Computer Specs

Brendan

Developer
Man, that's really too bad.
Getting a new laptop is completely out of the question for me. :(
I have two questions:

1. Will there be toggleable performance/graphics options in-game?

2. I'm confused, how exactly can I find the "GPU" of my computer? Or have I already given it to you?

Also, will turning down the graphics in-game (if possible) help how well the game runs?
There are graphics options already and it will run on a modest GPU, it's just that some of the integrated laptop cards are ridiculously pathetic. If you can play any modern games you'll probably be OK though to be fair.

To get some more info try running GPU-Z and check the listed fillrates: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/

Cooper Holt

Insider
There are graphics options already and it will run on a modest GPU, it's just that some of the integrated laptop cards are ridiculously pathetic. If you can play any modern games you'll probably be OK though to be fair.

To get some more info try running GPU-Z and check the listed fillrates: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/
Thanks for replying. :)
Though unfortunately, I don't really know what I'm looking at here... and, to be honest, I don't know what fillrates are.
Also, what is GPU-Z?

Brendan

Developer
No worries, GPU-Z is just a utility that gives you details of your current graphics card like so:gpuz.gif

Fillrates are just one of many performance statistics of a graphics card, but a pretty good indicator of how well SG will run.

Sorry just noticed that you already quoted your CPU which has an integrated AMD 6520G, so don't worry about running it anyway.

Basically your card is pretty slow (my old desktop ATI 5850 is at least 5x faster) and you probably struggle with most modern games, but it could be even worse and SG might should could run OK on low settings :)

Rob

Is there any way to get a better GPU? I don't mean to sound like a noob here, but I'm new to all this.
On a laptop, not really... unless you're willing to get down&dirty, but I wouldn't recommend it. On a desktop, yes. Easily.

I think that doing a bit of benchmarking once the alpha is out could be a good idea. If we get a load of people to benchmark the game using various hardware setups, we can get a more objective idea about what to recommend as a reasonable setup. Of course FPS will vary depending on graphics options. Does that sound like a reasonable suggestion?

Cooper Holt

Insider
I think that doing a bit of benchmarking once the alpha is out could be a good idea. If we get a load of people to benchmark the game using various hardware setups, we can get a more objective idea about what to recommend as a reasonable setup. Of course FPS will vary depending on graphics options. Does that sound like a reasonable suggestion?
What is "benchmarking"? o_O

MrIdontKnow

Insider
Like Rob said installing a GPU into a desktop is easy, it's basically Fit A into B, with Laptops it involves the full alphabet and you end up making up your own letters. If you're not careful, you can cause a lot of damage.

I hate laptops, horribly designed, bad airflow. Dust magnets, the list goes on. One of my laptops blew up, I hate them.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
Well if it was me, I'd save for a desktop, but it's not me, so whatever you choose, make sure it's your decision and make sure your decision is to buy a desktop. :D

Reactions: Rob

Komuflage

Insider
I have absolutely no idea how to build a computer.
I don't have tools, and I don't think it comes with instructions...

It's a good idea, I just don't have the skills or resources. :(
A lot of serious computer stores offer to put together your computer for you, it will cost a bit, but you will still get better components compared to a brand pc for the same price.

Tony

Insider
The only tool you need to assemble a computer is a screw driver! And there are many guides on how to assemble a PC online. Even in most motherboard manuals they describe the basic process of how to do so. But if you're not comfortable doing so then that is understandable. Though the difficulty level is about as difficult as playing with LEGOs :)

Tony

Insider
What would you guys say was a decent CPU?
And what is the fillrate of a good GPU? o_O
As far as CPU goes it depends on what you're going to be doing. If you do a lot of encoding, video/graphic editing/rendering then I'd say get a quad-core Intel i7 (they have Hyper-Threading - these are virtual cores which basically makes each core act like two). Hyper-Threading is beneficial usually in applications which take advantage of multiple threads. Some games are starting to utilize more threads too. The Witcher 2 is a good example of this. It will use all 6 cores of my hexa-core processor. However, if you're wanting to save money then a quad-core Intel i5 processor will be fast too (these have no Hyper-Threading).

As far as GPUs go I wouldn't get anything less than an Nvidia GTX 660. This card will be able to run most any current game at high or max settings. If you were to buy a slower card I think you'd be disappointed when you had to upgrade it in a year or two when it started struggling to run games. I usually try and get a minimum of three years out of my GPU.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.