Exanima story

Mowglia

Here is the first part of my investigation into what's been going on down there. It only deals with the (distant) past.

Initial Assumptions:
  • That all documents are accurate and true.
  • That recent parchments are contemporary, and that old parchments are also contemporary.

First we investigate the distant past...

A) Theory; Our ancestors mined into the Earth and discovered the Underworld. The Underworld is protected by a Guardian who sent forth Demons to drive our ancestors out. Our ancestors managed to seal the entrances to the Underworld and swore never to return.

Evidence; A book (The Guardian's Wrath). (Ref: L02/018/a).

Notes; The book states that Demons were sent forth to drive our ancestors out and hunt them down, rather than simply hunt them down and drive them out. The book also refers to entrances to the Underworld rather than a single entrance.

B) Theory; There was a cult dedicated to the worship of the Guardian. The Guardian is known as the Keeper of the Dead. The Guardian is responsible for the care of our dead, and possibly giving them life beyond this life. A prophecy exists, that in a time of dire need the Guardian will raise an army of the dead to defend us. The Guardian is our protector.

Evidence; A book (The Guardian Of The Underworld). (Ref: L02/018/b).

Note; Given the prophecy we can assume that the Guardian is not simply responsible for watching over our dead, but is in fact our protector.

C) Theory; The architects of Level 4 were members of this cult, known as the Conservers. A significant function of Level 4 was storage for vast numbers of documents. Either the Guardian, or his avatar, takes the form of a spider. The Demon on Level 4 was sent forth by the Guardian to protect the Underworld from intruders.

Evidence; A parchment (old) found east of Papin's rooms on Level 2 reads; "I have been informed that the conservers have spies amongst us. Despite our differences I cannot imagine that they're looking to harm us, or even impede our mission here. I cannot in truth see much reason to prevent them from knowing our progress, I am inclined to just let them get their information rather than waste resources and encourage doubt and suspicion amongst us." (Ref: L02/022).

Clearly the architects of Level 4 were competent builders and their beliefs and duties are reflected in the design of the area, which (as we know it) is in part a massive library. The primary symbology is that of a spider. Given we know the Conservers worshipped the Guardian, and their primary symbology is that of a spider, then we can assume that the Guardian is the spider.

Since the Demon was encountered on Level 4 and the Guardian is the only entity (we know of) with the power to send forth a Demon, and considering our location (probably deep underground) and history (#L02/018/a), then presumably this Demon is as described (in The Guardian's Wrath).

Notes; The Guardian's Wrath states the Guardian sent forth Demons, rather than a single Demon. The Demon found on Level 4 (aka Sir) could be one of the original Demons. Its behaviour (to attack on sight) appears to conform with its task as set by the Guardian.

D) Theory; The architects/occupants of Level 4 were from the same civilization as the architects/occupants of Levels 1 through 3. The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 communicated with the occupants of Level 4, although they had their "differences". Engineers from this civilization operated across all four levels, and their origin was Level 4. This civilization was our own ancestral civilization.

Evidence; Clearly the occupants of Level 4 were in contact with the occupants of Levels 1 through 3 (#L02/022) and spoke the same language (or could at least translate).

Two individuals operating on Level 1 (Darrin, possibly the commander, and Naiss, an engineer (#L01/016/b)) have names similar in style to an individual operating on Level 4 (Dassin, presumably the head librarian (#L04/038)).

The blue lights found across all four levels (whilst not identical) were almost certainly constructed using the same process, and probably by the same engineers (from Level 4), given the design of the lights on Levels 1 through 3 is reminiscent of styles and symbology originating on Level 4.

Given we can read and understand (most of) these documents then we can assume this civilization comprised our own ancestors.

Notes; If the "spies" from Level 4 could not blend in then they would presumably be of little use. The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 appear to have been primarily soldiers, and the occupants of Level 4 appear to have been primarily cultists/bureaucrats.

E) Theory; Engineers from Level 4 built the Portal. The Portal was the primary means of interaction between the occupants of Level 4 (Conservers) and the occupants of Levels 1 through 3 (the "Soldiers"). The Portal was used to move a significant quantity of material and supplies.

Evidence; Level 4 is covered in a strange regular symbology, part angular, part curved. The Portal itself is part angular, part curved. The similarity is overtly obvious, including (but not limited to) the symbology adorning walls, the design of the spider (especially the body), many designs on the Conserver Council's Table, chairs, torch-fittings, and gates. In numerous cases the design of the Portal is strikingly similar to the symbology found on Level 4.

Given the Portal exists and connects Level 4 to Level 3 then we can assume that this is how they travelled and communicated. The extensive storage facilities and huge volumes of supplies on both sides of the Portal imply that the Portal was also used to move a significant quantity of material.

Note; It is not clear in which direction the supplies and material were moved, or the purpose of doing this. Nevertheless, given the scale of the endeavour, we can speculate that the reason was either offensive, defensive, or construction (or any combination thereof).

F) Theory; Trouble was brewing on both sides of the Portal. The Soldiers (on Levels 1 through 3) were facing a threat from the outside. The Conservers were experiencing some form of internal dispute (Terschenn was doing something that not all Conservers agreed with). At some point violence occurred on Level 4 (#L04/034/a). The Demon somehow got into Level 4, which would account for the violence. It seems likely that the release of the Demon was linked to Terschenn's activity.

Evidence; A book found in the court room on Level 2 (east of the armoury) is a log filled with detailed reports of people violating certain rules. Most of these rules are obviously aimed at preventing the entry of intruders. They are strict and elaborate to the point of seeming a product of paranoia. (Ref: L02/017).

A parchment (old) found near the vault on Level 1 states "In response to our surprising failure we've installed Naiss's ingenious mechanism as a final precaution against intrusion." (Ref: L01/016/a).

The huge door in the south of Level 1, possibly the main entrance, has been barricaded. This implies the occupants expected to be attacked from outside. (Ref: L01/008).

There is a large map on Level 2 (northwest). Two positions on the map (in the north/south hills) describe "watchers" which implies some level of threat, and indicates the map is being used for (potential) military activity. (Ref: L02/019).

A parchment (new) inside a desk in Papin's rooms (on Level 2) states; "Clearly this was once a place of military activity, but who were they fighting? Were we once at war with these people? It would seem we won. How could such events be completely erased from our history?" (Ref: L02/020/b).

(#L02/022 - see above).

East of Papin's rooms on Level 4 are two (old) parchments:

"Venerable Aderon, I understand that you are conflicted, but I must ask that you keep the voicings of your misgivings to within the council. You cannot hope to stop this now, you will only cause disquiet and potentially worse. Please remember the responsibility that comes with your position. Terschenn." (Terschenn is presumably the head of the Conserver Council). (Ref: L04/035/a).

"Our glorious hero is little more than a killer. Now that his deadly work is done he cares nothing for the consequences. Murder our gods so that we may be free. And lost. I will not forget who saved us from oblivion. We have been warned, far worse is coming and our demise is now inevitable." (Presumably written by Aderon, a Conserver Council member). (Ref: L04/035/b).

A parchment (old) on Level 4 inside a cabinet in the southwestern end of the library; "Burn, burn it all! A lifetime watching over things that I must now consign to the fires. For what? The teachings of a monstrous traitor? The sorry truth is that no one is willing now to admit they were wrong, too much was invested, it couldn't be for nothing. And so we go forth and burn the path behind us, let blind hope be our guide." (Presumably written by Dassin, head librarian). (Ref: L04/039).

A parchment (old) found on a skeleton wandering Level 4 (west); "When I took this oath I told myself my life no longer mattered. Now that courage, that sense of purpose, is fading fast. I look to the others for strength, but I find the same doubt in their eyes. They mocked us and now I see the truth of it. This is senseless." (Presumably written before his body was resurrected by Papin). (Ref: L04/040).

