Thrust

Hello! :D

First of all I'd like to say keep up the good work! Everything so far is excellent! ^^

Secondly I have thought a lot about the Thrust attack which, if I am not mistaken, will be implemented as a standard attack for a couple of weapons. I thought maybe why not apply it to all weapons intead of a selected few? This has probably already been discussed by the BM team I'm quite sure but it is my honest opinion that even a blunt weapon should be able to have the same "advantages" as other weapons. I do believe this would even the playing fields, even though it might not be as effective or do as much damage when thrusting with a 1h hammer as opposed to a 1h sword, It could give you the possibility of stopping an advancement by your opponent and not only for full damage purposes. Also some axes have tips that stick out beyond the shaft of the weapon and would be neat to be able to do damage with the use of a thrust as well, instead of limiting it to certain weapons; which I fear will have quite an advantage since they will have 4 basic attacks whereas others would only have 3. Especially since thrusting seems to be an extremely effective attack no matter the weapon.

Just my thoughts and concerns regarding the Thrust. I know it isn't implemented yet but from what I gathered from the "stats" of certain weapons I have found Thrust written on only a couple of weapons. Also I am not sure how difficult this might be to implement due to the fact that some weapons have both blade and pointy tip, for example Halberds and the like, or even hammers with a spike at the top of it. But it definitely could make for a vast assortment of exotic weaponry and provide more interesting strategies in combat! ^^

P.S. Wasn't sure if I should have posted this under feedback since it's not yet been implemented.
Thanks for reading
I am very anxious to read your thoughts on the matter. And the communities. ^^

nrage

Supporter
+1 on thrust for everything, even curved swords were used for thrusting, most notably curved sabres were great thrusting weapons from horseback as the thrust actually turns into a cut+draw cut as you pass.

NachoDawg

I agree that blunt weapons should have a thrust attack, but

a blunt weapon should be able to have the same "advantages" as other weapons
I have to disagree. Weapons need to be somewhat different in their functionality :p

nrage

Supporter
I have to disagree. Weapons need to be somewhat different in their functionality :p
Definitely. A blunt weapon can thrust, but it would do a lot less damage. And.. the *type* of damage would be impact, not thrust/piercing - despite the attack action taken.

Think of it this way. You can do almost all the same attack actions with a stick that you can with a sword, the exception being very specific actions like using the cross-guard. You can thrust, slash/strike, even pommel strike, etc. The difference is of course that a sword has a blade and does actual slashing, piercing damage, and a stick only does impact.

"...a blunt weapon should be able to have the same "advantages" as other weapons..."

Yes, what I actually meant by this was the amounts of attacks rather than both weapons "dealing the same damage". The functionality of weapons are reasonably fair at the moment. and I have no quarrel with this. By unfair advantage I meant that some weapons would have 4 basic attacks where others only have 3. This giving the wielder of said weapon more attacks, thus giving him/her indirectly the "advantage". It might not have been very clear on that :p sorry

If you still disagree please try to explain it to me for I might not be able to follow your train of thought. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Bobob

Aren't thrust attacks an issue to implement in terms of hit detection? Also would they not be hard to block?

Nomad

Definitely. A blunt weapon can thrust, but it would do a lot less damage. And.. the *type* of damage would be impact, not thrust/piercing - despite the attack action taken.

Think of it this way. You can do almost all the same attack actions with a stick that you can with a sword, the exception being very specific actions like using the cross-guard. You can thrust, slash/strike, even pommel strike, etc. The difference is of course that a sword has a blade and does actual slashing, piercing damage, and a stick only does impact.
A blunt weapon thrust should be a strong push or interupt attack, me thinks

I am guessing they will implement block/parry against thrusts, and they would have to be timed just as regular attacks are timed correctly. This puts the work involved into better perspective, not only procedural thrust attacks and their animations, but also the block and parry against them. I do hope thrusts will be procedural so we can have lunge thrusts and close up thrust to the torso.

I am also looking forward to be able to charge and attack.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Given what a huge part of combat thrusts will probably be, I´m really holding my thumbs that BM implements them as soon as possible. It could change the way you fight quite a lot and it just seems a bit weird that such a basic thing isn´t in yet, but skills already are.

The sooner they implement thrusts, the sooner we can give feedback and the mechanic can be refined.

RobG

Insider
seems a bit weird that such a basic thing isn´t in yet,
Think you are underestimating how much work goes into the animations. It might seem basic but I bet it isn't.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.