Thoughts and Ideas General

Granville

Insider
For those interested i've created a thread specifically for the unarmed discussion to save from clogging every other thread it's called
Unarmed Fighting (and thoughts there of)

Tony

Insider
I realize that they just attribute weapon use, what I am saying is the soldiers and warriors in Sui Generis most likely do not have any form like that. Maybe it was wide spread across the nobility and such, alright, but the regular western European nation did not have standing armies. They relied on peasant farmers raised into levies to do their dirty work, the majority of people would have no idea what martial arts are.
I don't think the goal in Sui Generis is to become a common peasant farmer. We already know that you will most certainly not be common since you will have access to thaumaturgical powers. If you are going to go out adventuring on your own then you better hope you have more skill than the typical peasant farmer (Bare Mettle has made it clear that the world will be a dangerous place with competent enemies). Whether you start out very weak and have to gain skills to achieve this or whether you start out as a competent fighter, either way you will eventually become way more powerful than a common farmer ;)

I'd say this makes your character in the game lean more toward the elite soldier as opposed to the typical common soldier.

Tony

Insider
Didn't Madoc say you start as a typical peasent farmer?
I believe you start out as an unknown villager; whether that be a farmer, a blacksmith or a baker really isn't of consequence. My point I was making earlier is that you're going to become something much more powerful than the average, untrained medieval soldier.

Kane

Insider
I think Co-op multiplayer would be cool, but the world seems competitive enough without interacting with other players, there is something quite unique and interesting in developing your own story with you against the world. Then going on certain quests with friends and allies.

Maybe an interesting way of producing a multiplayer would be like a Gauntlet, where its just 1 Vs 1? Or in the spirit of Chivalry having certain objectives with teams that have to complete certain objectives.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I think Co-op multiplayer would be cool, but the world seems competitive enough without interacting with other players, there is something quite unique and interesting in developing your own story with you against the world. Then going on certain quests with friends and allies.

Maybe an interesting way of producing a multiplayer would be like a Gauntlet, where its just 1 Vs 1? Or in the spirit of Chivalry having certain objectives with teams that have to complete certain objectives.
Dude, take your contact details out of your sig, or prepare for the ultimatum of pranks.

And guys, please, let's not be childish.

First thing I'm going to do when I load this game up, is fine a big orge, and let him hit me. Free of charge.

Pilluminati

Insider
What I always hated about ARPG's was the amount of loot.
Would be cool if even ordinary/rusty weapons/armors were fairly rare. It's not like they were cheap to make.
I never really understood why rusty swords, etc. were put in the game if they served no purpose in the first place.
I know that Bare Mettle said something about loot feeling special, I just hope it applies to stuff like rusty weapons as well.
Afaik, swords for example were extremely expensive and no ordinary peasant could afford one.

It doesn't have to be extreme, but this is one of the things that ruins the experience of many games imo.
Seeing someone with an armor should feel special. It should signal that the opponent is probably tough or very rich, instead of... oh just an ordinary soldier.

I agree that not every kind of realism is fun (food, etc.). I feel this is though.

Kane

Insider
Would be cool if even ordinary/rusty weapons/armors were fairly rare. It's not like they were cheap to make.
I never really understood why rusty swords, etc. were put in the game if they served no purpose in the first place.
I know that Bare Mettle said something about loot feeling special, I just hope it applies to stuff like rusty weapons as well.
Afaik, swords for example were extremely expensive and no ordinary peasant could afford one.

It doesn't have to be extreme, but this is one of the things that ruins the experience of many games imo.
Seeing someone with an armor should feel special. It should signal that the opponent is probably tough or very rich, instead of... oh just an ordinary soldier.

I agree that not every kind of realism is fun (food, etc.). I feel this is though.

I know what you mean man, but i would liken the loot system to borderlands or minecraft, i know not either of them are RPG's but the loot systems in those games are awesome. I love the fact you do all that searching and find a chest with 1 bit of gold and some bread is like a little incetive as then you find another chest round the corner with diamonds.

Or like borderlands where there is loads of customisation in their weapons and trying to find and even 'build' the best one that suits your playing style.

BrecMadak

Insider
Cuts done by rusty bladed weapons may inflict tetanus if team ever decides implementing diseases, so that using rusty weapons make sense.

TheScythian

Insider
Cuts done by rusty bladed weapons may inflict tetanus if team ever decides implementing diseases, so that using rusty weapons make sense.
I daresay you'd need to be a very defensive fighter if you plan on sticking around long enough for tetanus to kick in.....or maybe you just scratch your enemy and follow them around for a few weeks like a komodo dragon :)

Tony

Insider
I daresay you'd need to be a very defensive fighter if you plan on sticking around long enough for tetanus to kick in.....or maybe you just scratch your enemy and follow them around for a few weeks like a komodo dragon :)
Well, you wouldn't see the effects of a disease immediately and it probably wouldn't change the outcome of the fight you received it during. But it would affect gameplay afterwards. If you decide to keep exploring and not seek treatment is when the consequences would come into play.