Extract from a (new) parchment found in Papin's rooms on Level 4; "These dead guards, perhaps I could call them into action." (Ref: L04/034/a).

Notes; It does not appear that the external threat managed to breach Level 1, assuming the barricades (#L01/008) are old rather than recent. It is unclear whether the Conservers and Soldiers ever fought amongst themselves (given they seem to have been cooperating, despite their differences). On the War Map in Level 2 is marked a position referred to as "UnderEarth", which could well be our current location (at least before we used the Portal).

Summary:
  • Our ancestors discovered the Underworld, a place hidden deep inside the Earth.
  • A Guardian protects the Underworld.
  • The Guardian sent forth Demons to drive our ancestors out.
  • Our ancestors sealed the entrances to the Underworld and swore never to return.
  • There was a cult dedicated to the worship of the Guardian.
  • The Guardian is known as the Keeper of the Dead.
  • The Guardian is responsible for the care of our dead, and giving them life beyond this life.
  • A prophecy states that the Guardian will raise an army of the dead to defend us (i.e., the living) in a time of dire need.
  • The Guardian is our protector.
  • The architects of Level 4 were members of this cult, known as the Conservers.
  • A significant function of Level 4 was storage for vast numbers of documents.
  • Either the Guardian, or his avatar, takes the form of a spider.
  • The Demon on Level 4 (aka Sir) was sent forth by the Guardian to protect the Underworld from intruders.
  • The architects/occupants of Level 4 were from the same civilization as the architects/occupants of Levels 1 through 3.
  • The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 communicated with the occupants of Level 4, although they had their differences.
  • Engineers from this civilization operated across all four levels, and their origin was Level 4.
  • The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 were primarily soldiers.
  • The occupants of Level 4 were primarily cultists/bureaucrats (Conservers).
  • This civilization was our own ancestral civilization.
  • Conserver engineers built the Portal.
  • The Portal was the primary means of interaction between the Conservers and the Soldiers.
  • The Portal was used to move a significant quantity of material and supplies.
  • Trouble was brewing on both sides of the Portal.
  • The Soldiers were facing a threat from the outside.
  • The Conservers were experiencing an internal dispute.
  • At some point violence occurred on Level 4.
  • The Demon somehow got into Level 4, which would account for the violence.
  • Terschenn's activity explains the release of the Demon.

Conclusion:

It is probably best to leave things there for now. Of course we could speculate that survivors from Level 4 (and perhaps Level 3) escaped deeper into the Underworld, but this is probably premature given we haven't yet seen the whole of Level 4. We might also speculate that construction of the Portal did not itself constitute a breach into the Underworld (although it might have been part of such a plan), but pffft, who knows? We need more data. We could even speculate that the Conservers attempted to kill the Guardian itself (or its avatar), but let's not even go there...
Anyway, this accounts for the past insofar as I can determine it. There will inevitably still be inconsistencies, so please point them out when you find any. Also please ignore references (unless you find them useful), they are merely there to enable me to keep track of documents, observations, etc.

When I've got time I'll probably deal with the present.

Here is the second part of my investigation into what's been going on down there. It deals with the recent past and the present.

Initial Assumptions:
  • That all documents are accurate and true.
  • That new parchments are all contemporary.

Next we investigate the present...

G) Theory; Two thaumaturgists were living and working on Level 1 (Thaven and Papin). Thaven was the master and Papin the apprentice. Papin was upset with Thaven, having been driven from his former home by peasants due to Thaven's behaviour. Thaven had an agreement with Hamon to (discreetly) kidnap or otherwise lure people in from outside to serve as subjects for his research. Hamon was careless and sent too many people down. Fearing for their safety Thaven and Papin were forced deeper into UnderEarth. At some point Thaven and Papin became separated.

Evidence; A couple of (new) parchments found in what appears to be the commander's residence on Level 1 (northwest central):

"So far results are disappointing. I suppose I should have expected as much after the initial dramatic progress. I am seeing some improvement but I feel as though I need a change of direction to really go further. If only poor Papin was still with me, exchanging thoughts with him would benefit me greatly." (Ref: L01/014/f).

"I feel a growing resentment for Thaven. On the one hand I wish to please him, impress him, but such thoughts then lead me to anger. I once believed there was friendship between us, now I think perhaps it was based on naught but common interests. His disregard for all things other than his single minded purpose has hurt us, it has put us all in difficulty and danger. I was always feared, but I was also respected. To be driven from my own home by peasants!" (Ref: L01/014/b).

A (new) parchment found in Thaven's lair on Level 2 (northeast); "I've been avoiding relations with my subjects as it could become a serious impediment to my work. I did not imagine that I would miss human contact so much. Papin could have carried my legacy but I now treasure his friendship and company more than anything. Even so I deeply regret the loss of a lifetime of imparted knowledge and teachings. If I were to succeed poor Papin would never truly have reaped the benefits of his apprenticeship but he accepted this but he was always eager and gratef-

-s too late now, I must not dwell on it any longer." (Ref: L02/018/c).

A (new) parchment found on the floor of the largest room on Level 1 (northwest); "Hamon has obviously cast aside our agreement. He's sending far too many down here and I've lost all contact with him. What is he trying to do? One of these wretches confessed that he was told to seek treasure. Someone will notice all these missing people. And what if one finds me while I sleep? I no longer feel safe here, I have locked the doors but I should venture further and look for something more secure." (Ref: L01/015).

There are bones on Level 1 (west) near an array of cells, that do not appear to be human. The area appears to have been used to incarcerate prisoners. Given the equipment in the vicinity then presumably experiments were being conducted on the prisoners. There are also a couple of barred wagons that were presumably used to transport prisoners from outside. (Ref: L01/009).

A (new) parchment outside Papin's rooms on Level 2 (northwest); "That idiot and his thugs are still sending many down here. I must admit I am impressed by his methods, in some ways he is less a fool than he appears. I must take advantage of this and resume my research while I still can. I've yet to find a place where I w-". (Ref: L02/021).

A letter on the corpse of Mathis on Level 1 (north); "Dearest Mathis, Elara has disappeared. Many have gone missing of late but bandits in the area are not uncommon. Elara however does not travel, why would they have taken her? I dread to think what they might do to her. I thought of a ransom and so, I am ashamed to admit, I thought of you. But there have been no requests for ransom, just more and more missing. I assume news of these events has not reached Ardent, it has been long since we've seen a proctor. What am I to do dear cousin? Will you at least advise me? Tessa." (Ref: L01/004).

Notes; Mathis may have been killed while looking for Elara. The undead 'zombies' appear to be the remainder of the subjects. There is an unidentified male on Level 1 (west) near the locked door, presumably killed by an undead. There is another unidentified female behind the locked door. Since the key is present it is possible he locked her behind the door for her own safety, yet died before he could release her, whereupon she also died.

H) Theory; Thaven has an illness. Thaven has attempted to remove the mind/soul/brain from one of the subjects (or undead). Humans are powerful, immortal beings that have forgotten their true nature. Some ghosts have the power to shape things within our own realm.

Evidence; A (new) parchment found in a cubicle in the infirmary on Level 1 (southwest); "I think my illness has worsened since coming here, I often feel confused, as if battling conflicting thoughts. My temper keeps getting the better of me, an aggressive trait I never knew I possessed. Perhaps it is simply a response to all that has happened. Even so it scares me, I don't recognise myself. I must make a greater effort to retain my composure." (Ref: L01/010).

A (new) parchment found in Thaven's rooms on Level 2 (northeast); "I discovered a truly miraculous substance. It produces a faint light and a pungent odour, when I touched it a wound on my hand I acquired during my cuttings healed rapidly. It was astounding. I have experimented with it but so far it has proven ineffective against my illness. If only I could find more. It is well hidden, obviously it is something of great value. I thought perhaps the lamps contained this substance but I was unable to break one open, when I finally removed one from the wall it lost its light." (Ref: L02/018/d).

