Watch me Play... I made some gameplay vids of my first try at Exanima

Tony

Insider
I've watched all of your videos and it's interesting to see you learn new things. You're definitely improving! This game is one that takes lots of practice to become efficient at and it's a real learning process.

The biggest mistake I see most people make is rushing in and trying to force things in combat instead of going with the flow of combat. Fighting slowly and timing things properly is much more effective in this game than trying to overwhelm your opponent with a fury of blows.

Some more tips for you if you don't mind:

-you can perform a left-to-right attack if you place the cursor to the left of your character's shoulder before initiating an attack. This is useful for taking advantage of an opening from that direction when one presents itself. This is also useful for attacking the side of an opponent that is less defended (like opponents who are wielding a shield).

-you can dodge by double tapping the movement key(s) in any direction. This is useful for closing the distance or creating more distance; proper distance is necessary to land an efficient strike or to get out of harms way when your opponent is attacking. Dodging when an opponent attacks while following up with a counterattack is a very effective way to hit your opponent since they can't parry the attack.

Alex

Insider
Good to hear (kinda) that I'm not alone with that damn guy. lol.
Thanks heaps for watching my video burgzaza. I appreciate your view and comments. Cheers mate!
Have to say number 4 was the better video in regards to my progress although it probably doesn't look like it but if you watched the first one you'd see the difference, although I still reckon that damn rail axle should be an epic two-hander!
Happy to hear you found it fun. I have so much fun playing games I'm glad that comes across.

Alex

Insider
OMFG Tony. You're a total champ. That's some damn beautiful advice I have to say.

I don't thing I mentioned it in my videos but I was thinking that I swear I knew of a way to control the direction of the swing but for the life of me couldn't work out how to do it, or if I did I didn't realise what I did to get it.
That's great.
The double tapping is completely new. had no idea and that will make a huge difference. One problem I had was moving all the time but what I was trying to achieve and failed many times was to have the momentum to move in quickly after I dodge an attack (eg. in arena, that guys double swing). Can't wait to try it out.
I know you guys are probably sick of my videos by now but alas I'm keen to make more, that'll probably happen this weekend when I have free time. The great thing is I still suck enough that my videos stay fairly short. lol.

Thanks for the tips. Bloody Awesome!

Tony

Insider
You can usually use those metal poles it's just a bug. And there are some in the first room in the right with the big logs, you kinda ignored them one time you were there. ;d
Well, you can use the metal rods but you can't use the wheel axle which he was talking about. That would be pretty crazy cause I'm sure the wheel axle is quite heavy lol. It probably has the weight of ten mauls combined.

Alex

Insider
You can usually use those metal poles it's just a bug. And there are some in the first room in the right with the big logs, you kinda ignored them one time you were there. ;d
did I??? oops. that log room. man i looked so carefully each time and never noticed them. =(

Alex

Insider
Well, you can use the metal rods but you can't use the wheel axle which he was talking about. That would be pretty crazy cause I'm sure the wheel axle is quite heavy lol. It probably has the weight of ten mauls combined.
Damn you and your logic. I guess it'll stay as one of those 'wouldn't it be nice' things.

Tony

Insider
Some old videos I made about a year ago to demonstrate what I was talking about in my previous post...

Left-Handed Strikes:
The only real requirement is that the mouse cursor is to the left of your character's left shoulder before starting the attack. I exaggerate the movement in this video just for demonstration purposes.

This video shows some basic tactics using the two-handed sword in the arena:

Hopefully these help :). Looking forward to seeing more of your videos.

Faelivrin

Insider
-you can dodge by double tapping the movement key(s) in any direction. This is useful for closing the distance or creating more distance; proper distance is necessary to land an efficient strike or to get out of harms way when your opponent is attacking. Dodging when an opponent attacks while following up with a counterattack is a very effective way to hit your opponent since they can't parry the attack.
Totes agree with Tony description of double tapping here. I kinda missed on my previous comment, and i can't stress out enough the importance of it. In fact, when i move around in combat it use to be with double tapping, i use one tapping only when i need to take an small step. But always better to be safe of those pointy edges!

Alex

Insider
Some old videos I made about a year ago to demonstrate what I was talking about in my previous post...

Left-Handed Strikes:
The only real requirement is that the mouse cursor is to the left of your character's left shoulder before starting the attack. I exaggerate the movement in this video just for demonstration purposes.

Man Tony you are some sort of guru. Thanks mate. Those videos are bloody great. Hugely helpful.

Alex

Insider
Just quickly wanted to say thanks for all your support guys. As someone pointed out my videos were looking a bit choppy. When I make some new ones this weekend I'll be able to fix that issue by recording with FRAPS. Dxtory was having a fit with this game for some reason.

Thanks for listening.

You can try OBS as well, very solid work. If you have a NVIDIA card, you can use shadowplay with some really excellent quality! Except, it doesn't natively work with OpenGL games like Exanima.

Suggett66

Insider

Left-Handed Strikes:

your videos highlighted something to me that I already knew about but I wasn't sure if it was entirely 100%. This is that as soon as you land a hit on one of the novice arena guys, he/she will almost immediately re attack almost out of spite of getting hit, which I love as I feel they really get frustrated about getting hit which is a "novice" mistake and I haven't really seen it much in the expert arena.

Alex

Insider
You can try OBS as well, very solid work. If you have a NVIDIA card, you can use shadowplay with some really excellent quality! Except, it doesn't natively work with OpenGL games like Exanima.
Nope AMD cards. Yeah I just recently installed OBS but not tried recording with it. I've tested FRAPS and that seems to be working fine. ;-)

Murf

Looking good :) I like using the sword and shield as well. Another tip, that I always seem to forget, yet when I think about it, works very well. If you are in the middle of a swing and they are attacking, just let go of the button, when you aren't pressing any buttons, and facing your opponent, your char auto blocks. Someone, I think it was @tiny lampe , I think, maybe @ZaratanCho , had a good suggestion, just don't try to attack in the arena at first, just use that first guy and move your cursor and your character but don't swing, just block. helps get ya in the groove on how to block

lukors

Insider
You can loot your opponents in the arena (and in the normal game) by double-clicking them while out of combat mode. Should help a bit. Also, when you die in arena or normal game, just press escape and pick new game from there, it's faster than pressing exit and then going in from there.

If you want to fight in a dark place, place your torch on the ground to light up the area. :)

EDIT:
Oh, and don't forget to check here if a new version has been released, patches with nice fixes are changes are coming quite quickly recently.

Last edited:

Alex

Insider
Thanks @Murf and @lukors .

Again you guys are there with the best advice. You guys are the best. I played today for fun and i remembered that you could get items while in the match. I didn't know about the double clicking to loot. there is a shield and mace in the arena when you start just off to the side. The torch idea is a great one also. Love it.

Thanks guys.

edit. Didn't know about the updates. Will check out straight away.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.