Reactions: Rob

Kane

Insider
Well, you wouldn't see the effects of a disease immediately and it probably wouldn't change the outcome of the fight you received it during. But it would affect gameplay afterwards. If you decide to keep exploring and not seek treatment is when the consequences would come into play.

yeh it would be better if it was poison rather then too life like and be a specific desease

Granville

Insider

If a massive multiplayer game play option was implemented, i would like to see it remain sandboxy, and maybe even a little minecraft-esque with servers void of cities or villages but with the ability to build your own home. This would lead to real communities being built in a server, with such villages being able to (not necessarily having to) work together for greater gain. In a situation like this i feel it would be important for PvP to always enabled to contribute to the realism, who doesn't want to join a band of raiders?

Synalon

Insider
I also hope for great character appearance customisation - one of my big problems with many fantasy games is that all of the women are classically attractive and look basically the same while all of the men are just...ugly.

Multiplayer modes also sound fantastic.

Zodeak

Insider
Stealth and/or camoflauge.

Multiplayer sounds just SO good. It HAS TO BE IMPLEMENTED.

Improvised weapons sound like a good idea, but it may be too difficult to implement.

Algea

Insider
I know that this topic is about but I just want to confess that I have nothing particular in mind when it comes to new ideas. I really want to see what Bare Mettle has in their pockets. I have this feeling that something spectacular is coming. The engine as it is is breathtaking, and we haven't seen much yet.

Ogwi

Insider
-ENOUGH PEOPLE. One of the biggest downsides of RPG's I've played is near-dead cities. City-environment with a lot of people is way better/more fun to explore than some forest with only occasional animals/monsters.

-Grabbing, throwing and using furniture and pretty much anything your character can lift as a weapon would be fantastic. Unarmed combat.

-Fully destroyable buildings/environment.

-Player-hosted and controlled servers with persistent world.

-Modding tools

-Focusing on NPC behaviour. Big and beautiful world will become boring soon if you don't have people to explore it with.

-Sneaking. I'm usually playing the sneak/stealth guy and I'd like to be able to do same in Sui Generis. Not invisibility but that NPC's couldn't magically sense you from shadows without actual visual contact.

Pantheon

Insider
-ENOUGH PEOPLE. One of the biggest downsides of RPG's I've played is near-dead cities. City-environment with a lot of people is way better/more fun to explore than some forest with only occasional animals/monsters.
That depends on the world the game is set in. Dark Souls has very few NPCs, mainly because you play in a world after an apocalyptic event, so that fits perfectly. If Sui Generis is set in a barren, desolate world, the cities should look the part, if not, then not, of course.

-Fully destroyable buildings/environment.
How exactly would that work out? What could destroy buildings/environments? Two-handed hammers? Thaumaturgy? The ogre?
And I don't think destructible environments would with that well.
I like destruction as much as anyone, but I don't think that Sui Generis would need fully destroyable environments.

The rest I can more or less agree with. Modding tools are really something I'd love to see. A thriving modding community could make so much more out of an already great game.

Garuul

Hi all. I'd like to voice my suggestions on the game, though some may have already been suggested by others.

First off, great work so far.

My suggestions;

- Story creation/Dungeon building tools.
Delving into the tabletop-style of limitless customization and story telling could be the biggest asset for this game.

- Gibs and gore.
Directional blood streaks from points of collision and blood drips from untended wounds would add a great sense of injury immersion. To go one step further - complete loss of limbs would add a whole new depth to character immersion, especially if you are able to continue fighting.

- Classic Inventory Screen
Two words - Paper doll. The paper doll in RPG games are sorely missed now. Some consider it a dated feature, but for myself and many avid RPG fans, the paper doll is a nice little touch to the inventory system.

- Refined Movement and Combat
In it's current state, the combat system looks a little sludgy and it reminds me of Endorphin engine (see GTA IV). The characters stagger around as if they were drunk. I understand that this is stilll early production and look forward to see new developments in character movement and combat.

- Multiplayer
This feature is a no-brainer.

- Additional subtle immersion features.
Simple features such as screen-shake, when fighting a large boss can go a long way.

- Classic Pen & Paper Character Progression.
Characters should be created and progress as they do with pen & paper RPG games.
Your character should not gain levels, but simply get stronger through development.
* Dodging more often increases reflexes.
* Landing more direct hits increases dexterity.
* Breaking through enemy defenses increases attacking power.
* Healing wounds with bandages increases survivability.
* Blocking more often increases toughness and durability.

* Receiving blows to the head will decrease reflexes and dexterity.
* Leaving wounds untended for too long will decrease survivability and toughness.
* Missing many attacks consecutively will decrease attacking power.

- Immersive Questing System
Completing quests should not grant you "experience points", rather, it should grant you notoriety or honor(depending on your quest choices.)

To go into more detail in this question system -

*Notoriety Quests
These quests may grant great reward of fortune, but come at the price of your honor and prevent future honor quests.
These quests would contain objectives such as ransacking tombs, assassination, thievery etc...

Gaining more notoriety than honor in one town will cause good townsfolk to become hostile or fear you.
Gain enough notoriety and that certain town will become off-limits, unless you can redeem your honor.
(You may still carry out notoriety quests in that town, but at the risk of being attacked by guards and brave townsfolk.)
*Honor Quests
These quests do not grant great rewards, but they do increase honor and influence throughout the town. Gain enough honor and you will be praised by townsfolk and be granted titles, which lead to more honor quests being unlocked.

The choice is completely up to you.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and at least some of my ideas could be considered.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.