A (new) parchment found in a theatre in the infirmary on Level 1 (southwest); "They lose the will to live without their bodies. They seem completely bound to their mortal remains. Is it just because of their lesser minds? I have attempted to sustain one with nothing left but th... Gods below, what am I doing? It is horrifying. Sometimes it is as if I suddenly awake to realise that I am fuelled by rage, as if I hold these poor souls responsible for what has befallen me." (Ref: L01/012/b).

A book at the main desk in the infirmary on Level 1 (southwest) detailing a long list of people undergoing treatment from often grievous wounds. Many of the injuries appear to be bites and lacerations, presumably resulting from the attacks of some kind of animal. (Ref: L01/011).

A book (Desconstructing Humanity by Aldair Hanks) in a theatre in the infirmary on Level 1 (southwest). It is a medical book on human anatomy consisting of mostly diagrams and surgical terminology. There are many underlined passages and circled diagrams in the section that deals with the brain. (Ref: L01/012/a).

A book (The Forgotten Power) in Thaven's rooms on Level 1 (northwest central); According to this book humans are powerful, immortal beings that have forgotten their true nature. That by living your life by a certain moral code, perfoming certain rituals and eating a certain diet, you can achieve great power and ultimately unlock your dormant immortality. (Ref: L01/014/c).

A book (Forgotten by Aime Koren) in Thaven's rooms on Level 1 (northwest central); A scholarly book about memory and cognizance. What we forget and why we forget it, how we choose to make a history for ourselves regardless of the facts, how we are defined by the wholly unreliable and subjective thing we call memory. (Ref: L01/014/e).

A book in a room on Level 1 (southeast) near the mess halls; The book presents itself as nothing more than a collection of absurd theories on the existence of ghosts, however there are parts written in a different tone. "There is an innate power in the ghost realm, unlike the physical world it is not governed by the constraints of matter or the laws of physics. A ghost can conjure anything, any object or power they can simply call into being, much as we do when we dream. This however requires keen awareness of their condition, an understanding of their realm and their place within it. Most ghosts wander in a state of confusion, at the mercy of twisted thoughts and perceptions, but not all. There are those that have awakened, or perhaps never slept, never were in a dream like state. These wield great power, they can shape things not only in the ghost realm but within our own." (Ref: L01/006/a).

Notes; It is possible the injuries (bites and lacerations) were caused to the subjects by Thaven himself (during lapses of control), although if this is the case then why would he record the injuries? It is more likely these injuries were caused to soldiers in the past (see previous post regarding Theories of the Past) by a dangerous creature. If so, then are these (#L01/009) the remains of such creatures?

I) Theory; Papin had a change of heart regarding Thaven's activities. Thaven has a specific world-changing mission, presumably not merely to cure his illness. Thaven believes in an entity referred to as the Spellgiver (and may be searching for it). The halls of UnderEarth echo with the souls of the long dead. There is another presence in UnderEarth (possibly the Guardian or the Spellgiver).

Evidence; A (new) parchment on Level 2 (northwest) in Papin's rooms; "This place begins to intrigue me. Thaven understands more things than I imagined. What if he is right? It would change everything. How could we be so ignorant? If I had more time I believe I would undertake his mission. I wonder what changes he has brought about now with these discoveries. These are important times, I would live to see them." (Ref: L02/020/a).

A (new) parchment in a tavern on Level 2 (north); "I'm sitting in a tavern, something I have not done in a long time. Alas it is quite empty and all the drink has spoiled long ago. These people cannot have been so different from us. And yet some things are very strange. There are lamps and even fires that never burn out, but I do not understand the source of their power. These walls echo with the souls of the long dead but beneath that I sense something else, like a far reaching presence, it is faint but everywhere, and very strange. Could this be the mythical Guardian? Or even Thaven's Spellgiver?" (Ref: L02/023).

Notes; Thaven's primary mission might not be to cure his illness, but to find the Spellgiver (unless this amounts to the same thing). Papin is referring to ghosts rather than the undead zombies (see later).

J) Theory; Despite Thaven's already dubious practices, he is now a self-confessed murderer (and therefore a criminal). Thaven found a helmet that protects him from the influence of the presence (and other minds). Thaven believes the presence is malevolent, and causes unrest and aggressiveness in his subjects. One of Thaven's subjects found a remarkable weapon (possibly the Executioner's Sword) and escaped.

Evidence; A (new) parchment in Thaven's rooms on Level 3 (northeast); "A Proctor! Just as I feared, and yet I grew complacent. She was well prepared, obviously she had some idea of what to expect, it was only luck that she didn't kill me. I cannot stay here, I must hide and prepare defences. I don't know how I will be able to continue my work. The Proctor would have made an excellent subject, a shame I had to kill her so. I will leave her here to impede any who would pursue me." (Ref: L03/026/a).

There is a resurrected proctor wandering the corridors of Level 3 (east). She carries a seal that represents the law of Ardent. (Ref: L03/025).

A (new) parchment in Thaven's rooms on Level 3 (northeast); "I have found a helmet which blocks my power when I wear it. Perhaps more importantly it shielded me from the noise of other minds, that presence that has haunted me since I came here was gone. Shortly after donning it I fell asleep, I am certain it was not its power that did this but the calm that came over me, I had not slept so well in quite some time. I feel certain now that it is this presence that causes unrest and aggressiveness in my subjects, clearly it is malevolent." (Ref: L03/026/b).

A (new) parchment in Thaven's rooms on Level 3 (northeast); "One of my subjects found a most remarkable weapon and escaped, making quick work of anything in his path. I was surprised by his ability to guard his mind against me, I tracked his escape for some time but he then completely vanished from my senses. How did he do that? Who is he?" (Ref: L03/026/c).

Notes; Does the Executioner's Sword (also) possess the ability to block the noise from other minds? If Thaven was referring to the Executioner's Sword, what was it doing locked inside a room?

K) Theory; Thaven is vulnerable while wearing the helm (which he needs to protect him from the presence). Spirits (ghosts) wander the halls of Level 4. Papin was attacked by the Demon and resurrected the skeletons to distract it (to cover his escape). Papin's objective was to become immortal, a quest he has now abandoned. Thaven's objective is not to become immortal, rather something else. Papin is now attempting to contact Thaven to help and share knowledge.

Evidence; A (new) parchment near the Portal on Level 4 (north); "What terrible place is this? A thunderous voice shouts unintelligibly in my mind, as though trying to command me with wordless urgency. It's as though it wants to both urge me and soothe me, I am terrified that I may succumb to its will. This strange helm is my only respite, but it leaves me vulnerable. There is also a constant wailing of ancient restless spirits, has this presence been keeping them from finding peace?" (Ref: L04/031).

A (new) parchment on Level 4 in Papin's rooms; "I have never been so terrified. I was attacked by a huge dreadful creature. A demon perhaps? I tried to control it, but though its mind felt completely unguarded, it was oblivious to my intrusion. I was only able to confuse it briefly and get away, I am defenceless against this thing. I dare not venture out again. These dead guards, perhaps I could call them into action. I don't imagine they could do much against such a monster, but the distraction might cover my escape." (Ref: L04/034/a).

A (new) parchment on Level 4 in Papin's rooms; "I fear I don't have long left. I have abandoned my efforts to escape death. It was foolish, and yet I have accomplished so much. I must try to send word to Thaven, he will see the importance of my work, even though he is concerned with other matters. I believed Thaven's pursuits to be as hollow as my own, a stubborn refusal to accept bitter truths. After what I've seen here anything seems possible. I will spend the rest of my days discovering what I can, I can still be of help." (Ref: L04/034/b).

