Locked door in map room(spoilers possibly)

So, I've logged quite a bit of time into Exanima, but I still can't find a key to the small closet behind the map room. Either I've just been using the wrong keys or a missed one, Is there even a key for it?

Murf

Answers lie within... (well, more of a hint than an answer, don't want to give it away, exploring is half the fun ;) )

The key for that room lies past the next door after the map room, though it does not lie to far past. If you made it to the end of the hall in that next room, you've already passed the key.

Level 2 is alot more confusing than level 3, I may of had been missing that one door in my 5 runs through level 2. or I just opened the door and got distracted from walking in...

Murf

You, me, lots of others.

Don't think flipping a table would make any difference in finding this key.

Impressive, that table never moved for me.
Basically what happens is that, A mob of zombies always shows up in that area, and I end up retreating into that room somtimes, and hitting the table can knock the key off it into the shadows where it blends into the ground.

zhuliks

Insider
Basically what happens is that, A mob of zombies always shows up in that area, and I end up retreating into that room somtimes, and hitting the table can knock the key off it into the shadows where it blends into the ground.
That reminds me I had a suggestion for small item, well for all usable items preferably to have a small sparkle effect once in few seconds, because with physics based environment there will always be important quest items rolling into dark corners. Or if constant hints are too casual have a "look around" button like in old text rpgs which would make all usable items around do a feint sparkle thing.

That reminds me I had a suggestion for small item, well for all usable items preferably to have a small sparkle effect once in few seconds, because with physics based environment there will always be important quest items rolling into dark corners. Or if constant hints are too casual have a "look around" button like in old text rpgs which would make all usable items around do a feint sparkle thing.
Perhaps a part of Thatrmagic could be the ability to highlight items.

Murf

That was brought up before the release , cannot find the thread, but Madoc mentioned that they did not want items to be highlighted, could be wrong but I think that was the jist. Was a while ago, So don't take it as gospel.

Iscandar

Highlighting objects breaks immersion for me. Objects of reasonable importance do not highlight themselves for me when I want them to be found, forcing me to look everywhere and under everything.

Plus, I enjoy the frustration of thinking every caliper, tong, or tweezer is a key until closer inspection. It's so much like real life - it's great. No sarcasm.

zhuliks

Insider
Well another way to make sure important thing arent missed is to place them properly - level design. Placing small key on a bright table surface is good for spotting it, but if there is fight in that room before its bad as its a high chance table will be flipped, would be much better if key was on unflippable table, the kind you csn loot.

Health potion umder pile of boxes is a great example - its obvious because of glow, but still makes you look under, if there was a dark small key under same pile of dark boxes on a dark floor in shadows it woild have been a horrible design.

Another thing then - no highlighting, but if a cursor is over a usable item it changes, how abou that? It would make it possible to hide a key in a crack in the wall or between rocks in the same wall, also help to find small dark objects in the shadows.

I think the level design is quite good, I only missed the secret room on my first playthough, I knew there was a magic helmet around but couldnt find it then. I think having a player actually pay attention and search is a good mechanic rather than making it a collect em all game where every collectible is obvious. Imagine the game isnt tailored to us but has a living world independent and uninterested in the role the player plays. A dying man will not drop the key he is holding neatly on a table for the player to come and oh so conveniently find.

If the cursor changes then it will turn into a "run your mouse over everything till something pops,hidden object game". I think the devs have the right idea about level design so far and Madoc said they are doing changes to the current content as he was not totally satisfied. :):) This game getting even more awesome or what??!??!?

Murf

Well another way to make sure important thing arent missed is to place them properly - level design. Placing small key on a bright table surface is good for spotting it, but if there is fight in that room before its bad as its a high chance table will be flipped, would be much better if key was on unflippable table, the kind you csn loot.

Health potion umder pile of boxes is a great example - its obvious because of glow, but still makes you look under, if there was a dark small key under same pile of dark boxes on a dark floor in shadows it woild have been a horrible design.

Another thing then - no highlighting, but if a cursor is over a usable item it changes, how abou that? It would make it possible to hide a key in a crack in the wall or between rocks in the same wall, also help to find small dark objects in the shadows.
I am pretty sure this is the exact kind of thing the Dev's are trying to avoid when they created this game.
We have gotten spoiled playing all these games that hold our hand and walk us through every step. Giving us not-so-subtle pointers on where to look for things.

We have no idea what happened to these people down here. But there seems to be every indication that things happened suddenly and they did not really have any time to pack, and put things neatly away where they belonged.

Personally I am glad there is finally a game that holds me responsible for my actions. Not only is the combat not a point and click spam-fest, but the game itself doesn't give you blinking arrows showing you what to do and where to go.

Horrible level design? I guess if you are playing a game that was made to be a game, then that might be true. Exanima/SG is more of a world you are getting put into. Is your house setup the most efficient way possible? Your kitchen? Your garage? I enjoy this deviation from the video game norm and am happy as hell the Devs do not plan and making the game 'easier' just because it isn't like the type of games we are used to playing. Make me work to acquire things, don't just hand me a a kick ass mace because I helped round up some chickens. If I am going to decide to venture into an underground world. don't give me a way-finder. Make me work for it.

if there was a dark small key under same pile of dark boxes on a dark floor in shadows it woild have been a horrible design.
Horrible design? This is an RP game (role playing) You are to put yourself into your characters shoes(or boots, or Uggs), Just suppose for a minute, many years ago when this underground place went to hell, one of the last survivors was being attacked by a creature, as he laid there, slowly being transformed into an undead horror, he took that key(that unlocked a room that held powerful items, too powerful some might say) and he took that key and slid it under a pile of broken boxes and debris, with his last bit of human strength and sound mind, he hid that key, did what he could do to try and make sure no one ever found it. He stashes the key under the debris in the corner.
A few hours later, a mysterious force reanimates his body and he mindlessly wanders for eternity, all thought of they key and the treasures it kept safe forgotten. Now I come along a decade or so later, sure sometimes I might kill a zombie that has keys on him, awesome! Great news! But I can't expect all keys to be gotten so easily. A small key hidden under a bunch of boxes and debris does not say horrible design to me, it says deep consideration for the story and an attention to detail unparalleled in the video game market. This is what BM has done with Exanima and Sui Generis.

TBH I never really knew I wanted any of these things until I first saw the KS trailer and then started playing the game. But I am glad I was indoctrinated into it. Sure I still play other games, but every now and then in the back of my mind I hear a small sigh as I enter a room and things are flashing at me 'Look at me! Look at me!"

(Sorry, rant over)

Thanks for making me work for it Bare Mettle.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.