What's Next?

Madoc

Project Lead
This is a somewhat hastily written overview of what we're currently working on. I'll expand and improve on it as I find the time to do so.

We are currently working on several things but the next update will be primarily about a new arena mode that is much more complete and offers a great deal more replayability.

The fundamental mechanics of this new arena mode is that you train and equip a group of player and NPC characters to participate in a variety of arena matches, also featuring larger numbers of combatants. You will pay to enter matches and collect winnings if you obtain victory. You will have to manage your finances, purchase items, hire and maintain fighters.

The features coming to the new arena mode in the next release are:
  • Persistent arena mode with progression
  • Create a main character who manages your affairs, but can also fight
  • Bid into matches and lose your bid or win more money
  • Numerous match types with varying participants and teams
  • Character and equipment rank system for match participants
  • Hire NPCs to participate in matches with you or for you
  • Recruit additional player characters to play
  • Shop for items using the money you earned
  • Skill progression for player and NPC characters
  • Permanent death. Rest characters who are seriously injured or risk their death
  • Procedural characters. There are always new characters to fight or hire
  • A variety of arenas for matches to take place in
  • Pugilism matches
This arena mode will be further expanded in future releases with the following features:
  • Outdoor arenas
  • Expand your business with facilities to improve and care for your fighters
  • Reputation and morale system
  • Customisable "heraldry" on tabards
  • Multiplayer matches (LAN or low ping only)

We are also working on finalising the content for the main game. There are a 10 additional maps being developed, we are working on all of these at once and we will probably release them in chunks rather than one at a time. All core assets for the rest of the game have been developed already, but we do still need a few specific things and features for this to become a cohesive and complete experience.

Beyond the portal the game changes quite significantly. Exploring the rest of the content will not happen in a linear fashion, you will be able to go in many directions and move between the maps at many points. The plot will rapidly evolve and present you with choices that can have serious effects on the gameplay experience.

Some other features that are due to make an appearance in the near future are:
  • Swapping between 2 sets of hand-held equipment with a single button press
  • Unconsciousness. When your stamina reaches zero you will fall unconscious rather than die
  • Dual wield combat
  • Thrust attacks
  • Steam Controller support
  • Procedurally generated weapons, including many new types
  • Removal of the paperdoll for a new inventory system

The development goals for the completed game remain more or less unchanged and include:
  • Many more trainable skill techniques
  • Thaumaturgy
  • Ranged combat
  • Co-op and PvP multiplayer (LAN or low ping only)
  • Dialogue and other friendly NPC interaction

That's it off the top of my head. There's numerous things that are not mentioned, either because I couldn't think of them or because they represent spoilers or would make little sense without more context.

ETA: ASAP

Is this Shop system going to be an actual in game shop attached to the arena, or just a menu?
This update looks like it's going to be good.

Last edited:

-Tim-

Insider
Thank you for the update! I haven't even read it yet but the bare fact that you've chosen to spend some time to write an update to the community makes me very happy.

Edit: Now that I have read it I'm even happier. I think the decision to overhaul the arena is a great idea and capitalises well on some of the game's strongest points. I'm curious as to what will happen when the 'main character' dies in the arena. Will we be required to appoint a new 'manager', or will the whole enterprise collapse?

Last edited:

Tottel

Insider
Thank you for letting us know about the upcoming update(s), Madoc.

I am very much looking forward to the overhauled arena mode. But most of all, I am very curious to see how you will present us with plot choices that can seriously change the gameplay experience. I've been thinking about it a little bit, and I am completely clueless as to how that could be done. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.