Notes; Papin presumably managed to escape the Demon, as did Thaven. Although there was a single undead zombie in Papin's rooms, it is likely to be an underling (or subject) rather than Papin himself. Levels 1 through 3 are presumably UnderEarth, whereas Level 4 is presumably the Underworld (given the presence is much stronger).

Summary:
  • Two thaumaturgists were living and working on Level 1 (Thaven and Papin).
  • Thaven was the master and Papin the apprentice.
  • Papin was upset with Thaven, having been driven from his former home by peasants due to Thaven's behaviour.
  • Thaven had an agreement with Hamon to (discreetly) kidnap or lure people in from outside to serve as subjects for his research.
  • Hamon was careless and sent too many people down.
  • Fearing for their safety Thaven and Papin were forced deeper into UnderEarth.
  • At some point Thaven and Papin became separated.
  • Thaven has an illness.
  • Thaven has attempted to remove the mind/soul/brain from one of the subjects (or undead).
  • Humans are powerful, immortal beings that have forgotten their true nature.
  • Some ghosts have the power to shape things within our own realm.
  • Papin had a change of heart regarding Thaven's activities.
  • Thaven has a specific world-changing mission, not merely to cure his illness.
  • Thaven believes in an entity referred to as the Spellgiver (and may be searching for it).
  • The halls of UnderEarth echo with the souls of the long dead.
  • There is another presence in UnderEarth (possibly the Guardian or the Spellgiver).
  • Thaven is a murderer.
  • Thaven found a helmet that protects him from the influence of the presence (and other minds).
  • Thaven believes the presence is malevolent, and causes unrest and aggressiveness in his subjects.
  • One of Thaven's subjects found a remarkable weapon and escaped (possibly the Executioner's Sword).
  • Thaven is vulnerable while wearing the helm (which he needs to protect him from the presence).
  • Ancient spirits wander the halls of Level 4 (presumably the Underworld).
  • Papin was attacked by the Demon and resurrected the skeletons to distract it (to cover his escape).
  • Papin's objective was to become immortal, a quest he has now abandoned.
  • Thaven's objective is not to become immortal, rather something else.
  • Papin is now attempting to contact Thaven to help and share knowledge.

Speculation:

The following has not been dealt with in the usual manner (as it is a little more complex). It concerns the final page of the original letter in our inventory; "... and assist him in whatever way you can. If all else fails then recover any information he has gathered and bring it to me. There is potential in you, succeed here and we will find a place for you." Badly scribbled across the back of the page are the following words; "There is another way out" (Ref: L01/001).

Regarding the letter itself, there are four possibilities:

1) The letter was addressed to ourself, and refers to Thaven or a third party.

2) The letter was addressed to Papin, and refers to Thaven.

3) The letter was addressed to a third party, and refers to ourself or Thaven (or another third party).

4) We fell down a hole in the ground and 'accidentally' ended up with a letter that has nothing whatever to do with us in our pocket.

Option 3 is highly unlikely. Since we might be female the letter cannot refer to ourself (i.e., this letter was not sent to a third party who has since reported back to us). Moreover, we see no evidence that a third party is still underground attempting to help either Thaven or another third party (although it is technically possible given the proctor appeared from nowhere having left no apparent trail), and this would present the problem of how we came by the letter in the first place (unless it was dropped by said third party). Nevertheless, there is a remote possibility that the letter was addressed to a third party, refers to Thaven (or another third party), and was dropped and acquired by ourself as said third party escaped UnderEarth (however unlikely).

Option 2 is more plausible yet also unlikely, that the letter was addressed to Papin and refers to Thaven. However, this would imply that Papin had been sent to assist Thaven, and if all else fails recover any information Thaven has gathered and bring it back to the third party that sent Papin. Except there are problems with this. Although Papin was assisting Thaven, and currently his intention is to continue to assist Thaven, there was a period when Papin resented Thaven and had clearly decided to pursue his own goals. So given the opportunity, and assuming Papin's objective was to collect information and report back, why did he not do this? And why does Papin never mention this task in any of his musings?

Another problem is that Papin has clearly been Thaven's apprentice for a long time. When they are separated Thaven states that "I deeply regret the loss of a lifetime of imparted knowledge and teachings" - they have been together for a lifetime. Are we seriously to believe the third party that sent Papin to assist Thaven is prepared to wait a lifetime for Papin to report back, not that Papin shows the slightest indication of actually bothering to report back?! Also Papin was forced to flee his home (outside) by irate peasants rather than simply volunteering for such a quest, which would presumably rule this option out completely.

Option 1 is more likely, that the letter was addressed to ourself and refers to either Thaven or a third party. If the letter refers to Thaven then we appear to have volunteered to enter UnderEarth and assist a murderer with his rather questionable research (although Thaven might not have been a criminal at the time the letter was written). Presumably our 'employer' is a thaumaturgic order who is willing to "find a place for us" in return for assisting Thaven or at least returning useful relevant information.

An alternative scenario is one in which we volunteered to enter UnderEarth to assist a third party, perhaps a proctor, presumably to assist him in preventing Thaven from completing his activities. In which case our 'employer' would effectively be the law, and we would be working for what? A place among proctors? Or simply a place to live at Ardent or similar? This sounds somewhat tenuous, although it is worth remembering what Thaven said regarding the subject that found the weapon; "One of my subjects found a most remarkable weapon and escaped, making quick work of anything in his path. I was surprised by his ability to guard his mind against me, I tracked his escape for some time but he then completely vanished from my senses. How did he do that? Who is he?"

An Executioner's Sword is a sword designed specifically for decapitation of condemned criminals, and also known as a Sword of Justice. Thaven is without doubt a criminal (at least as far as Ardent is concerned). Has this weapon been left for us by the third party we are supposed to be assisting? If so, then why would this third party not themselves attempt to either capture or execute Thaven? And how would they know we were coming? And if they did know we were coming, why would they not leave us a note?

Which leads us to Option 4, that we fell down a hole in the ground and ended up in UnderEarth with part of a letter that has nothing to do with us in our inventory, and are presumably now looking for an exit (while pursuing whatever course of action we see fit along the way). Which seems somewhat random, and still begs the questions; who was the letter addressed to? Who sent it? How and why did we acquire it? Why would we bother keeping a letter that was irrelevant to us?

Conclusion:

Just...wtf, basically. Having taken this as far as I can I am now left with more questions than answers.

If you twist my arm I would probably guess at some variant of option 1 being the truth. But you would have to twist it pretty hard.
Obviously do not read this stuff unless you've already investigated everything up to and including Level 4! Even then I'd recommend not reading it unless you're struggling to put everything into context. There's a lot of fun to be had figuring this stuff out for yourself while you're actually down there.

If you do read it then please bear in mind a lot of it is likely to be wrong, don't take any of it as gospel. Just consider it one possible interpretation of events.

Finally, I probably won't do this again. I'll be too busy either playing Arena or exploring more myself :D

@Mowglia Your observations and theories are almost identical to mine. You put everything together in a logical manner and did not make presumptions to facts without proof. I am gonna throw some observations I noticed, it wont be as structured as yours as I am too lazy to do it right now :p

I do not think the executioners sword is the remarkable weapon, this is because the locked room is mentioned in an older scroll and as the key is still around the authors chambers we can presume that it has been locked since (the executioners sword crossed my mind initially). I believe we are yet to meet this subject that fled and this could work in different ways.

They would spawn in all NPCs at the start of the level and allow them to choose their paths themselves. NPCs have a goal system where they have temporary and more permanent goals. The subjects goal could be "escape" and could lead them through different paths each time, maybe they get killed, maybe they encounter Thaven again, maybe Papin, Sir, You....etc and I can imagine how each playthrough can have a completely different and dynamic story.

