an easy kill or to trap.

6. Remember which enemies are aggressive, carry items and which ones aren't on each level so you know which one to kill and which one not to(or at-least kill later on)

7. If you're in need of a different weapon during combat, use the cursor to turn around and run and then use wasd to move while opening your inventory and you can switch out your items like that. It can be extremely useful in Arena if your opponent has little health left and you just tap them with a axe or hammer to kill or if you need to use a sword and shield/two-handed weapon because blocking just isn't working today.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.