Also how was the subject able to shield their mind, could they also be someone sent like you? Could they have an item that helps protect against mind intrusion? Could it be thaumaturgy?

Also we could have possibly been sent by Hammon.

Something I am still unsure about is the note in our pocket when we awaken. It basically has 2 messages, and the fact that it says "Badly scribbled across the back.....", was this written by the original author of the note or by someone else? If it was written by someone else what does it mean/change?

I believe your theory on lvl 1-4 and lvl 4 belonging to the same civilisation as correct. I believe lvl 1-3 was the expedition into the normal world.

Note: The architecture is different because the assets for lvl 4 were changed recently and I believe it was initially meant to look like lvls 1-3.

Mowglia

I do not think the executioners sword is the remarkable weapon, this is because the locked room is mentioned in an older scroll and as the key is still around the authors chambers we can presume that it has been locked since (the executioners sword crossed my mind initially). I believe we are yet to meet this subject that fled and this could work in different ways.
Excellent observation! I can't believe I missed that :eek:

So they must be different weapons, and the subject is still at large.

They would spawn in all NPCs at the start of the level and allow them to choose their paths themselves. NPCs have a goal system where they have temporary and more permanent goals. The subjects goal could be "escape" and could lead them through different paths each time, maybe they get killed, maybe they encounter Thaven again, maybe Papin, Sir, You....etc and I can imagine how each playthrough can have a completely different and dynamic story.
This would be amazing, I can only hope they do it. Initially I assumed the whole concept of a story would be rather restrictive (i.e., one playthrough and that's it done), but implemented in this fashion I think it will be quite the opposite. With enough variables in play every single playthrough will probably be different.

Something I am still unsure about is the note in our pocket when we awaken. It basically has 2 messages, and the fact that it says "Badly scribbled across the back.....", was this written by the original author of the note or by someone else? If it was written by someone else what does it mean/change?
Unsure about, heh. That's one way to put it. It's driving me nuts! The more I think about that letter, the more confusing it becomes.

If the scribbling wasn't done by the original author then it implies that either the addressee did it, or that the letter was acquired by another party who did it (in which case the addressee might not have survived). Perhaps Hamon intercepted the addressee (or the other party) and he became the subject that escaped with the weapon? How did we acquire the letter, perhaps via Hamon?

If it was addressed to us, then who scribbled across the back? Perhaps it was the original author but if so then why wouldn't they simply include this within the letter itself? Perhaps it was done by someone while we were unconscious? Perhaps that someone also removed the first pages?

If it was addressed to a third party then it doesn't appear to refer to Thaven, given Papin appears to be his only assistant (and it's unlikely the letter was addressed to Papin).

Yet if it was addressed to a third party and refers to another third party, then why would we even bother keeping something that wasn't relevant to us?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Like you say, Hamon could have thrown us down here. The letter might have nothing to do with us. It might even be addressed to Hamon or one of his thugs.

Regardless of the origin of the letter, we do have one piece of relevant information; "There is another way out." It may be as simple as that.

I will drop another analysis to back up the subject still being at large. I suspect that when the subject vanished they had gone through the portal and that's why he couldn't be tracked. I suspect the subject may be like us and have some inherent thaumaturgy hence why they were able to shield their mind, maybe this could be Elara as she is already mentioned but this is just wishful thinking I think.

I also believe it is too early to speculate on what happened in the underworld in the past as we are just venturing into it but I believe you are pretty close. If the large barred doors in the large hall on lvl 1 lead outside then the structure of the building makes some sense. The only thing is that it seems to aim some of the defences towards lvl 2 as well,e.g. The Maze is setup so you cannot enter or control it from the lvl 2 entrance. I may simply be over thinking it as well. Need a fresh playthrough to take notice properly.
I think there is a normal world civilization which is younger than the civilization of the underworld. We could be the descendants of the initial explorers from the underworld. Possibly they settled in the normal world and it is their descendants who have thaumaturgic abilities (pure speculation). But I believe the underworld civilization had 2 factions (or more) that were at odds with each other as you have said.

Edit: Cuz this part gives away a secret
Also I think you missed "Zuhik"? The glassmaker who imports contraband. The things surrounding him raise some questions ; import contraband from where? Also where did he get a magically imbued item? If it is from lvl 4 why doesn't it share the same aesthetics? Or it could just be a different style and material. It could also hint at a different civilization.

One thing that annoys me on the theory of Lvls 1-3 and lvl 4 being the same civilization is the stark contrast in architectural style, but most of all that I would have expected some furniture from the home civilization in Lvls 1-3. I know the lvl 4 assets where just made so it explains why it isn't there. But still just that detail can bring the whole theory crumbling down.

P. S. I am writing this while smoking a joint

Last edited:
Also I think you missed "Zuhik"? The glassmaker who imports contraband. The things surrounding him raise some questions ; import contraband from where? Also where did he get a magically imbued item? If it is from lvl 4 why doesn't it share the same aesthetics? Or it could just be a different style and material. It could also hint at a different civilization.
It most likely is a different civilization. If you remember back in level 1 I believe, there's a book in a court-room with a book about punishing people for bringing objects from the outside world, in.

Mowglia

I will drop another analysis to back up the subject still being at large. I suspect that when the subject vanished they had gone through the portal and that's why he couldn't be tracked. I suspect the subject may be like us and have some inherent thaumaturgy hence why they were able to shield their mind
Of course! Thinking about it that's about the only viable way the subject could "completely vanish" from Thaven's senses, apart from sudden death. It also indicates there's a significant distance between Levels 3 and 4, presumably downwards. So we know the subject is heading deeper into the complex.

I don't know much about thaumaturgy yet, so I'd better not comment on that...

The subject is male which rules out Elara. Except now you brought it up, there's a dead female behind a locked door on Level 1. She's the only recent female corpse other than the proctor. Could this be Elara?

The corpses appear to decay. There are the spirits (remains presumably long gone), then the zombies (fairly rancid), but there are fresher corpses too. Mathis, the two individuals on either side of the locked door on Level 1, and the proctor all seem fairly recent.

I think there is a normal world civilization which is younger than the civilization of the underworld. We could be the descendants of the initial explorers from the underworld. Possibly they settled in the normal world and it is their descendants who have thaumaturgic abilities (pure speculation).
Same here, I think there is an unresolved issue regarding age or language. There is a book on Level 1; The script and some of the spelling seems very unusual. What we assume are dates have a format we can't make sense of.

And what Papin said; "These people cannot have been so different from us. And yet some things are very strange. There are lamps and even fires that never burn out, but I do not understand the source of their power." - bearing in mind a thaumaturgist is saying this.

We can understand everything else ok, why not that? Is it old? Is it written in a different 'scientific' language?

What you said about the descendants of the Underworld having thaumaturgic abilities is a good idea, we should definitely bear that in mind going forward.

I didn't miss him! He's Ref: L03/026/d, and Ref: L03/024/a & b ;)

But yup, I didn't post it for a couple of reasons. I thought that might be a spoiler too far. Also, it didn't seem particularly relevant to the question of who were these people, what were they doing, and what happened?

I just presumed he imported that from outside (rather than Level 4) - as Orlackthereof said, they were quite strict (even paranoid) about security. Although now you mention it, if Zuiek's helm did come from Level 4 then perhaps Zuiek was one of the Conserver spies?

One thing that annoys me on the theory of Lvls 1-3 and lvl 4 being the same civilization is the stark contrast in architectural style, but most of all that I would have expected some furniture from the home civilization in Lvls 1-3. I know the lvl 4 assets where just made so it explains why it isn't there. But still just that detail can bring the whole theory crumbling down.
How I think about this; just because people are from the same civilization doesn't mean there won't be radical differences. An emperor is very different to a pleb. We could explain it with a caste system. Additionally we already know there was a degree of separation; "The conservers have spies among us" - maybe they were the equivalent of priests in ancient Egypt, or even further removed than that?

And if the Level 4 assets have only recently been made then I'm minded to let this settle down for a bit before probing deeper.

You're right though, a single detail like that can bring a theory crashing down. And why not? Wrecking things can be fun! I'll leave it for another post, but yeah - let's have a go at ripping this thing to shreds o_O

Mowglia

Previously I said I've taken this as far as I can, which isn't strictly true.

However, thus far we based everything on documents and observation, and we compiled the evidence to explain what's been going on, whilst hopefully avoiding inconsistencies. Almost like proper investigators! Except there is another possible explanation as to how we got here and what we are doing. My apologies in advance, I have no excuse for this. It's not rational, and it's based on little more than tenuous circumstantial evidence at best. Basically it's a hunch. There are many inconsistencies. But I'm compelled to add this in the name of completeness, posterity, whatever...

Since this is wild speculation I won't put it inside a spoiler, because that would imply there's some truth to it, which there almost certainly isn't. Nevertheless:

We have sensible explanations for everything around us. The zombies are subjects that Thaven has been experimenting on. The skeletons are guards that Papin resurrected. The demon was sent by the Guardian to drive our ancestors out of the Underworld. The halls around us echo with the souls of the long dead. Oooh look, we got a torch that never goes out. And magic lights on the walls. We don't eat or drink. Great! And now we're going to carry on poking around in the bowels of the Underworld like we're on a Sunday picnic.

Just. No.

This is not normal. Whichever way you look at it, this is very far from normal. You might say it's an extremely abnormal situation. We ought to take a step back and think about this!

So here's a theory;

We died. And now we're a ghost, or...something. On our own personal journey into the Underworld, which is exactly where we belong. This is why we're here. Because we're dead, and dead things cannot be anywhere else.

Everything around us is dead. Dead zombies. Dead skeletons. Dead explorers. A dead proctor. Dead bodies everywhere. Even things that move are dead. Spirits and bones everywhere. The only thing I've seen that could possibly be alive is the demon, and for all I know that's dead too. Ah, but what about Thaven and Papin? They're definitely alive and we're on their trail...

Except, are they? We know Thaven has/had an illness. Maybe he died? We know Papin was forced from his home by peasants. Maybe they killed him? Or maybe he just died of old age, given he fears he hasn't got long left. Would they even know they were dead? Did we know we were dead?

What about some of the circumstantial 'evidence'? We know Thaven has been experimenting on subjects, so where are they? Where are the living subjects? Even if he killed them and 'accidentally' forgot to mention it in his musings, they're definitely dead now. All of them. Every single last one. Although, what if some of them were still alive? Then they wouldn't be here, because they're not dead.

And what Papin says; "These people cannot have been so different from us. And yet some things are very strange. There are lamps and even fires that never burn out, but I do not understand the source of their power. These walls echo with the souls of the long dead but beneath that I sense something else, like a far reaching presence, it is faint but everywhere, and very strange." - even a thaumaturgist is struggling to get his head around this! Presumably he would recognize thaumaturgic power? Does he even know where he is?

Do we really believe we can stroll into the Underworld, the realm of the dead; "Heyooo, don't mind me, just passing through..."

Let's face it, there's only one way to get here. And we're not just passing through. We're here to stay.

But wait, how can you kill a ghost? If we're already dead, then how can we die? And we die a lot. Or do we? We can 'kill' a zombie, right? So, is it more dead now than it was before we killed it? Or are we 'merely' changing its state? As Thaven said; "They lose the will to live without their bodies. They seem completely bound to their mortal remains. Is it just because of their lesser minds?" - I have no idea how this works, but if we can 'kill' a zombie, wouldn't it be inconsistent to assume a zombie can't 'kill' us? After all, we're both already dead. Maybe they are severing our soul from our mortal remains?

Perhaps we're just another zombie waking up in a room? Albeit a 'fresher' one. I'm half expecting myself to start to rot.

The book about ghosts states; "There is an innate power in the ghost realm, unlike the physical world it is not governed by the constraints of matter or the laws of physics. A ghost can conjure anything, any object or power they can simply call into being, much as we do when we dream. This however requires keen awareness of their condition, an understanding of their realm and their place within it. Most ghosts wander in a state of confusion, at the mercy of twisted thoughts and perceptions, but not all. There are those that have awakened, or perhaps never slept, never were in a dream like state. These wield great power, they can shape things not only in the ghost realm but within our own."

What if we are a ghost or undead, wandering in a state of confusion, trying to understand this realm and our place within it?

Now I'm not saying this is true! I'm only saying that something smells a bit dodgy down here. And I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be us...

We still don't know about our ripped letter we get. and why it looks like we fell through the roof when we start.
And what if the order of the letters we get isn't so linear? Maybe Thaven and Papin were moving around and left their notes in different locations in different order. Your saying that everything here that has died and has been reanimated is also due to some kind of thaturmagical animation. Doesn't seem to explain why everyone(judging by their clothing)is pretty much where they should be when they were alive. Blacksmith is found in smithery, more higher-ranking people are more often found in an office or nicer living quarter, what would appear to be some kind of surgeon is found in the ward's office, and a prison guard is found by the prison.

Mowglia

We still don't know about our ripped letter we get. and why it looks like we fell through the roof when we start.
Unfortunately there's no easy way to explain that letter (as far as I can tell). We can only hope it's been covered under one of the many possibilities discussed so far. The last post simply states that we could be here because we died. How? Who can say? We might not remember. It's even possible we died falling down the hole, or we were thrown down dead.

And what if the order of the letters we get isn't so linear? Maybe Thaven and Papin were moving around and left their notes in different locations in different order.
I'd assume this to be the case regardless of whether we died or not.

Your saying that everything here that has died and has been reanimated is also due to some kind of thaturmagical animation.
I'm saying the exact opposite! Previously we assumed these zombies were here because Thaven reanimated them (as he did with the proctor). But under the above scenario the dead are simply here because they're dead (like us). The Guardian might be responsible for their reanimation for all we know. This could explain why there is nothing alive down here, or if there is then we can't see/interact with it (yet).

What I can't get my head around is this; we know Thaven was experimenting on living prisoners and explorers. So where are they? Where are the survivors? Everyone here is dead. Of course it's possible he killed them all, but it's also possible he didn't.

The possibility of us being dead isn't so much an explanation as an observation, although it would certainly explain why we are here and how we got here.

I'm not saying I believe this. At least, not yet. But I think it's worth bearing in mind until we can rule it out. Hopefully we're alive, otherwise we'll have some serious sanitation issues to deal with along with everything else.

Here's my take on it :

- lv. 4 & 1-3 come from the first civilisation, lv. 4 being occupied by the conservers and the rest being built to venture further in our world or some other reason, eventually leading to the rise of "Sir".

- I think that the second civilisation discovered what the first had built long ago and began to make themselves at home (placing all sorts of craftsman shops and bedrooms and all.) This one might be Fendrick and his squad trying to discover what was at the origin of this dungeon and the portal to pursue necromancy, who knows.

- The third is what we really speak of in-game (Thaven & Papin, Mathis, Hamon & all)... wich is pretty clear to me : Hamon has an agreement with Thaven, Papin finds his helm (wich kinds of remind me of the litany of adralla from DA Origins, anyone?) and all that stuff we're discussing.

On the "subject" topic, I think we still haven't found him.

On the famous last page of the letter, I have an interesting theory - well I think it is - in wich the note leads up to all kinds of possibilities from wich we pick our favourite one. It lets the player think about his own backstory, how he has got the letter, what he really seeks in the UnderEarth and how he/she really got there : kind of another aspect of character creation if we think about it that way, at least.

I've seen some posts here and there going on the subject of a possible "war" between some factions, whatever they may be. There is also someone who wondered why we didn't see any soldier corpse or traces of dead guards... Here's what I think :

- The war could've been between the second civilization (Maybe Fendrick) and the outside world. The recent one can't be at war with the outside world because they are sending people there all the time (The letter on the floor in lv. 1 mentionning many adventurers comming into UnderEarth.) It just wouldn't make sense for some adventurers to delve in an ancient crypt or dungeon for loot while it's being attacked or at least in a siege-ish state.

- It also cannot be the first one because, based on my theories seen just above, the second civilization would've put the old barricades down to build rooms and at least some storage, considering the barricades and the military stuff is getting more important the closer we are to the surface (The second civilisation having discovered the dungeon and the portal, they obviously came from the surface... so where the barricades are, it's the first place they would've started to accomodate.)

So if it doesn't make any sense that the third civilization (Thaven & friends) was at war and if the second one would've destroyed the barricades if they would've been made by the first one, It obviously is the second that was at war and built the barricades. For the question of the absence of corpses, I think I can explain :

- There is a note in lv. 1 - in the hospital-like rooms - speaking of many injuries that seemed to have been infilicted by claws or some kind of animal. The way I see it, the second one - by trying necromancy things and investigating the portal (on the orders of Fendrick maybe?) - Met with "Sir". They retreated through the portal with their wounded to try to get them back on their feet, explaining the "beast-like" injuries and why "Sir" has yet to be beaten when we arrive : -The first civ. awoke him, the second didn't success in killing him and the third one woke up some skellies to flee from it.

Tadaa! Let me see what makes sense and what doesn't. :)

Mowglia

There is a note in lv. 1 - in the hospital-like rooms - speaking of many injuries that seemed to have been infilicted by claws or some kind of animal.

This is all interrelated. As far as I can tell what has happened is this:

The war that occurred in the past (that Papin refers to, the barricades are for, the battemap is about, etc) was not an internal conflict, or a conflict between human civilizations. It was a fight between humans and some other race/species, and like Papin says, humans won. The remains of them can be found in northwest Level 1, there's a large skull, (possibly) a leg bone, and the pelvis strewn around operating tables.

If you look carefully you can see they were 'experimenting' on the other race (i.e., investigating it), presumably to find out what it was and learn more about it. It also explains the cells in Level 1, and the operating tables that aren't located in the infirmary. The infirmary itself was used to treat human soldiers (suffering from bites and lacerations).

In other words, Thaven didn't install the surgical/prison facilities in UnderEarth, he was merely using what was already there. Since the fort already contained both cells and operating theatres then Thaven would have likely found it an ideal location for his 'research'.

So you have the soldiers of UnderEarth (Levels 1 through 3) fighting this other species...

Meanwhile the conservers (Level 4) are definitely in contact with the soldiers, although not directly helping them at this point; "I have been informed that the conservers have spies amongst us. Despite our differences I cannot imagine that they're looking to harm us, or even impede our mission here. I cannot in truth see much reason to prevent them from knowing our progress, I am inclined to just let them get their information rather than waste resources and encourage doubt and suspicion amongst us."

The Portal might already have been built by this time, but if it wasn't then it was definitely built around this time, because we know a vast quantity of materials was being (or about to be) moved between UnderEarth and Level 4. Building a Portal is the logical way to achieve this (given the soldiers couldn't safely go wandering around outside). What we don't know is which way the resources were moving, although it seems highly likely that the conservers started helping the soldiers and moved materials through the Portal to help with their defences.

Eventually it seems the soldiers managed to defeat the race/species they were fighting and presumably that was that, and the fort (UnderEarth) was no longer required.

However, something else was going on regarding the conservers themselves. Terschenn, the head of the Conserver Council was doing something (presumably risky) that at least some other conservers were concerned about:

Now consider the history of humans; "Our ancestors, in their mad lust for power sought more, they began to dig deep into our Earth, in search of her lifeblood. And so by digging they uncovered the Underworld and its fearsome Guardian. He sent forth terrible demons to drive them out and hunt them down. Before all could be slain, our ancient kin sealed the entrances to the Underworld and swore never to return."

As far as I can tell the conservers are the descendants of our ancient kin, presumably tasked with the role of guarding/monitoring the entrance to the Underworld and making sure humanity doesn't make the same mistake again.

Except Terschenn appears to have made precisely that same mistake again, because somehow a demon got into Level 4. It is possible the materials transferred via the Portal were required by the conservers and supplied by the soldiers in UnderEarth, although this is unlikely considering the release of the demon was presumably an unexpected event (although as previously stated some conservers had their doubts about Tershenn's activities).

This accounts for the past. But what about the future?

Bearing all the above in mind, and taking into account the theories of both the past and present, then it is likely we can expect to find the following:

1) Thaven and Papin are somewhere beyond the area of Level 4 we have explored thus far.

2) The subject (with the weapon) is also somewhere beyond the area of Level 4 we have explored thus far.

3) Somewhere on Level 4 (or relatively nearby) will be the entrance to the Underworld, assuming we're not already in the Underworld (unlikely, but see the previous post regarding ghosts). This entrance might actually be open.

4) Possibly an as yet (presumably) unidentified individual (referred to in the original letter), also beyond the known area of Level 4, that either ourselves (or a third party) are (supposed to be) assisting. It is possible this individual has entered in an attempt to close (or open) the entrance to the Underworld, to explore beyond the entrance, or simply to determine what happened down here.

5) The trail and remains of Terschenn and the other conservers as we discover exactly what they did, also somewhere beyond the known area of Level 4.

zhuliks

Insider
A (new) parchment found on the floor of the largest room on Level 1 (northwest); "Hamon has obviously cast aside our agreement. He's sending far too many down here and I've lost all contact with him. What is he trying to do? One of these wretches confessed that he was told to seek treasure. Someone will notice all these missing people. And what if one finds me while I sleep? I no longer feel safe here, I have locked the doors but I should venture further and look for something more secure." (Ref: L01/015).

A (new) parchment outside Papin's rooms on Level 2 (northwest); "That idiot and his thugs are still sending many down here. I must admit I am impressed by his methods, in some ways he is less a fool than he appears. I must take advantage of this and resume my research while I still can. I've yet to find a place where I w-". (Ref: L02/021).

Hamon and the thaumaturges had an agreement and Hamon was chosen as an ordinary not very smart gang leader, whos task was simply to lure people in. But apparently Hamon wasnt as dull as he appeared, like a thug who was hired just to carry big heavy bags from a hideout, he sensed something big is going on down there.

The fact is Hamon didnt respect an agreement they had and started to send a lot of people down there. Such behavior is rather odd, why would a stupid thug go out of his way to send a lot of people without even getting paid (they lost contact)? It appears Haamon got more influence and thus with bigger gang could snatch more people or contacted 3rd party like some thaumaturge organization who could be interested in what Thaven is doing or at least shed some light on it. It aslo would explain why they started to send a lot of people, thaumaturges would have more influence and as soon as they realized what might be at stake they used the influence to do Hamons job much more efficiently.

Hamon person is very interesting and promising, very unusual behavior based on what we know of him. I say they (he and his gang or 3rd party) became very impatient with Thavens research and tried to speed it up with more people and then even sent you because again - no feedback and were very impatient.

Another interesting part from those pieces of lore is Thavens "I have locked the doors but I should venture further and look for something more secure." I assume he refers to 1st level mandatory door as its the only one that really prevents us from going forward, this also suggests that the way we fell in is the only way in currently (I assume its a crack or a light shaft as obviously barricaded gates are the main official entrance) and its was a way Hamon sent people in. Odd part is why Mathis had the key to those doors Thaven locked and especially why the key was on the other side of those doors.

Next lets look at these books

Book
A catalogue exhaustively describing many common and unremarkable plants in great detail. It's hard to image why anyone would undertake such a pointless endeavour.

Book
A detailed log of various materials being delivered and dispatched. The script and some of the spelling seem very unusual. What you assume must be dates have a format that you can't make sense of.

My 1st thought was that those books were so old that by the time we find them all the unusual plants of that time became common, but its a clumsy one. If we consider the fact that 4th level inhabitants were constantly contacting people on levels 1-3 and exchanging resources through a portal its fair to assume book is from beyond a portal, so further I think that the area of lvl4 is not just deeper into the ground but is located rather far from where 1st 3 levels are, a different land, where common plants of 1-3lvl land are uncommon and people speak with a bit different dialect, also it might lack woods (a desert?) so wood was sent to low levels through a portal.

A (new) parchment on Level 4 in Papin's rooms; "I have never been so terrified. I was attacked by a huge dreadful creature. A demon perhaps? I tried to control it, but though its mind felt completely unguarded, it was oblivious to my intrusion. I was only able to confuse it briefly and get away, I am defenceless against this thing. I dare not venture out again. These dead guards, perhaps I could call them into action. I don't imagine they could do much against such a monster, but the distraction might cover my escape." (Ref: L04/034/a).

This is an interesting one, its confirms that monster (aka Sir) is definitely a creature sent by the guardian. His mind is completely unguarded, a creature specifically designed to be easily controlled. Papin couldnt get a hold of it as more powerful force was currently in control and Sirs confusion was only caused by Papins will trying to input some conflicting commands, like 2 voices trying to tell Sir what to do simultaneously, which confirms Sir was indeed being controlled by someones will at that time.

Some said Sir might have been a product of human experiments or anything else beside guardians puppet, but that description from Papins writings disprove that assumption.

Now the Guardian, I strongly doubt he is an actual spider, I doubt any of cultists(?) even knew or saw how he looks. I see them picking a spider a symbol because unknown guardian is malevolent creature that works from shadows and controls everything with its wide web of controlled creatures.

P.S. zombie in Papins room on lvl4 might actually be Papin. He is properly clothed, has a good weapon, can block. Thaven wrote that that malevolent will, that voice that tried to command him is so strong that he might succumb to its will. Papin was injured and less powerful than his master, besides he tried to control Sir, which gave real Sirs master a reason to be interested in Papin more than usual.

Last edited:

Mowglia

I tried to get as much of the existing story on video as possible; Playlist

Basically it is a thorough evidence-led investigation of the story during a single playthrough. Some problematic elements (such as the original scroll, for example) have not been dealt with. Other more recent theories have also not been addressed. However, it does give a basic overview of what is likely to have happened and why.

Since the entire complex is covered along with all the evidence this series might also be useful when referring to said evidence. Given the complex is traversed in a roughly linear manner then the evidence can be checked on video rather than having to manually do it.

Videos 5 - 8; Level 1
Videos 9 -12; Level 2
Videos 13 & 14; Level 3
Videos 15 & 16; Level 4

Obviously the chance of all the conclusions being correct is low. This is merely a likely scenario based on the evidence. But as we consider the evidence and discover more then we can refine existing theories or replace them with new theories.

Anyway, hopefully this will be of some use and help with your investigations.

zhuliks

Insider
I tried to get as much of the existing story on video as possible; Playlist

Basically it is a thorough evidence-led investigation of the story during a single playthrough. Some problematic elements (such as the original scroll, for example) have not been dealt with. Other more recent theories have also not been addressed. However, it does give a basic overview of what is likely to have happened and why.

Since the entire complex is covered along with all the evidence this series might also be useful when referring to said evidence. Given the complex is traversed in a roughly linear manner then the evidence can be checked on video rather than having to manually do it.

Videos 5 - 8; Level 1
Videos 9 -12; Level 2
Videos 13 & 14; Level 3
Videos 15 & 16; Level 4

Obviously the chance of all the conclusions being correct is low. This is merely a likely scenario based on the evidence. But as we consider the evidence and discover more then we can refine existing theories or replace them with new theories.

Anyway, hopefully this will be of some use and help with your investigations.
Watching 1st video I must add that you can also see mold/wet floor around the place you were lieing which together with natural light color suggests above is a surface under a sky and probably its an old way in. Other facts (like 3 dead bodies with a woman that other were seraching for) suggest that hole in the ground was the usual way Hamon sent people in, now we might have been pushed into the hole-in-the-ground or fell through it while searching for it in the tall grass, but the main reason we wake up facedown on the floor is to tell the player(you) that the character came from above, not wake up in that room, kind of a meta reason.

"Another way out" might be the main gates and countless other ways in the underworld mentioned in books.

Velmyr

I notice that this thread hasn't been posted to since last year, i hope people haven't given up on this story since so much effort went into it. Sure the mystery of the player character has subsided a bit since you can start as a Proctor in a new game but still the intrigue of the fort itself is still strong.

Velmyr

I had a theory about all the scrolls scattered about..what if theyre actually not linked to our two antagonists but some of them are actually from other people who may have been working in the fort before they were turned to zombies by some internal strife that obviously befell the inhabitants..i mean those two thaumathurgists couldn't have been the only people alive down there at given points in time..perhaps that's why they all seem so disjointed

What if the original zombies were made by the guy mentioned in that famous book throughout his 40 years of experimentations to save his family and the two thaumathurges just stumbled upon his work and picked up where he left off though that wasn't their original idea. It seems to me the original objective they had was to find the source of magic

Also what if Hammon wasn't a bandit from outside but the captain of the guard inside the fort and 'sending them down' refers to sending of prisoners from level 1 down to level 2 where the experiments were being performed..now you'd assume that he was a bandit because his men are refered to as thugs, but then law enforcers weren't ever very popular with any folk and were almost always refered to as thugs or bullies.

Last edited:

ZaratanCho

Insider
The zombies and scrolls are definitely pretty recent. There are 2 types of scrolls, the older ones are clearly differentiated. You find lots of old scrolls on level 4 but there are some on other levels as well.

And by that book the story is deep in the 'culture', being told to children and such, meaning the events with Linus are from quite the distant past.

Some things are made fairly clear by now, like the kidnappings to send the people in there(almost certainly so they can be used for the experiments by whoever was there). Also adding to that you have the proctors being sent over to investigate the disappearings and so on, the knight as well. Pretty straightforward.

Old and recent stuff is pretty easy to tell apart. Some of the logs and generic looking books are from old times as well. Skeletons are old inhabitants and ancient undead. All visually different and with the according gear. The clothing on the 1st levels, the clearly recent killings, the letters(1 about Elara in particular, that whole scene).

Whoever went there did so with a specific purpose, surely brought some of those books with them as well, if not all of the new looking ones. Also the unknown starter parchment is of note.

The original inhabitants is ancient times, 'course over a long period of time other groups might have settled there for short times at least.

The parchments don't seem at all disjointed to me. Saying "those 2 thaumaturgists/2 antagonists" seems like assumption as well, like other things that seem very clear. ;d

Velmyr

I'm just trying to take a more simplistic approach to the whole thing, all the theories brought fourth so far had to involve some sort of governmental conspiracy to allow for such heinous things to go on for such a long time. As for the mysterious starting letter my best conclusion is that it was grabbed by our character in the struggle with the kidnappers, as for the second part written on the back my conclusion on that is that since it was poorly and vaguely written one of the people sent down there found our unconscious form sprawled on the ground, went through our pockets and scribbled their message on the back of it since in medieval times most of the common people were illiterate hence why its so poorly done.

We are never given an indication of how long we are unconscious, could be moments, could be days..as to the observation on decay of the zombies we have to remember that dark magic was involved and in all fantasy literature dark magic always has the side effect of leaving unpleasantness in its wake

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.